• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Nashun

Smash Ace
uthrow kirbycide sucks so it's not that big of a deal that it doesn't work.

in my experience, ganon and falcon can sweetspot to avoid dtilt. it could be due to a screwup on my part but it'd be super cool if you had some proof to make me wrong.

if marth is coming in high there's not much you can do except try to intercept him with bair or something. his fair doesn't really commit much and it's pretty safe so that's a little tougher. dtilt is pretty good otherwise. if you have time to grab the ledge and force him to come up without losing invincibility, you have pretty much a guaranteed swallow. invincible bairs are good too.

Massive

Smash Champion
The death to marth maneuver only works if they hug the stage and the htibox goes behind you, pushing you down. Most modern marths are aware of this and just do their recovery a bit further out, negating the DTMM.

I usually just chase off the stage and bair/nair. Additionally, you can always just trade bair with dolphin slash and gimp his recovery.
Marth's horizontal is awful after he's used his second jump.

edit: Gannondorf cannot sweetspot the ledge; Falcon can, but it's risky. Dtilt still works most of the time (and is very safe).

Triple R

Smash Lord
Was messing around. Never done it before until tonight, but apparently you can combo utilt to reverse sweetspot hammer on fast fallers at certain percents. Who knew!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
How is it hilarious?
Aside from when Kirby gets Ganon's hair-do. XD

Massive

Smash Champion
Reasons the Gannondorf vs Kirby match-up is hilarious:
  • Aerial hammer on 'dorf's shield is basically unpunishable, especially if you land behind him.
  • Aerial hammer will easily interrupt stomp if he's above you (I recommend reverse aerial hammer).
  • Utilt pokes his bad shield easily, and he's so big that utilt is easy to connect.
  • You can duck all of his grabs.
  • You can duck under wizard kick if you're not sitting at the end of the kick range.
  • You can duck his jab.
  • You can duck warlock punch.
  • He can't sweetspot at all, so you can always dtilt > ledgehog to force him onto the stage (or kill him).
  • His recovery is super-predictable, you can do things like jump off and swallow after he uses his third jump.
  • He can't recover if he struggles out of swallow off stage.
  • You can grouch-cancel Gerudo dragon (forward-b) up to around 50%
  • His hair looks hilarious on Kirby.
  • His techroll is so slow you can techchase him out of d-throw relatively easily.
  • He can't kill you with stomp offstage if you've used a jump already (just hold up and you'll auto-recover out).
All that being said, I'm pretty sure kirby still loses the matchup. It's probably his best matchup against anyone else who isn't also terrible, IMO.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
"You're just standing there and I still kick over your head!"
Between Ganon's terrible speed (if he knew about WDs that would have been different) and Kirby's miniscule height, he could barely even touch me. I ended up doing stupid things like having a Warlock Punch off just because I could get away with it.

He put up a much better fight as Marth but his Roy was the worst thing I've ever seen. I didn't manage to get a single stock off him because he couldn't aim the overly high jumps and Dreamland's wind gimped his recovery when they took him off stage. Dude just killed himself.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
This sounds a lot more like the player was hilarious rather than the Ganon matchup being hilarious. I mean, the Ganon matchup is hilarious (I should know, I've played it from both sides), but that really just sounds like the player.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Rumors of my demise have greatly been exaggerated...

What's up Kirby board? I'm a (relatively) old Kirby player. I found out about the Super Smash Sundays and have been going to them regularly as they're very close to where I live. I finally feel that my tech skill is back to what it once was, but as of yet, have no accomplishments* to report. Some day, I dream of making it to the bracket, but I wouldn't hold your breath. =)

*Unless you count putting WestBallz' team into losers at the most recent Arcadian, which I do not. Shout outs to partner PracticeMan!

Last edited:

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I got 3rd at a small local with Kirby and using Falcon as a backup =)

Most sets were 2-1 as you can imagine

Slowly improving and becoming more comfortable . Fox mu is way too hard though...

Dodger

Smash Ace
I need some help maybe from the frame data gurus:

FAIR -> UAIR is something I used to do A LOT back in the day. I have not pulled it off since I started attending SSSs. However, Nashun (The Best Kirby in SoCal) did it TO ME the last time I saw him at an SSS. My guess is this has something to do with an IASA frame (but I could very easily be wrong.) If it's an IASA thing, then I'm pretty much screwed because I'd need human competition to get it down, which for me, only comes up every other week. HELP. Please?

Or it could just be as easy as FAIR -> FF-> JUMP - UAIR.

*shrug*

Last edited:

Nashun

Smash Ace
Hi Dodger.

It's just super dependent on their % and DI. I never know when exactly it's going to work and as far as I know there aren't any special techniques or IASA frames, but you should have enough time to react to their DI of your FAIR to do it without having to predict anything.

Dodger

Smash Ace
I suppose that would make sense. It has to be a low to moderate % though because otherwise the final kick of the fair has too much knock back I would think. And given the technical proficiency these days, that just makes it that much harder.

Man I remember when I used to FOP multiple FAIRs, and finish with the uair for the bubble blast KO. Those were the days!

Thanks, Nashun.

Gold Dart

Smash Apprentice
Only in a project m doubles tournament. He clutched out a 1v1 situation in which we both had over %150, so I know that he's a great player.
However, I've had people tell me that my melee kirby is on par - if not better than NASHUN's. There's only one way to find out if that's true or not though!

Triple R

Smash Lord
Full 3 hits for the most part. Isn't the weak hit only when landing?
Well fair has 3 weak hits and 1 strong hit: 2 initial weak hits, 1 strong hit, 1 weak landing hit.

I was referring to the 2 first weak hits, since it's possible to combo off of them.

Is the combo your talking about (3 hit fair into uair) done on floaties? I'm just trying to imagine it in my head. Sounds like it's just a decent string and not a true combo.

Dodger

Smash Ace
No, I never thought it was a true combo (this is Kirby, after all). It probably is more effectvie vs. floaties.

Dodger

Smash Ace
In other news, while I'm waiting for Crimson Blur to post the results thread for last night's SSS, I got 4th* seed in my pool and took a game off Sung. So close, and yet so far. The fair -> uair still eludes me however. Perhaps Triple R is right, if your opponent DIs the first two weak kicks to avoid the third kick, you uair them for the effort.

*There was one forfeit, and someone who could have taken 4th seed from me had we played left before we got our set in.

Last edited:

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I got 4th* seed in my pool and took a game off Sung.
What character did Sung go?

Also, I was wondering the following since I can't test it: If you use inhale while your back is turned to fox and falco, and they sideB into you, who wins the exchange?

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Well Ima be getting to work helping make the Kirby boards look all spiffy like I have been with a few other boards. figured I'd introduce myself to all the cool and happening Kirby players in here.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Need to find some more uses for the Hammer. Ground Hammer pops people up a little, but it has so much start up. Anyone have any ideas?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Need to find some more uses for the Hammer. Ground Hammer pops people up a little, but it has so much start up. Anyone have any ideas?
I'm thinking people should find some way to explore the stone, that temporary invisibility against attacks...

But hmm, hammer ideas. This one is so tough because of exactly what you said, it's slow. If you're using this, I really feels like it should be in the air. BUT huge caveat here, why not experiment with it for something new? Maybe it does have some use that no one really figured out yet.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Hi Mooninite! Um, he went Samus, but you may know that already by now.

As for the conversation between Malkasaur and Capps, it's basically use the stone against characters who are prone to juggle you.

And ground hammer? Really, you should only use it when going for style points (friendlies, basically.) I think aerial hammer's utility is documented elsewhere on this board but basically it's better to reverse it so you set up the opponent for the up tilt.

I once prevented a decent fox from up smashing me by using the aerial hammer in tumble animation after (I think) a sour spotted up smash. There's a video on youtube, but I get crushed so it's probably best that no serious Kirby players actually watches the whole thing.

Last edited:

Dodger

Smash Ace
What character did Sung go?

Also, I was wondering the following since I can't test it: If you use inhale while your back is turned to fox and falco, and they sideB into you, who wins the exchange?
Fox will definitely win that; Not sure about Falco since his hitbox on that move is behind him.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Anyone that's on the East Coast that is willing to practice some of Kirby's MUs with me over netplay? Add me on Skype: darkflare360

owLy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, new to smashboards and love playing Kirby! I've had a look in this thread but was overwhelmed with information. Could anybody perhaps point me to some VODs of competitive kirby players or a cool guide? Thank you!

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, new to smashboards and love playing Kirby! I've had a look in this thread but was overwhelmed with information. Could anybody perhaps point me to some VODs of competitive kirby players or a cool guide? Thank you!
I'd recomend watching "The Kirby Cheat" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCIyJU8MwgQ ) and any of t1mmy's videos ( http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL819E00E2FD364A63 ). I'd also recommend that you watch Mango's Kirby ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axS3ffyTNzg ) and Mew2King's Kirby ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blsY7fX3LvU ).

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
No problem. I also find that one of the best ways to get better with Kirby is by learning from other characters. For example, I learned how to optimize the use of swallowcide after I watched aMSa's Yoshi.

Triple R

Smash Lord

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Here are videos of me playing Kirby at a tournament this past weekend

Davis Weekly #3 July 27 2014
3 out of 13

Winners Round 1: C. Rabbit :kirbymelee: vs Fly Taka :falcomelee:http://www.twitch.tv/davissmash/c/4774452
Winners Round 2: C. Rabbit :kirbymelee: vs Nhat :marthmelee:http://www.twitch.tv/davissmash/c/4774473
Winners Semis: C. Rabbit :kirbymelee: vs Bon Bon :sheikmelee:http://www.twitch.tv/davissmash/c/4776600
Winners Final: C. Rabbit :kirbymelee: vs DizzKidBoogie :icsmelee:http://www.twitch.tv/davissmash/c/4776671
Losers Final: C. Rabbit :kirbymelee: vs Nhat :foxmelee:http://www.twitch.tv/davissmash/c/4776701

Stream demanded that I have all my matches played live just if you're wondering lol.

I could have played the :icsmelee: match up more patiently. The :foxmelee: match up, I could've played differently. But this is where I'm at with :kirbymelee: atm. I'm trying on working on a less sloppy play style. Less random tilts and bairs, and to be more intentional with my moves and techs. Plus the :foxmelee:/:falcomelee:/:sheikmelee:/:marthmelee: match ups keep getting harder as my opponents are more and more used to playing against a Kirby. Just trying to see what I can dig out from probably Nash, Gold Dart, or Triple R.

Top Bottom