• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm trying to incorperate Zelda's Jab into the game more.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
any advice guys?

Well honestly I KNOW this move is underrated and I see virtually no zeldas using it.... not even the pros... but it is REALLY beefy for a jab... and is nice and disjointed and does good damage for how fast it is. Not to mention, it resets spacing pretty well (which means I would NOT use it against, say, marth or ike.)

it doesn't have great priority... but spamming it can actually provide problems to low priority apporaches (think sonic or C. falcon). and, when spaced right, you can prety much ALWAYS pull one of these out in time to smack someone trying to dash at you.

my main problem is knowing how to follow this puppy up. I think it can lead into dtilt or fsmash at low enough damages. and can be repeated or switched into dtilt if shielded to shield poke.

or, maybe it shoul just be used to stop approaches quickly for a surprise and follow up situationally.

Iunno.... what's your experience with it guys?

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I just use this move randomly.

I try to follow up with a dash grab if all the hits connect, but I'm rarely fast enuf lmao.

Iris

Smash Ace
Beefy? In what aspects? The % damage is kind of pathetic, even if all 3 hits connect.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
okay... so Oh Snap follows up with a grab when possible....

what about everyone else?

when do you use it? what do you follow it up with?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I've seen it used for sheildstabbing, but I havent tried it myself.

It sometimes works as a decent edge-guarded.

I struggle to find the right time to use this, but when it works best I find myself using it instead of a "perfect sheild".

Try fighting a CPU9 and set your block button to A, then play a couple of regular matches. See if anything useful comes up.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
I like it as a jab. There are lots of better jabs but it's not bad by any means... it's just in every situation where you could jab you could also dsmash which works a lot better.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I like it as a jab. There are lots of better jabs but it's not bad by any means... it's just in every situation where you could jab you could also dsmash which works a lot better.
jab has more range and far less cooldown.

willie phisterbottom

Smash Rookie
if i can land it ill usually follow it up with a short ranged din's fire, just because someone might be slow to dodge after they knock back from her jab, her neutral A is probably her only move that i almost never use though.. ill use it sometimes if im whooping someones *** just to mess with them, either that or you could use it as an interupter for someone who is trying to grab you but im not sure how well that would even work

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I sometimes use it as a poke because it feels relatively safe. Depending on how it hits them, I might try to follow up with a dash attack or dash grab if my opponent looks open, but usually it's just to give me a little breathing room without too much risk of me getting punished.

As far as overall usefulness, I honestly don't think it's that good of a move for Zelda. I think it's a little too slow (considering it's a jab) and the hitbox is too high (I don't like how some attacks go underneath the jab without them getting hit) for it to be all that useful for protecting Zelda from grounded approaches. Zelda definitely would use her jab more if it had the same kind of speed as most other jabs.

However, the fact that she swings pretty high means that it may have applications for defending against short hopped approaches (but Zelda already has good options for stopping those).

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I use her jab... but honestly, I just use it to refresh other moves and the occasional stopper. It has very low cooldown... but the start-up is AWFUL for a jab. Nevertheless, my favorite way to use this move is to whiff it and then immediately dtilt my opponent. They see the sparkles come out, but by the time they react and come in to move, I can move again and they eat a quick and safe dtilt.

Villi

Smash Lord
Upclose it sets up for a dash attack or grab. The best part about it is the low cool down so you can pretty much just decide what to do as soon as the move comes out.

Iris

Smash Ace
it does decent damage for a jab, and also has a nice durration if it connects
6% is actually pretty crummy, especially when it's difficult to get all 3 2% hits to connect. Compare it to a normal 2-3hit combo like Samus or Lucas, or a flurry attack and it's pretty pathetic. Also, duration isn't really a benefit unless your opponent can't hold a shield. If anything, it gives them more time to react after it connects with the shield.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
6% is actually pretty crummy, especially when it's difficult to get all 3 2% hits to connect. Compare it to a normal 2-3hit combo like Samus or Lucas, or a flurry attack and it's pretty pathetic. Also, duration isn't really a benefit unless your opponent can't hold a shield. If anything, it gives them more time to react after it connects with the shield.
6% for a single jab is nice actually
it has decent range and hitstun for a jab as well
the duration gives you time to chose your next move and can make it hard to spotdodge.
the BEST thing about this move is it's ridiculously low cooldown.... I've started following up dodged attempts with dtilt.
otherwise the move is nice for creating breathing room.

Iris

Smash Ace
6% for a single jab is nice actually
it has decent range and hitstun for a jab as well
the duration gives you time to chose your next move and can make it hard to spotdodge.
the BEST thing about this move is it's ridiculously low cooldown.... I've started following up dodged attempts with dtilt.
otherwise the move is nice for creating breathing room.
Uh, wow.

First of all, like I already said, 6% is crummy for a move that can't combo into itself.
The range isn't terrible, but it's a very high hitbox.
Hitstun doesn't really help in any aspect. Dropping shield and trading hits isn't very difficult. Hitstun is far from a good thing. It allows for time to DI or counter the attack.
Duraction helps the opponent as much as it does Zelda, and it's not out long enough to counter spotdodges if it doesn't connect with anything, unlike the up smash.

However, the low cooldown is always nice and follow ups aren't too difficult.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
The other characters who have stronger jabs have jabs that don't lead into anything unless you jab cancel. They all knock their opponents too far away at freakishly low %s and they don't have the cooldown that Zelda's has.

If you miss it, you can pretty much instantly follow-up with a dtilt. It's possible to hit your opponent with a dash attack after it, too. It isn't the strongest jab, but I'll trade that for a non-weapon disjointed jab with low cooldown anytime.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
The other characters who have stronger jabs have jabs that don't lead into anything unless you jab cancel. They all knock their opponents too far away at freakishly low %s and they don't have the cooldown that Zelda's has.

If you miss it, you can pretty much instantly follow-up with a dtilt. It's possible to hit your opponent with a dash attack after it, too. It isn't the strongest jab, but I'll trade that for a non-weapon disjointed jab with low cooldown anytime.
yes.... Zelda has enough "OMG head for the hills" moves.... she needs moe strategic ones.... and jab is a strategic move

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
yes.... Zelda has enough "OMG head for the hills" moves.... she needs moe strategic ones.... and jab is a strategic move
Any move can be considered a strategic one. I'm pretty sure the two most likely followups have been mentioned, a dash attack and a grab. Everything else is pretty situational.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i don't feel like reading all of the posts so let me just say (hooping it was not already said) that her jab breaks through mk tronado. also it is not the worst move and just throughing it in there once in a while is ok but it is not great and since zelda has some fast smashes you should use th\ose instead. and for following it up that is something you need to decided in the moment maby try dash attack or grab

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I really fail to see how this move is useful. For a close range attack dsmash, dtilt, and naryus are better options, the only reason I could see to use her jabs is maybe to throw the opponent off every once in a while? *shrugs*

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I really fail to see how this move is useful. For a close range attack dsmash, dtilt, and naryus are better options, the only reason I could see to use her jabs is maybe to throw the opponent off every once in a while? *shrugs*
jab hits higher than dtilt and has less cooldown and more range than nayru's... the jab is underrated... it's not stellar, but it's a good move and it has low cooldown lag is th emain thing... a rarity among zelda's moves it's very safe. and the versitility of another move is always good.
True but if you have enough space in the first place, you could use an fsmash you know? Don't get me wrong I like the jab... it's just very situational.
well... jab has good range as well, less startup lag and FAR less cooldown lag... and, yeah.. it's situational... so I'm going to play jab heavy for a while to find out exactly what siutations this is best for... and then I'll mesh it into my gameplay after I figure that out... I just was hoping for some input as to when that is.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
I think you're missing the point. People are trying to say that regardless of 'less cooldown', the followup choices if you use other moves make the jab a less probable choice. Again, it can only be stressed as 'situational', and its not meant for heavy use.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I think you're missing the point. People are trying to say that regardless of 'less cooldown', the followup choices if you use other moves make the jab a less probable choice. Again, it can only be stressed as 'situational', and its not meant for heavy use.
I never intended to put it to heavy use... I'm just saying that one day I relized that I never used it and then tried it and found out it had some applications that gave it reasonable uses. I'll not plan on making this a keystone part of my repetoir, but it WILL be in my repetoir from now on because it does have uses.

Mindgames, if nothing else, are good for this move.

spam jab and it'll hamper a lot of low priority approaches... so your foe will probably try to counter by approaching with more priority or will try to break through the jab's rhythm then you can Fsmash their approach... because what they THOUGHT was going to be "jab jab jab jab" was REALLY "jab jab Fsmash"

It's not about working harder... it's about working smarter.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I sadly don't use her jab that much..
Smashes often works equaly good (or better).
And on top of that her Ftilt isn't very different from her Smashes (knocback & lag)
These three forward attacks together doesn't make Zelda very Versatile. :(

At least I could try to get the jab into my game a little more! =/

Oh god I wish her jab worked similar to MK's jab, but only forward instead of around her! Like a constant little flicker! (a)

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I don't use it too often, but when I do it's practically instinct to follow it up with a dash attack, and if it sends him up I SH Nair (or Uair at high %, if he gets high enough), and if it sends him sideways either another dash, a grab if he techs (which CPUs tend to do a lot more than humans), or a sliding Usmash.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
Because of this thread I've been paying more attention to my jabs and I realized a lot of the time where they are useful is due to how high the hitbox is. I almost always dsmash whenever I could jab and i get much better results. Now occasionaly a Luigi is floating down on you with an fair and I do a dsmash and it doesn't hit him but rather I get slapped. In this same situation if I use a jab it hits him and he takes some damage while I get unscathed. So depending on how far they are from the ground the jab might be able to protect you from an air aproach from your front better than her other smashs/dsmash. Depending on the angle a usmash might be the best move to use as well. This goes back to the jab being very situational. Hope this is useful info :)

psike

Smash Apprentice
Because of this thread I've been paying more attention to my jabs and I realized a lot of the time where they are useful is due to how high the hitbox is. I almost always dsmash whenever I could jab and i get much better results. Now occasionaly a Luigi is floating down on you with an fair and I do a dsmash and it doesn't hit him but rather I get slapped. In this same situation if I use a jab it hits him and he takes some damage while I get unscathed. So depending on how far they are from the ground the jab might be able to protect you from an air aproach from your front better than her other smashs/dsmash. Depending on the angle a usmash might be the best move to use as well. This goes back to the jab being very situational. Hope this is useful info :)
This is useful, thanks for the info.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
I luv Zeldas jab. I mean I like some chars better, but I dun think its horrible.

As said b4 it ownz low priorety (Spellcheck <) approaches pretty good. Today I simply jabbed through CFs Falcon Kick, Fair, and it outsped his tilts. Sooooo... yeh It prolly ownz everything of Falcons, lol.

I follow up like evry1 else.. DashAtck or Grab.

Dtilt a couple times 2 jab seems 2 work on taller chars? I think? Idk, I jus kno a few times I jab right over peeps, Im pretty sure, and that sure is anoying btw..

I may even like Jab more than Ftilt. Ftilt been gettn me punished alot lately. Mayb I suck. Idk.

Villi

Smash Lord
At percentages when d-tilt would knock someone into the air: D-tilt -> Jab -> Spike.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I enjoy watching someone shield the first jab-hit, only to be stuck by the second and third. The hitstun on each individual part of the jab is longer than it seems.

Denzi

Smash Master
I just throw it out at random times to try to keep my opponent off gaurd.
Often times I just seem to have better options.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
You don't see Zelda's jab being used much because the reality is that it's not that good. By jab standards, Zelda's got left behind in limbo.

The range is merely ok. It radiates outward now to its maximum range now instead of reaching that far from the beginning. Bad.

The hitbox is smaller, and is now stupidly high off the ground. There are quite a few situations where your enemy can simply duck under it and hit you. Bad.

It still comes out slow at 11 frames, and that's when it hasn't reached disjointed range yet.

The jab has little effectiveness past an annoyance tool. You can barely get a follow up on jab at low percents due to its low afterlag, but that's it. You have better options.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
You don't see Zelda's jab being used much because the reality is that it's not that good. By jab standards, Zelda's got left behind in limbo.

The range is merely ok. It radiates outward now to its maximum range now instead of reaching that far from the beginning. Bad.

The hitbox is smaller, and is now stupidly high off the ground. There are quite a few situations where your enemy can simply duck under it and hit you. Bad.

It still comes out slow at 11 frames, and that's when it hasn't reached disjointed range yet.

The jab has little effectiveness past an annoyance tool. You can barely get a follow up on jab at low percents due to its low afterlag, but that's it. You have better options.
yeah... it's not great.... but I'm finding it DOES have uses.

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
the biggest problem with it is that it comes out like 7 feet off the ground and doesnt hit any of the smaller chars i play against

Top Bottom