• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you don't want to crouch, hold down and back, but there's not much difference either way.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Not everybody is a native english speaker.

Got 17th at my tournament last week ! Pretty lame, lost to a mk (tried the mk ditto and failed - literaly: 3 SDs.. ) and a rob. Again.
Me and my partner surprisingly did really good in doubles, getting 5th by beating people I never tought we could best. I went Mk though :I

At least this tournament fired me up instead of getting "depressed" over my bad placing.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Thats cool, blubo, Just polish up your Mk a bit and all could go better next time!
I didnt know we had any ROBs in europe though lol
Oh btw, I shall be at BBI2, I assume i can see you there?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So I'm conflicted.

Lately, I've been going all :dedede: in tournament and it works out pretty well. There's a few MUs (:olimar: :popo: ) that I just hate and want to avoid if possible. And I've found that Ike is really fun and fits my playstyle to a tee. I'm very read based/reactionary so Ike feels pretty natural. I'm just not sure how he stacks up to those top tier MUs. Its really just those two I hate I listed previously I don't like.

But I was playing people with Ike yesterday at the tournament and it was awesome. I just enjoy jabbing people and reading what they're gonna do next.

I'm wondering if its worth it to pick Ike up. I suppose if I find him fun it shouldn't matter. Im just kind of wondering from a practical standpoint.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ike struggles madly against Olimar. It's definitely his second worst MU after MK. There's just too much effort that's needed to get inside Olimar's zone, and then once you are inside, you have to maintain that pressure. All Olimar is doing in this MU is throwing pikmin, pivot grabbing, and basically camping the **** out of you.

Ike dominates Olimar once you get him off stage, but then you are playing a 50/50 game once he's coming back onstage. You have to anticipate either his whistle, air dodge, or an attack from him. Assuming you are getting ready to attack him with up-smash or grab, you have to be weary that you don't simply hit his super armor, or get hit by his attack.

Don't use Ike, tl;dr against Oli.

Against ICs, it takes experience learning it. Obviously, if you screw up, you get grabbed and gg. F-air is used more often than N-air in this match up. Be wary of IC using blizzard to stun you and run in for a grab. Platform stages help a lot, and you can actually anticipate IC's recovery and screw them over. I find that in this MU, you need a lot of movement and "fakeouts" to get ICs open. They are also going to somewhat camp and shield. However, you don't want to try and "read" by running in and whiffing a grab or attack.

Also, b-throw/f-throw to f-smash kills Nana easily.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike does better than DDD against Olimar, however main -3 > 2ndary -2

Ike has some stuff he can do to Olimar... If he can get it going.All you need to so is get Olimar in the air. Then its 50/50 guessing/predicting his whistles :[

Against IC you gotta show Popo how a real man handles his *****es by smacking Nana with your ****.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pretend to fall for the trap (they look alike, so Popo can be a trap) then write a few blogs about how you are not gay.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Played that ICs/Ike MU that you're talking about now and I asked about last week for the first time last weekend. It was an in-tournament introduction. I like it better than Falco, that's for sure. I got scraped game 3 by his pocket D3, but I can figure that out too so it's not free in the double blind.

The matches from that tourney should be uploaded this week (we upload all bracket matches at AL tournaments). If I could get a critique on that match in specific, that would be great. I would love to get some advice for other matches as well. I played Ike in all but four games. I beat that ICs/D3 game two on RCruise with Falco/D3. I ended up switching to Falco for games two and three against a Lucario player because I do not know what the hell Lucario is and felt like playing something I was more comfortable with in an unfamiliar situation after I lost game one. I also played P-1 with Falco in winner's on game two and lost. Aside from that, I played Ike and took 5th place, so I should have enough footage to get some solid feedback if I you guys are willing to help me out.

EDIT: I checked the Alabama Smash League Channel (hint: subscribe because it's a great channel for smash related videos) and, although they don't have a playlist up, they're actually uploading at least some of the videos right now.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I might post some vids up this week myself.

Also thanks for the MU advice people. I saw a video of Yoh vs HornZ from a recent German event and I'm like "this seems a lot more feasible than D3..." Although it looks scary getting right up in their grill and Jabbing them lol

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You really can't do anything to an Ike who has grabbed someone. He throws too fast (fthrow), pummel still works (knock people close by away) and can combo you still (bthrow)

benaji261!

Smash Ace
I watched an old video of me fighting Lee's MK last year in November. I kept watching me jump into tornados instead of shielding, and not using the grab as an opportunity to do more damage. I just had the reflex of fthrow afterwards and not the bthrow to dash attack.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You really can't do anything to an Ike who has grabbed someone. He throws too fast (fthrow), pummel still works (knock people close by away) and can combo you still (bthrow)
indeed, one of the few things that i love about this character
'i've grabbed your husband by the collar, watcha gonna do about it?'

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Fair wall ICs is usually the best route.. Although if you have an opportunity for jab or other moves take them so Fair isnt SUPER stale.... Space the fairs and if done correctly you won't be grabbed.. at least not easily.. If they try blizzard wall Fair will reach you just gotta space it correctly to get the outermost tip to hit or come from above a bit and you will most likely trade hits and blizzard will just cancel landing lag of Fair after you hit popo/nana

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@G~P We have 2 ROBs in france, none of them being top players but both of them good enough to be a threat to me. And I can't bring myself to use a secondary for a match-up I could definitly win :c

Yeah, I'll be at BBI2. I wish I could tell you I could house you, but unfortunately, it depends on my mother and I can't know yet. It'll be fun to see you again though !
Oh, and Yoh will be there too.

I've honed up my tech-skill a little these days, and I've been playing with aerial wavebounced side-B. As ike goes backward while still charging it, it can help disrupting spacing. Seems useless when using Side-B as a recovery though (so much quickdraws into airdodges when I tried it). Nothing game-breaking, as usual.
I've also been using Uthrow a lot more at high percents (~95%), as it doesn't send them as far as Dthrow does and seems like a better idea to create juggle opportunities.
Thoughts ?

Last point, Leon and Glutonny are both in the USA right now, staying at Keitaro's place until SKTAR. If any of you gets to play them, save replays ! (and show leon what a real ike is)

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I've also been using Uthrow a lot more at high percents (~95%), as it doesn't send them as far as Dthrow does and seems like a better idea to create juggle opportunities.
Thoughts ?
The Red-X is really good against me, because I start laughing really hard whenever someone uses it on me. >.>

But seriously, I'd use Dthrow. I would prefer to have them sent farther since it gives you more time to set whatever up.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
If they're above you, they're above you. Maybe if you've got platform play to follow it... I guess that's okay, but otherwise it doesn't matter how far they are above you. May as well just do more damage.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
At high %s, I just use bthrow, since it forces them to land with an air dodge or something, and they slide near the ledge. I suppose uthrow will be okay against some characters, though. Not used to using it...

Heartstring

Smash Legend
@G~P We have 2 ROBs in france, none of them being top players but both of them good enough to be a threat to me. And I can't bring myself to use a secondary for a match-up I could definitly win :c

Yeah, I'll be at BBI2. I wish I could tell you I could house you, but unfortunately, it depends on my mother and I can't know yet. It'll be fun to see you again though !
Oh, and Yoh will be there too.
Aye, Rob is a nuisance to anyone who doesnt hard counter his options

And thats cool, We've already got guaranteed housing with leon. But dem 3 ikes of europe! 3 man crews anyone?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
With Ramadan a week away or so, i'm gonna be on a lot less if not at all for the month

Going for a kill all desires month.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Wow. Doin' it raw.

It's funny. I've had trouble understanding fasting and deprivation. The way I see it, why not celebrate everything your god has given you? Then again, there are plenty of holidays in plenty of religions where you do exactly that, heh.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Won't that make all of your little sisters lonely?
I lost

Forever

Also @Brett

The while god has given a lot to us, we can't get too attached to this world (as its only a temporary life) and this action basically is to show that by his command we can give up everything for his sake. On a health benifit side, it also stops addiction.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
So this past Saturday I went to a tournament. And I have to say. Ike vs Zss isn't that bad honestly.

I got second to nickriddle. I won first set in grand and barely lost the second set in grand. What are your guys view on Zss?

:phone:

Top Bottom