• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I played Brawl today after... I don't know how much time not playing it.

It was awesome-- I didn't have any awful habits that kept coming up.

Oh and I saved a video where I countered my opponent 5 times in a row in a ditto $1MM. Super trolling ftw. I countered the first and last hits of Aether successively (he super armored the first counter, LOL).
What if not having awful habits is your awful habit?

*mindgames*

Heartstring

Smash Legend
you should use psychic, more powerful than confusion :E

whats hes saying is that maybe your bad habits, is the fact that you dont seem to have any bad habits
in other words diarrhoea was being spoken

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i see, i can just get glimpses of it, as my 1998 computer doesnt allow for highlighting thing properly -__-

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Gonna miss it. :( Also, does anyone know the Mario MU? Turns out a lot of Marios have started popping up in my area x.x

:phone:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
They get rid of Pictochat but leave Pokémon Stadium 2 in. Very brilliant. They should go ahead and take that off since everyone keeps whining about that one.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I have now highlighted every post since #9605 for fear of missing something.
I just hit CTRL+A. Highlights everything.

lol Mario's cape. My friend and I were screwing around in friendlies once and he went Mario. Reverse fsmash > get caped =LOL

Can't we just jab the fireballs? I also remember having to avoid Utilt juggles, but I am really bad at it.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
We can Jab fireballs, but I don't think it's consistant enough to be of major use if the Mario is spamming them correctly, at trivial intervals. I don't normally get issues with Mario's Utilt. Keeping him out with Nair seems to be of good use to avoid it.

:phone:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Pictochat is bad imo, even though Ike is actually good on the stage.

You can jab fireballs, but why would you? You won't even get any frame advantage that way. Dash->powershield->jab. Mario's fireballs are really slow. If you don't powershield, you can try to jab, but it's easier to retreat. You can even ignore the fireball and just fair Mario. You get hit by the fireball, but Mario gets hit by fair.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@SM: Power-shield fireballs instead of jabbing, jab Mario instead of his fireballs & watch his DI (can put Mario back into a tight position) while jabbing.

Generally speaking, it's Mario's job to get inside Ike's comfort zone & string the **** out of him. Since Ike out prioritizes Mario, he has to use fireballs (manipulation tool) to approach safely or bait with cape (momentum tool). Even though these two tools are deadly, you should (MO) be focused on his F.L.U.D.D. (positioning tool) as well.

Cool Tip: Not only can FIHL can occur but when Mario's fully charged, it becomes more difficult to tell when his dodges end (due to his constant flashing>Personally love keeping fludd charged).

The best ways Mario can guarantee u-tilt is by landing u-airs (pivoted u-airs are most effective) or landing d-air (has to approach from a high angle in order to work) toward the ground.

Is there anything specifically that you're having trouble with in this MU? I'd love to strengthen our smashers' exp.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
egh, pictochat was one of my favourites, still europe disregards the unity ruleset entirely for some reason...
as far mario, its just another keepout MU

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
@SM: Power-shield fireballs instead of jabbing, jab Mario instead of his fireballs & watch his DI (can put Mario back into a tight position) while jabbing.

[...]
Good info here, but uhh...what's with all the italics and random bold/underline? >_>

Anyway, I never really liked Pictochat either. Too many dumb things that can happen.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
when i used rob ps2 was a nightmare, really he has a hard enough time landing as it is, let alone on the electric and flying stages XD

ground and ice are fine, its the other two that are gay

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So in other words, you don't like it. >____>

Welcome back(?)
its annoying when I'm playing seriously, on wifi i'm never serious

If i'm playing against random little kids who i need to keep entertained at my house i usually turn on brawl- and pick the fun stages to add the crazy element.

I was gone(?)

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you think you can't handle certain parts of the stage, go to practice mode and try to learn ways to traverse the stage.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
what's with all the italics and random bold/underline? >_>
My bold/italic/underline/etc text isn't random (
if you think so, that's your opinion=nothing wrong with having
). Reason I highlight certain part(s) in my text is to emphasize overall understanding.

Jus sayin: From the face >_> I get the impression that you'd like to read text in a certain way. Not everything is meant to control.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
its annoying when I'm playing seriously, on wifi i'm never serious

If i'm playing against random little kids who i need to keep entertained at my house i usually turn on brawl- and pick the fun stages to add the crazy element.

I was gone(?)
If I didn't put Project M on my SD card, I'd ask you to play Brawl- on wifi with me ;_;

And I dunno, I felt like I hadn't seen you post in a while. It's possible you did on some 2-3 page interim that I decided to skim.

My bold/italic/underline/etc text isn't random (
if you think so, that's your opinion=nothing wrong with having
). Reason I highlight certain part(s) in my text is to emphasize overall understanding.

Jus sayin: From the face >_> I get the impression that you'd like to read text in a certain way. Not everything is meant to control.
Just seemed unique to me. Never really see people write posts like that. The >_> face is pretty much an autopilot quirk I picked up on the internet.

And PS2 just makes me want to stop thinking at some points. Though that may just be because I don't find anything interesting about the stage, just vastly annoying quirks.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Berserker Swordsman: There's reason(s) behind certain stages being counter-picks, neutrals & the remaining being banned (MO). Thinking determines the outcome regarding most competitive fighting games. Reasoning (MO) helps you better understand the "why" about that specific aspect.

Simple Example: Take something simple like Ike's n-air. Hypothetically, you enter an offline tournament & approach with d-air regardless of the MU/stage/etc. After the match, someone tells you to use n-air because it has more of a chance to hit (land). Granted, that's true (due to range) but that explains "what" & not why.

Let's say in loser's bracket you spam this same move recklessly hoping it lands. You lose again, another person explains "why" (whatever reason(s) that may be) the move is good. Not only you know why you're doing what you're doing but you now know make the most of more scenarios due to improved thinking. I believe a smasher (gamer) thinks/acts/reacts/etc way more effectively if they understand "why" (along with other questions for themselves).

Detailed Example: Mario's short hop n-air OoS.

Opinion: "Mario's short hop n-air OoS isn't good, you'll get punished so don't use it". Yes, you know not to use this specific move but you don't know where to start (what other moves (OoS) to utilize). Your thinking process becomes, "use any move excluding sh n-air" which is false.

Fact: "Mario's short hop n-air OoS isn't because you're committed to landing regardless of your next action. Even though n-air is the fastest air to come out (frame 3), you're completely limited otherwise (meaning nothing safe to follow-up)". Now your thinking process becomes way more clearer because not only do you understand "why" it isn't good, but you also see why you're getting punished frequently. Thinking about other moves that doesn't insure landing becomes your next thought(s). Reasoning which move(s) are the most beneficial to you in that specific situation soon follows. Finally troubleshooting (
currently one of my main focuses-understanding why certain moves work or don't work the way they do
) in smash (any game).

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I'm aware of what goes into these types of processes, but that doesn't make me like the stage anymore than how much I hate it when people always want to start on Smashville instead of stage striking (for which I immediately strike SV).

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Depends. Doesn't benefit you long term if you're striking SV only because several other smashers start their sets with that stage. Excluding a certain character breaking that stage, your opponent may want start there because that will give a balance (stage-wise) to the MU. Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion(s) but how to break a stage with your character(s) remains more important MO.

Top Bottom