• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Also, update on King Krazy

name: Arthur Lao
skill level: kantrip
Who is this Asian guy? Who does he play? Why is everybody at Kantrip's level? I feel inadequate.

I'm sorry Landon I thought everybody was caught up. Even Crisis is :)

Asa

Smash Hero
An old brawl clan.
lol wut were there any other bc smashers in that?

Who is this Asian guy? Who does he play? Why is everybody at Kantrip's level? I feel inadequate.

I'm sorry Landon I thought everybody was caught up. Even Crisis is :)
kev for the record i think you're above kantrip when you're not sad or some ****

KingKrazy is a guy I found while on aib freeplay. He mains snake/gw. He's from maple ridge and is excited to come play with us. On that note, we should have a smashfest in maple ridge next week!

Kantrip

Kantplay
People just hating on my skill because I use a top tier.

No but actually yeah Kevin you're really good and need to stop being down on your brawl skills :(

Captain L

Smash Champion
dude I'm only one episode behind and it just came out like two days ago, just gimme a week grace period to catch up before y'all start talking about important plot stuff

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Aw I'm flattered you guys think that. I'll have to keep practising to live up to your expectations x_x Haven't used Peach except for a couple friendlies since a month ago though so time to get practising :o.

Tarrlok is my favourite character so far followed by Amon (his voice!). Korra's gonna find a way to restore everybody's lost bending including Tarrlok!

[COLLAPSE="Spoilers"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Kev, you and me have the exact same problem, but opposite reasons. You seem to think you're bad, and then do bad, and then feel bad for doing bad... when instead if you had more confidence, you could do much better (I think you should be able to beat KantWin if you have the right mindset :troll:). Me, I feel bad for beating people lol.

Currently in the process of making a response to Arcansi's post... may have to postpone posting it, since I have to leave for supper soon, and it looks like it will be a long post, and I'm nowhere near done...

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
You don't understand. I can't know if it's something that could or could not be taken offensively by you guys, because I don't think like you guys.
Just so you know how to handle any posts made by me. I do not like anything negative to be said about me or my actions even if its in a constructive manner.

Ex. You're Dumb and here is a way that you can stop being dumb.

I don't care if you are trying to help me. Please don't say anything negative towards me.
Obviously you haven't done so yet, Just trying to let you know how you should react in situations that involve me.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Ok, ok.

But what about stuff like "Yes, I understand that you do not like what I am doing, but I do not value you over me, and as such I shall not stop."

Or something similar. It's quite obvious from a logical standpoint that no harm is meant here, and none of these things are said to hurt anyone.

And yet, people can and will take offense to it.

For the most part, this is fine. It's simply telling someone that even though they don't like what you are doing, and that you are aware of that, you aren't going to stop. The only thing I would question as far as 'offensive' would be the "I do not value you over me". It's essentially you saying "I'm more important that you" or something like that, which causes two problems:

1. If you make it sound like you think you are better than others in that way, nobody will like your comments, and may go to the extreme of not liking you. Look at "The Great and Powerful Trixie". She basically says that she is better than everyone. Although your example is at a much smaller scale, it still gives that impression that you think that you are better than someone else.

2. It makes the person you are talking to feel like they are being told they are inferior. Nobody likes being told that. (Difference between this and #1 is #1 is you saying you're better, #2 is you saying they are worse/bad/inferior. They have the same idea, but both have different effects).

If you were to say instead "but I disagree with your reasoning for wanting me to stop", or "but I think my reasons for continuing are valid", or something like that, then you are literally giving the exact same message, but without putting someone else down.

My point here is to some people, this won't be offensive, but to others, they will take offense to that just because of that one bit I talked about. If you are reading your post and ever think "someone may find this offensive, but hopefully they get the point", find the part that may be taken offensively, and try to change it in such a way that it is not offensive. Don't take the risk of it being offensive, or you take the risk of people reacting to it negatively, which turns into people not liking your posts and you getting more responses similar to the ones you've gotten.

You don't understand. I can't know if it's something that could or could not be taken offensively by you guys, because I don't think like you guys.

Nobody thinks alike. In my own way, I think COMPLETELY different from everyone. I even had a similar problem to you as far as communicating with people. The difference is, I have adapted so that instead of turning people away or saying questionable things, I now say things that make people feel good and make them like the way I post/talk/etc.

I basically just rate everything on a scale of 1-10 how many people would probably agree with someone if they were to take offense to this. If it scores higher then a 5, I put no offence after it, or don't type it because it has needless words in it.

I have no idea if this scale is good or correct, and no way to test it.

A comparison to this (not really what I do, but you get the idea):

"I rate everything I say on a scale of 0 to 10 of the chance this might be taken offensively, 0 being not offensive, 10 being very offensive. If it is anything 1 or above, I do not post it." In other words, if there is even a slight chance it's taken offensively, I don't post it. I will either try to change the wording so that it is guaranteed not to be taken offensively, or I scrap the post entirely.

Here is a decent analogy that actually happens in real life quite often. Lets say someone is doing an interview with someone. They are very popular to begin with, and everyone loves them and are very hype for the interview. Everything goes well all interview until near the end. For some reason, they accidentally make a slight racial remark. It was subtle, and lasted for less than a second, but it's there, and everyone heard it. They have instantly offended everyone watching, and everyone who heard about the incident, and are now hated by literally everyone. Several careers have ended because of this (actors, politicians, etc.).

edit mid-post: I'm watching the hockey game as I'm posting this. LA is wearing black jerseys, while New Jersey is wearing white. One of the commentators said when Penner from LA (black jerseys) got a penalty: "this seems to be a bad game for the blacks. And I don't mean LA...". There was silence in the commentary for a few seconds afterwards, as I think they both realized what he had just said, and that it could be taken racially. I myself made a "wtf?" response to it when I heard it.

I know you don't make racial remarks or anything like that, but the main idea transfers over to here. If you say something offensive, people will pick it up. Even if it is just 4 words long, people will see it, people will take offense to that, and that perfect 9001 word post you made was virtually thrown in the trash because of those 4 words you included. Instead, it would have taken less than a minute to re-word that area so that it was no longer offensive (look at the start of the post, where I re-word your hypothetical post so that it isn't offensive).

My entire point here is if it could be taken offensively, don't post it as it is. Either re-word it, take that section out, or don't post it entirely. It's better to say nothing and lose a good post than it is to say something offensive and have everyone hate you.

I'm sure you get the idea.

I also can't choose different words because I don't know how you guys think beyond basics, and as such have no idea if you'll take offense or not.

If I am free one time (i.e. I have msn open, and say I'm available if you message me), if you want, you could always send me a post you are about to make. I can read over it, and show you potential "offensive" areas, and help you re-word it so that it makes sense. Maybe if I show you a few re-word examples in your own posts, you'll get the idea and start doing it yourself. Take it from me, the way you word your messages completely changes how it gets interpreted (which is part of the reason I was voted to be mod of the 64 boards a few years back). I won't be able to do this all the time, but for a few of them, if I'm available, I'll read over a post with you and help you make it not as offensive. Maybe that will help?

Though make sure if you want to do this, you send me the post before you post it. Otherwise, it defeats the entire purpose...

Also, what is the nice way to say... (just putting the statements down quickly, so it may sound more harsh then I would actually say it, fyi.)

'I'm sorry, but I'm not going to listen to what you want here.'

Depends on the context... like completely depends on the context. I can think of situations where this would be fine, and other situations that this would just seem like an unnecessary response.

'You keep making the same mistake over and over. Please stop, so that I don't have to ignore you.'

This is almost completely fine. The first sentence tells them that they are repeating the same mistake, which I assume they would know which mistake you are referring to. The second sentence, especially the last part, may not be taken well. Something like "please stop, because it is really getting annoying" would be better. I would myself recommend instead suggesting ways for them to fix that mistake or something. If they repeat that mistake constantly, and even if people tell them to stop and they still don't, then mentioning the possibility that you would ignore them would be a legitimate step, but only if it seems like the only way to convince someone to stop whatever they are doing wrong. Otherwise, I would try to change the wording so that it is not offensive at all.

'Hey, you don't seem to be acting like you have the ability to logically think and act, and you would probably be a lot less stressed if you did.'

No. This is a terrible way to say it. You are telling someone that they are dumb. "You don't have the ability to logically think and act" is simply telling someone they are dumb simply using more words and more complex vocabulary. If you ever had this in a post, I would recommend removing it from the post entirely. There is no way to re-word "you are dumb" in a way that would be acceptable. So... yeah. If you ever plan on making this post, remove it entirely, and don't include it or an alternative in at all.
My responses are in blue (and the one red mid-post edit).

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Just so you know how to handle any posts made by me. I do not like anything negative to be said about me or my actions even if its in a constructive manner.

Ex. You're Dumb and here is a way that you can stop being dumb.

I don't care if you are trying to help me. Please don't say anything negative towards me.
Obviously you haven't done so yet, Just trying to let you know how you should react in situations that involve me.
Ok, will do.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
My responses are in blue (and the one red mid-post edit).
I'd prefer you don't do this, but w/e. Here goes.

For the most part, this is fine. It's simply telling someone that even though they don't like what you are doing, and that you are aware of that, you aren't going to stop. The only thing I would question as far as 'offensive' would be the "I do not value you over me". It's essentially you saying "I'm more important that you" or something like that, which causes two problems:

1. If you make it sound like you think you are better than others in that way, nobody will like your comments, and may go to the extreme of not liking you. Look at "The Great and Powerful Trixie". She basically says that she is better than everyone. Although your example is at a much smaller scale, it still gives that impression that you think that you are better than someone else.

2. It makes the person you are talking to feel like they are being told they are inferior. Nobody likes being told that.

If you were to say instead "but I disagree with your reasoning for wanting me to stop", or "but I think my reasons for continuing are valid", or something like that, then you are literally giving the exact same message, but without putting someone else down.

My point here is to some people, this won't be offensive, but to others, they will take offense to that just because of that one bit I talked about. If you are reading your post and ever think "someone may find this offensive, but hopefully they get the point", find the part that may be taken offensively, and try to change it in such a way that it is not offensive. Don't take the risk of it being offensive, or you take the risk of people reacting to it negatively, which turns into people not liking your posts and you getting more responses similar to the ones you've gotten.
I was cutting it down but w/e.

You've partly missed the point again. (I CANNOT, 75+% of the time, think of a way that isn't offensive without changing the message. I don't think like you, so I can't test my sentences vs your thinking.)

Other then that, I'll take this into account, thanks.

Nobody thinks alike. In my own way, I think COMPLETELY different from everyone. I even had a similar problem to you as far as communicating with people. The difference is, I have adapted so that instead of turning people away or saying questionable things, I now say things that make people feel good and make them like the way I post/talk/etc.
You are comparing red to dark red when you compare your thinking with someone else's.

Mine - somone else's is comparing red to green.

The rest of the post is pretty legitimate, no real need to respond to anything, really.

Note that I can't take your full advice, because you advocate changing such things in a way that would cause meaning to be lost.

No. This is a terrible way to say it. You are telling someone that they are dumb. "You don't have the ability to logically think and act" is simply telling someone they are dumb simply using more words and more complex vocabulary. If you ever had this in a post, I would recommend removing it from the post entirely. There is no way to re-word "you are dumb" in a way that would be acceptable. So... yeah. If you ever plan on making this post, remove it entirely, and don't include it or an alternative in at all.
And here I can never listen too. If I need to tell someone constructively they are dumb, I will probably do it.

I don't understand why someone would not be able to take this, assuming it is done constructively and not just to say it. (Ofc, that sentence isn't. But the post following//preluding it would be.)

Captain L

Smash Champion
that post was long and blue rob :O

also guys I'm thinking we should consider that ruleset dawson posted, but full MK legal. Would people prefer that, or just another run with Apex? Or something else? I think whatever we do should have mk legal though, but I'm willing to change that if a lot of people want him gone.

Shoutouts to MK for totally overcentralizing last tourney

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I met a BC smasher through a Brawl clan.
Same.

Also Landon, what school did you just graduate from? nvm, I just saw some random pictures of you getting hypnotized and thought you might have went to the same school as my sister .-.

Also, Also I can probably have a smashfest at my house next week. What day works best?

Captain L

Smash Champion
I graduated from Thomas Haney. Also I was faking it for the first part of the hypnotist show and then I was just like "this is clearly not working" so I peaced it back to the audience. Then I was annoyed for the rest of the show.

Top Bottom