• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I drive, i have my own car, i have a nice finished basement that has a sofa bed that fits 2, a twin bed, and a queen bed (in a room though), sadly only 1 TV but an old 50 inch plasma and parents who said its fine if i ever had a brawl smashfest in my basement.

Oh look a perfect Ike housing spot

:phone:
You forgot one detail: New Jersey. :troll:

Also, GP, if you're gonna be in Baltimore then, there's gotta be a MD car pool going to Apex.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Mentioning about my cousins could possibly take a post longer than people would be interested to read. So instead, I'll just say that have about 50 cousins on my father's side.

To anyone still uploading videos, keep it up! I try and watch a few every week, it amazes me how fast you guys make Ike look.
Ike may have relatively slower dash and air speed, but his moves are not what people always associate them with: Slow. Ike has a variety of different attacks, all of which contribute differently to speed and power. For example: Ike's jab is the fastest move (frame 3) but it cannot kill on it's own. On the other hand, Ike's forward smash has over half a second of startup frame, but can kill people as early as 40 or 50 if they do not DI (excluding heavyweights, which make up a minority of the cast). I would not label Ike as slow. He has some really good moves that in combination well balance out his speed and power. The only issue which he has is recovery. Ike would have had a potential to be high or top tier if only his recovery was better than as is now.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Ryo, good to see you here again. You don't visit enough.

Also, I like how we've had 2 or 3 new players post who, albeit they haven't mentioned the guide we've made, have obviously taken a look at it.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
To anyone still uploading videos, keep it up! I try and watch a few every week, it amazes me how fast you guys make Ike look. Feels like I'm playing Ganondorf by comparison.

I'm getting the hang of the RAR (turn around b-air), scoring more d-air spikes and getting the hang spacing my fast falling n-airs. I think I'm going to borrow my brother's Wii since he hardly uses it anymore.

For anyone who has uploaded videos or still is, I really appreciate it. I was such a crappy Ike player before. On the slow road to improvement now....
We should wifi sometime. I bet you're not as bad as you think you are.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
Sorry about not visiting was dealing with some stuff. But I've been improving for my next tourney I'm gunna journey to.

But anyway I'm seeing a little bit of change in match ups. The Martha match up I really think is 55 45 or even I don't know its just all Marths I've played I've beating.

I'm gunna upload videos soon I hope because I'm gunna show how well platform canceling is for Ike. Seeing in tournament I use it and it works magic.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
seriously, ike vs marth is 55-45 marth or even? wow. personally, i don't think it a hard matchup but marth certainly has more effective zoning options plus faster attacks. i would really like to see how you get around his zonings. i have difficulty doing that.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
If you're close enough to the ledge and if you believe Marth is going to counter, reverse Up+B. Marth will turn around when he counters. I'm not really worried about counter shenanigans. It's when he either tipper f-smashes you as you rise up or when he drops down and forces you to Up+B. If he does it correctly (which I've seen some local Marth players do consistently), Marth will Up+B and snap the ledge before you get to it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can aether slightly diagonally below the ledge, or slightly under Marth so you can hit him while rising. If Marth gets hit, he's getting gimped/punished. It's a gamble for Marth to do that offstage stuff.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
But Ryo, there is no good Marth who can show his true potenial so we have to theorycraft on how amazing Marth's moveset is compared to Ike's

/lolmarthmains

Marth is bad, Mikehaz lost a game to an Ike player i never heard of.. Lo

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Marth's Upb is his only bad move if you ask me. >_> That move sucks, but you're forced to use it. =/ san knows how much I hate it lol.

Also, can't Marth spike us out of Aether by using the back part of Dair? I feel like it's supposed to be easy for Marth to edgeguard us, but too many Marths just sit back and Counter/try to punish us getting off of the ledge (myself included as a person who just likes to play Marth, not necessarily in tourney).

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can. You have to be above Ike to do it since it's hard to just run in from the side. A lot of characters can attempt to spike him.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Ike's aether is pretty easy to gimp, You only go one direction and it's just vertical but at a fast speed, If everyone had good timing and a move that could reach ike without getting themselves hit then ike's recovery would be proven to be one of the worst..Isn't it in that category already though? :o

Point is you have to be creative or adapt or your aether will be edgeguarded or gimped. Atleast thats what i've learned. :/

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Aether is actually difficult to hit if you aren't hovering above him and you don't have Ike ranged attacks.

The spinning sword sweeps up deep into the stage, then you can retreat away to grab the ledge if the opponent is onstage.

Not many moves can easily hit Ike, and they're all easily DI-able.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Yeah, Aether has a glaring weakness if you're able to hang around above his head, because you just catch him as he jumps up to grab his sword. But it's still easier said than done.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
The moment you Up-B you can get a good safe landing but it doesn't hit or if they powershield then you might be in trouble and depending on the situation if you need to grab the edge or if you land on the stage you might be in for some bad punishing, I always tend to wait in the air if possible or Down-B to buy me sometime and fall slower incase they try to edgehog in which i'll use down-B to wait off the invincibility frames.

Any tips or is that good?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
DownB is only safe near the top of the stage. Do it anywhere else and most characters can just double jump and attack you. The most practical use for this is to use downB after momentum canceling, so you don't fastfall when trying to recover.

Aether onto the stage isn't so bad against characters 100% or greater.
If they're under 100%, it's hard to stay on the ledge for aether's full duration unless you grab the edge right when aether is starting.

I doubt we'll be getting hit as much as something like Snake, DDD, or DK's recovery, and Ike is almost as heavy.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you're close enough to the ledge and if you believe Marth is going to counter, reverse Up+B. Marth will turn around when he counters. I'm not really worried about counter shenanigans. It's when he either tipper f-smashes you as you rise up or when he drops down and forces you to Up+B. If he does it correctly (which I've seen some local Marth players do consistently), Marth will Up+B and snap the ledge before you get to it.
Well what you said about reverse aethering is just you making a good read. The Marth could read that right back and F-smash you since you're so open while reverse aethering.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
going back to marth. he is most definetely a character that europe is much better with than america
we have 3 top marths, probably of a higher standard than mr. haze.
i've played one of them in pools, it was not nice.

anyway, marth is my best matchup personally, but i wouldnt put it as 55-45. i would say its 60-40 his favour providing both people know how to play the matchup. once we go offstage, we have to make one hell of a hard read to get back (providing we have to use up-b) as marth can just toy with us if the ike player doesnt effectively recover creatively.
and if they space f-air well onstage, our jab wont reach, and even if they do they can land an up-b. which is (personally) why i like to take marth to stages with no or few platforms. my personal thoughts is that smashville is an ideal location. most will strike FD on us. theres no guarantee that the plotform will be there to save them from a fsmash to puncish an up-b

this ism y opinion though, i play agaisnt marth way more than i should

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
But I also have had mad amounts of marth practice. I've played against neo ( mlg ) kadja, chase, and many marth where I'm from. Playing marth was tough but there are ways around him.

Fair while good for spacing but for me is very situational, while nair is great since it does have the range of his fair.(Marth btw)

And I think Ikes bair does wonders in the match up. It's great for punishing and out side of that just is a **** move in the match up. I personally use it as mix ups after nair. if they do approach you get a great hit and damage.

I will update after I swim for a moment.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There is a reason i think bair is Ike's 2nd best move. Bair can do anything from approach, retreat, and kill while maintaining a safe position.. It even combos at low %'s bair > jab which has an ftilt mix-up

The 3 things nair has over it are more follow ups (utilt/bair follow up), 9 frame landing lag, and long lasting hitbox.

Its tough to call but bair netting kills is such a big deal.

Luckily jab is good at refreshing our moveset~

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
lol ryo texting while relaxing near a pool.. :D

bair is awesome nuff said.
nair is awesome nuff said.
Jab is awesome nuff said.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
I'm starting to understand when to spike marth out of his up b. One thing I've been taking advantage heavily on the rco lag if they roll on stage I throw them up in the air to make them receive the lag and abuse the fact they can't retaliate.

Since they receive more lag when not jumping up on stage. Too good.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
UpB is such a bad move for recovery, though. Why take extra effort to spike him when you can just force a gimp or just punish by grabbing the ledge and making him land onstage.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I went to a tournament yesterday and I didn't do bad! I went mostly Ike, but I did use Pit in about a third of my matches.
I had to fight two good olimar mains in a row D:
I went pit for the first and 2-0 him. the next ione 2 stocked my pit so I went Ike+fregate on him, and went bthrow>dash attack offstage on the right part of the 1st transformation+punish recovery.
Then he cp-ed FD and I lost my last stock at 40% cause I got stupidly stagespiked by his UpB >.>
I think I got 13 or 17 out of 70.

About the marth match-up... it's hell if you don't kill him as early as he gimps/edgeguards and tipper fsmash you.

Top Bottom