• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Tournament Strategy and Tips

Metatitan

Smash Master
im pretty sure aside from d3, those are all bad matchups for her (mk is eh, but if u face someone like m2k u stand no chance)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
im pretty sure aside from d3, those are all bad matchups for her (mk is eh, but if u face someone like m2k u stand no chance)
That's why he said "MY" bad matchups... Idk about the rest but Wario doesn't have that bad of a matchup against either MK or D3.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Or you could be cool like me, and counterpick characters like Ness, PT, and Ganondorf.

It's like when I was born, a witch placed a curse on me to play the tier list backwards. MK is my worst character, except maybe Diddy...

Miles.

Smash Champion
Or you could be cool like me, and counterpick characters like Ness, PT, and Ganondorf.

It's like when I was born, a witch placed a curse on me to play the tier list backwards. MK is my worst character, except maybe Diddy...
Nice.
I love pt and jiggs just got 2nd at a tourney this weekend going all jigz and pt and then cped fox about 3 times.

Low tier counterpicks throw people off big time.

TheStig

Smash Lord
i used to think that wario had the advantage because his aerials are faster. g&w can use his neutral air to stop wario's dair. also g&w's upsmash kills wario at low percents. this matchup is even and i don't know why this is being discussed in the jiggly tourny tips thread.

urfat

Smash Cadet
this is a great thread, but now I know that my jiggz needs alot of work! thanks so much!!!!!!

Cia

das kwl
i used to think that wario had the advantage because his aerials are faster. g&w can use his neutral air to stop wario's dair. also g&w's upsmash kills wario at low percents. this matchup is even and i don't know why this is being discussed in the jiggly tourny tips thread.
!! i was planning to use that EXACT image as an avatar at somepoint.

i guess i'll just use the peach now

:laugh:

Framerate

Smash Lord
Ok this is gonna sound absolutely mad, but I actually love the G&W match-up. I've played quite a bit against some of the local G&W's, in fact I was in a pool with Lou and NoJ at the last Midwest circuit event. Every match against then came down to last stock, and when I ended up playing Lou in the OUGA v Springfield crew fight I kinda wrecked him. The match was recorded but just like every other "good" match of my jigglypuff, the video was miraculously lost....

Anyways, I really don't see the problem with the match-up. Just don't get hit. It seems that most G&W players just throw out attacks and expect you to run into them. Battle plan: tech the d-throw, don't run into the smashes. That's it. If you simply just play a bit more defensive and always run when he charges a smash, his only kill moves become fair, up-b and a lucky judgment. Running attack might kill but I'm pretty sure it kinda blows.

Gah I wish I had some videos... Maybe this weekend it will finally happen. I swear this time!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
All G&W needs to fight Jiggs is bair, nair, fair, and dair. Maybe add d-tilt just to shut down dash approaches, but that's it. He can create too large of a disjointed attack in sufficient time for Jigglypuff to do anything in the air. Against bad G&Ws half my damage-building is baiting dairs to shieldgrab, since there is nothing else reliable. (And obviously that isn't going to work agiasnt good ones that control the dair better...)

Framerate

Smash Lord
See, I haven't had many issues with the bair and nair. And I've played G&W's that spam those exclusively. I usually just avoid the attack, and hit him afterwords. I just don't see how they can hit you with a move you're expecting them to use. Unless you run into it of course. And trust me, I'm a pro at running into moves I see coming. But I quickly got over that in the G&W match-up. If he's coming towards you, he's gonna use the bair. If you're coming towards him, he's gonna use the bair. Just expect it, jump over it and hit him from the front. or keep dodging and let it go to time. Patience is key. Also letting them screw up the dair helps too.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Punish G&W bair... afterwords? Are we talking about the same character/move here? It's one of the absolute safest moves in the game.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Jigglypuff can't QCDI out of G&W's bair well? Since it's a multihit move, and jigglypuff is pretty light.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's not a question of getting stuck in the bair or it doing too much damage/knockback, it's the fact that G&W can bair all day and there is nothing you can do about it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Theoretically, I guess that is probably true. Would there be anything jigglypuff can do if she has the % lead? Air camping/planking?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
There's nothing theoretical about it. Not everyone can say, Ike fair the turtle. Many character have no good options against it at all.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Well then, I dunno what I've been doing to get past the "impenetrable" bair, but it's working. I guess I'll just look back at these here videos we recorded of my matches vs G&W and.... oh crap they lost the videos. Again. I promise you, if the video shows up I'll post it and you can pick it to pieces. I'll be honest, I only play G&W's at tourneys, which I go to about once every other month. All I'm saying is I've played against some of the Midwest's better G&W's and I did surprisingly well. God I wish I could get some videos recorded...

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
idiots <<.....FIRST JUMP: DO A BACKFLIP
SECOND JUMP: AIRDODGE AND CHANGE DIRECTIONS THEN FAIR

u will dodge the bair and will out prioritize any retaliation and force the gay and watch player to play defensive

Metatitan

Smash Master
idiots <<.....FIRST JUMP: DO A BACKFLIP
SECOND JUMP: AIRDODGE AND CHANGE DIRECTIONS THEN FAIR

u will dodge the bair and will out prioritize any retaliation and force the gay and watch player to play defensive
uhm u do realize his turtle eats your airdodge right? dont sound like a douchebag this is a friendly thread.

PND

Smash Champion
WTF is a backflip, anyway? I jump around with Jiggs all the god**** time, and the closest thing to a backflip she can do is a SH B reversed rollout. Jiggs doesn't back flip.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Oh, that's why I've had so much trouble with G&W, I haven't been doing backflips...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I can only assume you backflip by holding Z and jumping. Can you do this out of a dash or pivot? What about a footstool? Buffered backflip nair out of powershield FTW?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I mean, Jigglypuff certainly wants to maximizie the damage she does once she gets in... Rushing them forces airdodges or counter-attacks that each in turn lead to more pain as long as you can read them.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Maybe you guys misunderstood Woodman and I. Back-flipping isn't a special input on a simple controller. It's a complete one-ness with The Puff. You must love The Puff, you must breathe The Puff, you must be The Puff. Only after you have given up everything for The Puff can you begin to back-flip. And back-flipping is the key to success.

PND

Smash Champion
Backflipping makes Jiggs top tier. Somewhere between MK and Wario. It's pretty much the new L-Canceling. Why didn't I know about this earlier?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If you b-recoil a rising pound out of a dash-canceled true-pivot backflip, it disjoints pound's hitbox to be about half of Jigglypuff's size in front of her. It's ridiculous and goes through everything.

But seriously, good luck resting G&W.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Ok. Alright. Let me just say that you guys are doing something wrong. Because I wreck G&W's.

Midwest circuit last night. I played NoJ in doubles and kinda did really friggin well against him. Then I 3 stocked a G&W in pools. I even grabbed him during the bair. Like, in the middle of it. The match is saved so hopefully it will get uploaded. I didn't make it out of pools but I do have some good matches recorded of me vs Samurai Panda and and Steele Samurai. I fought many samurai that day.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Ok. Alright. Let me just say that you guys are doing something wrong. Because I wreck G&W's.

Midwest circuit last night. I played NoJ in doubles and kinda did really friggin well against him. Then I 3 stocked a G&W in pools. I even grabbed him during the bair. Like, in the middle of it. The match is saved so hopefully it will get uploaded. I didn't make it out of pools but I do have some good matches recorded of me vs Samurai Panda and and Steele Samurai. I fought many samurai that day.
uhm im sry you're dumb <3. doubles doesnt mean ****, jiggs is fantastic in doubles. the gw u 3 stocked is obviously horrendous. plz fight a good gw 1 on 1 <3

g-regulate

Smash Hero
So people are catching on to my brinstar/jiggs counterpicking and it doesnt work as well anymore.

the trick to beating it is
A: Air camping the top platform while having a lead
B: Being metaknight.

Cia

das kwl
^ try camping below the base of the stage and poking at you're opponent with Uair (i call it 'sharking' lol) of course you're opponent will get wise to this and start using the other three platforms more, but it's about limiting your opponent's options. once they think the ground isn't safe anymore, they'll be in the air a lot more often. (which is GOOD!) also, i ALWAYS break the center with Dair. it forces your opponent into the air even more. and the mold will help refresh your Fairs.

i think Metaknight, Snake, and GaW will be the most difficult opponents here. maybe ROB too. also, when someone bans brinstar, go with Delfino. i prefer it sometimes anyway and jigglypuff can shark there :D

----

on a different note, how does puff generally do against wario? i'm not to go at the match up and i only won this because of lolz @ the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JoJHzt-RTU

(also, it's obvious that made absolutely no attempt to play defensively. so.. maybe that's the problem.. lol)

Framerate

Smash Lord
Lol Meta do you even know who NoJ is?

He got 5th at the last Midwest Circuit event and is consider the best Midwest G&W, and best overall G&W by some. I mean, I didn't beat him, but at C4 our matches went to last life kill % both times I think. And I agree the other G&W wasn't that great, but he was well aware that it was my worst match up. He beat me with Fox game 1, I took him to brinstar game 2 and won, then he took me to Battlefield and spammed bair and nair. Honestly I was relieved when he switched to G&W, Fox is a much worse match up imo. I mean, it's not my fault if you guys can't beat G&W, no reason to be mean to me if I disagree. I'm just telling you that I don't think it's as hard as you think. You guys make it sound like it takes no skill to beat puff with G&W. I'm providing a counter argument. I lose to more under-skilled snakes than G&W.

Anyways I'll get to posting my matches here when I find them. They're meh. I lose to Samurai Panda's Snake and Steele Samurai's Marth. Marth is annoying btw.

Framerate

Smash Lord
I know, right?

Brinstar has been doing me well until people started banning it...

I've been counter-picked to Yoshi's Pipes twice, first time I 2 stocked the person and second time I 3 stocked. I'm considering that as a new Counter pick. So if you guys have it in your stage lists, try it out. I can't explain why it worked for me, but it did. Pro tip: if you hit people into the slope on the right, 90% of the time they roll away from the walk off :D

Cia

das kwl
I'm just telling you that I don't think it's as hard as you think. You guys make it sound like it takes no skill to beat puff with G&W. I'm providing a counter argument. I lose to more under-skilled snakes than G&W.
i can understand this. usually when a character has a really bad match up, the disadvantage character main gets so good at it that it hardly seems like a bad match up. but i personally believe that an under-skilled GaW would win before an underskilled snake.

they just give GaW too many un-deserved advantages. many of his moves have the most unbalanced risk:reward ratio. Like his Nair, Bair, His Uair with that stupid wind property, his dair with the falling property, and second hit at landing!? it's really dumb. and that Up+B of his ranks right up there with Metaknight's moves.

at least with snake, one Bthrow of the ledge and he's taking serious damage (if you don't kill him) but like i said earlier. conversations like 'which match up is worse' is completely subjective. there are too many variables such as play styles, stage, skill level, etc. to accurately measure that.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Lol Meta do you even know who NoJ is?

He got 5th at the last Midwest Circuit event and is consider the best Midwest G&W, and best overall G&W by some. I mean, I didn't beat him, but at C4 our matches went to last life kill % both times I think. And I agree the other G&W wasn't that great, but he was well aware that it was my worst match up. He beat me with Fox game 1, I took him to brinstar game 2 and won, then he took me to Battlefield and spammed bair and nair. Honestly I was relieved when he switched to G&W, Fox is a much worse match up imo. I mean, it's not my fault if you guys can't beat G&W, no reason to be mean to me if I disagree. I'm just telling you that I don't think it's as hard as you think. You guys make it sound like it takes no skill to beat puff with G&W. I'm providing a counter argument. I lose to more under-skilled snakes than G&W.

Anyways I'll get to posting my matches here when I find them. They're meh. I lose to Samurai Panda's Snake and Steele Samurai's Marth. Marth is annoying btw.
of course i know who noj is, but hes not the best gw, either leepuff or OBM is. u didnt play him in singles, u played him in doubles. matchup ratios mean almost nothing in doubles

g-regulate

Smash Hero
-things to remember for everyones jiggs game-

moves you should never use ever : ftilt/dtilt/utilt

moves you should use sparingly : upB/rollout

moves you should use when people have low-mid % : bair spam, Pound, fair, uair, dair, nair, grab punches/throws

moves you should use when people have high % : fair/dash attack/sliding usmash for KOs, grab/bair spam to mix it up

moves you should combo into grab : all aerials

recovery instructions : Jump (to max height), Pound (angled up), repeat for every jump.

air dodge constantly

bair and grab punch spam to recharge fair

auto-cancel aerials into dash attack. this ensures the least amount of time in between the hitboxes of both moves

use cstick down for dash attack, this prevents accidental fsmash (cstick down on initial frame or two of the dash will dsmash, so not too fast)

i think im gonna play a bit online sometime later tonight if anyone wants to play

Top Bottom