• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Into The New World :: Generation V Competitive Metagame Discussion

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Good news, Encourage raises the power of ALL moves, not just moves with status effects. This means Aqua Jet and the like get boosted.

Fraligator just differentiated itself from Gyardose. Encourage essentially boost its attack over GDoses. Him possessing Aqua Jet also is a key difference, and makes up for their difference in speed. Will this be enough of a reason to use the gator over the dragon karp?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Victini's signature move is a base 180 power physical Fire-type move. Lowers your Def, SpDef, and Speed.

OM NOM NOM THOSE WHITE HERBS

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Too bad Jalorda's base Special Attack is garbage and the move only has 8 PP. And his movepool sucks and Grass is resisted by loads of mons.

Still enough to be very painful though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
TheMaskedNitpicker said:
It has recently come to my attention that WiFi battles in Black and White are finally adopting a console-style pre-match. What does this mean? It means that when you start a battle against another player, you get to see the species of all six of their Pokémon and they get to see yours. Then you choose which of your Pokémon to send out first.

From what I gather, this happens in every Wi-Fi match, even Friend Code matches, so any new simulator for the 5th gen games is most likely going to adopt it as well.

This may seem like a very minor change to some of you, but as someone who has played an extensive amount of Pokémon Battle Revolution using this rule, I can tell you that it is significant.

It shakes up the concept of a 'lead' Pokémon. No longer will you be required to always send out the same Pokémon at the start of every match. This is not to say that the concept of a lead will immediately or completely die. At first people will make teams like they always have, with an intended lead Pokémon that sets up Stealth Rock and/or other effects. But sometimes, they'll get to the pre-match screen and realize that their lead is going to be crushed by their opponent's lead and decide to lead with something else. Eventually, people will start designing their teams differently, bearing in mind that any of their Pokémon could potentially enter a match first.

It also severely reduces the importance of 'scouting'. You can see the species of all of your opponent's Pokémon right up front. A knowledgeable, skilled opponent is going to be able to figure out what moves and abilities your Pokémon is likely to have from the combination of Pokémon on your team.

In my experience, this change is very good for the game. Picking your lead(s) adds an entirely new layer of strategy. Pre-knowledge of an opponent's team gives skilled opponents a bigger edge, since they can predict switch-ins of Pokémon that have yet to enter the match.

Discuss.
Well, ****.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
...Since Smogon uses Rotom Formes and Giratina-O, wouldn't that imply that they tend to pick rules from Wireless matches rather than Wifi? Aren't the Formes Wireless only? I can never keep that straight.

If so, it means **** that, we're using Wireless rules!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
On Wifi, you have to hack the alternate forms.

It's worth noting that it will be impossible to hack blind battles.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Is it confirmed that you can't take Giratina-A, the Rotom Appliances, and Shaymin-S into Wi-fi?

I don't see why this would still be restricted; from what I can tell it was only that way in Gen 4 due to Diamond and Pearl not having the info.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
But you CAN use forms on without hacking on Wireless, correct?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Dear Wi-Fi elitists,

Eat a ****.

Sincerely,
All the Shoddybattle and Pokemon Online users you've been making fun of for years

Gates

Banned via Warnings
How do I get access to Gen 5 on PO? I know that you need to go into Team Builder and select Gen 5, but I don't know about anything else.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Dear Wi-Fi elitists,

Eat a ****.

Sincerely,
All the Shoddybattle and Pokemon Online users you've been making fun of for years
Wi-fi/wireless is simply the basis for the simulators.

While I do think that Wi-fi is more pure than Simulators, I have no problem with them and the fact that I've never bred a team for Wi-fi shows how dedicated I am. :p

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Good news, Encourage raises the power of ALL moves, not just moves with status effects. This means Aqua Jet and the like get boosted.

Fraligator just differentiated itself from Gyardose. Encourage essentially boost its attack over GDoses. Him possessing Aqua Jet also is a key difference, and makes up for their difference in speed. Will this be enough of a reason to use the gator over the dragon karp?
Yeah, but Aqua Jet won't get priority...

Or does it?

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Aqua Jet is a primary effect.

For example, Flare Blitz's recoil is a primary effect.
The chance of burn is a secondary effect.
Encourage only eliminates secondary effect.
Priority is not changed.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
rotom-A is not part ghost anymore

NO MORE GAY SPIN BLOCKING FROM THAT THING!!!!

which is really important since electric/ghost was an awesome typing and now it's going to be so much easier to deal with

mood4food77

Smash Hero
but the rotom forms were so annoying to deal with

now that they aren't part ghost, they're not as useful anymore (but i will say, having an electric typing with levitate is still baller) since they don't have a free switch-in to spinners/normal pokemon

seriously, they're the reason most pokes couldn't be used, too versatile and the typing was so ****ing good, it made my head asplode

like yea there are more ghosts but there aren't as many defensive ghosts (there's dusknoir, desukan, spiritomb, and giratina, and you can use mismaguis and burunkeru for specially defensive pokes) but i don't think any of those are as versatile as the rotom forms, outside of giratina, they're either slow or favor one side of the spectrum

and ****it...i just looked at shanderaa's stats, and he's a stronger, slightly slower, and almost evenly defensive rotom-A (just going on stats) but at least he has a worse typing and isn't immune to ground (as earthquake is a common move for spinners)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Electric type with Levitate has 0 weaknesses.

Rotom forms can't spinblock anymore, but assuming they have the same movepool they can do pretty much everything else.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So, with all these changes, I wonder if Scizor will still be really cheap or not. Light Metal sounds stupid.

(I'm more curious to see Pokemon kicked off their thrones.. like Gyara and Scizor, etc)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
but to counter shadow tag, a lot of spinners have sturdy, which is now an instant focus sash

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
What? How does that counter shadow tag? 1. They switched in on entry hazards, they lost their sturdy. 2. how does that help them rapid spin a ghost pokemon?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Pokemon with 0 weaknesses tend to be pretty meh.
Sableye would be terrible even if he did have weaknesses. Spiritomb is better by a decent amount, but Ghost/Dark typing isn't good in general since even though it has 3 immunities it still only resists a type that happens to be the worst STAB in the game anyway. Shibirudon is resistant to Electric and Steel, both common types, and immune to Ground, another extremely common type. His stats leave something to be desired but he's got the best typing out of all the 0 weaknesses so far.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Something like Poison / Dark with Levitate provides no weaknesses either. Coming with no weaknesses all boils down to base stats and the typing.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
What? How does that counter shadow tag? 1. They switched in on entry hazards, they lost their sturdy. 2. how does that help them rapid spin a ghost pokemon?
they can carry lefties and in a few turns, the HP is maxed out, giving them their focus sash back, for example, forrey only needs 2 turns (from max life) to recover off SR damage with lefties

it does make it harder, a lot of spinners are brought in on the turn a spiker uses spikes, so they take no damage and now they either spin or deal damage to an oncoming ghost

with sturdy now acting like focus sash, it makes it much harder as now sturdy pokemon are pretty much guaranteed a 2HKO, making spin blocking not as effective

it'll still work but not as dominant

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Saw something about Sturdy Probopass the other day.

Make him level 2, Sturdy, Leftovers, and give him a bunch of support moves. He must be switched in on a non-attacking move, though. Lefties cures Stealth Rock damage and he's immune to Sandstorm. Give him Pain Split and he heals himself completely towards any opponent, crippling them and replenishing his Sturdy/HP.

Top Bottom