• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Just to reiterate, nothing major happening, its still seeded vs unseeded (finals are september 9th) hoping to watch some upsets, did see men's 29th seed lose.. Watching Isner (9th seed) vs Malisse, so many calls against Malisse (its looking bias since Isner is USA and so many challenges where by Malisse were right)

Also i spectated some women's tennis

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I considered the Winter Olympics, but then realized that outside of Snowboarding, there is nothing else I'd be interested in.

In other words, waste of money.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Im assuming ussi is talking about tennis. Not a sport for me

actually...i only like sports during the summer olympics lol

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yes, yes i am

I witnessed Kim Clijsters last singles match (3 time US Open winner), now she retires o.o she lost to Laura Robson, in a clutch victory for Laura as she started the game 2-5 losing.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I like winter sports too :) I'm a fan of hockey, skating, and curling personally.

I loved watching Henin play but unfortunately she has retired.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
So, thoughts on Obama being on Reddit? lol.
Just another way to ensure his inevitable victory in the next election.
I don't doubt it actually gains him thousands of votes.

Though it is really cool. I like seeing him do "people things" when he's not on president duty. Going for a beer. Being seen somewhere for fun. It makes him relatable. And that fact is a big reason why I think he's going to win the election in convincing fashion.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So, thoughts on Obama being on Reddit? lol.
Smart choice. I wonder how many people are trying to troll him though

As my last note from my day at the us open, die hard fans are quite interesting to watch. I watch two guys cheer crazy for Marion Bartoli (she's from France) they would sing a song every break. Jump up at every vital point won

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Just another way to ensure his inevitable victory in the next election.
I don't doubt it actually gains him thousands of votes.

Though it is really cool. I like seeing him do "people things" when he's not on president duty. Going for a beer. Being seen somewhere for fun. It makes him relatable. And that fact is a big reason why I think he's going to win the election in convincing fashion.
If the Republicans harp enough about the economy not improving while Obama was in office, they'll win. Being on the internet does not counter balance people losing jobs and not seeing an improvement.

I doubt they'll do it enough because no party likes pointing at only one thing, but that's what they should do. Obama doesn't have much he can point at for the last four years. Only things I can think of is pulling out of Iraq (and back into Afghanistan. And he pulled out when the latest timetable from Bush before he left office said to. Yaaaaa...), SOPA not going through (hurray for only almost doing something that had a large negative outcry?) and Obamacare (which isn't exactly loved everywhere). The only card he has is trying to be as friendly as "trendy" as possible. Which is rather sad.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I've never voted because I don't like politics, but to be honest, I'd instantly vote for anyone who takes away tax exemption from churches.

One thing I like about Obama is that he doesn't treat USA as a "Christian Nation," because he actually understands that it ISN'T. He knows a lot about a lot of religions and doesn't let any of it affect his office decisions.

Maybe Obama hasn't created a lot of jobs, but here's something he said on Reddit that I like a lot:
----"I want to keep promoting advanced manufacturing that will bring jobs back to America, promote all-American energy sources (including wind and solar), keep investing in education and make college more affordable, rebuild our infrastructure, invest in science, and reduce our deficit in a balanced way with prudent spending cuts and higher taxes on folks making more than $250,000/year. I don't promise that this will solve all our immediate economic challenges, but my plans will lay the foundation for long term growth for your generation, and for generations to follow. So don't be discouraged - we didn't get into this fix overnight, and we won't get out overnight, but we are making progress and with your help will make more."

To be frank, it's the closest I've ever been to WANTING to vote in any US election.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I remember reading an study a while back that showed how much the rich hold off in taxes due to offshore banking. That sort of money could most certainly help their respective economies.

“The subjects of every state ought to contribute toward the support of the government in proportion to their respective abilities; that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state." Adam Smith. Wealth of Nations 1776

Edit: Here we go.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/23/563161/rich-hiding-21-trillion-tax-havens/

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I find it quite strange to view american government stuff from a third person view. I personally see obama being in again. but the fact that mitt romney has gotten this far despite being such a tool...I dunno, either way I fear for you guys, you have an even worse set of governing bodies than the UK, and thats really saying something

As for obama on reddit, that fine. but its definetely a last pull at getting votes, the internet junkies are the sort of people who have been threatened into hardship (by their standards of course) by sopa and everything similar, so to be addressed pseudo personally by obama may get him a couple thousand more votes.

tl;dr: I actually know jack **** about american voting and stuff, but I read things

also, romney is a tool for slandering UK and its olympics, It's like he wanted to get chibbed

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
One thing I like about Obama is that he doesn't treat USA as a "Christian Nation," because he actually understands that it ISN'T. He knows a lot about a lot of religions and doesn't let any of it affect his office decisions.
That's a laugh. Show me any President looking to be elected for a second term that doesn't let it affect his office decisions. Every move is calculated not to piss off the religious groups in the US. Upsetting the Christian groups gives the conservatives enough ammunition to whip their base into a frenzy and steal religious moderates. Upsetting other religious groups hurts his established voting base.

He doesn't talk about religion because he doesn't want to step on toes.

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
Blubo doing work! Marth is a pretty anoying MU lol.Taking game 1 from Leon is something really big bro!I need your AiM name if you have one Blubo!!!!

PS:I'm Kurei ;D

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
That's a laugh. Show me any President looking to be elected for a second term that doesn't let it affect his office decisions. Every move is calculated not to piss off the religious groups in the US. Upsetting the Christian groups gives the conservatives enough ammunition to whip their base into a frenzy and steal religious moderates. Upsetting other religious groups hurts his established voting base.

He doesn't talk about religion because he doesn't want to step on toes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_zssjFzpGs

Granted, this was a few years ago, but he's still right there.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@FlashyStyle Don't worry, I know who you are ! I just call people by their most recent nickname unless they desire otherwise. And no I'm sorry, I don't use AIM.

Just received an infraction from Nys, proving that flying bears don't weigh that much. Good stuff Nys !
(still need your input in the video critique thread though !)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I find it quite strange to view american government stuff from a third person view. I personally see obama being in again. but the fact that mitt romney has gotten this far despite being such a tool...I dunno, either way I fear for you guys, you have an even worse set of governing bodies than the UK, and thats really saying something
Well, every four years, you DO NEED another election, and while the Democratic Party is sticking with their current candidate (cause he's the President, duh), the other major group has decided to push Mitt Romney as their guy (courtesy of the people's votes during the run between him and other candidates).

As for obama on reddit, that fine. but its definetely a last pull at getting votes, the internet junkies are the sort of people who have been threatened into hardship (by their standards of course) by sopa and everything similar, so to be addressed pseudo personally by obama may get him a couple thousand more votes.
He answered about 10 questions. I know one person asked about Internet Freedoms going forward, and it was a rather generic/politic answer. But you can view all his answers right here.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/29/politics/obama-answers-10-questions-on-reddit/index.html

@Ryker, either he's really good at hiding his Christian Agenda, or he just doesn't care enough for it to influence his values. There's a reason why one makes jokes about George Bush being a "Crusader", and nothing outside of Obama being a "potential" Muslim has come out.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
@Ryker, either he's really good at hiding his Christian Agenda, or he just doesn't care enough for it to influence his values. There's a reason why one makes jokes about George Bush being a "Crusader", and nothing outside of Obama being a "potential" Muslim has come out.
That's because it's not on his agenda. If he could advance a Christian Agenda without upsetting a liberal voting base, then he would. If he could do the opposite without catching a staggering amount of opposition, then he would. I'm saying that he shoves both, which is letting religion affect his decisions in office. Not his personal religion, but the fact that the nature of the issue is such a powder keg causes him to steer clear of it. Republicans, however, know that they aren't pulling the vote from the people they are offending and stand to pull a few of the moderate, or even more left wing, voters on the subject of religion. As such, they are much more likely to show off how that consideration affects their decisions.

@Brett - That right there shows him campaigning, if I've read it correctly. Or did that happen while he was in office? Either way, that's not really showing any decision making. It's campaigning and done carefully to avoid stepping on the toes of potential voters (those who would throw him out of consideration based solely on that speech aren't voting for him either way).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't even understand why you posted what you just said. All Brett and I are saying is that he doesn't let his own personal faith drive his policy making. You're implying that the various religions in our country affects every politician's decision, which is an obvious "duh". The idea of democracy, and to extent the President is to represent the people. People are different, and faith is another variable in that. Obama IMO does a good job in trying to appease everyone when it comes to faith. Definitely better than our previous President, and from what I have seen in Romney.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
this goes beyond religion, this is just appeasing to the people. you can replace religion with something else and it'd be the same issue with appeasing people. Religion is just a hot topic to appease people with.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I don't even understand why you posted what you just said. All Brett and I are saying is that he doesn't let his own personal faith drive his policy making. You're implying that the various religions in our country affects every politician's decision, which is an obvious "duh". The idea of democracy, and to extent the President is to represent the people. People are different, and faith is another variable in that. Obama IMO does a good job in trying to appease everyone when it comes to faith. Definitely better than our previous President, and from what I have seen in Romney.
I don't see it as a feather in his cap when I've seen nothing to suggest that the reasons he has are to "better represent the views of the American public." That's what I'm getting at.

I'd be interested to see the results of a religion census in the US population, just OoC.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not sure if being disrespectful...or simply found it funny.

I don't see it as a feather in his cap when I've seen nothing to suggest that the reasons he has are to "better represent the views of the American public." That's what I'm getting at.
So what reasons do you think he is going on?

Top Bottom