• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inventing a character

hectohertz

Smash Ace
So I've often heard it thrown around that so and so 'invented' a certain character. Meaning that a certain player invented a playstyle with a character that became the 'norm' in the metagame.

The one I hear most often is Ken with Marth, that he was the first to play Marth the way people do today.

So I'd like to know, anyone who knows the ancient days of smash lore, who was the person or persons who really invented the playstyle for each character

Some other ones I've heard thrown around are Isai for CF, Bombsoldier for Falco, King for Puff. Someone tell me if those are right or if there's a player who tutored those greats.

Jonas

Smash Champion
All these Jigglypuns are unbairable.

EDIT: I think it's safe to say that Armada invented Peach and Bum invented DK. Both play/played their characters like no one had before.

Hadster

Smash Cadet
Chillindude829 definitely invented Fox.

Wes made dat Samus

ChuDat Ice - Climbers (obviously)

Germ - Link (not sure about this one)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Aniki made Link :)

Brown Mario made mario...
I think the green machine made luigi? Unless that was just the title of some 06 combo video.
Roy - Neo?
Ness - Mofo lol
Yoshi - def Vman
Pika - Yoshi
Sheik - KorenaDJ

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Ah I've never heard of anyone ever using Ness except for Mofo. I know Mofo is a lot newer so you're probably right.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
afaik

fox - chillin
falco- bombsoldier
marth - ken
sheik - captain jack
falcon - darkrain/isai?
ic - chudat
peach - mikael/sastopher?
samus - wes
ganon - eddie

yoshi - fumi

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think Tipman did a lot more to help the Ganon metagame move on... early on than Eddie. But I think I invented myself through out countless hours of training. =P

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
imo

Ness = Mofo
Samus = Wes
Marth = Ken
Luigi = Ka Master
Yoshi = Fumi
Ganon = Tipman
Link = The Germ
Peach = Shoto of Peach (Mike G = Ken) (Hein = Ryu) (KrazyJones = Akuma)
CF = Isai
Ice Climbers = Chudat
Doc = Bob$
Roy = Neo
GAW = DireVulcan

uh, that's all I can think of atm

Doc King

Smash Lord
Chu Dat=Ice Climbers
Ken Hoang=Marth
Puff=Mango
Falco=Bombsoldier
Mr. Game & Watch=Bombsoldier
Pichu=Chu Dat
Bowser=Gimpyfish
Mewtwo=Taj
Roy=Neo
Peach=Armada
DK=Bum

I'm just wondering but is there one for Kirby?

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Also , Mario = Green Mario/Brown Mario lol
Fox = Chillindude
DK = Bum/AOB
I love and miss old school melee :(

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
lol nobody plays like wes samus so i don't know how accurate it is to say he invented her
Wes was the first Samus to be recorded a lot, and so he was a lot of people's first intro to Samus.

Despite that, I'd say your average Samus off the street plays more like Watty or Oro.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
As a Samus main back in 06 (When i started playing) I didn't really like Wes's style. I don't remember if HugS was around then. But I really liked HugS and Phanna <3

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
I think for the spacies it's hard to say who invented them. Everyone did a bit to get them to where they are right now, and the bazillion ways of playing them makes it so that even today there ar emultiple "metagames" for spacies, just look at the difference in like PP and Mango

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
All i know is:

Marth - Ken
Falco - Bombsoldier
CF - Isai
Shiek - Captain Jack
Peach - Mikeal

AXE 09

Smash Master
Anther and I invented our own different Pikachus, but Anther was around way before I was. So does that make Anther the creator of Pikachu?

Rykard

Smash Ace
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Forward when talking about falco yet. Also:

T!mmy = Kirby
T0mmy = Pichu
Eggz = Mario

at least for the majority of the time that i've known this game

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
ka made luigi, 4 reals

im more modern so I would say axe made pikachu. i mean the dude has numerous top 5 at big tournaments with PIKACHU. if that doesnt count for inventing it idk what does.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

EDIT: I think it's safe to say that Armada invented Peach and Bum invented DK. Both play/played their characters like no one had before.
Captain Jack/AOB invented the metagame for DK; Bum played it better than anyone else. Bum didn't innovate much outside of Up-B sweetspot abuse, but he did everything better than anyone else had. Bum also took DK to new heights by exploring counterpick stage options, a possibility Captain Jack didn't have because FD is the only legal stage in Japan.

apologies for the redundancy, I'm tired.

additionally, the old guild of players such as Recipherous "invented" several characters by paving the way for future players like Drephen and KoreanDJ, and later Amsah/Mew2King for Sheik.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Strong bad is the only person I like in this thread.

He mentioned Recipherius.

Acryte

Smash Ace

I thought Mikael, mike g were old schoolers to really invent peach
also I saw a vid that predated taj's m2 of some old school m2 dude bustin out shadowclaw type stuff can't rememebr the name of they polayer though... imma go find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLpAL7Izke0

yea I'd say Quak and Taj

Top Bottom