• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Arcansi, I assume (and hope) I mis-read your post, but this is what I got from it:

"Lets not discuss this because it may lead to a contradiction to what I believe or think".

Here is a bad analogy, but one I use very often to troll people (I don't use this specific example, I generally use whatever is related to the topic being discussed, but since this is a brawl group, I'll use this one):

"Jigglypuff is the best character in brawl. Ignoring everything that is wrong with that statement, that statement is 100% true."

I have just proven, using logic, that Jigglypuff is the best character in brawl. Obviously in this case, my logic is very flawed, but given what I said, it proves that Jigglypuff is the best character in brawl.

This is exactly what I see in your post (and, to be completely honest, I see this in some of your other posts as well). And you finish it off by saying (continuing with my analogy) "it's dumb to bring up the possibility that Jigglypuff is not the best character in brawl, knowing the logical conclusion".
1. You should point it out more often. Not because your right, but I would appreciate it anyway.

2. It's more directly like me saying 'you don't know that FOR SURE' after every. single. thing. you say.

And guess what? I'm 100% correct, and I could technically refute every single thing that exists this way.

We understand this, so we assume it in every. single. thing. we do.

It's like how it's dumb to bring up the possibilty that jumps in brawl send you downward, or that back air is actually forward, or something.

actually that doesn't really apply to what arcansi is referring to

he's referring to the philosophical train of thought that our perception of "reality" is obtained through our senses, which may be inherently flawed, and since everything we know is ultimately built up from our perceptions of reality, we can't really know anything.

it's kinda like multiplying both sides of an equation by zero i guess... in that you end up losing information.... or something.
I was actually refering to the philisophical train of thought of how do you know you know something.

I don't know if that simplifies down into what your saying or not (they seem close but not the same).

I don't think your analogy fits, but it might.

I guess our conversation is going nowhere then.
Assuming you understand what was said in my previous post, it has gone where it was supposed to go.

I don't understand the true nature of this post, but I know it's not what you have written.

IMO it definitely feels like melee with some brawl aspects, like pivot grabbing and reverse aerial rushing.

You were advocating Bbrawl :p

Nobody liked bbrawl.
I also advocated brawl-. P:M, and Brawl+ at different times.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I had a really long post going, but I'll summarize it, since I feel like I'm about to fall asleep, and don't feel like re-fixing it 5 times...

Arcansi, that mindset (your side is correct, the opponent's side is incorrect, you must prove to them why your side is right, and refute or counter all the opponent's arguments, thereby making your side correct) is very good to have in certain situations. However, for the most part, in most debates we have here, nobody is that concerned about winning the debate/argument. So when you come in with that mindset, nobody cares enough to argue with you, and will ignore all your posts on that subject.

I forget who said it first, but you should try to enter some debates and such with an open mind instead of your current mindset. Whenever I enter a debate here, I usually have a good idea of what I am talking about, and usually I am at the time in favour of one of the possible outcomes (e.g. I am pro-ban in the MK legality debate, and anti-japan ruleset in the tuleset debate). However, whenever I enter a debate for one or the other, I never out-right say my way is correct, or that the other ways are wrong. I listen to everyone's opinions, and try to come to an agreeable solution. I give reasons for my side being right, and I give reasons for my side being wrong (or the other side being right). Example: MK legality. If he is banned, Ben might not come. If he is legal, I might not come. For the stage list, I have listened to everything people have said that they disagree with as far as stage lists goes, and have made several suggestions to fix this (e.g. old BC ruleset with an additional option to ban both Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar as one ban selection. Another suggestion was two stage bans). Other times, I go in to debates with a certain belief, however everyone else says otherwise, and even though I believe I am correct, I will concede my side, even still believing that I am right, thereby preventing an unnecessary argument that nobody would care about (if it's something not important, there's no point making a big deal out of it). Basically, I enter debates believing that I am correct, but never do I completely tunnel vision my beliefs and completely attempt to shoot down all of my opponent's views. I will even give points that counter or refute my own side. I generally enter and try to, alongside the other people, try to come to a happy middle that everyone can agree to, or come to an agreement on which side we believe to be right.

The thing you do differently than me here is you consistently promote your beliefs and constantly throw away all of everyone else's statements, even if they are more true or more proven than yours. When you start doing that, nobody cares about debating or arguing with you, because they know that you won't concede unless they give way too much effort than is necessary. Depending on the topic and importance of the debate, if it's an unimportant debate, people will say "fine Arcansi, whatever you say", and stop arguing, basically in an attempt to end the argument, even though you are still the only one who believes what you say. If it's an important debate and you are getting ignored, everyone puts their points in, while your points are basically left to float in the air.

I know this is completely against what you usually do or believe in, but if you think a topic is not important enough or not worth the argument, either concede your side if you are in the argument (thereby ending the argument, even if you still believe you are right), or don't enter the argument at all. It will die in about 10 posts anyways. This will not only save everyone from reading 50 posts of arguments over absolutely nothing (or at the very least, nothing important), but may also help in making people not get annoyed of your posts.

Just a little advice. None of it is meant to be attacks at you, just helpful advice. As usual, what you do with this advice is up to you.

edit: wow, this was the short version? I'm happy I didn't continue and make a long version haha

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
tl;dr: Stop arguing here. Do it somewhere else because nobody wants to do it here.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Worry not fellow Hylian, for Zelda has decreed the next tournament to be changed to the 23rd!
Made me raff xD I just mean that money might be an issue...I'd be sooo happy to come but pulling $60 a month from my $60/m paper route will get to me something...and I use that paper route money for my lunches n stuff too :/

tl;dr: Stop arguing here. Do it somewhere else because nobody wants to do it here.
And I totally agree with that ^ As important as these debates are, it's hard to talk about SSBB stuff when we see these xD

Arcansi

Smash Champion
And I totally agree with that ^ As important as these debates are, it's hard to talk about SSBB stuff when we see these xD
Except...many months ago I was told this thread is just used for talking. Not SSBB stuff as a main topic all the time, if even most of the time.

And as such, I find this fine, although I don't like that you guys don't like it, I am not so moved that I would stop.

No Offence.

[inb4noresponsetothis]

Arcansi, that mindset (your side is correct, the opponent's side is incorrect, you must prove to them why your side is right, and refute or counter all the opponent's arguments, thereby making your side correct) is very good to have in certain situations. However, for the most part, in most debates we have here, nobody is that concerned about winning the debate/argument. So when you come in with that mindset, nobody cares enough to argue with you, and will ignore all your posts on that subject.
So what are they interested in, if they would start such a thing?

Also, you have my mindset completely wrong. I'm just interested in finding a clear 'winner'. If I don't argue with all that I have, then the 'winner' isn't clear.

I forget who said it first, but you should try to enter some debates and such with an open mind instead of your current mindset. Whenever I enter a debate here, I usually have a good idea of what I am talking about, and usually I am at the time in favour of one of the possible outcomes (e.g. I am pro-ban in the MK legality debate, and anti-japan ruleset in the tuleset debate). However, whenever I enter a debate for one or the other, I never out-right say my way is correct, or that the other ways are wrong. I listen to everyone's opinions, and try to come to an agreeable solution. I give reasons for my side being right, and I give reasons for my side being wrong (or the other side being right). Example: MK legality. If he is banned, Ben might not come. If he is legal, I might not come. For the stage list, I have listened to everything people have said that they disagree with as far as stage lists goes, and have made several suggestions to fix this (e.g. old BC ruleset with an additional option to ban both Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar as one ban selection. Another suggestion was two stage bans). Other times, I go in to debates with a certain belief, however everyone else says otherwise, and even though I believe I am correct, I will concede my side, even still believing that I am right, thereby preventing an unnecessary argument that nobody would care about (if it's something not important, there's no point making a big deal out of it). Basically, I enter debates believing that I am correct, but never do I completely tunnel vision my beliefs and completely attempt to shoot down all of my opponent's views. I will even give points that counter or refute my own side. I generally enter and try to, alongside the other people, try to come to a happy middle that everyone can agree to, or come to an agreement on which side we believe to be right.
I enter with the belief that I am right only if I know I am. In arguments like picto//MK stuff, I enter knowing what I want and go for it.

I am ready to accept that I am wrong, and will if it comes to this. But I'm not going to accept it until it's proven.

If I can shoot your points down, they deserve to be shot down. It's not like I'm talking illogically.

Outright saying 'I'm right your wrong' is just so I can get responses. In an argument with my friend I would never need to say this, but online I will.

Conceding while believing I am right will never happen for me. I don't see the argument as needless or bad at all.

I feel that not completely shooting down your opponent if you can is a horrible thing to do, and would be malicious in my eyes. You are purposefully preventing the gain of knowledge for a theoretical gain of happiness that I cannot confirm exists.

I do the same thing, based on the situation. I just look at it that neither side is right until proven right.

The thing you do differently than me here is you consistently promote your beliefs and constantly throw away all of everyone else's statements, even if they are more true or more proven than yours. When you start doing that, nobody cares about debating or arguing with you, because they know that you won't concede unless they give way too much effort than is necessary. Depending on the topic and importance of the debate, if it's an unimportant debate, people will say "fine Arcansi, whatever you say", and stop arguing, basically in an attempt to end the argument, even though you are still the only one who believes what you say. If it's an important debate and you are getting ignored, everyone puts their points in, while your points are basically left to float in the air.
1. What do you mean by consistently promote my beliefs?

2. When have I ever thrown away a statement that was more proven//truer than mine? I would never intend or like to do this, if I have ever done it.

3. I understand just ditching when you don't think the argument is important enough or w/e. I don't like it but it's completely ok.

4. Why is it acceptable to just leave my points to float in the air? Especially if it's an important debate?

The eventual conclusion to getting ignored like that is me just leaving, although I would not like to do that. Not trying to be passive-aggressive, but I do not see any big reason to stay in an environment where I have no voice, and it is completely ok to ignore me. And that's a big reason to leave.

I know this is completely against what you usually do or believe in, but if you think a topic is not important enough or not worth the argument, either concede your side if you are in the argument (thereby ending the argument, even if you still believe you are right), or don't enter the argument at all. It will die in about 10 posts anyways. This will not only save everyone from reading 50 posts of arguments over absolutely nothing (or at the very least, nothing important), but may also help in making people not get annoyed of your posts.
1. I'll never do that. It goes against my feelings too much. I am ok if you guys do it, though. (although I'd prefer you just not state something if you can't back it up, nobody will likely agree with me or care to do so.)

2. I am sorry you guys are annoyed by my posts, but I cannot knowingly not promote the gain of knowledge simply to convenience others. I am sorry.

Just a little advice. None of it is meant to be attacks at you, just helpful advice. As usual, what you do with this advice is up to you.
As in the past, it seems you have made the wrong assumptions on your advice, and I would prefer you ask me these things without assuming them.

If you could perhaps use the right ones, I might be able to take it in.

No Offence.

There is some that's legit, however.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
This reminds me of the time Dawson publically announced his love for Falcon.

man he sure went balls out

good times :falcon:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
No offense has absolutely no meaning at all.

Aero posts here because we're awesome :D

Asa

Smash Hero
Made me raff xD I just mean that money might be an issue...I'd be sooo happy to come but pulling $60 a month from my $60/m paper route will get to me something...and I use that paper route money for my lunches n stuff too :/

irisz bby you better come to the tourney, i need mah teddy bair

What just happened. Also what was DK wearing /srs
It's called a pikmin rocket ; hit the pikmin with a move that can beat the atk while it's in it's animation and it'll go soaring.

No offense has absolutely no meaning at all.

Aero posts here because we're awesome :D

LOL godlike where are you finding these things?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
You don't say anything to offend the person if that's what you're trying to avoid. (Ie. Just don't talk)

No offense is like a cliche these days. It means you want to say something offensive but don't want to the person to feel bad. Two words won't do anything and mean nothing.

:phone:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
People who watch My Little Pony are [insert negative description here].

... no offense...

Quite clearly, that is mocking/attacking bronies. Saying no offense doesn't make it any better. That is what Kev is getting at. I used ponies as an example since it's something that would affect you (and obviously since I also like ponies, I don't really think this at all).

As I suggested to you months ago, if something you are saying has a chance of being taken offensively, either don't say it at all, or reword it so that it is not offensive. Saying something offensive and trying to cover it up by saying "no offense" or anything like that, if anything, just makes it worse.

SKidd

Smash Master
What if you're saying a nice thing to your enemy?

"I like your shirt. No compliment."

Arcansi

Smash Champion
People who watch My Little Pony are [insert negative description here].

... no offense...

Quite clearly, that is mocking/attacking bronies. Saying no offense doesn't make it any better. That is what Kev is getting at. I used ponies as an example since it's something that would affect you (and obviously since I also like ponies, I don't really think this at all).
Ok, ok.

But what about stuff like "Yes, I understand that you do not like what I am doing, but I do not value you over me, and as such I shall not stop."

Or something similar. It's quite obvious from a logical standpoint that no harm is meant here, and none of these things are said to hurt anyone.

And yet, people can and will take offense to it.

As I suggested to you months ago, if something you are saying has a chance of being taken offensively, either don't say it at all, or reword it so that it is not offensive. Saying something offensive and trying to cover it up by saying "no offense" or anything like that, if anything, just makes it worse.
You don't understand. I can't know if it's something that could or could not be taken offensively by you guys, because I don't think like you guys.

I basically just rate everything on a scale of 1-10 how many people would probably agree with someone if they were to take offense to this. If it scores higher then a 5, I put no offence after it, or don't type it because it has needless words in it.

I have no idea if this scale is good or correct, and no way to test it.

I also can't choose different words because I don't know how you guys think beyond basics, and as such have no idea if you'll take offense or not.

Also, what is the nice way to say... (just putting the statements down quickly, so it may sound more harsh then I would actually say it, fyi.)

'I'm sorry, but I'm not going to listen to what you want here.'

'You keep making the same mistake over and over. Please stop, so that I don't have to ignore you.'

'Hey, you don't seem to be acting like you have the ability to logically think and act, and you would probably be a lot less stressed if you did.'

etc.

You don't say anything to offend the person if that's what you're trying to avoid. (Ie. Just don't talk)
This is not useful advice, mostly because you know it isn't.

No offense is like a cliche these days. It means you want to say something offensive but don't want to the person to feel bad. Two words won't do anything and mean nothing.
I'm going to assume you mean those two words.

Also, for me it just means I want to constructively criticize someone but want them to take it as what it is, and not as an insult.

Is there a different way to go about this?

I love you Skidd.

Also, you guys have no idea how much I expect myself to like, get a notification saying I've been banned for trolling or something sometimes.

EDIT: Also, seems my inb4 was correct.

That sucks.

Top Bottom