• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Pivot grab is good against airdodge, but it's ESSENTIAL to be able to jab an air dodge ON REACTION if it comes out. It'll help you out a lot.

Being quick with hitconfirming your jabs also helps a lot.

I also need to take some notes from Mr. Doom and use smash attacks near the edge more often.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
@Title: If Brett gets to be Bored, can I be San?

I love pivot grabbing Wario. It's just, most of our options out of the grab release are better suited for KOing, imo. What would you guys keep fresh? I'd probably keep Utilt as my fresh move, unless the stage has platforms that I know can interfere, then I'd have Bair fresh (enough), instead.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
@Ussi - Both. It covers you for a little bit if it pushes them off stage, and you can get a good read and put the hurt on them if they try to airdodge back onto the stage. Or... You could hit their shield again and knock 'em back onto the ledge.

The other reason, you falling off stage, if you face towards the edge while doing usmash, you can buffer a bair as you fall off and either poke their shield or chip it away some more. Do that enough times and people will start to wet their pants. I can understand if it's a hype match, but still...

Okay, this has started to bug me lately...

Is it just me, or does almost EVERYONE try to FSmash after hitting with a Fair? Especially after a string of hits, like what Mr. Doom did to BSL on his last stock. The FSmash just always seems to come after a Fair o.O
I dunno. It just seems cool, I suppose. You can do whatever you want. I just happen to auto-cancel fair after hitting my opponent and can either f-smash or u-smash.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
@ Ussi, more the first just so you can grab the ledge.

I find fairs to be easier when pushing a person's shield offstage but of course there's room for usmash there, too.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
@Title: If Brett gets to be Bored, can I be San?

I love pivot grabbing Wario. It's just, most of our options out of the grab release are better suited for KOing, imo. What would you guys keep fresh? I'd probably keep Utilt as my fresh move, unless the stage has platforms that I know can interfere, then I'd have Bair fresh (enough), instead.
Don't forget Ftilt. Honestly, I have so much fun just being able to GR->followup that I don't even keep track of what to keep fresh. Just jab to refresh. >_>

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I know Ftilt's there, it's just harder to think of than Utilt in many situations unless you're playing on some stage that can have close sides, like Delfino. Also, is AR > Nair legit on Wario? In March, I always did it while trying to Bair, and it managed to hit each time. I like aerial chases Nair sets up, so just thought I'd ask.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can dair I guess.

I usually do the bthrow dash attack anyways to get Wario offstage.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I usually do the bthrow dash attack anyways to get Wario offstage.
I'd only do that if he left his bike on-stage (which he shouldn't be doing, but can happen). Otherwise I think the free damage from pummeling a bit -> GR follow-up is more worth it, plus pummeling will refresh stuff. On SV they may wait for the platform to grab-break, giving you plenty of free pummels... until they figure out you like to pummel, but then they grab-break early and you get a free whatever.

I prefer to use Utilt and Bair for damage, mostly Utilt, and keep Ftilt fresh for KOing since I pretty much never use Ftilt for anything else anyways. Bair I tend to use only at low percents so I can try to follow it up.

:248:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Does f-tilt have more ko potential than b-air? And I take it you have to angle f-tilt up in order to hit Fart Wario, right?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think the angle doesn't matter for killing, but angled up to hit at all out of grab release.

I think bair is better at sending wario at a bad angle if they expect utilt.

:phone:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I think bair is better at sending wario at a bad angle if they expect utilt.
I dunno, I think they're about the same and if anything Ftilt would have a more horizontal angle, I've seen people DI Bair and end up going more vertical than horizontal, but I've yet to see that happen with Ftilt. Plus Bair is generally an overused move (not without good reason) while Ftilt will very likely, and definitely should, be fresh.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've seen pat g angles when people got hit by bair :x

Plus bair is harder to anticipate when it comes to the hitbox coming out.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If you buffer a turnaround then Bair, it's not something most would expect. I've gotten a Wario to SDI straight down on Bair, expecting Utilt. I took his first two stocks with Utilt, so I can assume those played a role in what he was expecting.

I also finally got the Bthrow > Fair KO on SV's side off the moving platform. Killed at 70-something.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I watched an old wifi biweekly match between me and redx...

Redx needs to stop dying to bthrow > dair lololol

Its like ya AD expecting DA but in comes walk off dair.. Well that soundes better, i dair'd him before SAF on aether happened.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
All about conditioning the player to expect one or the other. I always start out by repeatedly doing up-tilt, and then try to get a GR followed up with f-tilt.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Ftilt is better for KB...it sends at the same angle as Bair does, has a higher BKB, and does 1% more damage, which contributes to an overall greater KBG(that data thread is useful!) Not to mention Bair will probably be more stale than Ftilt.

And its probably just me, but the last tourney I went to I got 2 stocked by a luigi in winners...had to switch cause it wasn't working out. I'm sure I was prolly doing something wrong lol.

And happy birthday! :D

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
All about conditioning the player to expect one or the other. I always start out by repeatedly doing up-tilt, and then try to get a GR followed up with f-tilt.
Yes. This.
Ftilt is better for KB...it sends at the same angle as Bair does, has a higher BKB, and does 1% more damage, which contributes to an overall greater KBG(that data thread is useful!) Not to mention Bair will probably be more stale than Ftilt.

And its probably just me, but the last tourney I went to I got 2 stocked by a luigi in winners...had to switch cause it wasn't working out. I'm sure I was prolly doing something wrong lol.

And happy birthday! :D

Just FF Nair all day, lol.

And thankies. =D
Happy birthday

You're life so sad its funn- *shot*

I know... it's inevitably coming...

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Happy birthday Brett! Have a good one... or three, or four, or five (referring to cakes, not your birthday, although have a good one too).

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Well, I have only my first of two cakes right now. One that I request from my family every year-- buttermilk cake... so good. It'll be gone by tomorrow... sometime in the coming week, I'll have my fiend make the next cake and when I go to pick it up, I'll take a picture.

San, what a I checking Steam for?

And thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. They're all appreciated. =]
Oh, how old am I now? I'm 21 starting 3:01pm Central time... 2 hours and 46 minutes from this post.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
This is just what Crapcom does.

It's up there with Activision and those other sleazy developers in screwing over their fans/consumers.

They also added a new Mega Man Legends stage, but canceled MML3 for the 3DS.

They also added Phoenix Wright, but refuse to release Ace Attorney 2 in the US.

Top Bottom