• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm trying to incorperate Zelda's Jab into the game more.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I was messing online today and I found it useful as a distance keeper on uneven ground.

I was standing on the edge of that Yoshi stage from Melee, on the tunnel, and I just kept jabbing and for quite some time the ICs couldnt find a way around it.

Obviously, and most likely, those ICs were just really stupid. But nevertheless, it may be worthwhile to test. The bursts come out fast and for characters with 0 range or projectiles, it could be effective.

All in all I have to agree with Ryoko. It looks like a cool move but in game play its really useless. If we have to struggle this hard to find a decent use for it, chances are it just doesnt exist.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
copy paste from my thread

i'm optomistic about this move

A jab, my friends, is a wonderful move.

It happened to be my favorite Zelda move in Melee... I don't think it's as good as it was in Melee (it would stop all forward ground approaches as long as you predicted the approach right.

The drawback with Brawl Zelda's A jab is its hitbox and poor damage... however it's much faster now and its hitbox is a little bit higher... so it can stop short hopped approaches. It functioned very well as a defensive move in Melee, but in Brawl it's a little more offensive.

Just bringing up the Melee reference for comparison ^_^

I like A jab because you can grab or Nayru's Love right after it... or if they block it or something, you can dtilt right away.

I saw people shunning this move simply because it doesn't have a follow up... but hey, besides dtilt it's Zelda fastest ground move, and a quick move like this certainly has situations where it is usable. Basically a "get out of my face" tactic.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
The jab appears to be good against enemies that rely on aerial games, since it hits higher and further then her smash attacks. Other then that it's only point is to refresh her other moves.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
it comes out quicker than ftilt or Fsmash... so in those occasions where you just can't get those other moves out in time, this is great.

also I've found jab to be GREAT in mindgames.

just mix up a random pattern of jabs and Fsmashes and no-projectile characters will have to make a leap of faith to get through to you.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I found that on platforms in Battlefield, you can jab, and they will slide off the platform in apparent cringing position, then you can quickly fastfall to f-air sweetspot.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
It can catch people off-guard if they don't believe you'll ever use it.

Indeed, it's very effective at disrupting a SH approach that gets under Usmash. Even if it can't outprioritize other moves, you should be able to trade. If it does hit someone in the air, it usually leaves them in a bad place, where you can then (take a step and) Usmash, get to safety, or Fsmash if they're slow to notice they've been jabbed - which, if you use this move sparingly and just in the right times, they really could be.

It's definitely never an offensive move. If you can earn a moment to Jab, you ought to build on that advantage, to land a more threatening attack. Cashing in with a jab is greedy and shortsighted, I'm quite sure.

You can also consider it to replace the ftilt when fighting heavy characters. It's quite the annoyance on characters that don't have good jabs of their own and weak/slow nairs and fairs, e.g., Bowser, Dedede. Notably, not effective against Ganon (except as a counter-hit to his whiffed jab, I guess).
I suppose you could also bait with it. It's really fast.

Good move. It's incredibly narrow, but it is a unique tool that gives something very valuable to Zelda in the right times.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Jabbing a Wolf at high% near the edge can give him hell!!
-Semi spiking him sort of..

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I mainly use it for shield pressure, I should use it more.
It really is great for shield pressure due to the fact that you can follow up almost immediately after. Fsmash and usmash eat shields alive but you can still be punished. I'm starting to use just this and dtilt exclusively for shield pressure.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
**** I forgot to post this last night!

I was playing someone on WiFi and I jabbed and somehow I managed to NL before they could escape. NL can be followed with a spike, but we were center stage, so nothing really interesting happened after that point.

Note: My memory is a little hazy. To the best of my recollection, it was a NL. It may have been an f-smash or possibly a dash attack.

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
Well I usually just d-tilt >> a >> either an u-smash or dash grab (usually dash grab you will get them either as the shield is up or just after they jump but if they always jump just u-smash the fool). Oh yeah if they shield all of it just grab they cant expect to know how long it lasts unless you spammed it.

At around 45 - 50ish I usually do an Farore's Wind in what ever will work (backwards, just at the same spot for mindgames or directly on to them).

I use this as a set up more so than an actual attack (because of its unique hitbox), watch what most people do after an a and you'll see how it can set up (well at least that's what works for me).

-Mars-

Smash Hero
She has so many defensive options it's not even fair. Against characters that actually have to approach you, your whole moveset pretty much aids you from ground approaches and aerial approaches...........and jab can stop both.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
oh I guess I'll mention since it's my thread and all: the jab is now a core part of my gameplay.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I use it, but I'm growing to hate it (because I've been using other characters with waaaay better jabs...)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I think D-smash would be a better choice, since it has a farther KB.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I've started using jab, dtilt and ftilt a lot more now, and they work a treat =D

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
I just use it to get enemies out of Zelda's zone of vulnerability.
Unfortunately, the jab also throws enemies into second zone of vulnerability because her jab out-reaches some of her main moves, and can cause her to push enemies far enugh away where she can't follow-up without putting her in some risk.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I discovered this morning that it's great to stop quick approaches.

I used to to halt Peach doing her *** bomb thing. I assume it might also work for Ike's forward B? Perhaps sonic's spin and jiggz' twirly roll attack.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Thats not the point. The point is for a setup. Dsmash doesnt set up anything nor is it safe if it misses.
Exactly, jab is a reliable poke move. If you whiff with it, there is almost no chance of you being punished.

Villi

Smash Lord
Unless they're already coming at you and you just did something stupid like jab at nothing.

Radarr

Smash Rookie
Today I was playing against a CPU just for fun, and started jabbing on Corneria's lower level. (Can't remember against who...)

Well, up against the wall, they couldn't get out. I'm not sure if this was just because CPUs don't Smash DI, but it could be an infinite against heavies.

I also remember doing it against a Bowser on Green Greens... the hitstun is enough that if they get hit against a wall they pretty much can't do anything with the insanely low cooldown.

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
For me, jab is really just for shield-stabbing when my smashes are decayed, or just a get-out-of-my-face move. It's never going to KO someone, so I consider it just a defensive surprise, though you might as well go with dtilt>dsmash instead...

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
For me, jab is really just for shield-stabbing when my smashes are decayed, or just a get-out-of-my-face move. It's never going to KO someone, so I consider it just a defensive surprise, though you might as well go with dtilt>dsmash instead...
Or in my case my jabs leads to spikes.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
There's something special about Zelda's jab - I don't know the technical lingo or whatever but it seems to have no cool-down lag when you follow up with another attack. Is this buffering?

Try jab > dtilt

The dtilt comes out as if jab never had any cooldown.

Also, I've noticed jab pushes an enemy back enough to get hit by the last attack of FSmash (works better at lower percents). I now no longer FSmash by itself but itself use jab >Fsmash. It's safe and act's like a longer FSmash in general.

Also... something very handy is jab > immediate hyphen USmash. If they spotdodge jab they eat the smash. If they shield, they receive tons of shield pressure from the jab and smash.

I havn't read all the pages, has the no lag thing already been said?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
it's also good for mindgames. BECAUSE it has no cooldown, you can follow up with anything as if it was never out. that's something rarely anticipated my the foe.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
They're not so much combos but anything can laglessly lead from her jab. It's actually working wonders for me.

Jab > FSmash is perfectly safe than simply just using FSmash.

Try:

Jab > Dtilt > Hyphen USmash

The jab pushes them back but they get caught at the end of a lagless dtilt, which trips them, and then she runs in for the USmash.

Or just mix it up. You want your foe to shield or spotdodge the jab so that she can follow up with no cooldown to another attack, such as a smash.

I now begin the majority of any attack with jab > ??? (whatever attack is necessary). They'll either get hit and pushed back by the jab, which can then be repeated, or they'll shield or spotdodge the jab and fall straight into the other attack, often a dtilt, in which they'll trip and get caught in Utilt or DSmash.

This is great stuff!

lil cj

Smash Lord
I guess u didnt see the vids i posted before when i jabbed someone offstage that lead to a spike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuEaAWD2vFY <- thats it there.

That was impressive NinjaLink!
Ive seen most of your Zelda vids
I cant believe I didnt see that one til now....lol
U hav a great Zelda i liked how u 3 stocked your opponent:)
I also watch your Lucas,Ike, and Diddy vids
Great stuff!

Top Bottom