• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

B!squick

Smash Master
I don't know... It's better for hitting things below you than DAir.

... Sometimes. Ugh, Bowser has such terrible options that start with 'Down'. :/

... Well, that don't end in 'Tilt', lol

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
I don't know... It's better for hitting things below you than DAir.

... Sometimes. Ugh, Bowser has such terrible options that start with 'Down'. :/

... Well, that don't end in 'Tilt', lol
If u are insinuating that bowser has a crappy down taunt then u r sadly correct:/
No seriously, i love his dair. Its awesome but incredibly unwieldy

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
@ Kagato. Good work on beating Olimar. Don't throw out random forward smashes and angle your flame breath; you should incorporate klaw hopping into your game more, it's really useful for regaining your composure after getting hit, also mix around your ground game, too much full jabs and unnecessary forward tilts, try to alloy the two for some deadly assaults or try single jab into a dash grab, which is good for those who shield the single swipe (watch my videos in the previous page to see how useful it is). I may be wrong but i don't think you grabbed the Olimar once in the match, you should definitely play around with Bowser's grabs and chain grab as they're invaluable in matches.

Luckily you beat Olimar so well done :)

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Your main mistake Kagato was, that your approached straight forward into your opponent, mostly with SH AD, that is very predictable and punishable, exspecially by Olimars grab. And Olimars grab game ist just a pain for Bowser, you was inflicted much damage by Uair juggling after a grab.
Try to mix your approaching more up by claw hopping, and don't go as straight forward to your opponent, sometimes jump back when you just got near him, that makes you less predictable.
+ What Ixis said xP.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
Yeah. I just discovered it last night and saw this topic had a low number of Bowser v Olimar fights, so I figured I'd contribute even though the match is over half a hear old and I'm not proud of some things I did.

And yeah. I use Claw Hopping so no worries about that. Also, this was before I figured out I could jab into a flying slam or a Bowser bomb, so thats why you didn't see much of that.

I grab more these days as well. This was done before the days of the Grab-release combinations. I abuse the hell out of that these days as well.

And yeah. I know I rushed him. I figured if I gained early momentum, he would have been easier to deal with. It worked in our previous matches but he was ready that time.

I know the video is old and I've changed my game vastly since then, I appreciate the fact you all gave helpful feedback anyway. Once I get recording equipment here, I'll start posting more recent matches.

Seriously. It's very nice to see good feedback.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
So....

If I put my bowser up here, ya'll might be able to give me suggestions and tell me where I'm screwing up?

'Cuz that would be ballin'.

Flayl

Smash Hero
You got hit by Tornado something like 6x more than you should have. That was a pretty spammy MK, and proper use of Fortress OoS would have destroyed that. I think the only time you got that right was at the very end of the video.

You shouldn't DI towards MK when you're launched above the stage. Position yourself so that you can fortress/bomb the ledge.

As you saw Firebreath isn't reliable against Tornado. Try Dash attacking instead, it's harder for the MK's to estimate their safety distance over FTilt. Yes, dash attack has worse ending lag, but the worst that can happen if you miss is getting hit by the tornado, and like I said, it's harder to miss than FTilt.

Stick to the guaranteed air release chaingrab against MK, that's the whole reason Final Destination is our best counterpick against MK.

Knowing that you placed fairly well, you should do even better next time as long as you get some of this stuff down first.

udov

Smash Cadet
To me, you didn't vary your ways of approach enough. Most of the time (from what I saw), it consisted in shield dashing, then Fortress Out of shield when they were attacking you. Even if Bowser is limited when it comes to approaching opponents, I think there are still several other ways :p
I might be wrong though, I like to move and jump a lot with Bowser, be as fast as I can, which doesn't seem to everyone's taste, so you shouldn't take my feedback into consideration until someone agrees with what I said^^

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
Well, udov, Bowser has one of the slowest jump animations in the game. So maybe don't jump to approach a whole lot.

But there's nothing wrong with using it every so often as a surprise maneuver.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
I think my videos can be removed now, since they're a couple months old and i have vastly improved since then :)

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I'd appreciate some critique on some wifi matches I had vs. a DK.

Set 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpnmhexdNN8&feature=channel

Set 2 match 1 (and part of a 2nd match before I had a random disconnect problem)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhmBLDRGxrg&feature=channel

Set 2 matches 2 and 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLKgCsO6S0&feature=channel

and a few things that I realize I need to fix about my playstyle...
-too much reliance on klaw-hopping
- too many down-b's (most ******** thing ever I know)
- I have absolutely no grab-release game.

Thanks in advance for any feedback given.

Farlen

Smash Rookie
WTF dudes, there isint a single vs Zero suit samus fight, for which i am in here...
Are you going too upload some soon?

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
I play 2 decent ZSS's quite a bit- I'll see if I can record a match for you soon?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yo my dudes I have uh...crap, it was supposed to be three >_< aww well. I have two matches against a Yoshi. This was about I'd say...3 days before he learned the Dragonic Reverse and Egg Lay and all that, but he recorded these rounds. It was SUPPOSED to be 3 but whatever, if he ever uploads the third match or battles vs his ike i'll either edit this post or make a new one

Match 1 [vs yoshi]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAIVYdpFh_0&feature=related

Match 2[vs yoshi again =D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKalyV1CWjw&feature=related

^theres some random time skips in there because of pinnacle, ffffffffffffff

and i personally think i did pr-etty well, considering i have like 1.5% yoshi experience lol, im also really surprised he never went for the grab release .-.

yoshi can CG us right?

udov

Smash Cadet
I don't think you were Klaw-hopping too much, but sometimes you did it dangerously :p

The main advantage that DK had over you is that he managed to K.O. when you had 100-120%, while you needed to hit him much more to take a stock. You should use down tilts more often, (well, I think you didn't do any in your videos :o ) it's quick and kills early.
Also, you said you had no grab-release game, well you didn't grab at all :p You had many opportunities to do that (shieldgrabbing his b-airs, the end of his up-b when he was recovering, etc...). It would have helped a lot and racked up damage quickly.
It's true that you made stupid Bowser bombs, but it is by no means a bad move, jab canceled down-b often works to get REALLY EARLY kills. Grounded Bowser bombs are much less risky, more efficient and are harder for your opponents to punish.
Speaking of jab cancels, when you use jab really close to the opponent, most of the time you can cancel it to use Murder Hug (side-b if you prefer :D ), which is rather useful against big characters like DK . On the contrary, when they are further but still get hit by the jab, down-b will connect more.
I think you were too predictable in the ways you used to approach your opponent: you jumped towards him most of the time. You could have shield dashed, etc...

You shouldn't short hop + b-air over the ground that often, except if you're convinced it will land/kill, otherwise its lag is too great...
Finally, sometimes your use of smashes was not always appropriate, especially down smash and up smash.
But to me, it's overall positive, and I know that using Bowser on wifi is not easy at all.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
@ Limit. You've gotten a lot better from what i watched, well done fighting Yoshi, it's not a particularly hard matchup but it's a pretty dodgy one. I'll say now though, that Yoshi - while not terrible - is far from the best, trust me i know the Yoshi matchup better than any other matchup and that Yoshi was not making the most of his advantages against Bowser. The next time you speak to him(her?), tell that player to go to this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236196&page=5 and read the 64th post to get the hang of fighting Bowser.

Anyway. Well done landing hits with otherwise situational moves like the Bair, you made good use of FTilt and increased your Fortress frequency, keep that up as you can never use UpB too much :). You have a few habits (i'm guessing) that should be broken quickly, you really shouldn't air dodge into the floor, most of the time i find it better to klaw hop into a quick Fair (or other aerial). Full jab less, i know you didn't do it much but just keep it in mind. Single jab more, follow up that first swipe with almost any other move in Bowser's arsenal, it's better to get a first swipe then cancel to a Klaw than throw out random grounded Klaw's. Direct your FTilt's, though it doesn't help much vs Yoshi. Most importantly, do not randomly smash attack, i cannot stress this enough; do not smash attack unless you have a very good reason to do so (or you're just throwing one out and hoping for the best, but even these should be cut down on and relegated to mostly USmash which is the least punishable). You probably shouldn't DTilt so much either. But you did very well, i was impressed, keep it up! and read the 64th post to get the hang of fighting Bowser.

Flayl

Smash Hero

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
@ Flayl. I'll come give advice soon, but i'm arguing with the Sheik's right now so i may be a while :/

B!squick

Smash Master
Lol, this isn't the critique thread, but I don't think anyone's gonna stop you. And hearing other people's opinion to consider is never a bad thing.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Lol, this isn't the critique thread, but I don't think anyone's gonna stop you. And hearing other people's opinion to consider is never a bad thing.
Sorry JayDeath, I'll keep the critique's in the correct place from now on. :)

@ Flayl. You did good, funnily enough a lot of what i said to Limit can be recycled here. More fortress i say and spaced Fair's, also charge into Falco more rather than walking, and definitely practice up on the chaingrab on Falco, i find it interesting and very helpful that Bowser can re-grab Falco regardless of whether he ground or air releases.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Sorry JayDeath, I'll keep the critique's in the correct place from now on. :)

@ Flayl. You did good, funnily enough a lot of what i said to Limit can be recycled here. More fortress i say and spaced Fair's, also charge into Falco more rather than walking, and definitely practice up on the chaingrab on Falco, i find it interesting and very helpful that Bowser can re-grab Falco regardless of whether he ground or air releases.
The rest of your advice is solid, but you can't charge Falco. The initial part of the dash animation does not allow you to shield, and if the Falco is shdl'ing properly he'll keep you there. You have to approach either by walking or by the air.

Either way I appreciate you watching and commenting on it.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Thanks Ixis. I told him about all that stuff and I showed him the link to read. BTW he learned how to Dragonic Reversal or whatever ATs Yoshi may have. If that's useful ,I don't know, but uh I'm gonna play him tomorrow or sometime.

BTW I switched to Red Bowser ;o R.I.P. Gimpy [????????????????????????????????]

And I just arrived back from Florida [my vacation], so I'm ready to contribute or whatever I can do with the Bowser boards. Again. lol

Brndn

Smash Apprentice
^nice vids. btw you can take down my vids. ill contribute new ones later.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Also @ Ixis I watched the Yoshi match again. I remember why I D-Tilted a lot was because I thought Yoshi's second jump didn't sweet-spot the ledge, so maybe a D-Tilt would get him. Didn't really work though, lol.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Alright finally updated all of them. Haven't really been playing Brawl so I forgot to come log onto SWF. :p

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yo. One more video to add :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC6I2FwKm30&feature=channel

^I did really bad this whole Grand Finals set. It's beyond me why he only uploaded the last one, although this was the only remotely decent match, lol. The only thing I really learned from this set is how useful SHAD into UpB/Jabs, Tilts is. Hell, SHAD is just useful in general, so long as your opponent doesn't read that. I'm not really the SHADdy type of person, so I can use this a bit more than the next Bowser I suppose. ._. I also learned my opponent has good DI T_T AND going for that UpAir kill is somewhat useless, I don't really connect with it anymore. L2BaitSkyKills, Limit -.-

Battlefield is Bowser's best stage but I can only click with it sometimes, and this was definitely NOT one of those times ;-;. I actually do better on Smashville than Battlefield tbh.

And yeah Ixis I know <_< I forgot the airdodging habits and stuff, and he ate me up for it, I learned my lesson.

And my GR was lul.

By the way, does our Klaw beat nado? I remember Gen saying that, but my training mode testing skills are extremely lacking, so I couldn't quite see for myself. I usually just start fire from a distance to stop it.

Also there are a few more vids crzy missed, but w/e. I won't get on top of that.

There was somethin' I wanted to say...oh yeah, my actual name is Limit <_< not Limit129, I just added 129 because somehow Limit was taken. But again, I won't hunt you down for that :l

lulz.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Yo. One more video to add :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC6I2FwKm30&feature=channel

^I did really bad this whole Grand Finals set. It's beyond me why he only uploaded the last one, although this was the only remotely decent match, lol. The only thing I really learned from this set is how useful SHAD into UpB/Jabs, Tilts is. Hell, SHAD is just useful in general, so long as your opponent doesn't read that. I'm not really the SHADdy type of person, so I can use this a bit more than the next Bowser I suppose. ._. I also learned my opponent has good DI T_T AND going for that UpAir kill is somewhat useless, I don't really connect with it anymore. L2BaitSkyKills, Limit -.-

Battlefield is Bowser's best stage but I can only click with it sometimes, and this was definitely NOT one of those times ;-;. I actually do better on Smashville than Battlefield tbh.

And yeah Ixis I know <_< I forgot the airdodging habits and stuff, and he ate me up for it, I learned my lesson.

And my GR was lul.

By the way, does our Klaw beat nado? I remember Gen saying that, but my training mode testing skills are extremely lacking, so I couldn't quite see for myself. I usually just start fire from a distance to stop it.

Also there are a few more vids crzy missed, but w/e. I won't get on top of that.

There was somethin' I wanted to say...oh yeah, my actual name is Limit <_< not Limit129, I just added 129 because somehow Limit was taken. But again, I won't hunt you down for that :l

lulz.
Klaw can beat tornado from the side, btw use more grab release overb, it racks more damage then grab release jabs. Be sure to never tell the secret of the matchup to the MK, which is to just tornado when bowser is above him.

Also your Bowser is pretty good, keep representing.

Top Bottom