• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Kirby ***** Falco once he takes his ability :cool:

pew pew

probably 60:40 mu for in kirby's favor :cool::cool:

Nashun

Smash Ace
lol what. the matchup is easily something ridiculous like 80-20 in falco's favor. lasers make it 70-30 at best and you actually have to get a swallow to be able to do that.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've never had much trouble getting a swallow on falco. They illusion back onto the stage too much to avoid it for very long.

Shorthop double laser only gives a moderate boon to kirby's game though (despite moving him up 3 tiers in teams). You can lock falco down with lasers but all he really has to do is jump over them.

Despite the plethora of gimps you can do on his crappy recovery (bair, dtilt, dair, ftilt, laser, nair, etc) falco's dair alone makes this, at best, even; kirby has no response to it as a ledge guard.

Massive

Smash Champion
Falco is one of the only characters who can actively punish kirby's swallow. It's awesome because if they combo you long enough you either die or lose the ability.

And by awesome i mean gay.
I forgot about this, but yeah, he can totally do an aerial right after you ploop him out.

Luckily most Falcos have NO IDEA they can do this.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
huh... is falco the only character who can do that? or are there others too?
I imagine if falco can, fox can too?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Not that there's any reason to swallow Fox, but I really do hate that he can drill grab or drill into up tilt on Kirbs after swallow. Feels like it was made specifically to ruin Kirby's fun.

Bing

Smash Master
Kirby's spit in teams is legit.

But honestly when I use Kirby I never swallow, I like to leave my options open aka chances to swallowcide when potentially about to lose my stock.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Spit is amazing in teams because starshot puts anyone it hits into insane hitstun. Things I have done with this after inhaling teammate: Starshot->Rest, Starshot->Full charge samus charge shot, Starshot->Reverse Blazer KO, Starshot->Shine->Up B

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
duuuuude swallow is the best. g&w kirby looks cool as hell, therefore; he wins.
question: when people get grab released (or w/e its called) from swallow off stage, does it give them their jump back?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Inhale counts as a grab. Getting out of a grab in any fashion gives jumps back. Ergo, escaping Inhale gives jumps back.

There does seem to be a delay between breaking out and being able to jump that isn't there if Copy is used though. I think it's there on Star Shot too.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Fox can recover ok if he only falls about 1/3 of the way to the blast line before escape.
Of course, you can always hit him out of Firefox in that situation and kill him outright but the escape lag itself doesn't actually cause his death...

In short, yes, breakout is usually fatal. Starshot has enough upward momentum to make the lag far less fatal but I'm pretty sure it's not much shorter, if it's even any shorter at all. Only Copy leaves you free to move properly.

Massive

Smash Champion
If a Kirby tries to Swallowcide, isnt it best to just not break out (Character Specific)
If he sucks you in and is not off stage, you can struggle out before he gets off the side. This is universally true.

If you're off stage and your character is Fox, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Samus, or Sheik (this is a list of chars I've seen do it repeatedly, at least) and you're fast enough, you can recover after struggling out of a swallocide. This is true if the stage has a low enough floor, meaning pretty much every stage but yoshi's.

If they don't shake out there is a (weight/size dependent) chance that Kirby will die with them. If you swallocide someone from midair and they do not struggle, hold up and mash jump buttons while you're about to die. It is a very difficult timing (almost impossible vs jiggs) on most characters (except bowser/DK/oldmannondorf) but you can survive it.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
You don't need to mash buttons, do you? I thought all you need is to jump at the right time. I've done it against the easy characters (Bowser/DK/Ganobelisk the Tormentor), but can't do it against the others.

Massive

Smash Champion
You don't need to mash buttons, do you? I thought all you need is to jump at the right time. I've done it against the easy characters (Bowser/DK/Ganobelisk the Tormentor), but can't do it against the others.
The window is very small against most characters and there is no penalty for mashing jump, so why not? The chances of me hitting jump at the right time while mashing x are going to be higher than hitting an arbitrary window that can be changed if they hit the control stick AT ALL during the time I'm doing it.

If you were lucky enough to get another midair jump before it went off you could just hold up though, lol.

Nashun

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't even try it anymore. I just hold up and mash like hell, works better for me than hitting a <5 frame window or something ridiculous like that.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I literally just memorize the timing for it >_>

Granted I still just mash against 1 frame characters lol

Also Fox can recover but only if you let him. Sheik is pretty similar, if you interrupt her jump you basically get the kill anyways. Pikachu is also capable of recovering but his is a lot harder unless you're axe and can Up B straight up twice.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
You mean most people can't go up twice with Pikachu? I did it the other day when I was playing Pichu. Is it harder on Pikachu?

McNinja

Smash Ace
Hey quick question. What abilities should Kirby try to copy? I know Falco's lasers are excellent, but what else can significantly help Kirby' game?

:phone:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
You mean most people can't go up twice with Pikachu? I did it the other day when I was playing Pichu. Is it harder on Pikachu?
pichu's is slower and the timing is more lenient. For Pikachu, you need to input faster.
I can double upB straight pretty well with pichu, but its harder for pika.

anyway, pika shouldn't need to upB in the same direction twice, since he gets his jump back... his upB goes far enough to recover normally, iirc.

Massive

Smash Champion
Sheik's needles are amazing.

Mario fireball/pills are great too.

Marth's sword is matchup changing but nearly impossible to get.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
how bout roy's sword?

jolts are ok, its nice to have a projectile (pichu's will hurt you though)
I kinda like having mewtwo's shadow ball.
puff's rollout thingy seems to help with recovery a tiny bit.
DK's punch is k.
Ice block is a projectile, but doesn't help all that much.
luigi's fireballs suck.
Kirby can't really use fox's lasers all that well, since its not fast enough to abuse them.

question:
would is be better if when kirby copied somebody, he stole all of their B moves?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Firebreath can hit through the back of Kirby's head and Warlock Punch can be landed in such a way as to give all the stun with none of the knockback if you drop down on your foe.
IIRC Kirby can fire lazers through one spacey but not the other if he stands right behind them.
And, of course, pancake Kirby Rollout glitch.

Otherwise all of Kirby's moves work the same as their regular versions. Just thought that might be relevant somehow.

Top Bottom