• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
I felt like you were a lot better than that luigi(no combos, no juggling, where were the jab grabs?, he kept hitting your shield, etc) and kirby (final cutter, fair approach, fsmash spam?, no throw combos, bad spacing).

Rob match:
The first stock started out great! Nice job keeping the pressure up. This is how you win that matchup imo. Stay in his face and don't let up. If you don't keep the pressure up, then he'll just camp you harder. I'm a big fan of flame breath but i don't think it should be used often vs rob. Rob isn't so great when you're under him but I didn't see you go for a utilt kill but the dsmash kill was pretty good. Gotta work on your klaw hopping. The ac fairs were good in the first two matches but I didn't see you try it in this matchup ditto with your jab game. Walking up and shielding is probably the best approach but you should try and mix it up (klaw hop, ac fair, ac retreating fair, SHAD). Like choice said in the video comment, too much SHAD.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
I felt like you were a lot better than that luigi(no combos, no juggling, where were the jab grabs?, he kept hitting your shield, etc) and kirby (final cutter, fair approach, fsmash spam?, no throw combos, bad spacing).

Rob match:
The first stock started out great! Nice job keeping the pressure up. This is how you win that matchup imo. Stay in his face and don't let up. If you don't keep the pressure up, then he'll just camp you harder. I'm a big fan of flame breath but i don't think it should be used often vs rob. Rob isn't so great when you're under him but I didn't see you go for a utilt kill but the dsmash kill was pretty good. Gotta work on your klaw hopping. The ac fairs were good in the first two matches but I didn't see you try it in this matchup ditto with your jab game. Walking up and shielding is probably the best approach but you should try and mix it up (klaw hop, ac fair, ac retreating fair, SHAD). Like choice said in the video comment, too much SHAD.
Thanks for the advice. I think the Luigi and Kirby are good, but underestimated Bowser and/or suffered from character shock.
Regarding the ROB battle, i wasn't at all prepared for the camping, though i should have been, and i greatly underestimated ROB's range. It started well but i became predictable and made mistakes toward the end. I felt flame breath would work well against ROB's big character model. I could've gone for UTilt kills when he was above but i probably didn't think it was a good idea at the time, the ending lag is scary. I should Klaw hop more often, i see how it helps watching other Bowser's, that's something i need to work on. I was a little more careful against ROB than the other two and tried to be wary of my movements, though this backfired in the end.

And i don't see what the problem is with my SHAD-ing. I don't actually use it for mindgames like that encarrar23 thought, it just makes me feel more comfortable than dashing in sometimes or Klaw hopping, it does more good than you might think. Other Bowser's barely make use of his best moves and smash too much, but nobody seems to point those out. I SHAD a bit more than others and suddenly my Bowser is no good :/. Whatever...

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
And i don't see what the problem is with my SHAD-ing. I don't actually use it for mindgames like that encarrar23 thought, it just makes me feel more comfortable than dashing in sometimes or Klaw hopping, it does more good than you might think. Other Bowser's barely make use of his best moves and smash too much, but nobody seems to point those out. I SHAD a bit more than others and suddenly my Bowser is no good :/. Whatever...
There's nothing wrong with SHAD-ing. It's good once in awhile but moderation and mixups will help your boozer. Your bowser is good. Don't let our comments deter you from reppin' bowser =) I'm just trying to help. We all have problems like doing x too much or not doing y enough but that's the point of posting vids so that other players can comment. It's a much better way to get better than simply sitting at home and wailing on lvl 9s.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
There's nothing wrong with SHAD-ing. It's good once in awhile but moderation and mixups will help your boozer. Your bowser is good. Don't let our comments deter you from reppin' bowser =) I'm just trying to help. We all have problems like doing x too much or not doing y enough but that's the point of posting vids so that other players can comment. It's a much better way to get better than simply sitting at home and wailing on lvl 9s.
Yea, i'm not going to get discouraged or anything. I'll always rep the B man ;). I just don't see how people like encarrar23 can even claim i'm no good without giving solid reasons when there are far worse Bowser "mainer's" out there who don't get enough hard truths. I can tell i'm going to be given a much harder time in the future, and the ironic part is, i know its going to only be from other Bowser's...

B!squick

Smash Master
The SHAD became predictable and it generally isn't as good as dashing in and PSing X attacks until you get close. Bowser has an okay Air Dodge, but it's really not something that's reconmended for approaching.

On the subject of UTilt verse DSmash: UTilt hits as early as frame 8 and extends to Bowser back; DSmash can be SDIed out of if I remember correctly, has piss poor range (Bowser's nose has to be INSIDE of the sandbag dude just to get 1 hitbox to land) and doesn't kill as early as UTilt. DSmash is mostly reserved for those times when someone thinks they can roll behind Bowser. Which is why you almost never see it.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Against Pikachu, you don't want to be in the air like.. at all. So don't koopahop or anything like that because Pikachu can easily **** it, which of course Anther did.

Don't FSmash randomly.

When you grab Pikachu, chaingrab him with a grab release air break, don;'t try ftilt. IT isn't guaranteed (only on Ness/Lucas).

Focus on grounded combat vs. projectile users and people with amazing aerials like pika, MK, Toon Link etc. Ftilt is very good and especially up B OOS.

Also, you may want to save Klaw for killing in pika vs. Bowser, but it isn't necessary (you shouldn't really be staling it a whole lot anyway).

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
Wow, wtf you beat anther with bowser? Nice! Liquid gen summed it up nicely.

I think ESAM mentioned on the pika boards that flame breath owns pika at the edge (not sure how true that is).

Klaw has very little landing lag so you could probably get off an aerial klaw to klaw as soon as you land.

Other than that, just remember you have a lot of other good kill options like dtilt and utilt. They are laggy and situational but they work well against light characters ^_^

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
To put it simple, in the air too much. You get ***** in the air.

Moar Up b.

Moar Klaw.

Moar grab release (i did see an attempted one however so at least you know they exist, lolol)

I find long winded critiques useless and unhelpful, so just work on these points (even though I doubt you're gonna use them again lol)

MrEh

Smash Hero
I won't give any general advice, since you have a pretty good idea about how to do things. I'll make some points about a couple of parts in the match though.

0:36 Don't go for the Usmash like that. It just doesn't work. Going for a Usmash is usually only safe if your opponent is on a platform above you, because it usually knocks them off. Otherwise, you'll get punished for it.

1:53 Were you going for a grab release ftilt? Grab release Klaws are always better, since it's much easier to land and do more damage. The filt will never kill anyway, so the Klaw is always a better option.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ohhhh, I remember, this is the guy who supposedly has a Bowser weakness haha. Will edit in comments later.

B!squick

Smash Master
No Firebreath when edge guarding? Also, that's a really solid Falco player, I don't know how you won both times honestly, lol.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Yeah. I suck in the matchup horribly, I had to CP MK cause it makes me pissed.

I won like... 3 out of the 5 we played.

And no firebreath because I play him all the time and he can avoid it really easy lol

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
Liquid, why didn't that falco try and cg spike you at all in game 1(or 2nd stock game 2)? Is that a friendly agreement? Why didn't he do a double spike or ledge hog in game 2 :S Usually I have to platform camp in this matchup hard or klaw hop behind him and hope for a nice mindgame. If you play against a campier falco who cg's to death consistently you will have to change how you play this matchup. I don't play against a top falco but the guy I play against regularly took a game off of sk92 in a falco ditto so he can't be too bad. Use our cg on falco once you're at a safe %. Srsly, take him to lylat on cp it's incredible.

Nice job on punishing him whenever he hit your shield with an aerial. I love the mindgames in game 2. So sick and creative. Props!

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Yeah, they were friendlies, and he usually does abuse more lasers and CG in a tournament set (which is why I go MK against it for right now, lol).

but until I can put up with the average campy Falco I will go Bowser vs. him, lol.

And actually, I found that castle siege works wonders vs. Falco as well. (I have a vid of me there, but I'm too lazy to upload. probably will tonight though)

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
I have no clue how to play the bowser matchup but in general yall need to tone down the on stage bairs and upsmashes. Good use of retreating fairs. You need to follow up your grabs (even if you don't grab release) dthrow often puts them in a position to be tech chased.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
are you going to put the videos from the critique thread in here too?

Popertop

Smash Champion
lmao maybe, who knows lol

he does so good against snake

The real reason I play him is because he's sooo fun, it feels good to do cool stuff with him and a major plus is that he lives forever. One time I lived till 263% it was too good
I really hope you are joking.

Snake beats bowser

Top Bottom