• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Noge

Smash Cadet
Got 3rd at a tourney yesterday, 1st in doubles. We tried a funky new way of doing it, where we use 4-player pools to advance the loser's side of the bracket. Provides much better accuracy for results.

We did a crews battle after the tourney because we finished early, and there was a super-hilarious moment I want to show you guys, but it's not uploaded yet.

:248:
Gratz Nysyarc!

I dont know if anybody remember something about a scrub like me xD, last saturday I was in a spanish tournament, a lucas beat me, and I was better than him! -.-' there wasn't loosers bracket...
But after the official tournament I was first in a fast tournament! :D (matches of three lifes and just a game, without loosers bracket)
PD:I cant remove it

Noge

Smash Cadet
y, i know, but it was an event with many tournaments, and there wasnt time to do double elemination, they hadn't a lot of TVs and wiis too...

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I see.

Also, curse you EU!

I was going to sign a paper, and when I put the date, I accidentally did day first. That's what I get for hanging around so many EU-centric forums recently.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
at least it would have read 21/11/2011 so its obvious

why are all the good RPGs on the PS3

/wrist

oh crap Clannad is a visual novel!! I'mma play it.. crap do I play it first or watch the anime?!?!!?

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Sure play it if you want to spend hours upon hours upon hours upon hours to get the After Story ending (that is without guides of course). Even then, the normal routes are still long. The opening sequence doesn't even happen until like a month in the VN (can't remember when, but it's definitely not in the beginning). I'd watch the anime unless you have a lot of time on your hands. This is from what I hear though.

tl;dr VN is long. Not enough time? Watch the anime.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Is the after story one specific ending?

Cause the thing about animes of VNs is that they only play one route usually, and that's the probably the main route..

I played Eien no Aselia for 80 hours, i can handle very long VNs...

I'll probably still watch the anime after playing the VN

C.J.

Smash Master
After Story is a bonus ending (it's the main one) that you can only unlock after unlocking all other possible endings (is a REALLY LONG VN).

There are 2 random episodes that TL;DR some of the endings other than the main one.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
That works for me, I'd prefer to see every ending possible when I play the VN in detail than a TL;DR in an anime, i like to play without knowing what happens when i pick something.. I don't go back on what I pick unless i get a game over.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm the only one assumed (correctly, I may add,) that the ________ accounts for the proper number of "_"s per letters in the word "birthday."
Lmao, I figured you'd be the only one other than me who would think of that too, good stuff. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I'd put the wrong number of underscores.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I assumed but never consciously thought about it.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Nyke is very meticulous, lol. I actually didn't look at the post long enough to discern the underscores, I thought it was an underline. Silly me, always in a hurry.
:pinkiepie:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Scrutinizing Bored's posts often is how I manage to discover some amazing signature material. The recent post above is nothing short of this; I lost when I got to "Super gay."

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
This isn't YLYL, I should not be laughing this hard. You could say, Super Gayan 4? I'm sorry, I'm having way too much fun right now. Someone smite me.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I've a habitual tendency to do so since I've made him an addition to my signature multiple times, so I'm rather eager. If it's of irritance or concern, replace it with 'observe.' Thoughtful extrospection doesn't really equal scrutiny, so my apologies.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You know...adding unnecessary words simply make your sentences harder to read =/. Maybe you should consider toning them down? It's hard to register a sentence written by someone from the renaissance.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You know...adding unnecessary words simply make your sentences harder to read =/. Maybe you should consider toning them down? It's hard to register a sentence written by someone from the renaissance.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with this, debate forums on various sites have gotten the best of me. Due to your polite request, of course I can. <3

reEdit3: Guys, what's the difference between a knight and a barbarian? I'm confounded.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with this, debate forums on various sites have gotten the best of me. Due to your polite request, of course I can. <3

reEdit3: Guys, what's the difference between a knight and a barbarian? I'm confounded.
Well, I don't know what debate forums you hang out on, but any school debating competition would tell you spitting out big words is a key to failure. Especially in front of a judge.

Just look at it this way, if you are trying to convey a message to someone...is it better to sound educated and important, while the receiver does not understand any bit of it? Or is it better to become more eloquent in your matter of speech, and still remain persuasive, while the other person "gets it." Yes big words can make you look like you know what you're talking about, but it can also make you look pretty silly at times, and make you loose credibility in the process. Look at your latest post (yes, I've caught this in other posts as well such as "scrutinize".)

I've a habitual tendency to do so since I've made him an addition to my signature multiple times, so I'm rather eager. If it's of irritance or concern, replace it with 'observe.' Thoughtful extrospection doesn't really equal scrutiny, so my apologies.
"habitual tendency" Both words essentially mean the same thing. Habit = repeated behavior. Tendency = repeated behavior. Both words can be used to define one another, and you were better off leaving one of them off. "I have a habit to do" would be better. Essentially, I could say the same thing on a lesser level by going "I am itching and scratching" when both essentially mean the same. That doesn't mean synonyms can be used back to back. It's often used in comic relief, or when you are exaggerating a characteristic. "He was fumbling, bumbling, tumbling..." etc.

Zatch, I'm not hating on you at all, and you have the right to talk in whatever manner you want. I'm just saying 2 things...

1. Know when to toss in a "big word." Randomly tossing it in there can make the sentence look more complex and twisted. It should be going with the flow of the sentence. Example being...

Twisted sentence: "Enigma is a definition I oft strive to perceive myself in."
Regular sentence: "I consider myself an enigma."

2. If you're trying to convey a message, know your audience, know what's the best approach. Maybe in those debate forums, using high vocabulary is the best way to go, but it's not here. The way you talk, I would imagine a lot of people don't even bother reading your posts, let alone start ignoring them =/.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Agreed with Bored here, and I was considering pointing that stuff out to you as well Zatch.

When you're typing, you should be thinking about what words best represent what you are trying to convey, not the most obscure synonyms of them. For example, I just used the words "convey" and "obscure", which are not the most commonplace words in a public forum, and yet I guarantee you that nobody missed a beat reading and understanding them. They were also the most appropriate words for what I was trying to say; no amount of scouring a thesaurus would have provided better alternatives.

You first used the word "scrutinize" and then the word "observe". Under the circumstances you presented however, the word "read" would have been far more appropriate and thus easier to digest with the flow of the sentence. It's quite easy to appear professional and intelligent without resorting to obscure vocabulary.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I was aware of the mistake, but I was really lazy and didn't feel the need to correct it since I though people would infer. I feel as if I've done something reprehensible, mainly because I attempt to avoid long terms, actually. What I mean is I try and leave a good deal of my terms to solemn discussion, rather than everyday conversation, but I still manage to get ahead of myself a lot, and terms blot out their common synonyms for me. I'm too fastidious, need to stop and consider others.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I was aware of the mistake, but I was really lazy and didn't feel the need to correct it since I though people would infer. I feel as if I've done something reprehensible, mainly because I attempt to avoid long terms, actually. What I mean is I try and leave a good deal of my terms to solemn discussion, rather than everyday conversation, but I still manage to get ahead of myself a lot, and terms blot out their common synonyms for me. I'm too fastidious, need to stop and consider others.
From what I can tell, and I mean no offense by this, "fastidious" may not be the best word to describe what you seem to be going through here. Fastidious implies great concern for accuracy and detail, but you often use words that do not properly convey your intentions. Your use of the word "reprehensible" for example, does not seem to be the best suited to what you were trying to say. Even just the word "wrong" would have been more appropriate.

Also, in substituting "big words" for "long terms" (which is what I'm assuming you did), you raised significant confusion in a sentence that should have been very straightforward. The long term implies over a large period of time, far in the future. Thus if you use the words "long terms" synonymously with "big words", it messes with people's minds and skews the sentence beyond comprehension.

Your next sentence is nearly as convoluted, even though your intention in typing it was to clarify the first. What do you mean when you say that you leave a good deal of your terms to solemn discussion? "Formal" is a much more suitable word than "solemn" for what I imagine you are trying to say. "Solemn discussion" could just as easily mean "sincere discussion" or "serious discussion"... it's meaning is ambiguous when used without clearly defined context.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here. Typing to others, even in a highly formal and intelligent setting, is not about using the most obscure and impressive words you can think of. It is about being concise above all else.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I have a nice little question:
Why on earth is the Ike social chat so good at intellectual debate? Seriously this is the only place i go on that has a debate going on without seeing anything like 'OMG GO DIE IN A HOLE ******!!1!one!'
Which is astounding considering it's the internet.

Also, i see a luigi lurker

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Clearly it just has to do with the individuals involved. Ike mains happen to be more mature than 99% of the internet population.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Apparently so
Something I've just noticed, if the word '***' is censored then i look like i'm swearing whenever i talk about smoking, because *** is a slang term for cigarettes over here.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Finally at a computer.
[collapse= Within two hour recognition]
From what I can tell, and I mean no offense by this, "fastidious" may not be the best word to describe what you seem to be going through here. Fastidious implies great concern for accuracy and detail, but you often use words that do not properly convey your intentions.
I didn't mean just here, it's prominent on pretty much every board I've been on for the last couple of months. I have no doubt that my concern for detail and accuracy goes to rather questionable limits. What I mean is, it's arduous to satisfy myself, which is why I remain reserved more than half the time on every board. If you haven't noticed, I'm not a frequent poster. I even type prodigious, possibly poignant replies, and I delete it all as if nothing ever happened, and I just forget about what I was replying to.
What I appear to be doing here is augmenting something that I should have circumscribed, or at least made it less ambiguous.

Your use of the word "reprehensible" for example, does not seem to be the best suited to what you were trying to say. Even just the word "wrong" would have been more appropriate.
I'm aware of what I said, though. "Wrong" doesn't seem like strong enough a term for what I'm feeling, and I can admit that it didn't come to my mind at all, most likely due to the feelings I'm addressing. I feel like people here are going to look down upon me because I can't limit myself to simple terms. I feel like an idiot, and that people who reply to me are condescending. I don't express indigence, though, because I get why people would have these feelings, and I've tried to remedy the tendency, but it's fruitless.

Also, in substituting "big words" for "long terms" (which is what I'm assuming you did), you raised significant confusion in a sentence that should have been very straightforward.
My apologies. I just got a tad confused searching for a method of substituting "sesquipedalian." I should think more.
Your next sentence is nearly as convoluted, even though your intention in typing it was to clarify the first. What do you mean when you say that you leave a good deal of your terms to solemn discussion? "Formal" is a much more suitable word than "solemn" for what I imagine you are trying to say. "Solemn discussion" could just as easily mean "sincere discussion" or "serious discussion"... it's meaning is ambiguous when used without clearly defined context.
Again, I'm aware of what I said. "Serious." I completely forgot about that for some odd reason :( That was my intent in the use of "solemn." When it comes to "formal", however, I'm doubtful.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here. Typing to others, even in a highly formal and intelligent setting, is not about using the most obscure and impressive words you can think of. It is about being concise above all else.
I highly respect your genial admonishment (yours as well, Bored), but the point I'm trying to convey is I'm not (at least deliberately) trying. I'm not sure of where it came from, when it originated, or how to stop. I'm just, inclined toward speaking in some perceivable, (and evidently overwhelming) manner. It's been like this for a month or two, and I don't know who, or what, I attained it from. It's very, very agitating, even for me, and I can't help but use what others would deem as "big words", as if it's an unnatural propensity. I've got issues, I can comprehend that, without difficulty, but I despise having it burden others.

Only probable remedy I can conjecture is if I just, shut up. I'm not arguing anything, I'm just stating my contemporary thoughts, which have done nothing but accumulate light censure. Even thought I have no power over this whatsoever, I digress. And again, since it's probably been overlooked multiple times throughout my replies, my apologies, as I meant no contempt.
[/collapse]

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
People here are not going to look down on you, or perceive you in a negative light.

From the tone of Bored's and Nysyarc's post, it sounds like they are trying to provide some sort of constructive criticism instead of any attack on your person.

Overall, I wouldn't worry too much. Each person has his or her own preferred posting style. Heck, sometimes I write or word some things wrong on purpose.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Apparently so
Something I've just noticed, if the word '***' is censored then i look like i'm swearing whenever i talk about smoking, because *** is a slang term for cigarettes over here.
Your posts are just pure gold sometimes. hahahahahaha

@Zatch I'm more impressed that you bother to use those words than anything. Of course, learning to use them correctly would be a good idea >_> I can't remember the last time I tried to extend my own vocabulary.

@Ussi Taking my FE joke too literally =(

Top Bottom