• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
In short, yes, breakout is usually fatal. Starshot has enough upward momentum to make the lag far less fatal but I'm pretty sure it's not much shorter, if it's even any shorter at all. Only Copy leaves you free to move properly.
Actually, if you spit them out w/ A, they'll probably be able to recover just fine.

If you're off stage and your character is Fox, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Samus, or Sheik (this is a list of chars I've seen do it repeatedly, at least) and you're fast enough, you can recover after struggling out of a swallocide. This is true if the stage has a low enough floor, meaning pretty much every stage but yoshi's.

If they don't shake out there is a (weight/size dependent) chance that Kirby will die with them. If you swallocide someone from midair and they do not struggle, hold up and mash jump buttons while you're about to die. It is a very difficult timing (almost impossible vs jiggs) on most characters (except bowser/DK/oldmannondorf) but you can survive it.
G&W can also recover reliably after struggling out offstage. I don't see why Mewtwo can't either. I believe Jiggs, Kirby, and Pichu are the chars who die at pretty much the same exact time as Kirby. I don't think it's always consistent, though.

Edit: Oh yeah, Pichu and Pikachu can live as well.

The window is very small against most characters and there is no penalty for mashing jump, so why not? The chances of me hitting jump at the right time while mashing x are going to be higher than hitting an arbitrary window that can be changed if they hit the control stick AT ALL during the time I'm doing it.

If you were lucky enough to get another midair jump before it went off you could just hold up though, lol.
Well, it's possible that, while mashing, you actually miss some of the smaller windows, but you're probably already aware of that. I think Pink Reaper's way of memorizing the timings is probably the most consistently successful method. Also, would getting another midair jump matter, since the swallow resets all your jumps anyway? :confused:

Hey quick question. What abilities should Kirby try to copy? I know Falco's lasers are excellent, but what else can significantly help Kirby' game?

:phone:
A lot of them were already said (Falco's lasers, Sheik's needles, situational Jiggs rollout, ICs ice blocks, Doc's pills, Mario's fireballs, Pika's and Pichu's jolts, Mew2 shadow balls). However, imo, whenever Kirby can gain a projectile, the copy helps him more than it hurts him. In fact, getting an actual copy off is almost never detrimental. Swallowcides are so situational and they almost never work in high play, so if you can actually get a swallow off, copying is never a bad alternative. The very fact that Kirby can combine his multiple jumps with whatever projectile he gained is MU changing in itself.

Marth's sword is matchup changing but nearly impossible to get.
Really? I thought Kirby's sword range sucked compared to Marth's. How is this MU changing? :confused: I know it can be used to protect Kirby as he's trying to land, but doesn't Marth still outrange him anyway? :/

Edit: You could always swallow Marth off of a hard fsmash read. :p

how bout roy's sword?

DK's punch is k.
luigi's fireballs suck.
Kirby can't really use fox's lasers all that well, since its not fast enough to abuse them.

question:
would is be better if when kirby copied somebody, he stole all of their B moves?
Well, Marth's sword is probably better cuz of it's huge shield damage, but if I'm right about the range of that move, I can't see Kirby using Roy's sword all that well. Speaking of range, doesn't that same problem apply to DK's and Ganon's punches? Luigi's fireballs may be bad, but they don't hurt Kirby's playstyle. They can act as a decent wall at times, especially against chars like Luigi (from whom you'll be taking this ability anyway) who have to WD in to approach. Also, can't Kirby SHTL with Fox's lasers for extreme damage racking?

Oh, and if Kirby could take ALL of an opponent's B moves, I personally think Kirby would vastly improve. Certain MUs would change drastically. Think about it; all of Kirby's B moves pretty much suck. UpB has no horizontal range and Kirby's easily hit out of it. SideB sucks unless you're using the aerial version to combo into utilt and even then, the lack of hitstun makes the move mediocre at best. DownB affords Kirby temporary invincibility from everything except grabs but it's super easy to punish at any time. Neutral B is situational and is probably his best special. Even if the opponent doesn't have a full set of useful specials to give, changing only one or two of these moves for the better is enough to make Kirby better than his last place companion, Pichu. :cool:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
kirby can shtl, but he can't really take advantage of the lasers.
the point is not just to rack up damage, its to force the opponent to approach you, which doesn't work for kirby, since he can't run away from fox (or... anybody else...)

also having luigi's fireballs doesn't help at all, because they have no priority at all and any move will go through them.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
If Ganondorf can use Warlock Punch to recover (which he can), then I'm sure Kirby can use Falcon Punch.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
0 Cactuars is not janky. 8 Cactuars is maximum Jankiness. Cactuar is 2.4 Cactuars. Puff dittos are at least 4 Cactuars.

Bing

Smash Master
Why not ditto him?
He wins the ditto, we did it last tournament in friendlies.

1-2 stock every time. I did take a game.. but due to the fact that I use IC's for about 30 minutes between monthlies and probably 2-3 games at the monthlies, Im not confident. Peach however I am fairly comfortable with and she has the MU advantage.

Anywho back to Kirby.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Kirby's punch has less range though. I say it's best as a counter to anyone stupid enough to try and Falcon Punch you.
Which is why I suggested its use to recover offstage not to actually fight onstage.

0 Cactuars is not janky. 8 Cactuars is maximum Jankiness. Cactuar is 2.4 Cactuars. Puff dittos are at least 4 Cactuars.
So then therefore, 2v2 IC dittos on FoD is jankier than maximum jankiness. :p

Massive

Smash Champion
I just want to point this out now that everyone can see the hitboxes.

Notice how the hitbox of kirby's foot is taller than his hurtbox? This is what makes dtilt arguably kirby's best spacing move and probably what makes wavedash > dtilt the best thing to approach most characters with.

Additionally, the odd shaped hitbox and mid-level damage also means it will also clink with most tilts and smashes.

Triple R

Smash Lord
So people are arguing who is the worst character in the tier list thread between Kirby, Bowser and Pichu. If people want to head over there and have a fun argument, be my guest.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Even if there were vids, I'd say it's more likely the vids are a forgery than him winning.

Top Bottom