• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Into The New World :: Generation V Competitive Metagame Discussion

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I skipped a lot of the ones that I thought were pointless or stupid. Guts Flareon in particular is dumb since he's forced to use a Toxic Orb to activate it.

It was never good in the first place.

Tyranitar's Dream World ability makes the opponent not use their berries. It's really stupid. If your team is really adverse to Sandstorm I could see it being used, but otherwise it's just crap.
Well Darn. I guess it'd be wise to keep him as the Sandstormer in the Sandstorm team D:. Hopes he doesn't get nerfed down to UU/NU, though with his stats+Sandstream I can't see it.

On another note, Sandstorm teams are going to be so powerful now<3

Edit2: Do you think Jaroda (sp..snake starter) with Perversity can Spam Leaf Storm for +40% Spatt.

Edit: NONE of these new Pokes have Sandstream. Guess Ttar will be a must for SS teams. (Or hippowdon)

Wrath`

Smash Master
I feel like with all the weather abuse that is predicted. A team that has a sweeper for each type of weather may have merit. Let your opponent do the work of weather manipulation for you.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
...Then another team WITHOUT weather pops up and your team is down right terrible.

You can't have a team that ENTIRELY relies on a Weather, or one that relies on weather NOT showing up (ex Moonlight Cressy). You need some balance. Maybe a team reliant on weather, but has like the Mole guy thrown in there or something to combat Sandstorm teams.

Or maybe even have Weather of your own, but not necessarily a weather team. For example, if your team has a Fire weakness, you might want to slap Politoad in there for support.

Wrath`

Smash Master
So as I browse Smogon I see elemental gems.

Guess it provides a one time boost to the attack of the element it is.

Explosion Plus lead Metagross? All depends on how much of a boost it provides, hopefully a good boost as it is a one time use.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Urogamosu seems very interesting. I guess Swarm is good enough. Anyway, Fire/Bug get some coverage, but with Sun it can abuse Solar Beam. HP Grass should be useful as well.

Anyhoo, it learns these two moves: Butterfly Dance and Fire Dance. The former increases your Speed, Special Attack, and Special Defense, while the latter increases your Special Attack. I'm assuming Fire Dance gives you a +2 boost in Special Attack since it would be kinda stupid to have it just add +1 since it has Butterfly Dance.

Anyway, Butterfly Dance/Fire Dance, coupled with a decent base Speed, Special Defense, and amazing Special Attack give it a chance to be a very threatening sweeper. Stealth Rock is a thorn in its side, though. If Aiming Mark does what it's said to do, then Stealth Rock might decrease in usage, making this thing even better.

It's pre-evolution could be useful in Little Cup as well. I don't have much knowledge of Little Cup, but its pre-evolved form has a Base 85 attack, Base 60 Speed, and 55/55/55 defenses. Nitro Charge, U-turn, and Wild Bolt could also help it be a good enough physical attacker.

Just some theorymonning.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'd be pretty cool if the metagame became similar to the '10 VGC metagame, with many versatile weather abusers and changers.

JOE!

Smash Hero
why is nobody mentioning how Gatr is now stronger than Gyara? Especially with the advent of super Rain teams >_>

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/989552-pokemon-black-version/56447728/623875450

"So, I had the following quick test battle:

Tsutaaja vs. Wild Minezumi

Tsutaaja used Calm Mind. Sp. Attack and SP. Defence fall.
Minezumi used Tackle
Tsutaaja used Leaf Storm. Sp. Attack rose.

Currently trying to get paralysed to see if speed still gets cut.
Let me know if there's other situations you can think of testing."

MY FACE WHEN SMUGLORD IS ****ING UBER
I HAVE NO FACE

PowerBomb

Smash Master
why is nobody mentioning how Gatr is now stronger than Gyara? Especially with the advent of super Rain teams >_>
Yeah, but it doesn't help very much since Gatr can't use Dragon Dance.

EDIT: Aqua Jet also doesn't get boosted by Encourage. It only boosts attacks that have a chance of causing a secondary effect to the opponent (such as Flinch for Waterfall). Gatr can benefit using Waterfall and Ice Punch, though. It also makes it so that a Mixed Set is totally viable due to the Encourage boost.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
I took your avatar as your mfw. Does this ability work on the switchin? If so, whooooooo, ****in beast man.

Also, this is the sleeper of this gen, waiting to bust out and kick some ***. She's major underrated

Doredia will be busting *** with Butterfly dance and her support/status moves.
110 SpAtk / 75 SpDef / 90 Spd
She's the only user who doesn't have horrendous typing like Bug/Fire Bug/Flying Bug/Posion.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
oh god the 34

Isn't her movepool rather shallow? I mean, she can sleep her counters... but yeah.

She absolutely needs Hidden Power though, right?

Harvest Tropius (IF DW abilities are breedable) can abuse a physical Natural Gift rather nicely. Dragon Dance + Physical Natural Gift for coverage. Granted, it'll only be useful in the lower tiers, but it's a boost, nonetheless.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Bug / Poison isn't THAT bad. Pure Grass isn't fantastic. Chlorophyll, Own Tempo, and Leaf Guard aren't really worth writing home about.

Pete278

Smash Lord
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/989552-pokemon-black-version/56447728/623875450

"So, I had the following quick test battle:

Tsutaaja vs. Wild Minezumi

Tsutaaja used Calm Mind. Sp. Attack and SP. Defence fall.
Minezumi used Tackle
Tsutaaja used Leaf Storm. Sp. Attack rose.

Currently trying to get paralysed to see if speed still gets cut.
Let me know if there's other situations you can think of testing."

MY FACE WHEN SMUGLORD IS ****ING UBER
I HAVE NO FACE
HOLY **** WORDS DO NOT DESCRIBE THE EMOTION I AM FEELING RIGHT NOW. IT'S SO SMUG BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EVEN CARE WHAT YOU DO TO IT.

But, seriously, wow. That's going to be amazing if Smuglord doesn't rely on egg moves. Keep in mind, the other two pokemon with this ability are Shuckle and Spinda, they're not going to be competing for Smuglord's place. :p

EDIT: Though, having just checked, his type coverage is a tad non-existant...

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Smuglord's Special coverage is horrible. Hidden Power and Grass-type moves... >_> Still, double special attack per Leaf Storm is rather powerful. He has nice speed too.

Dragon Tail might help woosh people away...

Also, you guys realize the potential of this ability in double battles, right? Lower the stats of the Pokemon with Perversity and it gets boosted...

EDIT: I'm thinking of a set with Sub, Leaf Storm, HP Ground, and _____. Maybe Dragon Tail to shuffle some of the more annoying Pokemon out. If Heatran doesn't have a Scarf, it's gonna die (assumptions).

JOE!

Smash Hero
Yeah, but it doesn't help very much since Gatr can't use Dragon Dance.

EDIT: Aqua Jet also doesn't get boosted by Encourage. It only boosts attacks that have a chance of causing a secondary effect to the opponent (such as Flinch for Waterfall). Gatr can benefit using Waterfall and Ice Punch, though. It also makes it so that a Mixed Set is totally viable due to the Encourage boost.
you cant get Egg Moves?

PowerBomb

Smash Master
you cant get Egg Moves?
It's unconfirmed if whether Dream World abilities pass on through breeding. I've heard they are, but no one knows for sure.

Unless we get the Dream World abilities with a manipulative plethora of moves... that would be interesting.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
"Magic Coat will now work on: Whirlwind, Roar, Disable, Spite, Spikes, Foresight, Encore, Torment, Taunt, Odor Sleuth, Miracle Eye, Embargo, Heal Block, Toxic Spikes, Defog, and Stealth Rock."

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Like you guys are so slow.

Then again, I'm talking with one of the guys actually doing the data extracting from the game to get my info, but still.

BTW, there is a "Hadouken flag" for some moves :3

It's just a categorization for moves, probably just to keep things organized when designing the game, nothing more lol.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
"Magic Coat will now work on: Whirlwind, Roar, Disable, Spite, Spikes, Foresight, Encore, Torment, Taunt, Odor Sleuth, Miracle Eye, Embargo, Heal Block, Toxic Spikes, Defog, and Stealth Rock."
MAGIC COAT PORYGON2 IS BACK, BABY
Well, almost. Still, it gets a major boost.

Like you guys are so slow.

Then again, I'm talking with one of the guys actually doing the data extracting from the game to get my info, but still.

BTW, there is a "Hadouken flag" for some moves :3

It's just a categorization for moves, probably just to keep things organized when designing the game, nothing more lol.
Answer me this: Are Dream World abilities passable via breeding?

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Wait, so if you use Magic Coat, it reflects Stealth Rock to the opponents side of the field if used afterwords?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
alakazam with magic guard is gonna **** ****

i mean come on

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Magic Guard / Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Calm Mind
Miracle Eye
Psychic
Focus Blast

You hit everything hard, Miracle Eye to get the ttar switch-ins, calm mind to boost your attack to absurd levels, and everything else is toast

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet
Don't know if anyone said it yet, but Ditto4OU. Eccentric let's it transform as soon as it enters the battle, plus it copies stat boosts; slap a scarf on it and you have the best revenge killer that has every existed.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Azelf/Jirachi/Starmie gets this move people.
In lower tiers, you'll have Espeon using its new Auto Magic Coat ability to jump in during the start and **** up leads.

Did I mention how insane Starmie is now, especially as an anti-lead?

Buffs it got as an antilead:
Swimming Goggles (buffed speed and accuracy, can be tricked to put the opponent who isn't water to sleep, also stops other Trick pokemon)
Aiming Mark (can be tricked onto ghost for a sure fire rapid spin)
Boiling Water (spreads status)
Magic Coat (perfect anti-Stealth Rock move)
Psychic Shock (stops pokemon who would otherwise wall it)
Electric-U-Turn (using its great special attack, it provides a way to escape unwanted threats)
Complete Burn to **** over Ninjask with berries.

all of these also buff it as a pokemon, AND it also gets buffed thanks to Politoad. Starmie looking incredibly solid next gen. It has to deal with a few more powerful dark types, but I think it will handle this well considering everything.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
that's nuts and totally awesome

ditto is not completely useless outside of sex

i don't think starmie gets volt change

mood4food77

Smash Hero
miracle eye removes the dark type psychic immunity

but when i look at it, it's nto going to be doing much

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Yeah, Focus Blast will still hit Tyranitar harder.

Smuglord @ Life Orb
Perversity / Timid
252 Sp. Att / 228 Speed / 24 HP
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Ground/Rock
-Substitute
-Leech Seed/Dragon Tail

Just something random I came up with. I think the EVs outspeed Max Speed Gengar. God dang his movepool sucks. Hidden Power Ground deals with Heatran, but Rock deals with the fliers that wall him so badly. At least Dragon Tail shoves stuff around.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'd go with HP Rock and Hyper Beam in the last slot.

+2 Hyper Beam is no joke.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
From 500 special attack, maybe. If only it learned Sludge Bomb we might have had a good filler move. Maybe the third version will bring some move tutors that give him additional moves.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Just read on Smogon that Breakable Armor does indeed lower Defense, not Attack, in exchange for Speed.

Don't remember who all gets it but Kabutops now has a use outside Rain.

<3 Kabutops.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Just read on Smogon that Breakable Armor does indeed lower Defense, not Attack, in exchange for Speed.

Don't remember who all gets it but Kabutops now has a use outside Rain.

<3 Kabutops.
Oh wow.

Lol Skarmory... he doesn't need this DW ability.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Kabutops is definitely its best receiver, too.

A Jolly Kabutops with Max Speed and Attack has 658 Attack after a Swords Dance and 426 Speed, which outspeeds all non-boosted Pokémon barring Ninjask and Agirudaa (by 1 POINT :mad:), and, of course, the Deoxys formes. With its very nice dual STAB, only resisted by a handful of Pokémon, it's guaranteed to dent some things. You could use Claw Sharpen over Swords Dance to make sure Stone Edge hits, but you lose power.

Rain is still the safer route, as it allows for a faster and stronger Pokemon without the need for damage and Defense loss; it also gets a more powerful Waterfall. Breakable Armor does have the advantage of preventing weather interlopers from interfering with its sweep, though.

Top Bottom