• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Acid switched mains a while back.

He beat one of the european marth's with bowser too (in a set)
that would be leon...a dude i lost to in pools at a euro tourney

this was the set we showed ixis (top bowser main in europe, btw) ext time we saw him and the man raged, mistakes were made everywhere, but it still takes a fair bit of skill to beat him

benaji261!

Smash Ace
Nice Zatch. I happened to see the results earlier this morning.

Sheik is tricky and fast, but if you stick to jabs and your quickest aerials, you'll see sheik's damage % increase more and more. It's not too difficult to hit sheik if you get her to upB onstage before she even lands with ledge release hop + fair or uair.

ICs we can camp or play up close. Only fair if you're really far away, but stick to retreating nair if they get close, since you can just jab them afterwards. Grab+pummel->bthrow fsmash Nana can work even on the best of ICs.

Platform camping and dairing or fairing their uairs makes the match super simple, though.
With that fsmash is it a backwards or forward fsmash? I need to know more about ICs MU with Ike cause I played with someone who was all grabs and once he grabbed me, I was done for.

I always got to one stock, but I just took him to a platform stage and tried staying on platforms the whole match. Even though I did that, I felt like people watching would call it 'stalling'. What do you think?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If its against ICs, its not stalling, its called living.

I really only platform camp to catch my breath and prepare mentally my next assault

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Nice Zatch. I happened to see the results earlier this morning.

Sheik is tricky and fast, but if you stick to jabs and your quickest aerials, you'll see sheik's damage % increase more and more. It's not too difficult to hit sheik if you get her to upB onstage before she even lands with ledge release hop + fair or uair.

ICs we can camp or play up close. Only fair if you're really far away, but stick to retreating nair if they get close, since you can just jab them afterwards. Grab+pummel->bthrow fsmash Nana can work even on the best of ICs.

Platform camping and dairing or fairing their uairs makes the match super simple, though.
I began to pick up on his playstyle after a bit, and whenever he rushed in, I grabbed him when he threw up shield. That's where I started seperating them, and the stock began falling into my favor. I was able to do a lot after I got a grab on him. I tried not to pummel too much, just throw and try to keep the other one away. That way, if he did manage to grab me, more times than none, I'd have one offstage and he'd have to get rid of me quickly with a throw before I broke free. I almost got a Dair spike when he threw me offstage and the CPU IC happened to be right below me. I should use the platforms a lot more, especially since I played him on SV the most. I won on my BF CP in our pools set. Maybe I should take into account how hard I can punish the following climber. I normally Bthrow one climber > Jab to disrupt any punishes the main climber tries to get me with, unless he's shielding, then I'm more likely to just grab him.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Um, if that's stalling, then what's avoiding Falco's CG on all three stocks for your 40%? >_> Legit strategy, man, don't even think twice about it.

I should probably add that you should watch to make sure you know which IC you grabbed/threw. If that wasn't obvious.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Falco doesn't 0-death you, play better.

Also its NOT obvious when they use the double white color. They both are white, you have to pay attention to the tag or P# above the player controlled ice climber

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
90% of Falcos dumbly chase after you on the platform and get aerial'd, I am playing better D:<

And yes, it's not always obvious which one you grabbed. But I was saying more so the idea of paying attention to the grabbed IC.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I always got to one stock, but I just took him to a platform stage and tried staying on platforms the whole match. Even though I did that, I felt like people watching would call it 'stalling'. What do you think?

I personally would not care what people call it. You're not ledge camping and wasting your ledgegrabs until the timer goes out, but I don't see this MU as being one where we can't have time-out as an option, especially on platform stages like BF.

If its against ICs, its not stalling, its called living.

I really only platform camp to catch my breath and prepare mentally my next assault
^ All of this. I try to wait on an opening and plan what I'm going to do next. I was able to bait an Up air when he was below me and I was on BF's platform, which I was able to punish him for, severely, ultimately killing the second Ice Climber. Camping platforms is not bad. It is much better than trying to stay away from grabs on the ground. Now on BF, PC > grab is a different story. I haven't seen it yet, but the thought of it is scary for me. Kinda makes me feel like banning SV, now.

Um, if that's stalling, then what's avoiding Falco's CG on all three stocks for your 40%? >_> Legit strategy, man, don't even think twice about it.

I should probably add that you should watch to make sure you know which IC you grabbed/threw. If that wasn't obvious.
Yeah, I knew that. If I grab the lead, I don't waste time when it comes to punishing the second. I make sure I at least do some damage, if not KO one. If I happen to grab the second, I throw either away from the lead, or I dthrow. The second IC sucks when it comes to getting out of the air by itself. I score easy KOs are like, 80+ by using Uair as a follow-up. If the lead tries to punish you, Jab is a really good option to keep him out.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I spent a few months playing aggro against ICs. It's not that difficult at all, but it's still harder, and you can't mess up the easy punishes (like them airdodging into you).

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's easier for Ike to grab ICs than the other way around. Our pummel stuns them long enough.

1 skid-cancel standing grab is all we need.

Jab already screws up the ICs a lot, and jab leads to grab anyways.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Grats Zatch, and fail for family being such ****s. Huntsville and back taking 4 full tanks of gas, already totaling to $120 round trip.... Know what... imma just say screw it and see what I can get online wise... hate being shot down each time to go someplace if its more than an hour away.

HEY RED MOVE OVER!!! WI-IKE #2 IS COMING ABOARD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Then you play wifi amd remember why you stopped.

Family got ****ty internet connection and clogs the banwidth downloading music and whateves.

~~~~~

Well i hate verizon, i want comcast :|

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you're traveling by yourself, sometimes public transportation is easier if you don't really care about the freedom/worries of driving.

Public transportation 4-5 hours away is like 80-100 dollars both ways. 2-3 hours is around $40-$50.

Then you play wifi amd remember why you stopped.
And this.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It's easier for Ike to grab ICs than the other way around. Our pummel stuns them long enough.

1 skid-cancel standing grab is all we need.

Jab already screws up the ICs a lot, and jab leads to grab anyways.
I didn't know that pummel could be used like that, although I knew of this property. I don't think I grab enough in this MU, if I should? I found myself camping on the side of SV awaiting any shielding approaches he attempted so that I could grab him instead. I loved to jab cancel against the ICs in my set. The second climber takes Jab > almost anything when she's desynch from the lead. It's what I tried to keep for the longest.

Grats Zatch, and fail for family being such ****s. Huntsville and back taking 4 full tanks of gas, already totaling to $120 round trip.... Know what... imma just say screw it and see what I can get online wise... hate being shot down each time to go someplace if its more than an hour away.

HEY RED MOVE OVER!!! WI-IKE #2 IS COMING ABOARD
I play Wifi as well D: I seldom use Ike online, since I enjoy dabbling with Jigglypuff and Toon Link so much more. Mad I couldn't see you at this >:V 120$ on gas? Where were you coming from? :o

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
@Zatch: Eh, was coming from Fort Benning.

@San: I have a few gripes as is with the public transit where I live. Few incidents that happened a while back still has me not trusting them at all. If I could get myself in a cp with anyone and just help pay off the gas I would, then again the whole purpose for getting my license years ago was just for the sake of going solo to these things.

@Ussi: lol, just use an MK and call it a day :awesome:

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Bored said:
Guessing if you played the winner of the tourny, that means you got seeded pretty low.
I don't know how seeding works tbh, but I 2-0'd everyone in my pool apart from a MK who 2-0'd instead (gotta work on that too :/)
And yes acid switched mains. at least he didn't pick a blatantly broken character.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I have just "high speed"

Hmm.. Still my dad is content with this.

He ain't gonna upgrade to fios just so i can play a video game better xD

Though maybeh he's gonna be annoyed with how much our internet disconnects..

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
There's not a single blatantly broken character in this game that is not Meta Knight.

btw, people go on to say how Melee is much more balanced than brawl. When I ask for details they say that the high tiers are all balanced with each other. I don't get that part. Even the high tier characters in brawl seem more or less the same to me (MK is top tier mind you). Anyone with big Melee experience want to enlighten me on this?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I didn't know that pummel could be used like that, although I knew of this property. I don't think I grab enough in this MU, if I should? I found myself camping on the side of SV awaiting any shielding approaches he attempted so that I could grab him instead. I loved to jab cancel against the ICs in my set. The second climber takes Jab > almost anything when she's desynch from the lead. It's what I tried to keep for the longest.
You only need 1 grab on ICs to get this, just like them for you. It should be a mixup to spacing aerials, if you predict they'll try to dash shield towards you, you can intercept them with a dash+shield standing grab.

You can also get easy usmashes/fair/uair on Nana after desyncing the ICs with jabs and zoning aerials. ICs have very low traction and crap grab range, so retreating aerials should be pretty safe even on powershields.

Just don't retreat fair/nair when they're close to you. Retreating bair or jump/run away seems a little bit better.

If ICs are on the ledge, you can just spam fair on them really. +I think we can just attack ICs recovery with impunity also.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
+I think we can just attack ICs recovery with impunity also.
Yep. Our Fair and Bair beat literally everything ICs can safely do off-stage, plus they can't really do anything to gimp us. Get them separated and/or off-stage a lot and the match is yours as long as you don't mess up punishes. But really, just pay attention to your spacing and don't fall for baits. It's a relatively easy match-up IMO.

:248:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
If they didn't have an infinite grab, it'd be an easy match-up.
It's much easier to play -perfectly- than other match-ups. But you still have to play it perfectly. Or rather, mess up no more than 2 times.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
It's much easier to play -perfectly- than other match-ups. But you still have to play it perfectly. Or rather, mess up no more than 2 times.
yeah, don't you just know it. this is probably why i keep my r.o.b unrusted, cause i can just go rob '08 and it works just fine

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
In theory yes, but most (if not all) IC mains aren't gonna manage to pull off the CG perfectly zero-death very often, let alone every time. You've usually got plenty more chances than two, but it isn't too hard to avoid their grab anyways.

:248:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Wiis shouldn't have the "No-tripping code" on to begin with.

Nysyarc, have you heard of 9B? You gotta hope that Nana trips when playing against that guy. .-.

Top Bottom