• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
My first year classe dont start for another 2 weeks yet
However ive seen my timetable, Is it common to only be doin your major subject for 3 days a week?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Yup.

Also, first day of the semester for me (not the rest of the university-- I just skip syllabus day in every class nowadays, lol), and I'm already making a personal impression on all my professors. Straight As, here I come.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
First day of classes begin tomorrow for me! I always make sure I attend the first class as I feel it's the most important.

Taking 7 courses this semester (no bird courses). Hoping for straight 80s >_>

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well i missed my first class today sorting out my parking and then registrering for another class. Guess i should be happy its syllabus day

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Syllabus Day? For me, first days on some of the classes are pretty important regardless. I've had classes the last two weeks. It's going to be pretty dang busy, but it's not as bad as I had expected yet. Only 17 credits, but in one of my classes, I am making an operating system o_o.

My only exposure to brawl is practicing by myself in training mode once/twice a week or so, now that I actually fixed my TV.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Speaking of dubstep and how to make it better:

It's not at all full-blown DUBSTEP, but it uses the -idea- of that same sound, and my heroes have put it into its most perfect context thus far, in my opinion. They turn the iconic dubstep bass sound into a more static bass line with dynamic pitches and even a shift in the key at the chorus (which Muse loves to do). Put with a vocal melody/harmony (plus meaningful lyrics) and harmonic synth to round it out, it turns into a really nice and emotional piece of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUGGhM6XCSJFQ6DTRffnKRIw&v=Ek0SgwWmF9w&feature=player_detailpage

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I agree, And muse have always made decent use of that sort of effect, even before dubstep reached the public eye.
But if you dilute the distinctive dubstep sound enough to make it sound good...its no longer dubstep XD

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Back when I was still majoring in science, I had my fair share of teachers who couldn't speak as well as I'd have liked. Thankfully it was only first year.

I just memorized everything and did a lot of practise problems. A lot of college is self-studying anyway.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You guys make it sound like learning science from a book (assuming it's a well written book) is something easy.
You lost me. Are you implying that it's not easy or that it is easy, so long as it's well written.

Personally, I've always been able to learn out of the book. I would goof off in class or do homework. I'm in college and still doing it.

Your background in something seems to make a huge difference in how easy it is to learn. I'm taking this programming class with java as its base learning language, and I think it won't be a hard semester at all. The sort of stuff you do in writing a program it seems is really similar to simply thinking through logically and general problem solving skills. And those sort of skills are something I encounter all the time in math and physics I am doing. The only real barrier has been trying to memorize the programming language itself.

Also, I believe there is a lot of falsified difficulty. In college, you have to cram a ton of knowledge into a short space of time without much time to master it. There are a few classes I took which I think would have been much easier if I simply had the time to get more acquainted with the material. Although, due to time restraints and exhaustion (needing a break) I sort of only had enough time to learn the basic ideas without developing much mastery of any of the ideas. This might be countered by simply going for higher education. SO long as you are in a field with cumulative knowledge, you will be forced to master the basics before moving on or you'll get more chances to master it. I took a course in vector calculus. I passed the course feeling it was straining, but I never had any chance to apply it yet. In the coming months, I should be able to apply it and I bet I'll get around to being more comfortable with working with the ideas.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You lost me. Are you implying that it's not easy or that it is easy, so long as it's well written.

Personally, I've always been able to learn out of the book. I would goof off in class or do homework. I'm in college and still doing it.
I'm implying that, assuming the book is written well (who wants to learn from a poorly written book?), it can still be hard to learn. IMO, you're better off having a good/great teacher. If it was that easy for everyone, having a good GPA wouldn't be so hard in college. It's no secret that you have to study a lot in college compared to HS. If anything, those who got away with barely studying, yet were "smart" in HS can't do the same in college.

I have a problem with the whole education system in general, but that's another issue.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
^agreed, Although here, hefty studying has to begin at america's equivalent of high school. I breeze UK high school and thought i could do the same through college. how wrong was I. It also wasnt smart to select a college that would require a minimum of 4 hours total travel each day. But such is the issue of living in the middle of nowhere. either go to sixth form (college connected to high school) or travel miles. and sixth form was bascially the same thing as the school i had been at for 5 years prior, which i wanted to avoid.
Oh, and then i found out that i was 'disabled' which didnt help, could have done with the extra help before i started, not after XD

What do you mean by disabled and you found out o.0 Do you have to travel by driving yourself, or could you do reading/homework in public transportation?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
What do you mean by disabled and you found out o.0
note the commas around disabled. Its not like its a crushing disability. It's dyspraxia which is just shoddy co-ordination and balance along with other things (want to talk to someone in a loud place? fat chance). Had I have not taken such writing/note-taking heavy classes at college (and a hobby thats so heavy on correct inputs lol) I could have gone my entire life just being known as clumsy. The only reason i learnt about it was because my chemistry teacher suggested it to me after i couldnt ever keep up with the notes, and I mentioned that writing faster hurt my hand badly which just sorta suggested it to him.
tl;dr: A disability in the same way that ADHD is a disability

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I fit that definition of highschooler who got away with being smart. However, book learning always came easily for me and teachers in college are almost always there to ask questions (get an e-mail address). If you have a teacher who you literally can't understand, which is quite common, you really do need to learn to learn from the book and use them for clarification.

I had a Calculus Professor who was Middle Eastern, although I forgot what his actual descent was. In any case, it took me until the last month of the semester to figure out what the **** "Debt-treh-mihn" meant.

I have a problem with the whole education system in general, but that's another issue.
I've literally considered writing a book on the problems that a gifted student with ADD faces because of the educational system. Too bad everyone who can make changes to the educational system is already out of it and therefore largely unaffected. Yes, there are some who push for reform, but so many that push for either the wrong kind of reform or don't care at all as a major part of their platform. Education reform will never pull in as many voters as subjects you could push in its place.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My worst teacher was my Physics Lab one. He was a TA...who was Indian...lived in Colombia...and now in the states.

Imagine learning circuits, and EVERYTHING he points at, he labels it as "this guy". So at some point, "this guy" needs to be connected to "this guy", and "this guy" will make "this guy" work. Call him over for personal help, and he does the same ****. Safe to say that was one time I had to lean on the book and classmates.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I was a former biology major before switching to accounting, and honestly my science courses weren't really difficult or anything.

You don't need smarts or a good prof to do well in school. You just need self-discipline. If you ever need help, go to office hours. In my last semester (Jan-May), I took 10 courses (not kidding) and my average was still in the 80s. Pace yourself, manage your time, and plan everything well and you'll do just fine. I worked every Sunday (3-11pm, 45mins driving time as well) and still had time to enter Brawl tournies and attend smashfests :)

I noticed no one is really detailing the sort of classes they are having exactly. So, perhaps the difficulty is not really clear? In general, 100-200 levels courses are really just high school courses put at a faster pace in most cases from what I found. Its the course, maybe, 5 semester in that requires like 6 pre-required courses in a sequence that tends to be difficult. So much information that you have to have as background knowledge. Its feels like trying to be the pokedex expert, but with knowledge on another 100+ pokemon with each successive course. aAll sorts of base level classes tend to be read/hear info. -> memorize -> playback on hw/quiz/exam.

Its the higher level courses you have to take that background knowledge and start applying it which I think is almost super difficult if you forget something important. Then, you never see the light at the end of the tunnel.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
classes with good teachers are always fun, hey can I ask a question that I really need answered.....if I buy a Xbox 360 game (that's still out) on Xbox Live using either a credit card or Microsoft points, can I play it right away without the disc or am i buying a trial version of it?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You buy the whole game, don't need a disc. You can play it only on your xbox live name though. So the downside is not letting friends borrow it or playing it on other xboxes (though mever tired doing gamertag recover to see if you can dl the game on another xbox)

Trial versions are always free to download

C.J.

Smash Master
I noticed no one is really detailing the sort of classes they are having exactly. So, perhaps the difficulty is not really clear? In general, 100-200 levels courses are really just high school courses put at a faster pace in most cases from what I found. Its the course, maybe, 5 semester in that requires like 6 pre-required courses in a sequence that tends to be difficult. So much information that you have to have as background knowledge. Its feels like trying to be the pokedex expert, but with knowledge on another 100+ pokemon with each successive course. aAll sorts of base level classes tend to be read/hear info. -> memorize -> playback on hw/quiz/exam.

Its the higher level courses you have to take that background knowledge and start applying it which I think is almost super difficult if you forget something important. Then, you never see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Calc 2, Calc 3, Abstract algebra, Complex, 2 bio classes (3000 level), physics (3000 level), Eastern Philosophy (3 page essay due every day ._.), Stats, Speech (there two were easy, lol).

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
You buy the whole game, don't need a disc. You can play it only on your xbox live name though. So the downside is not letting friends borrow it or playing it on other xboxes (though mever tired doing gamertag recover to see if you can dl the game on another xbox)

Trial versions are always free to download
Yes, you can gamertag recover on someone else's Xbox and play the game still. Or just carry the hard drive to their place.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Last sem I took a whole slew of 2nd year courses but yeah some of them were pretty easy.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I can barely handle 4 classes at once, ffs. Computer Architecture, Operating Systems (theoretical), Operating Systems Practicum (really 1 class, just split into 2), Designing with Microcontrollers, and Software Engineering.

Top Bottom