• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff General Discussion Thread (Q&A)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I have several duplicates of all the buttons/triggers/trigger parts/sticks
Motherboards too

Pretty sure people in USA are in a similar situation though, should seek them out and meet up at majors
or buy online through them for cheaper postage

D

Deleted member 189823

Is AC'd D-Air very good? I only play Jiggaly casually, and I use a TON of Side B and U-Air mix-ups...and it feels like I'm playing him wrong, I feel like asking.
Also, I was looking for rather new Jiggaly matches, and I've seen two of Grim Tuesday's matches and it looked inspiring to pick up the character, I really like Jiggaly.

D

Deleted member 189823

Before I start (I have a tournament tomorrow), any advice?
D-Air all day?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Bair all day, dair is for specific situations because it's amazing when it actually connects with them or their shield but everything out-ranges it
just try and exercise patience
prioritize not getting hit, but upon landing hits experiment a lot with your placement and option choice so you get familiar with Puff's offensive follow-up options and movement
pound is integral, pay attention to when it works and when it doesn't
make sure to be attentive to any bad habits that start forming, very easy to fall into them with a new character esp. puff

idk I suck at general advice cause my view of the game is very "every player is very different and looks at the game differently" so I'd rather see you play before offering anything haha

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Grab all day, everyday.

Jiggs' air game is what makes her grab so good. You know, because you're Jiggs, so they expect you to be in the air and stuff.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Dair is a good move to pressure the opponent when they're on the ground. You can dair and it sets up other options, such as grab or just dair again. I like to dair and mix up to land on one side and grab to throw off the edge. If you can dair and follow their SDI and keep using dair they can slip, which you can follow up with a rest once they're around 80%.

I mostly space with bair though. It's a really good tool to use as a "get the f away from me" tactic or a "oh hey, I can try to combo, stale, and rack up damage" tool. You have to channel your inner hungrybox for this.

Pound on shield is also good since it takes almost half their shield. the Hit box on it lingers and if you can space it where it hits on the last frame, you can mostly get away with it or get away w/ minimal damage. It creates momentum because if the opponents shield is low, they would have to play safer which you can get a little aggressive.

I've also been using more rollout and have been getting good results...only if they try to shield or challenge it. When you rollout, as you aware, you can dictate the path where you're going, but also can choose when it'll hit the opponent. I've been working on timing the rollout when you switch the opposite direction at a certain point, it goes past them, but doesn't hit. It's good to do, especially if they sit in shield and it wears down because it's almost a guaranteed hit and almost a guaranteed kill on most characters if it hits around 90% I don't have much data on this to confirm, but I've been experimenting.

With all that I said, you have to make sure you mix your moves up. You can't be like MK and throw moves because you know they work. The Good lord of Smash didn't grace Jiggs with much priority. If you become readable, the opponent can start baiting you or can power shield. If your pound gets power shielded, it's a sad day. Jiggs character formula is half bait and half reads; you gotta learn both halves to be successful.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Dair is a good move to pressure the opponent when they're on the ground. You can dair and it sets up other options, such as grab or just dair again. I like to dair and mix up to land on one side and grab to throw off the edge. If you can dair and follow their SDI and keep using dair they can slip, which you can follow up with a rest once they're around 80%.

I mostly space with bair though. It's a really good tool to use as a "get the f away from me" tactic or a "oh hey, I can try to combo, stale, and rack up damage" tool. You have to channel your inner hungrybox for this.
agree

Pound on shield is also good since it takes almost half their shield. the Hit box on it lingers and if you can space it where it hits on the last frame, you can mostly get away with it or get away w/ minimal damage. It creates momentum because if the opponents shield is low, they would have to play safer which you can get a little aggressive.
disagree, I used to enjoy the trade of pound on shield (i.e. I take a bit of damage, but they lose a lot of shield) but now I find it is rarely worth the risk, as my opponents have gotten better at dealing with pound after they've shielded it

I've also been using more rollout and have been getting good results...only if they try to shield or challenge it. When you rollout, as you aware, you can dictate the path where you're going, but also can choose when it'll hit the opponent. I've been working on timing the rollout when you switch the opposite direction at a certain point, it goes past them, but doesn't hit. It's good to do, especially if they sit in shield and it wears down because it's almost a guaranteed hit and almost a guaranteed kill on most characters if it hits around 90% I don't have much data on this to confirm, but I've been experimenting.
I actually made a guide to Rollout's mechanics for personal use last year, and since then I've had a LOT of success with it. There are a lot of cute things you can do once you understand the timing; stopping just at the ledge so that you grab it instead of shooting off stage, slowing down in the air and then shooting in the opposite direction when you land, creating mix-ups by charging it diagonally above your opponent and close to them (you can release early and get behind them, release a little later and aim directly for them, or keep charging and land on the ground where you have even more options). Platforms also give you a lot of fun stuff to play with, and I really like it while recovering high to switch to the opposite side of the stage, it's a good way to throw your opponent off and waste some time.

So yeah, I definitely agree.

With all that I said, you have to make sure you mix your moves up. You can't be like MK and throw moves because you know they work. The Good lord of Smash didn't grace Jiggs with much priority. If you become readable, the opponent can start baiting you or can power shield. If your pound gets power shielded, it's a sad day. Jiggs character formula is half bait and half reads; you gotta learn both halves to be successful.
Yep, definitely agree. It's a sad day even when your aerials get power-shielded.

I feel really stupid for not mentioning grabs in my last post, lol

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Hate to double post but I also hate to edit so
somebody figure out for me please
why rollout will sometimes go over bananas
and other times it won't

I can't reliably replicate the banana dodge, but sometimes it happens

SoulPech

Smash Master
I think with what I said about when you go in the opposite direction there's a specific time when you can dodge projectiles as well as the opponent.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
What I know is that standing bananas make you trip if your feet connect with it, regardless of the situation.

For example with Falco, if you Dthrow Diddy under a BF platform and a banana is standing on that platform you will trip, because Falco's feet touch the banana during the Dthrow animation.

So maybe it's because sometimes Jiggs' feet don't touch the banana because she's upside down.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Oh hey guys.

Just a little reminder while you talk about elaborate stuff.

Sakurai never loved Puff.

Well, that's it i guess.

SoulPech

Smash Master
unfortunately it is worthless unless you can cancel it when you grab the ledge. Even then, it's not reliable to use in the situation because most people can just mash out of sing.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
It' very powerful in free for alls where nobody gives a **** about Jiggs.
But yeah in 1v1s it's useless unless :
1-you can ledge cancel it so you don't suffer the lag
2-you manage to hit your opponent with the last hitbox
3-you manage to hit when your opponent has 200%

Otherwise he can wake up before you finish singing.

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Mellow Jigglypuff mains! I am a lucario main and I was looking for a matchup discussion. I could not find one on your forums. If you do have one could you please link me? If not can I get some discussion about this matchup please? We do have a brief discussion on the lucario forums but it is not very in depth.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Jiggs pressure is weird vs. Lucario
she has to hang back a lot to cover his roll behind, can't go deep/rely on cross-ups like she can against other people

if she gets a stock lead and lucario is on low % she wins through time out super easily

if she grabs the ledge while he recovers with up-b it's a free rest, but the timing is tight unless you get off the ledge prematurely (which the lucario could read and go for the ledge)

her juggling game is complicated slightly by lucario's dair, got to learn how it works and work around it

I really like long down airs and neutral airs in this MU, go super deep

Top Bottom