• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Tournament Strategy and Tips

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I actually disagree with never using certain moves. (besides up-B and d-tilt)

I've been using u-tilt more and more, even if it's still only like... once per 3 stocks. Uair-utilt-uair is my new favorite thing to do whenever a 0-10% opponent does something really punishable. And of course, u-tilt is the ultimate emergency killing move. Rest KO level +50% = automatic death by u-tilt.

Jab is a very limited use, but still a use. I use it maybe once in every 2 or 3 games. There's a couple VERY specific situations where jab is the right move to use. The first is when someone has surprised you with a roll to the edge... You were probably ledgehopping a bair onto the stage or something to pressure them, except they roll around you and plan on punishing you. You don't have time to grab, but you don't want to shield or roll away. (Especially against opponents with good grabs.) In this exact situation, I will jab them so that they fall off the stage to the ledge and I can escape.

Once in a blue moon I will jab-cancel a grab. It's not very good, but unexpected enough to work once.

I will throw out an f-tilt maybe once every 20 games. It's like, what you do instead of a standing grab when they are above 150% and in front of you.

I will spam Rollout as a means of recovery and to punish random jumping until they prove that it isn't going to work.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
I actually disagree with never using certain moves. (besides up-B and d-tilt)
so in other words, you DO agree with never using certain moves, our opinion of which moves to not use differs.

I've been using u-tilt more and more, even if it's still only like... once per 3 stocks. Uair-utilt-uair is my new favorite thing to do whenever a 0-10% opponent does something really punishable. And of course, u-tilt is the ultimate emergency killing move. Rest KO level +50% = automatic death by u-tilt.
utilt is extremely hard to hit and extremely punishable. it comes out too slow to be effective. waiting for someone to run into your utilt is less reliable than just doing fair, or grab/throw for more damage to fair/dashattack.

Jab is a very limited use, but still a use. I use it maybe once in every 2 or 3 games. There's a couple VERY specific situations where jab is the right move to use. The first is when someone has surprised you with a roll to the edge... You were probably ledgehopping a bair onto the stage or something to pressure them, except they roll around you and plan on punishing you. You don't have time to grab, but you don't want to shield or roll away. (Especially against opponents with good grabs.) In this exact situation, I will jab them so that they fall off the stage to the ledge and I can escape.
jab isnt a great move but not utterly useless. it is punishable but only against people who react quick enough to, or people who just spam fast smashes (metaknight dsmash is a good example).
Once in a blue moon I will jab-cancel a grab. It's not very good, but unexpected enough to work once.
true, not very good but will put pressure on the opponent to force an attack or get grabbed. use sparingly.

I will throw out an f-tilt maybe once every 20 games. It's like, what you do instead of a standing grab when they are above 150% and in front of you.
ooooor you can just dash attack, faster and better in every situation.

I will spam Rollout as a means of recovery and to punish random jumping until they prove that it isn't going to work.
sneaky rollout tricks work much better on some people than most. charging rollout up high and releasing early can catch jumpers off guard. different players develop different ways of punishing rollout so just be mindful and learn to counter your opponents strats.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm not saying Jiggs tilts are good for general combat; I'll only pull them out only in those specific cases. (Except u-tilt as a punisher starter at 0%.) Let's say at 0% they roll or do some laggy smash/aerial or something else stupid. What is better than uair-utilt-uair or utilt-utilt-uair? It's easily the most damaging thing you can do, comes out quick, and highly unlikely for anyone to be able to punish.

Otherwise utilt and ftilt are only good for high-% KOs, which you want to avoid but sometimes happen. (You've had those times where people start playing incredibly shield-happy, where it's almost impossible to fair or dash attack them but they will let you grab them and dair them as much as you want? So they easily have 140-160%?) If you get the chance to get a tilt in, why wouldn't you? Tilts can often hit people out of situations that smashes can't. (Situations where you would normally grab, but throws can't generally KO.)

And dash attack comes out faster and hits harder... but has more ending lag and displaces you. If people spotdodge my u-tilt, I generally just do another one and hit them. Otherwise yeah, dash attack is a million times better than tilts. It's a great move that should be used almost every stock at least once, while these tilts are situational at best.

And releasing Rollout high to catch people out of jumps is the truth. Even if they don't jump into it, it puts you in a better position, especially if you needed jumps back and you touch a platform on your way across.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
I love the discussion!!!!

I'm not saying Jiggs tilts are good for general combat; I'll only pull them out only in those specific cases. (Except u-tilt as a punisher starter at 0%.) Let's say at 0% they roll or do some laggy smash/aerial or something else stupid. What is better than uair-utilt-uair or utilt-utilt-uair? It's easily the most damaging thing you can do, comes out quick, and highly unlikely for anyone to be able to punish.
Those moves don't combo, even at low %. it works sometimes, so i can see where you would find it effective, but all they have to do is hold R/L and shield/air dodge out of this combo. I personally prefer uair into grab, punch, throw at 0-10%. this does damage and throws them away, eliminating any risk of taking damage.

Otherwise utilt and ftilt are only good for high-% KOs, which you want to avoid but sometimes happen. (You've had those times where people start playing incredibly shield-happy, where it's almost impossible to fair or dash attack them but they will let you grab them and dair them as much as you want? So they easily have 140-160%?) If you get the chance to get a tilt in, why wouldn't you? Tilts can often hit people out of situations that smashes can't. (Situations where you would normally grab, but throws can't generally KO.)
there is no instance where ftilt is a better move to use than fair/dash attack. it comes out slower than both so why ever use it?

And dash attack comes out faster and hits harder... but has more ending lag and displaces you. If people spotdodge my u-tilt, I generally just do another one and hit them. Otherwise yeah, dash attack is a million times better than tilts. It's a great move that should be used almost every stock at least once, while these tilts are situational at best.
dash attack is more beneficial and less punishable than any of her tilts. utilt to utilt is not a combo. ftilt has like a 6 inch range, where dash attack goes about 3 feet. utilt comes out really slow where dash attack comes out almost instantly. so basically, the only time to use utilt and ftilt is when your opponent is really slow and 6 inches in front of you.

And releasing Rollout high to catch people out of jumps is the truth. Even if they don't jump into it, it puts you in a better position, especially if you needed jumps back and you touch a platform on your way across.
yea rollout is good. when you get knocked off screen, and you start a rollout, you can release high across the stage, release onto the stage, or release into the ledge. it gives her options and forces your opponent to make a choice where to punish (they must also be accurate as not to get hit by a full charge rollout while trying to punish.)

Framerate

Smash Lord
U-tilt is a kill move, so I'm gonna use it. Jigglypuff has so few, and I'm very good at making them all stale so I'll take every kill move she has. I find I usually get one u-tilt kill a set. Maybe every other set. DACUS is just way better, and more fun!

But f-tilt.... ugh. There's just no point. If they're at kill %, use running attack or f-air. If they aren't, just grab. Yuck f-tilt. Heck, I'd rather jab and hope it might link to something. F-tilt is just bad. I forgot she even had that move.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I love the discussion!!!!
Seriously, we need more of this.

Those moves don't combo, even at low %. it works sometimes, so i can see where you would find it effective, but all they have to do is hold R/L and shield/air dodge out of this combo. I personally prefer uair into grab, punch, throw at 0-10%. this does damage and throws them away, eliminating any risk of taking damage.
Are you sure they don't combo? I've *never* had anyone get out of it at 0%. It's not that different from most other utilts that can chain more than one hit at low percents.

I also like doing it on stages with platforms (mainly battlefield) because if they move to the side they are often above a platform. And either way, it's a better ending position than a grab, since Jigglypuff is in the air and a little closer to them.

there is no instance where ftilt is a better move to use than fair/dash attack. it comes out slower than both so why ever use it?
Because it has such little ending lag and stales separately from dash attack. It's also only one frame slower than a frame-perfect dash attack. (if my numbers are right) I admit again that it is really, really rare that f-tilt ever has a place to be used. If they aren't above 150%, it is ALWAYS better to grab. Pummels and throws will clear the stale moves list better, do more damage, and put them in a better position.

dash attack is more beneficial and less punishable than any of her tilts. utilt to utilt is not a combo. ftilt has like a 6 inch range, where dash attack goes about 3 feet. utilt comes out really slow where dash attack comes out almost instantly. so basically, the only time to use utilt and ftilt is when your opponent is really slow and 6 inches in front of you.
Dash attack is definitely a far better move; it's much easier to hit with and kills a ton sooner. I would say that it is more punishable though... Not that it matters, they are all about the same, you are gonna get shield-grabbed out of any of them. I still think utilt-utilt works at 0%, though I always never get the chance to do this. (Usually uair-utilt) I mentioned above the rare case when f-tilt can have some point.

D-tilt on the other hand is totally worthless. I don't even use it against nado, like some say they do.

g-regulate;7481258yea rollout is good. when you get knocked off screen said:
Yeah, I feel safe using Rollout at the screen edge against most people. Some characters do obviously have extremely safe ways to punish her though, like Kirby, DDD, and Wario. Luckily none of these can kill or do a lot of damage.

FUN FACT: Let Kirby copy Rollout and then intentionally clash with Kirby's Rollout on the ground. (If you start charging it, the Kirby player will usually do it too to be funny!) Thing is, Kirby's Rollout bounces up on clash while Jigglypuff's doesn't, allowign Jigglypuff to do whatever she wants to Kirby as he slowly falls to the ground like an idiot. Rest is flashy, but charging another Rollout gives you bonus points for irony. I usually just u-smash though...

U-tilt is a kill move, so I'm gonna use it. Jigglypuff has so few, and I'm very good at making them all stale so I'll take every kill move she has. I find I usually get one u-tilt kill a set. Maybe every other set. DACUS is just way better, and more fun!
U-tilt and DACUS aren't really comparable. DACUS is more like an alternative to dash attack, that comes out slower while having some advantages. U-tilt is just an emergency KO move for when people like, roll behind you or something. You could turn DACUS into a staple of your game, but using u-tilt is always going to be a special case.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Yeah I know they're not comparable, I'm just kind of obsessed with the DACUS. Like, really obsessed.

PND

Smash Champion
Kirby's rollout also clashes with shields, so you can safely shield -> charged fsmash, or shield -> rollout, or shield -> fair, or shield -> to rest. . . or whatever you want, really.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Aw snaps yall, g-reg got me so pumped up I'm breaking out the frame data!

So I just played around with some frame-by frame stuff, and here's what I got.

For those that don't know, jab hits on 5, f-tilt hits on 7, u-tilt hits on 9, rest hits on 2, that sort of thing. I count frames "0" and "1" as the frames I'm entering the button command between, which I'm fairly sure is how everyone counts it.

Dash attack lasts 40 frames total, from the moment you press the button to the moment you are allowed to shield afterwards. F-tilt lasts 28 and u-tilt lasts 25. (Fixed below)

Jiggs jab-to-grab can be easily spotdodged by the opponent, but get this: it's so close that if you do it close to perfect, you grab will end about the same time their spot-dodge will. (I did this against a Snake, some have better dodges...) I was able to avoid any punishment from my grab attempt.

I never really considered SH fair a good ground tactic, it's too slow. From the ground it only hits on like, frame 14, and that's if you do it perfect out of your initial jump. Go full air or go home.

This topic is great.

Edit: More stuff.

So, I have not once been able to break a utilt-utilt from Jigglypuff at 0%, going frame by frame even with SDI on the hit. Against Snake and possibly other characters, utilt-usmash was guaranteed as well if he doesn't double jump. (Hit him during general landing lag, so he can't air dodge.)

utilt-to-uair is easy to get out of, but it requires an air dodge or jump--if you predict the air dodge and don't jump yourself, you have a guaranteed partially charged u-smash.

F-tilt actually lasts 27 frames (shield activate rumble on frame 28) and u-tilt is 23 frames. Most spotdodges last 25-frames. This means that you can have your f-tilt spot-dodged and still have time to powershield or dodge/roll almost any attack in the game. (Snake couldn't do anything to me.) This also means you gain a small frame advantage when your u-tilt is dodged... Dash attack, meanwhile, lasts 40-frames and is easily punished by anyone out of spot-dodge.

For anyone curious, I have Pound hitting on 13 and lasting for 53. Just throwing that out there. I also have grab hitting on 6, and dash-grab and pivot-grab hitting on 9...

Framerate

Smash Lord
GAH!

My friend left his LAN adapter thingy in my room for 2 weeks. I decided to give it back to him last Friday cause I wasn't using it.

G-reg, you got lucky this time...

Hence

Smash Ace
I've got a 1722 score with Jigglypuff on AiB. Last weekend I went from 27-33 to 36-34.

The one person I lost to was ESAM's pika.
Goodluck, I don't think any Jigglypuff main has made it to top 32 in any AiB ladder season. Even Woodman isn't that good... :psycho:

g-regulate

Smash Hero
update for everyone. my jiggs is nearly at god-like status. i can pretty much beat anyone except campy MK now. challenge me online!!

illinialex24

Smash Hero
update for everyone. my jiggs is nearly at god-like status. i can pretty much beat anyone except campy MK now. challenge me online!!
My Jigglypuff is almost at trash status. I have a tournament tomorrow and I've only played metatitan and Straked in the last month, so 2 days in 1 month.... I challenge you tonight :)

And woodman isn't very good.... Like pretty **** bad. Like pretty horrible.

TheStig

Smash Lord
g-reg, i want to play you sometime on wifi. i think that i've gotten a lot better with jiggly even though my record is bad on aib, but i've beaten some good people too.

i might be using j-money at COB

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Hopefully, my Jigglypuff will be able to do well when (more like if) I attend a tourney.

Miles.

Smash Champion
you greg how do you think Jigs does vs DDD. just your general thoughts. i use jigs to counter DDD one of my mains (pt) worst match ups. and so far it is working well. KOing ddd at 110-120 with rest is pretty early for the fat bird.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Mine is FramerateMadness.

Dunno when I'll be free to play next though. Maybe tomorrow (Thursday).

g-regulate

Smash Hero
its a good matchup considering ddd is high tier, much easier than snake/MK.

ddd is a huge target so it can be easy to perform pseudo combos, switching from aggressive aerials to patient baiting for grabs. patience is key!! aerials will chop off 5-10% at a time, while grab-punch-throw will get you a good 13-14% or so. chipping away is the smartest strat you can have, while watching out for projectiles (waddledee throw is really laggy), bair (out prioritizes most of jiggs' moves horizontally) and when you get to past 70%, watch for utilt (the jiggs raper). try to take notice when DDD is looking for that utilt, thats when you should be doing less stuff above DDD and more grabbing and spacing. i usually like to do SH uair (yes, SH uair will pop DDD up, just from the ground, and lets you double jump into other things.) this opens up a few options for DDD, either air dodge back on the ground, or falling bair/nair/dair, or try to jump and run away. when he air dodges back down, you can time another falling uair to pop him up again (great for teaching them not to air dodge), or just wait for the grab at the bottom. if you can sense they are going to land with bair/dair, they will almost certainly land with lag, so just be patient and grab-throw them back up in the air, and repeat (or rest!!!). if they try to jump and run away, try continuing the combo with more uairs/bairs/fairs, even some rising pounds, just to get a few hits off. basically, DDD always has good options, but they are limited compared to other chars, so be smart and react!

throwing DDD off the ledge is generally the best option, when possible. just hitting him a few times, even though he can make it back, will take his jumps and frustrate him. this can hopefully open up a rest opportunity if he upBs onto the stage. merely grabbing the ledge and air dodging into his landing animation from upB is an easy rest, if his percentage is high enough. if its not, just grab, punch, throw off again. also, look for stage spike opportunities if they go low for the edge. fair into the stage is no joke, and usually kills if the DDD doesnt tech.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Even after throwing DD off stage you have the move we call back air. Which hell to any charater.

TheStig

Smash Lord
last weekend i got 5/23 using all jiggly in low tier singles. people used only ness, lucas, and mario for the most part. i lost my first match because i did stupid stuff like run into ness's upb, and i got killed by the croc on japes. after that i ***** everyone for a while including 3 stocking lain's ganon and 2 stocking his mario :). i lost against a mario main in the end. his moves are very fast and can punish jiggly's aerials.

any tips against marios?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
last weekend i got 5/23 using all jiggly in low tier singles. people used only ness, lucas, and mario for the most part. i lost my first match because i did stupid stuff like run into ness's upb, and i got killed by the croc on japes. after that i ***** everyone for a while including 3 stocking lain's ganon and 2 stocking his mario :). i lost against a mario main in the end. his moves are very fast and can punish jiggly's aerials.

any tips against marios?
I actually have played a good Mario, in both singles and mainly doubles (1 friendly singles, 2 sets in doubles, called BOX7), and even though it was a while back, I remember the keys:

Space well in the air, be careful if his back is facing you, make sure to float careful and keep your back more so to him, use nair well and watch out for his D-smash while landing.

Abuse him offstage, abuse him. Just get the extra hit if you can't get the kill, there's little he can do to punish you.

Uair works here if your careful, but don't underestimate his dair too much. By doing so I mis-spaced and its how we went 0-2 in the first doubles match we played (doesn't help we got JV 5ed on Japes because my partner suicided three time in 30 seconds and I got claptrapped from a D-throw by Kirby :()

Pick good stages and work well, be careful with pound, you don't wanna have its ending lag, shield grab when you can, but don't try to force it.

TheStig

Smash Lord
I actually have played a good Mario, in both singles and mainly doubles (1 friendly singles, 2 sets in doubles, called BOX7), and even though it was a while back, I remember the keys:

Space well in the air, be careful if his back is facing you, make sure to float careful and keep your back more so to him, use nair well and watch out for his D-smash while landing.

Abuse him offstage, abuse him. Just get the extra hit if you can't get the kill, there's little he can do to punish you.

Uair works here if your careful, but don't underestimate his dair too much. By doing so I mis-spaced and its how we went 0-2 in the first doubles match we played (doesn't help we got JV 5ed on Japes because my partner suicided three time in 30 seconds and I got claptrapped from a D-throw by Kirby :()

Pick good stages and work well, be careful with pound, you don't wanna have its ending lag, shield grab when you can, but don't try to force it.
yeah i played that BOX7 guy. he's the only one that beat me bad. atleast he got ***** by ally's captain falcon.:)

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Illinialex, have you been going to COB lately? Haven't seen you there in months. If I entered that low tier tournament, I'd have gone Ness/Jiggs all the way. Quik has a pretty good Jiggs as well, I think he got far with her.

Lately I admit I've been using Jiggs a lot less. I know I suck. This thread often reminds me to start using Jiggs again and to stop betraying her.

G-reg, make a thread like this for the Ness boards, yeah? I could definitely use it. :)

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Hey g-reg, you better win Genesis even if you are not going. Anyways what is your take on the Diddy matchup. I have seen many different opinions on it.

Top Bottom