• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff General Discussion Thread (Q&A)

PND

Smash Champion
It means it ends the dodge as fast as possible, and buffers the shield as fast as possible.

I find this only really works on the defensive, ie. not anywhere near them. After you bair and drift to safety, for example. If you can bait them into coming after you, this into shield grab can work, although I usually prefer just reverse pivot grabbing to achieve the same end.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
I have a question. Why is Jiggs so incredibly low on the tier list? Blahblah, tier lists don't matter, but I still wanna know. Like...what are her glaring problems that place her among the ranks of Captain Falcon and Ganondorf?

I know she's light as hell, but, most Jiggs players can work around that. What's her problems beyond that?

And don't say that x, y, and z were all nerfed from Melee...that doesn't explain why she sucks in Brawl. Just that her moves are worse than they were in Melee.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Why is Jiggs so incredibly low on the tier list? Blahblah, tier lists don't matter, but I still wanna know. Like...what are her glaring problems that place her among the ranks of Captain Falcon and Ganondorf?

I know she's light as hell, but, most Jiggs players can work around that. What's her problems beyond that?

And don't say that x, y, and z were all nerfed from Melee...that doesn't explain why she sucks in Brawl. Just that her moves are worse than they were in Melee.
Well she's incredibly light as you said. This means really easy to knock out even by chars that have issues with knockout moves. Other then that her ground game really doesn't extend much past her grabs which are alright at best. If they out prioritize her in the air, she's all but doomed unless they make some tremendous mistakes. You ever try to play a good G&W with his air supremacy... It's like running into a brick wall. You just can't get around it. Another thing that influences the tier list is tourney results. She's really doesn't show in a lot of tourney's and if she does show, she doesn't rank. I like pulling her out as a surprise against a select few chars that are not seen often in the competitive scene like Bowser and Ike. But I could never main her with a chance to win. Her vs meta isn't as good as a lot of these boards like to believe and as I said b4 she doesn't do too good against a good amount of the top tiers. And her being so light means you have to make that many less mistakes in the end. Not to mention her lack of "good" kill moves. Nothing with the exception of rest that really stands out.

On another note I think she can make one of the best team partners. I really want to try to use her with a char with a great grab game like Olimar. Just have them hold for a split second while you sleep them. Then they can just jab you out of your rest. And you can better take advantage of WOP with all the random chars flying around the course.

Veril

Frame Savant
Other then that her ground game really doesn't extend much past her grabs which are alright at best. If they out prioritize her in the air, she's all but doomed unless they make some tremendous mistakes. You ever try to play a good G&W with his air supremacy... It's like running into a brick wall. You just can't get around it. Another thing that influences the tier list is tourney results. She's really doesn't show in a lot of tourney's and if she does show, she doesn't rank. I like pulling her out as a surprise against a select few chars that are not seen often in the competitive scene like Bowser and Ike. But I could never main her with a chance to win. Her vs meta isn't as good as a lot of these boards like to believe and as I said b4 she doesn't do too good against a good amount of the top tiers.
I loled. Edited to highlight BS.

Some of this is true... but seriously, you aren't a Jiggs main. Stop talking out of your a**.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
How come uncharged rollout doesn't hit people unless I turn it around? >=(

PND

Smash Champion
I've actually been testing that for a while but haven't come up with any conclusive results.

I'm in the midst of testing a new hypothesis related to frame data.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I loled. Edited to highlight BS.

Some of this is true... but seriously, you aren't a Jiggs main. Stop talking out of your a**.
She's my favorite secondary and seeing as I do play as her a lot I just pointed out the problems I have with some of the main chars I end up seeing at tourneys. I'm not talking out my ***, just those are the problems I face when I play her. I know I'm far from the best with her, but seeing as I don't have anyone better at her in my area to learn from. I'm just trying to get better through research on boards and such. the most BS I can say that I could possible agree with is her grab game. Even then it's still not amazing. Just good. The other two were that her vs Meta wasn't a good matchup, which I hold to. And the point about being out prioritized in the air leads to massive problems for her. Which is my biggest problem when I play her. I respect your opinion, seeing as you're well known on these boards and I've read quite a bit on here. So please tell me, what's the real options once they all but eliminate your air game?

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
but it's known that G&W is a doomed matchup, the fact that he completely ***** in the air isn't news. Nothing you said really strikes me as terrible.

And, Jiggs vs. MK really is not that bad at all.

Veril

Frame Savant
She's my favorite secondary and seeing as I do play as her a lot I just pointed out the problems I have with some of the main chars I end up seeing at tourneys. I'm not talking out my ***, just those are the problems I face when I play her. I know I'm far from the best with her, but seeing as I don't have anyone better at her in my area to learn from. I'm just trying to get better through research on boards and such. the most BS I can say that I could possible agree with is her grab game. Even then it's still not amazing. Just good. The other two were that her vs Meta wasn't a good matchup, which I hold to. And the point about being out prioritized in the air leads to massive problems for her. Which is my biggest problem when I play her. I respect your opinion, seeing as you're well known on these boards and I've read quite a bit on here. So please tell me, what's the real options once they all but eliminate your air game?
I'm sorry I was harsh before, it was uncalled for. Especially since I'm a visible member of the board. Please accept my apology. :urg:

Her grab game:

Jigglypuff has a very good grab game. Her pummel wracks up lots of damage as do her throws, and they let you unstale other moves. All of her aerials can lead into a grab, though n-air and d-air are most notable. Wavelanding, which is still a somewhat new development for Jiggs (though not a "new AT" in general), lets her segue from aerial combat into grab whoring very very well, making her effective grab range truly absurd. Try using nair and wavelanding into a sliding shield canceled grab, its nuts.

Her b-air sets up for edgeguards and is probably her most useful overall. F-air can lead to a DACUS (I have used this on good players). Up-air is useful in the matchups where up-air beats their d-air (Olimar and GW come to mind). She also has grab-release combos. Grab-release > rest on Wario, to f-air on MK, to DACUS on a bunch...

So her grab game has range, wracks up damage like whoa, good followups, and even some grab-release stuff.

Aerial Priority and MK:

I personally think the matchup is better than 60:40. It is still in MK's favor obviously... its MK. What we've got on him is aerial speed and maneuverability. So we can avoid his attacks better than he can ours. Pound has really high priority btw. It beats just about everything. And f-air can and will KO MK at decent % fresh. D-air can beat the shuttle loop, n-air can beat the tornado, it is possible to chain together up-airs and b-airs (again, I've done it). Wavelanding properly is huge here. SHAD wavelands into grab can get through a f-air wall.

Our grab game is superb here. Powershield the f-tilt / d-smash > grab is **** in a cake. Really, a large % of playing MK is landing those grabs. He doesn't have a projectile and our pivot grab has great range so we've got a lot of chances.

Being able to rest out of the tornado is amazing. And MK doesn't have such insane KO potential that you can't use a non-KO rest. Or you can SDI up and dair. You can get some surprise KOs that way. Drill rest KOs him at very low % so that helps here to.

To keep this not to long:

Aerial priority is countered by pound and superb maneuverability. This is true in other cases as well. Don't read that as: GW isn't omegarape. He is. F that guy.
The grab game has range, power, and leads into other moves.
We have an answer to all MK's b moves.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
All my experience says Jiggs/MK is an even matchup, and I giggle at anyone who says otherwise.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
How come uncharged rollout doesn't hit people unless I turn it around? >=(
You don't necessarily need to turn it around :p if you use it at somewhat point blank point range in the air it will hit them and maybe even ko, seriously it can xD. The only problem is that I would think it's hard to hit with in a match since you have to be so close.

PND

Smash Champion
Powershield into it, it's been dubbed the baby rollout. Or off stage, there are a couple uses to it.

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Best move to use when opponents shield breaks f-smash,rest,rolllout?

I realise not to use rest if they are not in killing percent which one for purely damage.

MrEh

Smash Hero
If they're within killing percents, just Rollout them.

If they're by the ledge at low percents, then go with what Veril said. ^^

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Should I sticky Veril's Jigglypuff Finder? It seems like it would be useful for new players looking for matches, and almost every other board has one stickied...

I didnt want to make any decisions without the board's suggestions first ^^

SR-71

Smash Apprentice
i hav a question for this prestigious Q&A thread
what is steak? it's just another name for sonic right

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we're gonna get a straight answer from him. In fact, he may not even know, I'm not even quite sure what it is.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the matchup thread, but whatever.

In the Dedede matchup thread, our discussion this week is Jigglypuff. Please feel free to contribute to the thread. Here is the link:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192600
Posting there would be preferable but posting here is ok too.

Thanks!

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Why dont I just remove this sticky and have the friend finider take its place?
I never really got why a Q&A thread is a necissary sticky since Veril has a "read before posting" thread that's already stickied.. And besides, even if this wasnt stickied I'd assume it'd probably still be active, just not a sticky..

What do you guys think?

Arcrandom

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5058-0892
yo I haven't been on in a while (like since december) whats new for jiggs or anyone else.

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Okay I think I might've found an interesting solution, Veril popped this idea into my head. Basically he suggested that I combined this thread and his link thread... Sounds like an interesting idea to me, any comments?? Disagreements?

Veril

Frame Savant
Okay I think I might've found an interesting solution, Veril popped this idea into my head. Basically he suggested that I combined this thread and his link thread... Sounds like an interesting idea to me, any comments?? Disagreements?
This is a logical way to reduce the number of stickies AND make it easier for new players to navigate the boards. These threads have complementary purposes and there is really no reason not to combine them.

SexTornado

Smash Journeyman
I've got an actual question. Are there any good ways you can recommend to mix up my jigglypuff playstyle and make it less predictable? My single greatest flaw is being way too predictable.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I've got an actual question. Are there any good ways you can recommend to mix up my jigglypuff playstyle and make it less predictable? My single greatest flaw is being way too predictable.
Just don't do the same thing over and over again. I mix up grab whoring with a predictable bair wall and nothing else for a while, before going to a rapid mixture of bairs, dairs, uairs and nairs.

Metatitan

Smash Master
bair really is ur main approach and it is predictable. mix in some shield grabs, out of shield nairs, out of shield dair, out of shield fairs and follow up with a uair after a bair now and again

SexTornado

Smash Journeyman
Thx for the tips, how long should I do bair wall for? I currently do it for like maybe 5 bairs in a row then do something else.

Top Bottom