• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Last few Olimars who CPd me to FD I 3 stocked lol.

I just do better vs Oli the higher the ceiling, usually.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'd still infract you if I was a mod =)

But seriously though, I feel like this whole summer has been filled with the site being down, hacked, or being slow.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
You come back at really random times, Kirk. Then again, if it were predictable, it wouldn't be as cool.

Only Marth main around here is my roommate... who quit the game well over a year ago.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I try, its all I'm good at.

I saw Mr Doom at a tourney a week ago. Didnt get a chance to play cause I dont know, stuff just seems to work out that way all the time!

Kirk

Smash Champion
I have my on/off streaks of playing brawl, getting back into it again. Job and life and new house and you know how it is. Though kinda sad that my Bowser is performing better then my Ike nowadays. Dunno what I'm to do!

:phone:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Looking back on most of my vids, I'd like to thank you all on helping me improve. I don't think I would have gotten where I am now without help from you guys (although I've still got a ways to go, haha). Anyway, I have the timing for my RAR down, but apparently, there's some time (I'm assuming it's during the start-up frames of jumping?) where if you hit Bair, the jump glitch occurs (on tilt stick setup). If this happens, I normally air-dodge into the ground and proceed to throw out Bair. Normally tends to work, but not as much as I'd hope, since the glitch is becoming common for me.
I also like using Counter to disrupt momentum during momentum canceling. Anything good or bad about that? I'm normally too far out to get punished for using it in that manner, save for some projectiles (maybe). If anything, I am definitely using Nair a lot more in my play. Like, wow. I switch up my use between the A button and diagonal on C-stick for Nair.
I'm still practicing the timing for Jab > Bair. Anyone have the inputs for this? I do Jab > buffer turnaround > greet-to-retreat Bair. (Greet-to-retreat means weave in then weave away during the Bair.)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
@ Kirk- I don't know what to say about your Bowser doing better than your Ike, lol. It's odd, to say the least. But hey, you have a solid character for low tiers. Just like I have my Zelda.

@ Zatch- Don't use counter to cancel momentum, because it actually pushes you further in whatever direction you're going before it stops you. We've tried everything considering b-reversing and wave bouncing it to use it to our advantage. It just won't work.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Jab>bair is kinda like: A,qcb~J~F+A or A,qcb~J~CF.

A - Attack
qcb - quarter cycle back
~ - input next move asap
J - Jump
F - forward or towards opponent
+ - perform simultaneously
CF - Cstick forward or towards opponent

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Jab>bair is kinda like: A,qcb~J~F+A.

A - Attack
qcb - quarter cycle back
~ - input next move asap
J - Jump
F - forward or towards opponent
+ - perform simultaneously

*****Double Post courtesy of SWF*****

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm really starting to like boost pivot grab as a mixup to retreating bair in most cases except reverse aerial rush up close.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Retreating.

@ Brett

Do a pivot grab, but instead of just Z or whatever you use, flick the C-stick at the same time. I make sure to at least hit Z first or around the same time in order to prevent a dash attack.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
San, doesn't it work with attack and grab at (almost) the same time? It's how I do mine. However, when it comes to Bthrow CG, I can use Grab with C-stick down (for the instant DA).

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I try, its all I'm good at.

I saw Mr Doom at a tourney a week ago. Didnt get a chance to play cause I dont know, stuff just seems to work out that way all the time!
That was my fault entirely. I had volunteered to drive up to the venue overnight because some people didn't get off work until after midnight. When I got up there I wasn't feeling well at all. I did try to go to sleep so that I'd be rested for the tourney, but I kept waking up.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
San, doesn't it work with attack and grab at (almost) the same time? It's how I do mine. However, when it comes to Bthrow CG, I can use Grab with C-stick down (for the instant DA).

It probably does due to the nature of the C-stick, but I never really tried to use it that way.

Also, I found a deal earlier today, hopefully it comes through.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, you have a habit of going to tournaments and not playing the other Ike players there.

@Bored, yeah they're going to refund everyone tomorrow. Worth it anyways.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
One of these days DOOM! We shall play one of these days!

[collapse="Really, Kirk? I figured you'd know by now, or maybe you did that on purpose. Either way..."]
[/collapse]

@San-san: Less than $20 for a 3DS? lol If it's too good to be true, it probably is. However...

And that's not too good to be true.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Wow, this boost pivot grab backthrow infinite is tough.
I'm having trouble doing it more than 3 times in a row.

I'm probably a good 10-15 minutes practicing it and my record is 6 in a row, but I'm getting more consistent... actually I'm a lot more consistent than I was when I wrote the part about having trouble for more than 3 times in a row. And now I'm losing it because I'm trying too much. We'll see how I do later tonight or tomorrow.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Has anyone ever done this in tournament, recently? This boost pivot grab... I'm not seeing the reason to practice it. All of my opponents sit next to the fire, chewing on S'mores.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Has anyone ever done this in tournament, recently? This boost pivot grab... I'm not seeing the reason to practice it. All of my opponents sit next to the fire, chewing on S'mores.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri1kPVKV18w&feature=player_detailpage#t=366s
It helps in situations where you don't have time or to run and get momentum to do a far-sliding pivot grab. Also helps with getting that pivot grab range without having to worry about little ground spaces, which is where the Bthrow CG comes to mind.

Edit: Guys, I've come to love seeing Jab 1 > Jab 1 and RAR Bair.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
This is a reason to practice it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhmJRnYpWg&t=319s

Do it better than I did on your first try, and they'll stay away from that part of the ship if they know what's good. And that's good positioning =)

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I did it in tournament last week-end on delphino. It was free %+ bthrow as the stage went up, messing with the guy's recovery.
I found the cg easier if I thought of it as a regular bthrow>dash attack "+shield."

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You just backthrow someone against the wall, and then run past them and pivot grab to grab them again. So you don't bump into the wall, after the kick part of bthrow hits someone, just input dash -> pivot grab + attack (I use cstick) to boost pivot grab since you won't collide with the wall like that.

On Bowser you can just turn around and grab.

If you have trouble with the CG, you only need to do it a few times before you can followup with more %.

If you don't feel like doing it anymore, you can:

regular grab to bthrow+dash attack

jab1 lock on the walls/jab in general (if the wall is short they'll get out quick if they're not Fox or something)

Utilt/Ftilt (dtilt?)

bair

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I should've been more specific. Is this boost pivot grab similar to Falco's, only that Ike doesn't slide nearly as far?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yes, it's the same input for every character.

At first, I thought Ike slides too far. I'm starting to look at it a bit more recently.

Top Bottom