• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
if anyone here plays WoW... I've been in the Cataclysm beta for a while now :D just finished the Worgen starting area.
*Respect for Asdioh decreases greatly*

Ehhh, love isn't a feeling, it's a concept. And I don't believe in love, it's just physical attraction by two sexes who wish to procreate, who also find each other interesting. Once one of the two gets boring or brings up a part of them that the other doesn't like, "love" dies.

It's all a flowchart, really. Just like life: You're born => learn to walk and talk => go to school => get a girlfriend => graduate and get a carreer/job <-> marry (interchangeable) => have a family => retire => die.

Man, life is so bleak once you think about it as hard as I have. It's too bad it's impossible to break the cycle, with over 2 trillion previously-existing humans on our planet it'd make sense that everything that has to do with love and life has been done already by someone else. Doesn't it feel bad that you're probably not gonna be anyone special, and instead die like the trillions that came before you, having no one to remember you and having done nothing worth living for? :\
which is why I'm aiming to be a world-famous scientist/engineer/inventor who creates/finds something amazing that will have my name recorded in history!

./down_to_earth_/_realism
I completely disagree with almost everything here. I'm not sure what love is, and I'm not sure if you can tell that you're experiencing true love at any given time, but it's not just people who want to have sex with each other.

I would agree with fromundaman (or JoWii, or whoever posted it) that life is a journey to become happy. When I was depressed in the past few years (about 3 years ago until 1 year ago), I thought a lot about life, and decided that we're on earth so that we can learn and share what we've learned, and also that we'll all have the chance to save at least 1 person's life, whether it be physically or saving them from the terrible disease that is depression.

Also, I'm an agnostic theist, which means I believe in God but cannot know of his existence, and do not believe in any particular religion. The main reason I believe that is because, if there isn't God, then our lives are pointless (since we cease to exist after we die), and I'd rather not believe that. And there's no real reason for any particular religion to be the true one...

As for the part about not having any impact on the world, all our choices (especially those about having children) will impact the world in some way, and some of them tremendously. Can you honestly say that the world would be the same in 400 years whether or not you had children?

I could help out more if I knew what happened between you two. :ohwell:
This please.

Also, from the bits and pieces that I do understand, I will say this: my point still stands.

Right now, your attachment with her is still there, since she's still physically there. Once she's gone, it's probably gonna get worse (I'm saying probably because I don't know how you still feel about her). Anyways, point is that you're probably gonna feel alone since you don't have her with you now, which is why it's best to just take things easy. This is the time to bring your friends back in your life, full-time. They'll help fill the loneliness in your heart.

Actually, something that made me happy after my girlfriend broke up with me was to try to appreciate what I already have. For example, I have a wonderful family. I have a fairly large group of good friends, along with a million other acquaintances. I'm studying in college and I like what I'm studying. I have a million instruments at my house and I have a blast playing them all, and with my friends as well, etc etc etc blah.

Next, look at the benefits of her being out of your life. My girlfriend was expensive, wasting my time (which I'll remind you is gold), money, and energy. Worrying about if she's okay and whatever was seriously way too much stress, and having her leave me made me realize how much fun it is to be single. Now I can play all the smash I want. I ain't complaining.

Okay so I rambled there for a bit. Back on track.

So yeah, you're gonna feel a bit lonely, but the best thing that you can do is just look at the bright side, and try not to think of her too much. Time will pass and the whole thing will be behind you.

Hoping this helps. :monkey:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I completely disagree with almost everything here. I'm not sure what love is, and I'm not sure if you can tell that you're experiencing true love at any given time, but it's not just people who want to have sex with each other.

The most powerful attraction between two people is the one of procreation.

hubpages said:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Sexual-Attraction--Evolution--and-Biology

skip through until What Men And Women Find Attractive
PsychDaily said:
http://www.psychdaily.com/encyclopedia.php?term=Psychology+of+love]

Buss (1988) proposes an evolutionary theory of love and mate selection. According to this theory, love functions to: (1) attract a mate, (2) retain that mate, (3) reproduce with the mate, and (4) invest parentally in the resulting offspring (p. 101). The ultimate goal of these acts is to increase reproductive success.
Two should be enough. ;)

It's not that I'm saying everyone is wrong, it's that there's specifics in common with each culture's way of defining love, and what there is in common is the universally accepted definition of what really makes love tick.

I would agree with fromundaman (or JoWii, or whoever posted it) that life is a journey to become happy. When I was depressed in the past few years (about 3 years ago until 1 year ago), I thought a lot about life, and decided that we're on earth so that we can learn and share what we've learned, and also that we'll all have the chance to save at least 1 person's life, whether it be physically or saving them from the terrible disease that is depression.

Also, I'm an agnostic theist, which means I believe in God but cannot know of his existence, and do not believe in any particular religion. The main reason I believe that is because, if there isn't God, then our lives are pointless (since we cease to exist after we die), and I'd rather not believe that. And there's no real reason for any particular religion to be the true one...

My take on religion is different too. I believe in God, but I don't agree with many things in every religion, and have done the reverse-engineering version of studying to find out what they all have in common, and that is where I feel all the religions came from.

You can't say one is right and the other ones are wrong, nor can you say that they are all right. But you CAN say that they're all wrong because none of them have conclusive proof of everything they do and believe. I will just live life by putting others before me at every instance where I can, and make life better for whoever I help out, one by one (or a bunch at the same time, if I invent something amazing and it revolutionizes civilian life as we know it)... The belief that a higher being has created the world is shared with almost every single religion that the only logical way of thinking for a man who refuses to be an atheist, is that there is indeed some higher power, or if I'm ever pulled into the atheist side, I'll compare God's creation of everything to the Big Bang.

As for the part about not having any impact on the world, all our choices (especially those about having children) will impact the world in some way, and some of them tremendously. Can you honestly say that the world would be the same in 400 years whether or not you had children?
If you don't have chilcdren, someone else will have children. If you don't marry X person, Y person will marry him/her. If you fail to do your job, someone else will do it for you. If you decide on not making an important decision, someone else will make that decision for you and reap the rewards/punishment. If you fail to create something or refuse to do so, someone will do it in your stead later on.

The only thing that really is affected when you refuse, is the amount of time spent getting to X point in time. If Benjamin Franklin would never have been interested in electricity, someone else would eventually be interested in it and discover the same things. If Hitler didn't start a war, someone else would cause a war to happen later on in history... Everything is inevitable, the only thing that changes when a person decides on not complying with a decisio that will affect many, is that later in the future, someone else will be afflicted with the same, or a similar, decision.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
The most powerful attraction between two people is the one of procreation.
Since I haven't experienced what I define as true love, or one of procreation (well, other than teen boy urges...), I'm not sure I'm fit to argue with you about this.

Kewkky said:
My take on religion is different too. I believe in God, but I don't agree with many things in every religion, and have done the reverse-engineering version of studying to find out what they all have in common, and that is where I feel all the religions came from.

You can't say one is right and the other ones are wrong, nor can you say that they are all right. But you CAN say that they're all wrong because none of them have conclusive proof of everything they do and believe. I will just live life by putting others before me at every instance where I can, and make life better for whoever I help out, one by one (or a bunch at the same time, if I invent something amazing and it revolutionizes civilian life as we know it)... The belief that a higher being has created the world is shared with almost every single religion that the only logical way of thinking for a man who refuses to be an atheist, is that there is indeed some higher power, or if I'm ever pulled into the atheist side, I'll compare God's creation of everything to the Big Bang.
I don't object to anything here.

Kewkky said:
If you don't have children, someone else will have children. If you don't marry X person, Y person will marry him/her. If you fail to do your job, someone else will do it for you. If you decide on not making an important decision, someone else will make that decision for you and reap the rewards/punishment. If you fail to create something or refuse to do so, someone will do it in your stead later on.

The only thing that really is affected when you refuse, is the amount of time spent getting to X point in time. If Benjamin Franklin would never have been interested in electricity, someone else would eventually be interested in it and discover the same things. If Hitler didn't start a war, someone else would cause a war to happen later on in history... Everything is inevitable, the only thing that changes when a person decides on not complying with a decision that will affect many, is that later in the future, someone else will be afflicted with the same, or a similar, decision.
I'd just like to say this is similar to a semi-popular theory of how time travel works (that it's possible to change small events of history, but that, say, if you killed Hitler, another Nazi would stand up and do the same things).

Someone else may have children with your potential wife, but they will be different children. Your genes and your actions could have insanely large effects on the future. Or they could not.

While I agree that some things (like the discovery of electricity) would've happened regardless of who discovered them, there are some roles that can only be played out by 1 person. I was suicidal for a long time, and I can't say whether or not the person who comforted me was the only one who could, but I think, at least statistically, that there must be some jobs that can only be done by one person. In the extreme case, suppose I walk in on someone about to shoot themselves. Only I can save (or refuse to save) them.

We seem to differ on whether or not destiny exists. I believe that our future is fixed, but that we have free will to decide what that fixed destiny is. You seem to believe differently.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Eh, I don't believe in destiny, not even one bit... But there are things that are going to happen regardless of the person wrought with the decision. If we're a lazy civilization and in the year 2100 a meteor is discovered to crash onto our planet and kill us all, and since we're lazy we didn't find a way to stop it from doing so, then I guess our civilization will disappear forever. If we're a hard-working civilization who are ready to progress technologically and socially, once we discover the meteor's there, we can alter the future of the planet by acting upon our urge to preserve life as we know it.

I could be a scientist, I could be a psychologist, I could be a philosopher, or even a musician. If I wasn't here because my parents didn't marry, then seeing as our world is as competitive as it is (with our over-population, there's competition for jobs everywhere), I probably wouldn't become a scientist and somebody else will. Chances are that someone later will discover that which I am bound to discover due to my motivation, but the time wasted between me discovering it, or the next person discovering it, is the only real change.

People are born, grow, and die, and we don't even notice they were alive to begin with. Right now an old man in China is probably dying, and we don't even know about it. Once he dies, the world will be no better or worse than it was when he was alive, even if he was the CEO of a huge company: other CEO's will follow, and the company will run its course and bankrupt soon enough, it's inevitable. If that old man never existed, some other person who was the runner-up for the position would have instead gotten the job, and he could've been the one to start a movement that would speed up the advancement of the company, or he could've destroyed the company altogether... Like I said, the only thing that really changes is the amount of time it takes to reach a goal. It's sorta like manipulating history... Except it's nothing sci-fi, it's actually real.

So in the end, we're just catalysts. People who live a flowcharted way of life, who either increase or decrease the time it takes us to reach a landmark in history. if Albert Einstein never would've existed, the nuke bomb would've been discovered later in time and would've been used for some other conflict besides the war against Japan, but it would've been created nevertheless... The most you can do with your life is be one of those people who affect your civilization's goals in a positive manner: instead of pushing goals further away and/or bringing our doom closer, you should do the total opposite and help strive to reach landmarks in history/assure that our future is safe for years to come (until someone screws up).

Life can be so weird once you think about it this way. Suppose a woman is going to give birth later in life to a child who will grow up and save the world from being destroyed decades after his major landmark. The woman is going to get pregnant during a walk outside of her house by getting violated by a late-night marauder. You're a policeman who foresees this, and you put the marauder in jail before the violation takes place. You're a hero to many many people, but now the world is doomed to destruction.

Man, this should've been in the Debate Hall.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Eh, I don't believe in destiny, not even one bit... But there are things that are going to happen regardless of the person wrought with the decision. If we're a lazy civilization and in the year 2100 a meteor is discovered to crash onto our planet and kill us all, and since we're lazy we didn't find a way to stop it from doing so, then I guess our civilization will disappear forever. If we're a hard-working civilization who are ready to progress technologically and socially, once we discover the meteor's there, we can alter the future of the planet by acting upon our urge to preserve life as we know it.

I could be a scientist, I could be a psychologist, I could be a philosopher, or even a musician. If I wasn't here because my parents didn't marry, then seeing as our world is as competitive as it is (with our over-population, there's competition for jobs everywhere), I probably wouldn't become a scientist and somebody else will. Chances are that someone later will discover that which I am bound to discover due to my motivation, but the time wasted between me discovering it, or the next person discovering it, is the only real change.

People are born, grow, and die, and we don't even notice they were alive to begin with. Right now an old man in China is probably dying, and we don't even know about it. Once he dies, the world will be no better or worse than it was when he was alive, even if he was the CEO of a huge company: other CEO's will follow, and the company will run its course and bankrupt soon enough, it's inevitable. If that old man never existed, some other person who was the runner-up for the position would have instead gotten the job, and he could've been the one to start a movement that would speed up the advancement of the company, or he could've destroyed the company altogether... Like I said, the only thing that really changes is the amount of time it takes to reach a goal. It's sorta like manipulating history... Except it's nothing sci-fi, it's actually real.

So in the end, we're just catalysts. People who live a flowcharted way of life, who either increase or decrease the time it takes us to reach a landmark in history. if Albert Einstein never would've existed, the nuke bomb would've been discovered later in time and would've been used for some other conflict besides the war against Japan, but it would've been created nevertheless... The most you can do with your life is be one of those people who affect your civilization's goals in a positive manner: instead of pushing goals further away and/or bringing our doom closer, you should do the total opposite and help strive to reach landmarks in history/assure that our future is safe for years to come (until someone screws up).

Life can be so weird once you think about it this way. Suppose a woman is going to give birth later in life to a child who will grow up and save the world from being destroyed decades after his major landmark. The woman is going to get pregnant during a walk outside of her house by getting violated by a late-night marauder. You're a policeman who foresees this, and you put the marauder in jail before the violation takes place. You're a hero to many many people, but now the world is doomed to destruction.

Man, this should've been in the Debate Hall.
I don't really believe the general flow of history is unchangeable, and I'm going to pull this one from a weird place...Dragon Ball (yea, again).

In case you don't know the backstory, and because I really wanna relive this, I'll give you the story: 4 years after the defeat of Frieza, Goku has died of a radical new heart virus. Future Trunks has been born to Future Bulma and Future Vegeta. A pair of Androids, #17 and #18, created by the evil scientist Dr.Gero, kill all of the Z-Fighters except Gohan. Future Trunks is trained by Gohan, until Gohan is killed by the Androids. F Bulma makes a time machine so F Trunks can go back in time, give Goku the antidote to his virus (which has been discovered since his death), and find a way to destroy the androids. The other timeline branches off considerably into the Androids, Cell, and ultimately Majin Buu Saga.

Let's say that F Trunks wasn't born to Bulma and Vegeta, but to some random people at a time where he would be 17ish when the androids came. His being born changed history. If his parents hadn't procreated, the entire timeline would have shifted drastically.

The point of that (other than to talk about my favorite manga) was to show that there are significant changes an individual can make to history, which no one else can. We are not doomed to discover a set of things, to do a set of things, where the only question is who did them.

Once that old man dies, I won't be affected. But he may have distant affected one of my parents: perhaps he saved my grandfather during the Holocaust, which allowed my mother to be created. It's not clear the impact any of our actions will have on the world. Maybe my grandson will see the meteor zooming towards the Earth.

If you haven't read it, A Sound of Thunder is an interesting story that supports my argument about the Butterfly Effect.

I believe (though I may be wrong) that you believe in some kind of afterlife, which means that my children being or not being born isn't only significant in this world, it affects the next one as well. So, even if someone would've done what my children will do, the world will be different because they didn't exist.

Finally, I have a question for you. If you believe your life is not significant, that whatever you do could and would be done by someone else, why haven't you put a shotgun to your head? If all you personally can really do is delay our race's destruction, why do you live? I don't mean any offense by this.

I agree that this could be better placed in the Debate Hall.

Edit: I am removing myself temporarily from this debate to finish the Fox summary.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't really believe the general flow of history is unchangeable, and I'm going to pull this one from a weird place...Dragon Ball (yea, again).

In case you don't know the backstory, and because I really wanna relive this, I'll give you the story: 4 years after the defeat of Frieza, Goku has died of a radical new heart virus. Future Trunks has been born to Future Bulma and Future Vegeta. A pair of Androids, #17 and #18, created by the evil scientist Dr.Gero, kill all of the Z-Fighters except Gohan. Future Trunks is trained by Gohan, until Gohan is killed by the Androids. F Bulma makes a time machine so F Trunks can go back in time, give Goku the antidote to his virus (which has been discovered since his death), and find a way to destroy the androids. The other timeline branches off considerably into the Androids, Cell, and ultimately Majin Buu Saga.

Let's say that F Trunks wasn't born to Bulma and Vegeta, but to some random people at a time where he would be 17ish when the androids came. His being born changed history. If his parents hadn't procreated, the entire timeline would have shifted drastically.

The point of that (other than to talk about my favorite manga) was to show that there are significant changes an individual can make to history, which no one else can. We are not doomed to discover a set of things, to do a set of things, where the only question is who did them.

Well to tell you the truth, this is only so assuming that time travel is possible. There are many reasons as to why this isn't possible, but the one that stands to mind is a quantum physics theory (and very interesting, makes sense): a small particle can be in infinite places at the same time, but something of a quantitatively larger mass is bound into a single place by gravity's effect, which is the force that draws together two different masses; the larger the mass, the more gravity has an effect on it, and the less likely it is to appear in more than one place (quick source: http://discovermagazine.com/2005/jun/cover). We as human beings who weight quantitatively much more than subatomic particles are bound to one place in space-time (as we can see by simply looking around... If you look at your computer, you count one computer, because its mass is big enough to be fixed on a single location, else you may have two perfect copies of the same computer and not even know it), so a copy of yourself traveling back in time would be impossible. To travel back in time you have to go through each moment backwards until the desired time-frame, and since you already exist one fraction of a second before, it is impossible to find yourself in any time-line besides your own... It goes against the laws of the universe!

Just like with heliocentrism/geocentrism, as soon as a theory is proven to contradict this (such as one that proves time travel is possible), we will have to re-evaluate lots of theories and change them accordingly. But the way I see it, time travel requires yet another number of dimensions in our four-dimensional universe (three of size (length x heigth x width), and one of time (we only move forward in time), specifically more time dimensions. So, for the few number of dimensions we have, the theory holds strong, and points out that time travel just isn't possible in our universe. Sooo, we can't use Trunks' example (and yeah i watched DB/DBZ/DBGT ;)), which still leaves us needing an acceptable eccample from your point of view that complies with the present theories (not meaning any disrespect).

Once that old man dies, I won't be affected. But he may have distant affected one of my parents: perhaps he saved my grandfather during the Holocaust, which allowed my mother to be created.

Which still follows my examples, by the way. You may never have existed, or your conscience may have existed in another form... But that last part's just :083: thinking.

It's not clear the impact any of our actions will have on the world.

Yep, which is the basis of speculation, which brings us to forming our opinions on things... Like we're doing right now! For all we know we both re wrong and destiny's actually real, but it seems more logical that time is not fixed, and our actions aren't predetermined.

If you haven't read it, A Sound of Thunder is an interesting story that supports my argument about the Butterfly Effect.

I'll read it in a few minutes. ;)

I believe (though I may be wrong) that you believe in some kind of afterlife, which means that my children being or not being born isn't only significant in this world, it affects the next one as well. So, even if someone would've done what my children will do, the world will be different because they didn't exist.

That's true. It makes me wonder, is your soul created before you enter this world? Is your soul created as soon as you enter this world? Or is it created WHILE you live in this world?

But in the world of science, it is assumed that God doesn't exist, else scientists wouldn't have suggested the Big Bang, multiple universes, sub-atomic particles, and all of those non-biblical discoveries/theories that seem to contradict the thought of an afterlife. Most scientists believe that after they die they will disappear forever (the thought of not existing is perplexing in and of itself... It can't be blackness for eternity because it would mean that we're conscious of our nonexistence, and the thought of nothingness is simply mind-boggling. It really leaves no room for speculation except that of an afterlife), same as how they believe there is no superior being as a God watching over us.

Finally, I have a question for you. If you believe your life is not significant, that whatever you do could and would be done by someone else, why haven't you put a shotgun to your head? If all you personally can really do is delay our race's destruction, why do you live? I don't mean any offense by this.

Well, my main drive is to leave my mark on the world. Like I said before, leaving my name written in the history books just like the famous scientists, musicians, dictators, philosophers, authors... Another reason would be that of procreating; I want to make sure my genes are passed on, whether they are good or bad genes, I want to see my children grow and be better than me in every single way (or at least, in the ways that they wish to be better than me. They might grow up to be muscleheads, who knows!)... And of course, the reason of experiencing that which comes once in a lifetime (as far as we're all aware): living our lives. I wouldn't want to pass up this opportunity!

But if I were to kill myself, I couldn't say that the world would be better or worse off. I've yet to reach that point in life where my influence is large enough to have an effect on our civilization if I lived or died, and I'm still unsure of what my future might hold. I have plans and ambitions, I'm a very ambitious person, but no matter how much motivation I have, I may not fulfill my plans and end up serving in a McDonald's for the rest of my days. There's always the off-chance!

EDIT: I posted it in the Debate Hall Proving Grounds, since I don't have access to the Debate Hall yet... :(

I can't wait to read what they have to say on the matter.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
*Wall of text about time travel*
This...kinda misses the point of that tangent. The point wasn't that Trunks went back in time, it was that he had an enormous impact on history. And I proposed that he came from that timeline. If he was some kind of brilliant scientist, he may have found the cure to Goku's heart virus, and saved the timeline. This isn't a great example, but it still is one.

Kewkky said:
Which still follows my examples, by the way. You may never have existed, or your conscience may have existed in another form... But that last part's just :083: thinking.
Yes, I may never have existed, which shows the impact that old man had on the world.

Kewkky said:
Yep, which is the basis of speculation, which brings us to forming our opinions on things... Like we're doing right now! For all we know we both re wrong and destiny's actually real, but it seems more logical that time is not fixed, and our actions aren't predetermined.
Yes. However, your opinions are that anything I could've done but didn't do will be done by someone else, so that I'm probably not that influential to this time. Mine are that many of our actions can create ripples that change the world. Let's say I ask out my friend who I think I'm crushing on tomorrow, and we cornily end up married. Our children could do anything with their lives, which could ripple out to many others, which might end up destroying or saving our world.

My opinion of destiny is that it's easy to look back on decisions we've made and say "That was predetermined," but difficult to look forward and say "I know who'll win the 2020 presidential election."

Kewkky said:
That's true. It makes me wonder, is your soul created before you enter this world? Is your soul created as soon as you enter this world? Or is it created WHILE you live in this world?

But in the world of science, it is assumed that God doesn't exist, else scientists wouldn't have suggested the Big Bang, multiple universes, sub-atomic particles, and all of those non-biblical discoveries/theories that seem to contradict the thought of an afterlife. Most scientists believe that after they die they will disappear forever (the thought of not existing is perplexing in and of itself... It can't be blackness for eternity because it would mean that we're conscious of our nonexistence, and the thought of nothingness is simply mind-boggling. It really leaves no room for speculation except that of an afterlife), same as how they believe there is no superior being as a God watching over us.
The questions are things I've thought about, but it doesn't make sense for us to speculate about things which might not exist.

I'm aware of the science stuff. It makes me wonder if my arguments (that without an afterlife, our lives don't have meaning) are either profound and new or have already been debunked by some person. It seems more likely to be the latter... :( . I'm sure most scientists aren't stupid, so they've thought about these questions, and I wish I knew the answers they've comforted themselves with.

Kewkky said:
Well, my main drive is to leave my mark on the world. Like I said before, leaving my name written in the history books just like the famous scientists, musicians, dictators, philosophers, authors... Another reason would be that of procreating; I want to make sure my genes are passed on, whether they are good or bad genes, I want to see my children grow and be better than me in every single way (or at least, in the ways that they wish to be better than me. They might grow up to be muscleheads, who knows!)... And of course, the reason of experiencing that which comes once in a lifetime (as far as we're all aware): living our lives. I wouldn't want to pass up this opportunity!
This is the answer I think I would've said, and that I was hoping to see :) . The reason I wouldn't kill myself if I believed God didn't exist would be because I knew someone might convince me otherwise.

Leaving my name somewhere is also a goal for me. I once thought I would be a baseball player, then a smasher, and now I'm hoping to be some kind of chess master, but I understand that it's fairly unlikely. I'd like to be a hotshot mathematician, proving new theorems, but I doubt that'll happen. The only impact I'm sure I'll have is making those I love happy, and creating a world where my children can fulfill their dreams. It seems like there's some hope for our race :) . We seem to always do better than our friends did when they were our age, and our children always outperform us.

Living my life is the best blessing I've ever been given, and I'm glad I never chose to take it. I know I'll be depressed again. But I know I'll be someone's savior, fall in love and do anything for it, buy my children their bikes, and eventually die and find out what the hell happens afterward. All in my future, predetermined or not.

Kewkky said:
But if I were to kill myself, I couldn't say that the world would be better or worse off. I've yet to reach that point in life where my influence is large enough to have an effect on our civilization if I lived or died, and I'm still unsure of what my future might hold. I have plans and ambitions, I'm a very ambitious person, but no matter how much motivation I have, I may not fulfill my plans and end up serving in a McDonald's for the rest of my days. There's always the off-chance!
Most of us (all of us on SWF, most likely) have yet to reach that point in life where we know what effect we've had. We all have plans and ambitions, and we all hope we don't fail miserably at them. ^_^

Also, you messed up the colors when quoting me. :p

I'd love to see what the Debate people have to say about our long-winded discussions. :D

Edit: Looking at the thread. I'm you'll need to continue adding these posts xD, and fix the colors (in the second post you quoted) :p sorry for the inconvenience with them. And now I need to apply for permission to try out for Debate Hall...lol.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
which is why I'm aiming to be a world-famous scientist/engineer/inventor who creates/finds something amazing that will have my name recorded in history!
uh, why don't you just become world-famous as "The best kirby ever"?

This makes no sense to me. You can say that all religions are wrong, but you're going to go ahead and say that some "God" exists because... why? Is it just more comfortable or what?

I'm gonna try to get Teran in here because lulz.

People talking about "love" and what they think it is is always ridiculously amusing. Everybody thinks they're right by default. Of course.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
This...kinda misses the point of that tangent. The point wasn't that Trunks went back in time, it was that he had an enormous impact on history. And I proposed that he came from that timeline. If he was some kind of brilliant scientist, he may have found the cure to Goku's heart virus, and saved the timeline. This isn't a great example, but it still is one.
If Goku would've died, chances are the world would've been destroyed. Goku lived, so the world wasn't destroyed then and there. After DBGT ends, we see his descendants sparring in a tourney, proving that the world is still there... But who's to say what happens afterward? Maybe a tougher enemy destroys the world again like Buu did, but this time, they won't be able to revive the Earth since they did so once before, which means the world is still ultimately destroyed.

Even if no superpowerful enemy that would one-up Ih Shenron ever appeared, the world would've eventually been destroyed by the sun running out of fuel, and expanding then contracting due to the transformations of hydrogen > helium > carbon. That could be the farthest the planet could live, and so its destruction was still inevitable. Once again, even if a mega-powerful good guy pushed the planet to a new galaxy and now they had a new sun to live from, sooner or later the world would run out of chances and it would ultimately end up being destroyed... So all that the scientist (or Trunks) did was postpone the inevitable, push an event farther down the time-line, which falls in contrast with that which I've been saying. ;)

Yes, I may never have existed, which shows the impact that old man had on the world.
It only really impacted an isolated scenario, which is your existence (not meaning disrespect). You wouldnt've existed, but in the same way that a parent chooses to have 2 children instead of 3/4/5, your existence can be destroyed by a simple action, no one would ever know that you would've existed, and that which you might have accomplished will probably be done by someone else farther down the time-line (provided the world doesn't get destroyed before then).

Yes. However, your opinions are that anything I could've done but didn't do will be done by someone else, so that I'm probably not that influential to this time. Mine are that many of our actions can create ripples that change the world. Let's say I ask out my friend who I think I'm crushing on tomorrow, and we cornily end up married. Our children could do anything with their lives, which could ripple out to many others, which might end up destroying or saving our world.

My opinion of destiny is that it's easy to look back on decisions we've made and say "That was predetermined," but difficult to look forward and say "I know who'll win the 2020 presidential election."
In a sense, that's the same thing as I'm saying. The existence on one person can branch off into many more people's existences once he and his descendants procreate, which is an entire pedigree chart's worth of generations... But whether you existed or not, someone else's existence would most likely reach the same goals as you or your descendants did, whether or not it's faster or takes more time.

I'm aware of the science stuff. It makes me wonder if my arguments (that without an afterlife, our lives don't have meaning) are either profound and new or have already been debunked by some person. It seems more likely to be the latter... :( . I'm sure most scientists aren't stupid, so they've thought about these questions, and I wish I knew the answers they've comforted themselves with.
Aww, come on man, don't get all down like that! Think of it as something to strive for... Make it one of your goals to find out as much as you can about it, live and grow to pursuit the answers!
scientists rule

This is the answer I think I would've said, and that I was hoping to see :) . The reason I wouldn't kill myself if I believed God didn't exist would be because I knew someone might convince me otherwise.

Leaving my name somewhere is also a goal for me. I once thought I would be a baseball player, then a smasher, and now I'm hoping to be some kind of chess master, but I understand that it's fairly unlikely. I'd like to be a hotshot mathematician, proving new theorems, but I doubt that'll happen. The only impact I'm sure I'll have is making those I love happy, and creating a world where my children can fulfill their dreams. It seems like there's some hope for our race :) . We seem to always do better than our friends did when they were our age, and our children always outperform us.

Living my life is the best blessing I've ever been given, and I'm glad I never chose to take it. I know I'll be depressed again. But I know I'll be someone's savior, fall in love and do anything for it, buy my children their bikes, and eventually die and find out what the hell happens afterward. All in my future, predetermined or not.
That's the spirit! ;)

Most of us (all of us on SWF, most likely) have yet to reach that point in life where we know what effect we've had. We all have plans and ambitions, and we all hope we don't fail miserably at them. ^_^

If we do, someone else will complete them in our stead. ;) get it? hoooo, i'm awesome

Also, you messed up the colors when quoting me. :p

I tried fixing them, but SWF never lets me fix it! :mad:

Edit: Looking at the thread. I'm you'll need to continue adding these posts xD, and fix the colors :p sorry for the inconvenience with them lol. I can't post in that thread though...do I need special status to try out for the Debate Hall? O_o
Yep, you need to be at least a temp-debater to post there. Apply for it in the User CP's "User groups" tab. if you apply and they accept you as a debater, you get a name color change to KIRBY PINK! :bee:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lol dude it's all religion now, I think it'd be ill timed to get in on the whole love thing.

Besides, the divorce rates of today are all you need to lol at people's understanding of love. Dey got none.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Dat name search, eh?

Awesome avatar btw
Dat visitor message.

Lol dude it's all religion now, I think it'd be ill timed to get in on the whole love thing.

Besides, the divorce rates of today are all you need to lol at people's understanding of love. Dey got none.
Dude Teran what's hilarious is that this thread, and that other "love thread" in the disco room BOTH TURNED INTO DRAGONBALL DISCUSSION.

WHAT THE HELL

A1lion835

Smash Champion
This makes no sense to me. You can say that all religions are wrong, but you're going to go ahead and say that some "God" exists because... why? Is it just more comfortable or what?

People talking about "love" and what they think it is is always ridiculously amusing. Everybody thinks they're right by default. Of course.
Kewkky and I don't believe that any of the established religions are correct, but we do believe a deity exists because (at least I) think life is worthless without one. That's what I choose to believe.

I rarely debate for things that I don't believe in.

If Goku would've died, chances are the world would've been destroyed. Goku lived, so the world wasn't destroyed then and there. After DBGT ends, we see his descendants sparring in a tourney, proving that the world is still there... But who's to say what happens afterward? Maybe a tougher enemy destroys the world again like Buu did, but this time, they won't be able to revive the Earth since they did so once before, which means the world is still ultimately destroyed.

Even if no superpowerful enemy that would one-up Ih Shenron ever appeared, the world would've eventually been destroyed by the sun running out of fuel, and expanding then contracting due to the transformations of hydrogen > helium > carbon. That could be the farthest the planet could live, and so its destruction was still inevitable. Once again, even if a mega-powerful good guy pushed the planet to a new galaxy and now they had a new sun to live from, sooner or later the world would run out of chances and it would ultimately end up being destroyed... So all that the scientist (or Trunks) did was postpone the inevitable, push an event farther down the time-line, which falls in contrast with that which I've been saying. ;)
If Goku would've died, we know the world would've been destroyed, because that's what happened in Trunks' and Cell's timelines.

*Doesn't say DBGT is non-canon*

The world would probably be destroyed afterward, but there's a possibility that the future generations would become strong enough to fight off newer evils, and somehow invent a star recharger thing.

Also, simply the existence of the new generations in the afterlife makes the universe different enough to make it worth it.

Kewkky said:
It only really impacted an isolated scenario, which is your existence (not meaning disrespect). You wouldnt've existed, but in the same way that a parent chooses to have 2 children instead of 3/4/5, your existence can be destroyed by a simple action, no one would ever know that you would've existed, and that which you might have accomplished will probably be done by someone else farther down the time-line (provided the world doesn't get destroyed before then).
I agree with most of this (up until "and that which you might have accomplished"), but we don't know what my descendants would have done. It's what I've been arguing for the past 5 hours: that we can't know the exact impact of our actions. Maybe one of my descendants is the superhero who recharges the sun.

Kewkky said:
In a sense, that's the same thing as I'm saying. The existence on one person can branch off into many more people's existences once he and his descendants procreate, which is an entire pedigree chart's worth of generations... But whether you existed or not, someone else's existence would most likely reach the same goals as you or your descendants did, whether or not it's faster or takes more time.
It seems as though neither of us will compromise on this part. This is the same thing you were saying when we started, and I don't want to reword what I've been saying all this time. xD

Kewkky said:
Aww, come on man, don't get all down like that! Think of it as something to strive for... Make it one of your goals to find out as much as you can about it, live and grow to pursuit the answers!
scientists rule

If we do, someone else will complete them in our stead. ;) get it? hoooo, i'm awesome

I tried fixing them, but SWF never lets me fix it! :mad:
Don't worry, I'm not down :) . I guess that should be one of my goals.

Aw snap!

I like how angry I can make people by using DBZ as an argument. xDDD

Americans do seem to have a poor understanding of what makes a good relationship.

Asdioh, it's because, since I'm not a premium member, a different member took my place as the starter of DB discussions in the Disco Room thread.

(lolololol)

Since I have to get up at 7 tomorrow, this is it for me tonight. 'Night :D .

FFUUUUUUU so many walls of text D:

This may take some time.
This.

I just finished playing a session of Paper Mario and I already have a couple of essays to read (and none of them are responses to my quote :(:(:(). Ah well, there's always tomorrow.

Let's just hope that I don't wake up to a billion more essays x___________x.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
This please.

Also, from the bits and pieces that I do understand, I will say this: my point still stands.

Right now, your attachment with her is still there, since she's still physically there. Once she's gone, it's probably gonna get worse (I'm saying probably because I don't know how you still feel about her). Anyways, point is that you're probably gonna feel alone since you don't have her with you now, which is why it's best to just take things easy. This is the time to bring your friends back in your life, full-time. They'll help fill the loneliness in your heart.

Actually, something that made me happy after my girlfriend broke up with me was to try to appreciate what I already have. For example, I have a wonderful family. I have a fairly large group of good friends, along with a million other acquaintances. I'm studying in college and I like what I'm studying. I have a million instruments at my house and I have a blast playing them all, and with my friends as well, etc etc etc blah.

Next, look at the benefits of her being out of your life. My girlfriend was expensive, wasting my time (which I'll remind you is gold), money, and energy. Worrying about if she's okay and whatever was seriously way too much stress, and having her leave me made me realize how much fun it is to be single. Now I can play all the smash I want. I ain't complaining.

Okay so I rambled there for a bit. Back on track.

So yeah, you're gonna feel a bit lonely, but the best thing that you can do is just look at the bright side, and try not to think of her too much. Time will pass and the whole thing will be behind you.

Hoping this helps. :monkey:
Sorry, didn't want to make a HUGE wall of emo text, but essentially, yeah, I still love her, probably more than I should in fact, since I've lost her.

As for keeping friends around... this is a problem. I moved back to Akron for her, and while I have some people I get along with and hang out with, I have very few true friends here, and most of my other friends are, as a result of constant moving, spread out over 2 continents, with most of them being in dayton OH (other side of the state), some in Canada, and a few in France. Also my family is spread out in France, Florida, Italy and Australia. I have pretty much no one else where I am currently living, other than the people I play smash with on a weekly basis.

sacrificing myself and bringing a smile to people's faces, even though it has left me quite poor and with missing items, is what makes me feel good about myself and pushes me onward.
I identify with this so hard.

Also, I find your ideas, however little of them you have shared, somewhat similar to my own and intriguing. When I get my comp fixed, I'd love to get on some sort of chat program and have a discussion with you on that (although TBH, that's a subject I often like talking to people about. Maybe I should become a philosopher :laugh: )

I just want to point out that the theory of an afterlife of any kind seems to go hand in hand with our survival instinct and inability, as a species, to cope with mortality.

That being said, not having an afterlife doesn't make life pointless. As I said, the point of life IMO is to enjoy it, and help others enjoy it.

For everything else, don't have time to read through it all tonight but I would love to join this conversation tomorrow.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I thought the Kirby boards were stereotypically supposed to be the 12-year-old kid haven. What is this philosophical debate crap? Step it up guys.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Kewkky has become one of my new favourite people after reading these last 3 pages.

Your views on "life" are similar to mine, except I'm a little more optimistic. :D

Like that deep down burning feeling of mortality, when you think about it all, the fact that you are just another one of already countless people who have come and gone, no one will remember who you are, or what you did.

I kind of had this moment where I decided, if I can't know the answers to everything I want to know, then what's the point of existing in the 1st place?

No matter how famous you become, no matter how long your name lasts in history, in the end our existence will probably be erased by the sheer nature of our solar system.

Everything that has happened to bring us to this point will be undone.

Although unlike you, I don't do **** to try and make my name last forever, I just do what makes me happy while I'm here.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@ Kewkky- >_> You're like the exact definition of cynicism.

(Skipped wall of TXT)- FROMUNDAMAN LOOK WHAT THE **** YOU STARTED YOU JERK! I'll come back when these walls of txt are gone and the conversation has moved back into a realm of interesting while not high.

Double Post.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I now love this Lord Megatron guy for summing up everything Kewkky was talking about this past few pages because I can rejoin the discussion.

I have too realized that I'm a cog in a giant mechanism, as are all humans, and not even an important one. The thing is I don't justify my life's purpose by the existence of a higher purpose or a continued journey beyond death because that's a scapegoat. A scapegoat to avoid the simplicity that is existence.

Personally, I live to enjoy life and interact with people. I disagree that everyone's life is the same beyond we're born, we die because not everyone goes through the same 'markers'. Lot's of people don't have kids, some don't even get married, few don't get jobs ever, some don't need jobs by being born into a lifestyle, etc. .

Philosophy is the greatest gift the mind can offer; my personal favorite thought is the one of realities. Side-by-side realities exist with only the infinitesimal differences and no reality being the same as the next. Existence is as easy to explain as 0-1. There are an infinite amount of numbers simply between 0-1 and no number between 0 and 1 is the same but they are similar from 0 to 1. Our existence is but one of the infinite possibilities but in that conclusion we are unique. Life itself is the product of a unique property separating it from any other existence and I take pride in the fact that I'm a cog in this machine. I'm just a ****** cog. Ego. Get ****ing use to it because it's the only thing that'll get you through life. If you don't got one, it's because you aren't proud of yourself and how you're living your life and if that's the case, what's the point of living.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Dat visitor message.

Dude Teran what's hilarious is that this thread, and that other "love thread" in the disco room BOTH TURNED INTO DRAGONBALL DISCUSSION.

WHAT THE HELL
Oh well dude it's simple, Dragonball is just a true undying love.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
LMAO WHAT???

thats

wait girsl play rob???

also girls play pit alot also

Nick riddles girlfriend and fyre post there

BBQTV

Smash Master
@ Kewkky- >_> You're like the exact definition of cynicism.

(Skipped wall of TXT)- FROMUNDAMAN LOOK WHAT THE **** YOU STARTED YOU JERK! I'll come back when these walls of txt are gone and the conversation has moved back into a realm of interesting while not high.

Double Post.
agreed

when people talk about love they mean love girls or guys

but dont you love your friends and family?

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
there is just a certain point in live were the love you have for you friends and family just isn't enough...thats where that gf/bf comes in

thats just how I see it.

I dont like hanging out with my family...I love them but I'd rather be hanging out with a girl im interested in.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It depends on where you are in your life as well as how often you see them. I love seeing/hanging out with my mom's side of the family, since I never get to see them (they live in France), and they're pretty awesome.

That being said, it's a different type if love than romantic love.

It's like saying you don't need friends if you don't have family. You may love them both, but it's a different kind of love.

Oh, also, a quick note on the whole "people have no effect" thing: Yeah, if you don't do something, it's true, someone else probably eventually will. HOWEVER, no matter who you are or what you do, you will have an impact on people's lives. It might not be a lasting impact that is remembered for generations, but we are a social species that lives off of interaction, and your actions, regardless of what they may be, will always have a profound effect on people around you.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Yeah, she's gotten much better lately fuuu ROB. I must have my revenge at the next tourney! (Which btw is called Don't Get Stabbed lololol)

Top Bottom