• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't think this character is poorly designed. Just underpowered.

Doesn't really make much of a difference in the long run. But I find him way more cohesive than the other bottom tier characters. He feels way more 'complete'.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Kirby's most glaring weakness is his range. He plays like any other poke character only his pokes are **** awful because he has nubs for arms and red shoes.

Of the bottom tiers he's probably legitimately the last truly viable character in that he has some useable middle and lower tier match ups. I feel like Pichu/Bowser are completely non-viable in any match up where "lack of knowledge" isnt in their list of tools. Kirby is equally non-viable against top tiers but he can do some things against like, ganon and such.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Kirby's most glaring weakness is his range. He plays like any other poke character only his pokes are **** awful because he has nubs for arms and red shoes.

Of the bottom tiers he's probably legitimately the last truly viable character in that he has some useable middle and lower tier match ups. I feel like Pichu/Bowser are completely non-viable in any match up where "lack of knowledge" isnt in their list of tools. Kirby is equally non-viable against top tiers but he can do some things against like, ganon and such.
Yeah I think Bowser is honestly complete trash. He's literally a 1-move character. In almost every situation.

I share your sentiment on Kirby vs mid tier... I was thinking about his MUs and how he can mesh with various characters and it felt like he was actually okay vs a lot of them. His defensive suite is actually fairly cohesive and has a good variety to it. Having that kind of variety forces the foe to have a mixup of some kind. Bowser can't really do that to people.

Not sure I agree with Pichu, but Pichu's inability to beat moves by out-spacing them is a huge problem. Pichu is literally missing an entire dimension of gameplay... which is undeniably horrible. Combined with his squishiness... yeah, that's really bad. It mitigates the advantages of his otherwise decent recovery.

Anyway, enough on them. Kirby's cute.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Apparently Ganondorf's taunt has a chance of deflecting missiles.

But it's still not as good as Kirby's taunt.

Massive

Smash Champion
Kirby's general range isn't that bad. The dtilt hitbox is reasonably disjointed and utilt will shield poke pretty reliably.

His biggest issues IMO, are that he loses horizontal momentum when he jumps, he's very light, his smashes do not KO, and his uair (the only real KO move he can do) has a very narrow hitbox. Oh yeah, and all of his throws are pretty much garbage.

Kirby should be at the top of the lowest tier. Ness, Bowser, and Pichu are all slightly worse than him (especially Bowser).

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
It's sad that with such a good grab, he doesn't have a decent throw. Would there be any point in just pummeling them?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Kirby's general range isn't that bad. The dtilt hitbox is reasonably disjointed and utilt will shield poke pretty reliably.

His biggest issues IMO, are that he loses horizontal momentum when he jumps, he's very light, his smashes do not KO, and his uair (the only real KO move he can do) has a very narrow hitbox. Oh yeah, and all of his throws are pretty much garbage.

Kirby should be at the top of the lowest tier. Ness, Bowser, and Pichu are all slightly worse than him (especially Bowser).
Ness is legitimately better than kirby. Ness has a strong combo game on characters that actually matter out of his uthrow as well as a reasonable oos options with djc Nair. He's probably worse overall for match ups than kirby but does better against characters that matter.

@grim uthrow

Massive

Smash Champion
Grab Release mind games.

Grab > Pummel > Release > Lose.
There was a time where I incorporated grab-release dsmash into my game with some success. Then people started getting wise and shielding so I went back to dthrow techchasing most of the time.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Yeah, Marth shouldn't be able to upb you at 0%. I thought he could, but he can't. He still can at a large amount of %'s though. At any percent uthrow is safe. He shouldn't be able to fair you even before you land back on the ground again. It's pretty easy to cheese Marth players a couple of times at first by running in and shielding a falling fair and uthrow them again.

It's pretty much been said already, but I think Kirby's biggest weaknesses are his weight and poor onstage jump/air game.

Any time that Kirby leaves the ground and the opponent isn't getting hit, it's probably a bad situation. It's true with most characters, but I feel it's way easier to destory Kirby if you get him off solid onstage ground. With his slow speed and how he expands as he jumps, it's just a bad situation.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I think Kirby would be ballin' in teams if he were with Falco, Sheik, or Falcon

Are there any cool "I sucked you in and got your power, look at my floaty techskill" videos?

Massive

Smash Champion
That makes me wonder. Why dont kirby players use the powers of like fox and falco and shiek in that MU?
Fox's power is worthless.

Falco's power is amazing, I (personally) go out of my way to get it when I have a stock lead.

Sheik's power is just "OK". Many times it's not worth getting the power and losing the possibility of a free swallowcide ledgeguard from Sheik's crappy landlag.

Actually, I lied; for teams purposes, Sheik's power is pretty awesome.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I'd imagine the only two worth getting would be Sheik's or Falco's; they're clearly the best one's. If I were teaming with a Falcon or a Samus I might go for it too.

Fox's would be useless. The only reason Fox's is any good is because he's so mobile. Kirby is like a marshmallow swimming in a plate of syrup.

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
I can´t believe somebody actual posted that video. <3

I spent too much time with those Top-Tiers - gonna play more Kaabii again.

Massive

Smash Champion
If you want that ultimate low tier feeling, try Bowser.

I don't understand why he's not the very bottom of the tier list, I really don't.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've picked up bowser and added him to my roster of low-tiers. Unlike pretty much every other low-tier I play, I can say that while pretty much all of Bowser's matchups are bad, some of them are hopeless. I have never had that feeling before on another character, even in the terrible Ness vs Sheik matchup.

Nobody has truly felt what its like to be completely countered until they've been on the receiving end of Bowser vs Jigglypuff.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. Bowser is clearly a better char than Pichu and Kirby. Pichu can't survive anything decently hard-hitting past 50% and he can barely kill. Kirby has a somewhat better time surviving but he has an even harder time killing. Both chars depend heavily on gimps and their defensive games are pretty terrible. Bowser at least has survivability, killing power, and a great OoS game, especially on plats or with ledges nearby. Long live Bowser! :p

Edit: Bowser also actually has shield pressure mix-ups. For instance, instead of jab 1 > jab 2, he can do jab 1 > Klaw, or if an opponent shields in anticipation of a SHFFL fair from Bowser, he can just SHFF Klaw instead. Combine this with the fact that his Klaw is both a combo-starter AND a kill-throw and there's no doubt that Boozer is better than un-evolved Pika and Kirbs.

Massive

Smash Champion
is that attack claw? cause fair is so freaking easy to shield grab (for marth at least)
In my experience, Bowser's guaranteed loss matches are against Marth and Jigglypuff.
He literally can't do anything to either of them if the player is even remotely competent.

Please note that I'm not ragging on Bowser here, I actually like him and have been playing him quite a bit recently. It has served to make me painfully aware of his faults, unfortunately, despite my efforts to correct them.

He really does not have the advantage in any match. Kirby can at least break even or possibly eek out an advantage in one or two matchups, but every fight with Bowser is uphill. He does not have any safe approach options, his recovery is terribly predictable and easily gimped, he can't safely trade aerials at all, and he's so big that he's complete combo bait- even for characters who can't combo normally.

He has great KO power and arguably the best OoS option in the game, but the former is outweighed by his extreme slowness and the latter with the fact that that's basically the only thing you can do (he can't even shield grab effectively).

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Most characters can space hits on bowsers shield to either be low enough to the ground that they'll be on ground by the time fortress comes out or can just tap down on the C-Stick and still tech it. I mean yeah, if you're doing Full Hop Dairs on the middle of Boozers shield with Falcon I imagine he could punish that pretty easily, but if you're just like, spamming low Knees(Knee > Bowser) he has little options other than Whirling Fortress->Pray you dont know what SDI is.

Top Bottom