• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Hello ike mains. I've been thinking about picking up ike as a secondary.
So what are ike's pros & cons on playing him?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Americans are lazy so they don't like to practice as much as the Japanese
same sort of scenario for europe bar a few exceptions (myself being one, my playtime is the highest in the uk yet still one of the newer members)
but i honestly reckon its a case that **** are naturally better at stuff like that anyway

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Hello ike mains. I've been thinking about picking up ike as a secondary.
So what are ike's pros & cons on playing him?
There is a guide.

Anyways short story;

Pros
Long reach and disjoint
Supreb killpower
Heavy punishers
Strong anti-aerial game
Long lasting nair/uair/dair
Jab
Throw combos up too 80~100%
Good fast fall

Cons
Limited to jab and aerials mostly
Hard to recover with
Juggle-able

Um.. Cons are short but a big deal

•Col•

Smash Champion
So.... Thinking about dropping Ike. D:

Just feel like I can't get any better with him and go into auto-pilot mode whenever I play as him... Feel the same way while playing as Marth, but I at least know with him that I have a bunch of stuff I can still work on...

I dunno, maybe I'll just stop playing Ike for a while and come back to him at a later date.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Wifi saves me from Falco anf DDD CGs :p I just hold A and hope they didn't buffer the grabs correctly. If not I just try and have sucky SDI like Mr. Doom. I actually managed to SDI onto the stage from a Falco dair spike two or three times. If possible on Wifi then even moreso offline. It's even funnier to SDI up cause it looks weird like: "WTH? Why didn't he go all the way down?".

Heartstring

Smash Legend

Just feel like I can't get any better with him and go into auto-pilot mode whenever I play as him... Feel the same way while playing as Marth, but I at least know with him that I have a bunch of stuff I can still work on...

I dunno, maybe I'll just stop playing Ike for a while and come back to him at a later date.
do it, honestly do
i dropped him for a bit and used rob. an equally average character with completely different pros and cons
made me appreciate everything ike can do so much

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I think I'm considered an Ike/Falco main thanks to the PA rankings, even though I got the wins that made me eligible through Ike.

But I'll still tell you you're a nub, Colaya. And to pick up Sheik. But no worries on the latter, I will beat Sheik into you by the end of this weekend =)

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I'll also point out that Zack Fair would never give up. Makes you a bigger nub D:<

Ussi, seconding Pika is like....Maining Ganon. People think you play other characters anyway. >_> Unless you're Verm.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I want to try playing with tap jump off on my scheme. I have some questions, though:

What benefits/detriments come with this transition?
Do jump cancels become harder?
Are there any things with Ike that I cannot do without Tap Jump on?

I can Aether without using my second jump, but sometimes it takes frame time I need. Like when I FF offstage. Also, what part of my controller would be best mapped to jump?
I currently use Y on Shield, Dpad on attack (for mashing from grabs), Tilt stick, and everything else is default. I very often use X to jump, but only when I'm trying to full hop something or footstool. Even then, it feels weird to use it for much else, let alone primary jumping. I feel L trigger could work for me, but I just thought I'd ask for some opinions.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
For you guys information, Ike would've had a noble lineage in Radiant Dawn; but he preferred to show no sympathy to nobility.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Use the shield trigger you don't shield with (for you, the L button)

I'd recommend removing springs so you don't waste frames pressing down the button

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I haven't completely dropped Ike, yet. He's on my bench now. And I refuse to do Ike dittos. You guys should know the D3 match-up when you play against me.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Use the shield trigger you don't shield with (for you, the L button)

I'd recommend removing springs so you don't waste frames pressing down the button
Hm, don't the springs push the trigger back into position? Also, I randomly use R, L, and Y to shield. Depends on the situation. I can honestly say I'll adjust if I have to use L to jump. I use Y for a majority of my shielding, including techs, shield dashing, and powershielding. R is situational, but when I can't think right (or I want to spotdodge or something), my mind goes back to my '10 gameplay, and I subconsciously use R for shield input. So long as I know the option is present.
If you believe it'd help, I can remove the springs to my controller(s). I'd need a tutorial on how to do so.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You need a nintendo tri-wing screw driver. Worth $2-5 online.

Its not nessessary, but its such a bother to me how long i take to press down L and R

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
How boring

Now there won't any hype Mr. Doom vs San. Ike dittos

And if he's on bench, you're using D3?
Him and other characters. I picked up ICs because of 9B, D3 because of Atomsk, and Snake because of Ratman and Karmacide. I can use Marth, Falco, and Lucario, but they're all trash because I haven't really sat down and played with them.

D3 is more of a doubles character for me, but I'll switch to Ike if need be.

Truth is, I just don't like Ike dittos. That's one match-up I'm not familiar with at all. And lag-fi sucked so bad for me that I dropped from the wifi biweeklies early on.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
The trollface completely drains the funny lurking in that post. For some odd reason, I wanted to laugh, but then I saw that littlle bugger. I dislike the ditto myself. You'll only find me playing the ditto if it comes to it in an offline tourney, where I only play Ike.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Why so obvious?
That's why I don't like to use it...then people know I'm trolling, and no one gets pissed off.

That's why I don't like to use it...then people know I'm trolling, and no one gets pissed off.
yep, that's why.

Top Bottom