• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Help Desk: FAQ & Links & Introductions, ASK HERE! (Soon Resuming)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
It's alright. I really don't see why it's that good either besides all the gimmicks and whatnot. =/

I'd rather go to RC or Delphino or Halberd as Kirby.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Brinstar is good because it makes Meta Knights quit.

Really though, it's just a generally good Kirby stage. I personally like it because after I got used to it, I had the edge because most of my opponents simply aren't used to it because a lot of people seem to hate the stage (like I used to) and they make excuses about the stage when they lose ^_^

It has close sides for early KOs via Kirby's amazing Fsmash, and it has platforms to abuse (upair/back air through platforms works wonders)

It's basically like Battlefield, with more room in between platforms (which is good because I hate Battlefield's layout) and a stage hazard that can mess people up big time. And you can refresh your moves on the thingies on the stage that you can hit.

RC, Delfino, and Halberd are indeed good as well. I personally don't see Delfino as a great stage, depending on your opponent. People with good spikes, or good wall infinites can be dangerous there. It really all depends on your opponent @_@ I wouldn't pick Brinstar against Snake most of the time, or various other characters.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Ah cool. Interesting stuff there IMO. Guess I should play on that stage more. I don't hate it, it's just I never really get to play on it often.

Thanks for not turning my question into a federal case. I had a BAAAAD day yesterday and I'm still not in the mood to take c*** from anyone. -_-

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Ah cool. Interesting stuff there IMO. Guess I should play on that stage more. I don't hate it, it's just I never really get to play on it often.

Thanks for not turning my question into a federal case. I had a BAAAAD day yesterday and I'm still not in the mood to take c*** from anyone. -_-
Here's something I just came across while searching for something else (which I can't find)

This is from quite some time ago.

Okay, so I just did some testing on Brinstar, and if this isn't already listed as "one of kirby's best stages", then I think maybe it should be. Here are some reasons it's so good for him:

-Close sides for early KOs from fsmash, dsmash, hammer, aerial hammer, wall of pain, some copied powers.
-Short ceiling for early KOs from upsmash, dsmash, aerial hammer, hammer, upthrow, upair at high %
-Spiking people into the acid
-I figured out what happened on the breakable cylinders that can separate the stage. If you run onto them, and do a grounded hammer, you will actually slide a noticable distance, and your hammer reaches much farther than it normally would. TRY IT!
-Increased hitbox duration for Stone and downward-angled hammer on those breakable cylinders.
-Jab the string pillars to refresh moves.
-Leftward-facing Final Cutter on the right platform (attached) follows the platforms angle downwards and can hit people on the middle part of the stage.
-Stone Shockwave Glitch on the right platform (when string is broken). Beware of falling off when the string reattaches, or when the stage comes back together.
-Turning into a Stone when the acid is high for safety. Your opponent can't follow you there. You will eventually take over 30% damage from the acid in Stone form, and it will knock you up, but you won't take any damage due to the Stone's mechanics. Beware of doing this at high percentages.
-Attacking through the bottom of the stage is great for Kirby. Beware of characters with spikes.
-The small stage discourages camping. Campy characters are screwed even more when the acid rises to full height, and you are both pretty much forced to the top platform.
-Kirby evades the acid easier than most with his multiple jumps.

Things to watch out for:
-Falling through the acid as a Stone to your doom.
-Close sides and top can be advantageous for your opponent, as well as you.
-Some attacks can last incredibly long on the strings that attach the platforms. Take advantage of people that do this by accident, but watch out for people who try to trick you with it. (Snake's Fsmash, like Bunny said)

That reminds me, I heard that this is a BAD stage to fight Snake on? I think it could go either way, though admittedly uptilt and possibly ftilt could absolutely destroy you. At the same time though, you could destroy Snake with early kills off the side. Fsmash, or hammer when he's recovering.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Ah thanks for the info Asdioh! All of that info gives me a better understanding of why Brinstar is a good stage for Kirby. Thanks for that again!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, it's a shame I let that thread die... Ah school, how I hate thee (yet how convenient of an excuse you are, when in reality it's probably more laziness than anything...).

Also, A1lion, why do you say YI is such a good stage? I personally hate the stage, mainly because of how many times it has ****ed my Mario, and as such am completely biased against the stage (And those shy guys... I hate those things SO much more than I do my opponents.), so please, give me reasons to hate this stage less.

Also, Atria, you're right, RC and JJ (Remember JJ also devastates Olimar.) are both good Kirby stages. HOWEVER, I would disagree with you about Pirate Ship. That stage is one I like because it gives you free stones. Sure, we can't spike hard enough to kill in the water, but we CAN spike them into it, then hit them with the rock as they reappear. Also, it is a lot of fun to spit someone into the front of the ship. Finally, you can do the infinite stone glitch on the King of Red Lion's head. Oh, and Fsmash from King of Red Lions is pretty much a guaranteed kill at any percentage.
Also, people seem to hate this stage, which I always find beneficial.

Lylat isn't a bad Kirby stage either, if only because it screws Kirby considerably less than most characters, and spitting people under the stage seems even more effective on this stage. Also, this stage is bad for most projectile spammers, which is equally good for us.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I like YI for a variety of reasons.

Pros:
- Slanting platform allows for stone slides, which, if used rarely, surprise almost everyone (I've managed to get some off on gonzo, more on other people).

- Close sides allow for low % fsmash/air hammer/regular hammer/potato kills.

- Slanted edges allow stone to be used, giving it a hitbox, which can hit people onstage (and no one ever expects this). Just be careful not to SD.

- I personally find this stage easier to edguard on for no real reason at all.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
True, I have found stone to be much harder to punish on YI's (unless you're playing MK...), and sliding stones seem to work about as much as infinite stones on people who don't know about it, but still, this does not quench my hatred of the stage.

I dunno... when it comes to starters, I prefer BF or SV, and I'd never CP YI anyway...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
True, I have found stone to be much harder to punish on YI's (unless you're playing MK...), and sliding stones seem to work about as much as infinite stones on people who don't know about it, but still, this does not quench my hatred of the stage.

I dunno... when it comes to starters, I prefer BF or SV, and I'd never CP YI anyway...
A lot of ICs mainers said this stage was good for them, so I CP'd it yesterday against someone. I'll never CP this stage again. Ever.

Nana literally got seperated from me a little, then went to the right side of the stage and killed herself because she didn't know how to get off of the support ghost. YI is stupid and I hate it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
A lot of ICs mainers said this stage was good for them, so I CP'd it yesterday against someone. I'll never CP this stage again. Ever.

Nana literally got seperated from me a little, then went to the right side of the stage and killed herself because she didn't know how to get off of the support ghost. YI is stupid and I hate it.
I know your pain. Mario automatically walljumps if he's heading towards those walls... even if you don't hit jump, which has led me to buffer a UpB which WOULD have gotten me to the ledge but due to an unplanned walljump buffers and gimps me. Also, I suffered possibly the gayest death I have ever had in smash on this stage:

I'm hit to the top right corner at a high percent against MK. MK is coming up to attack me and kill me, either with SL or Nair (in this case it was Nair), both of which can be stopped by fireballs. Luckily for me, he is right in range/trajectory of my fireballs, so as he gets close (about a character length away), I loose one, and buffer a Bair, hoping to kill him, and it would have worked too. However, Shy Guys decided that wasn't nice, and as such one came out from the top of the screen just in time to fly into the fireball and take the hit, then moving to let me get hit by the Nair (I know it wouldn't have stopped the Nair, but god**** did it deserve it), resulting in death.

I hate this stage...

A1lion835

Smash Champion

The moral of the story: Don't use IC's.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Moral of the story(ies):
Give Nana a brain transplant and kill Shy Guys in ways that are brutal and humiliating.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
- Slanting platform allows for stone slides, which, if used rarely, surprise almost everyone (I've managed to get some off on gonzo, more on other people).
If you ever play against SamuraiPanda, DO THIS ^_^

He's really good, yet he seems to fall for Stone Slides off of almost any slant on any stage, and then he's like "How the hell did I get hit by that AGAIN"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoY9OiX6l84

epic laughs at 0:40

actually, epic laughs throughout the whole match, and no, this isn't you, as you already know.

I know your pain. Mario automatically walljumps if he's heading towards those walls... even if you don't hit jump, which has led me to buffer a UpB which WOULD have gotten me to the ledge but due to an unplanned walljump buffers and gimps me. Also, I suffered possibly the gayest death I have ever had in smash on this stage:

I'm hit to the top right corner at a high percent against MK. MK is coming up to attack me and kill me, either with SL or Nair (in this case it was Nair), both of which can be stopped by fireballs. Luckily for me, he is right in range/trajectory of my fireballs, so as he gets close (about a character length away), I loose one, and buffer a Bair, hoping to kill him, and it would have worked too. However, Shy Guys decided that wasn't nice, and as such one came out from the top of the screen just in time to fly into the fireball and take the hit, then moving to let me get hit by the Nair (I know it wouldn't have stopped the Nair, but god**** did it deserve it), resulting in death.

I hate this stage...
LOL OWNED

o_o

What were we discussing again...Yoshi's Island is a pretty good Kirby stage. It's annoying when you try to stone slide, and you realize that although the platform is angled, the angle is just BARELY too shallow to make you slide. So you're sitting there and you're like >_> crap

And the ledges are useful..and the ghost platform is fun to taunt on...but it's more likely to help your opponent recover than you. Good stage for Kirby overall though.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
What were we discussing again... Yoshi's Island is a pretty good Kirby stage. It's annoying when you try to stone slide, and you realize that although the platform is angled, the angle is just BARELY too shallow to make you slide. So you're sitting there and you're like >_> crap
This also applies to Lylat Cruise.

#1 reason I'll never become a pro: I expect brawl, however loosely, to obey the laws of physics.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I noticed you guys have a xat chat (http://xat.com/chat/room/39707882/). I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

Who is the main owner by the way?

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I should put it out there, but what are Kirby's bad stages? Also, if there are any other good stages besides RC, BS and JJ, what are they? (Maybe preferably his best neutral stage.) Also, some reasons why would be helpful too. Thanks!

IC3R

Smash Lord
Maybe I should put it out there, but what are Kirby's bad stages? Also, if there are any other good stages besides RC, BS and JJ, what are they? (Maybe preferably his best neutral stage.) Also, some reasons why would be helpful too. Thanks!
Good stages are: Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Frigate Orpheon

Okay stages are: Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza, Norfair

Bad stages are: Pirate Ship (debatable), Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Good stages are: Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Frigate Orpheon

Okay stages are: Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza, Norfair

Bad stages are: Pirate Ship (debatable), Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Don't forget that Brinstar (BS) is another good Kirby stage too from what I've been told. Any reasons why Kirby is bad on those stages + why are LC, DP and NF good Kirby stages? Also, I'm going to assume that FO is a good stage because Kirby is capable of gimping characters off the no ledge side and that having no ledge won't effect him much. Would this be right?

IC3R

Smash Lord
YIM is bad for kirby because of the ******** close ceiling and blast zones. IDK why Pirate Ship is bad for Kirby, I guess cause he gets spiked through water easily?

Lylat Cruise is good because of the Platform Wavelanding technique that can be done throughout most of the stage. Platforms themselves are good for Kirby. He can also spit out most of the cast under the wing and even stagespike them, but it needs to be done with caution. Delfino Plaza is an okay stage because there are so many transformations, it can go in any characters favor. Norfair is fun as hell to camp out on the bottom platform, even without a projectile (good counterpick for campers like Pit or R.O.B.. Plus, there's tons of ledges for Kirby to grab should he get knocked away.

Yes, you would be right about Frigate Orpheon :)

Atria

Smash Journeyman
YIM is bad for kirby because of the ******** close ceiling and blast zones. IDK why Pirate Ship is bad for Kirby, I guess cause he gets spiked through water easily?

Lylat Cruise is good because of the Platform Wavelanding technique that can be done throughout most of the stage. Platforms themselves are good for Kirby. He can also spit out most of the cast under the wing and even stagespike them, but it needs to be done with caution. Delfino Plaza is an okay stage because there are so many transformations, it can go in any characters favor. Norfair is fun as hell to camp out on the bottom platform, even without a projectile (good counterpick for campers like Pit or R.O.B.. Plus, there's tons of ledges for Kirby to grab should he get knocked away.

Yes, you would be right about Frigate Orpheon :)
Lol, that's the reason why I choose Norfair for ALMOST everyone I use. I LOVE that stage so much! Don't know why everybody hates it though...:( I thought that another reason why PS is bad for Kirby is because he can't gimp people off the stage due to the water. That's all I can think of for PS as to why it is a bad stage for Kirby. Hmm...I haven't really dived into AT's yet because I'm still trying to perfect the basics, but I think I might look up what that technique does for the LC stage. You wouldn't happen to know what Kirby's best and worst neutral stages are do you?

IC3R

Smash Lord
You wouldn't happen to know what Kirby's best and worst neutral stages are do you?
Norfair or Delfino plaza would be best neutral, as for worst...maybe Port Town Aero Drive or Battleship Halberd. Both have low ceilings and stage hazards...

The water of Pirate Ship is actually Kirby's main problem, so both points add up ^_^

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Norfair or Delfino plaza would be best neutral, as for worst...maybe Port Town Aero Drive or Battleship Halberd. Both have low ceilings and stage hazards...

The water of Pirate Ship is actually Kirby's main problem, so both points add up ^_^
Those are Neutral stages?! Even PTAD??? You do know what I mean right by saying that neutral stages are the beginning stages in tournament or am I not up to date? The only neutral stages I know of are:

Battle Field
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

I thought that the other stages you mentioned were neutrals/CP's, not ones which are available at the start of the tournament.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Neutrals/CP's are up to the director to decide what they are (same with CP/Banned).

I think YI (brawl) is his best, but that's just me. I hate battlefield, but maybe that's because my controller is bugged and I just sit there crouching while the ike charges his usmash >.> (and strangely, it ONLY HAPPENS on Battlefield).

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Neutrals/CP's are up to the director to decide what they are (same with CP/Banned).

I think YI (brawl) is his best, but that's just me. I hate battlefield, but maybe that's because my controller is bugged and I just sit there crouching while the ike charges his usmash >.> (and strangely, it ONLY HAPPENS on Battlefield).
Did you try and tap down like as if you were trying to do a smash attack or does that still not work? Could always jump I guess. Yeah, my wireless GC controller is pretty old. The joystick can't even return exactly to it's neutral position because of my younger brother...>_< It's okay, but sometimes the game won't read my movement so sometimes I'm a sitting duck for 1 second. That may not seem bad, but people always seem to be able to take advantage of that when I'm stuck there... x_x Technically, I need to get a new GC controller ASAP.

Yeah, I only got that general idea from this thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153706

Even despite that, can the tournament director(s) change that list drastically or not as drastically as I think they're able to? Anyway, I thought that stages with platforms like BF were good for Kirby. I initially thought that FD might of been his worst stage but then again, it's not like as if Kirby's ground game was bad to begin with.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I've tried everything of BF. My only hope is that no one I play finds my weekness... tapping down works some of the time, but not all. I also think the way the platforms are arranged is ******** (no fc unless you jump first and you're in the middle, no punishing with rock because you land on a platform and you get punished, etc. I could go on...)

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
I've tried everything of BF. My only hope is that no one I play finds my weekness... tapping down works some of the time, but not all. I also think the way the platforms are arranged is ******** (no fc unless you jump first and you're in the middle, no punishing with rock because you land on a platform and you get punished, etc. I could go on...)
I dunno, i personally like BF for kirby. People get stuck on the platforms and then thats when the aerial **** comes in, although i doubt i would like it much against an Ike. Probably not a terrible stage for kirby, but a better stage for ike. I think in CPing kirby, its easier to pick which stage your char would do better, cuz most stages dont really bother him i feel. I mean his recovery is good both vertically and horizontally, so regardless of the set up, his recovery is fine, he does well with platforms but he can live without them, moving stages give him more opportunities to gimp, nothing really bad. Although most the tourneys i've been to dont allow a handful of stages you guys have mentioned...xD

usually its:
neutrals: FD, BF, YI(b), SV, LC
CP Stages: BH, FO, DP, RC, JJ, PS1, BS, CS
maybe some corneria, green greens or somethin thrown in there.

I'd agree with IC3R and go for a low ceiling. Kirby's light, ike kills early.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Those are Neutral stages?! Even PTAD??? You do know what I mean right by saying that neutral stages are the beginning stages in tournament or am I not up to date? The only neutral stages I know of are:

Battle Field
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

I thought that the other stages you mentioned were neutrals/CP's, not ones which are available at the start of the tournament.
Oh, sorry. I've been going through match-up threads and have been in Counterpick mode ever since.

Final Destination is probably the worst one, because folks love to camp, and getting stuck under evil lip whil using Final Cutter is no fun at all.

Best neutral is either Battlefield or Yoshi's Island (Brawl). Battlefield has platforms to counter campers, and YIB allows for weird Brick Tricks, and the random ghost thingy is good if you still can't make it back to the stage etih Kirby's godly recovery.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I would disagree about PS being a bad Kirby stage. You can Dair>rock in the water, Fsmash or even Ftilt kills off of King of Red Lions, and I *believe* (Haven't tested it) that you can spit them into the front of the ship for the death. Other than that, it can mess up certain spammers (like the SF characters) due to the tilts, and also it is really easy to kill from that rock thingy. Oh, and spitting people into the catapult is funny...

Don't pick it against people with good spikes and/or bad recoveries (AKA Ganon, Ike, Samus, Bowser, DK, etc.)

Also, you can Shark during the main part of Delfino, and Lylat just generally screws others more than you, especially projectile spammers.

Finally... WHEN DID PORT TOWN TURN LEGAL!? (And more importantly, WHYYYYY....???)

A1lion835

Smash Champion
can you possibly explain to me y lylat cruise is a good kirby stage? I just dont understand that.
The tilting stage screws most people considerably more than kirby when they recover. It screws most projectile characters (especially SF, which makes me lol because it's their stage) because the tilting stage stops there projectiles (except pika's and a few others). I also think it's possible to stone slide on the fall-through platforms when it's tilted enough, but I don't think brawl's gay physics understands that.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
fromundaman loooooves Dair->Stone in water combos

I've had the following as neutrals: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, and either Lylat Cruise, or Pokemon Stadium 1.

One time, it was all 5 of those, plus Castle Siege, Halberd, Delfino Plaza, and ... ... something else...

9 neutrals is actually pretty fun and fair, when you're doing the stage strike system.

Anyway, I've said this before. Kirby doesn't really have any "bad" stages, though he does have some noticably "good" ones. It all depends on what YOU like, and just as importantly, your opponent and opponent's character. If your opponent's character is bad on a stage, but you know they love it, then maybe you should go to something you like more than they do.

Out of the neutrals, I like FD and SV the best, usually. Sometimes PS1. People say not to fight Snakes on FD, but I'd rather do it there then on Battlefield or SV. Platforms + mines and tilts = :(

Lylat is supposedly a good stage for Kirby, but I hate it.

I hate Castle Siege, personally. Like, a lot, it's lame.

I like Pictochat, lol.

You know? It all depends...

2 more things to add on Frigate: when the stage is about to flip, if you do Dthrow right as it flips (you're doing the kicks as it turns) it's supposed to semi-spike your opponent.
And Kirbycides become ridiculously fun when you Inhale them on the stage right before it flips.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
Question.

Am I the only person that knows about Kirby's awesome walkdance? (Dashdance with walking turns)

Atria

Smash Journeyman
The tilting stage screws most people considerably more than kirby when they recover. It screws most projectile characters (especially SF, which makes me lol because it's their stage) because the tilting stage stops there projectiles (except pika's and a few others). I also think it's possible to stone slide on the fall-through platforms when it's tilted enough, but I don't think brawl's gay physics understands that.
I think also you could spit characters underneath the ship/wing. From there, I think that some characters will find it hard to return from under there. I think that could be another reason why LC is apparently a good stage for Kirby anyway.

So technically Kirby doesn't have any bad stages which will hinder his performance? So do I just have to wary about what my opponent likes AND what character they choose. Would that be right?

Also, you can Shark during the main part of Delfino, and Lylat just generally screws others more than you, especially projectile spammers.

Finally... WHEN DID PORT TOWN TURN LEGAL!? (And more importantly, WHYYYYY....???)
What do you mean by the term 'Shark'? I'm going to hazard a guess here: Is this where you can attack characters while staying beneath the stage and they can't do anything about it because their recovery isn't as good as Kirby's, MK's etc.? In terms of Delfino while the stage is moving, Kirby can 'shark' the opponent by attacking them from underneath that grate-like main platform while the opponent can't retaliate depending on who they're using. Am I right by any chance?

Also, I'm still not completely convinced why PTAD is a neutral stage unless if you were trying to be sarcastic again A1lion835. (Which is hard for me to understand from reading.) If that was the case then I don't need to know why then.

I'd agree with IC3R and go for a low ceiling. Kirby's light, ike kills early.
Uhh...Shouldn't that conclusion be altered a little? Sounds like that benefits Ike rather than Kirby.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What do you mean by the term 'Shark'? I'm going to hazard a guess here: Is this where you can attack characters while staying beneath the stage and they can't do anything about it because their recovery isn't as good as Kirby's, MK's etc.? In terms of Delfino while the stage is moving, Kirby can 'shark' the opponent by attacking them from underneath that grate-like main platform while the opponent can't retaliate depending on who they're using. Am I right by any chance?
I think so...

basically, "sharking" is where you attack multiple times from below a platform (like the battlefield platforms)
Kirby's Uair/Bair are good for this

I don't really hear people call it "sharking" very often though

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I think so...

basically, "sharking" is where you attack multiple times from below a platform (like the battlefield platforms)
Kirby's Uair/Bair are good for this

I don't really hear people call it "sharking" very often though
Oh so not under the MAIN platform like the ones you can pass through from below like on Delfino and the Halberd? It can be done under ANY kind of platform?

Top Bottom