• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I don't know how SWF works, I just found that thread through a blog on AiB. lol
And lmfao Max.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Now that song makes me think of Ike, just cause of the old SWF Ike boards CV. Do we really want to use it for our OP though?

I think if we do this it shouldn't be a really popular song, but obviously a good one...

:034:

earla

Smash Lord
i've already looked in the community ike guide.

how do i DI correctly with ike?

momentum cancel with bair? or Airdodge?

also, is there a thread of b-throw > dash attack %'s character specific yet? if not, how do i test it (will it come up as 2 consecutive hits in training mode?)

Max113

Smash Apprentice

-RedX-

Smash Lord
how do i DI correctly with ike?

momentum cancel with bair? or Airdodge?
Depends on what you're being hit with. Something that's gonna send you horizontally, airdodge->jump. Sent vertically, Bair/Dair (any aerial?)->fastfall.

also, is there a thread of b-throw > dash attack %'s character specific yet? if not, how do i test it (will it come up as 2 consecutive hits in training mode?
Nobody has a complete record of it as of now. =/
To test, it's recommended to have a mod that lets you control frame rate. (Debug Pause->Frame advance). I don't think testing in training mode is reliable. lol

earla

Smash Lord
thanks alot.

also, SDI. do i tap both c-stick and main stick as fast as i can?

or do i do that 'quarter circle mash' that i've heard about?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Here is the song I'm going to use for my CV, check out 0:18 - 0:34. That, (in my opinion) Is good Ike music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWrk4ZKPYNw
Pfff, if I made a solo CV I'd use this song and sync a clip of me spiking someone every time he says 'Down'. Some songs have lyrics you can use for CVs, but a lot of people prefer no lyrics... I really don't know why, maybe just because it's easier to sync only to music as opposed to lyrics as well?

Scar's Melee CVs use lyric/music syncing very well... the first two anyways, I didn't like his music choices for the third one.

It depends. You can only use the c-stick to SDI if you have your c-stick control set to 'Smash', which is the default setting. If that's the case, you can either mash the control stick and c-stick alternately or quarter-circle DI, it's up to you.

Quarter-circle DI is more effective with the control stick, and what you want to do is spin your control stick in a quarter circle in the general direction you want to SDI, but so that your control stick ends up facing the direction you want to standard DI (bend your trajectory).

Example: You are hit straight up in the air. Initially you flick your control stick straight down and rotate it around to the left (the right works too), so that you end up moving down and to the left before you are sent flying. Then, since your control stick ends up pointing left, you will bend your trajectory that way and not go flying straight up, giving you more time to momentum cancel.

The same applies for the c-stick if you have it set to 'Smash'.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
thanks alot.

SDI is possible with one stick, it's just tons better with a C-stick. But yea, you tap as fast as you can when hit.
I'm not too knowledgeable about QCDI (even though I use it more commonly than regular SDI lawl), but I think SDI regularly works fine. (See Mr. Doom)

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Where's Brett? I'm working on this platform write-up for the guide so I can't focus on the OP here but we need to get it
t
rolling.

Oh, that reminds me, remember guys if you're answering a question someone asks in here, try to only include your answer in the post, like don't have random replies to other people in there. Also try to make your answer as descriptive as you can and cover all the bases of the question. The reason for this is just so we can easily link the post with the question and the post with the best answer in the OP.

P.S. Don't use my post answering earla's question about SDI as an example, I basically broke all the rules I just made up.

I'm a hypocrite, I know. Get at me.

Also: Calling out Mr. Doom

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
lol brett the TX tier list shows me better than you XD that is all... also havent been paying attention to ashu... what happened? XD

Slaps - 1584.079
Teh Brettster - 1583.148
I love how you never do anything on the boards except try and prove that you're better than I am-- which nobody thinks. You should seriously stop trying.

Slaps, that list doesn't mean much. There are a bunch of people above me that I've consistently beaten in tournies before. If you just happen to go to more tournies than someone who is technically better than you, then you're put above them. Unfortunately for me, I probably attend a monthly, and that's it.
This. Echo is higher than us, PhantomX, Take, and several others. And we're all loads better than he is. He's terrible.

Look on the list for Moonlight Grace. He's a friend from Denton who has been to one tourney and he got last place + a bye. I outplaced him by two rounds in that tourney if I remember correctly, and I've also been top 5 in another. But he's higher on the list than I am.

It's pretty messed up, from what I can tell.

Oh and last time I looked, Take was on the list in 2 different tiers.

It's all kinds of crazy.

Anyway, everyone... I think we can focus on CV music after we get this OP and our guide sorted out.

messing around a couple days ago and a friend rolled behind me. I did a quick turn around and did a down tilt by accident and the down tilt sent him at a pretty low angle and sent him pretty far. After a few times i replicated the result by they had to be really close to ike and sometimes it wouldn't work unless they were walking into me which is not likely to happen in a match. Any info on it???

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yea, Ike's d-tilt will originally send someone down, but if they are close to you, they will get struck by the hilt of the sword and send them horizontal.

pinoymk

Smash Rookie
well according to kirks data, you get that effect if you hit by the hilt or the bottom of the sword

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
well according to kirks data, you get that effect if you hit by the hilt or the bottom of the sword
Yah, I included a bit about that in my moveset analysis. Because of Dtilt's inherently powerful nature as a spike move, hitting your opponent with the hilt hitbox is a stronger horizontal KO move than Ftilt. Not as viable though because your opponent has to be right beside you, whereas Ftilt has good range.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
You called? I think this one would be better. 'Same song, but it's revamped. E1M1
Nice, I found a few covers but they were all mediocre, I like this one.

This is now my favorite of this guy's remakes, really like what he did with it. I really wish he would remix this though, love to hear what 1:00 to 1:38 would sound like with a non-MIDI guitar.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Nice, I found a few covers but they were all mediocre, I like this one.

This is now my favorite of this guy's remakes, really like what he did with it. I really wish he would remix this though, love to hear what 1:00 to 1:38 would sound like with a non-MIDI guitar.

You like Sonic Clang? E1M8 wasn't really one of my favorites, though.

The Dark Side of Phobos remixes the classic doom music, too. Here's one for I Sawed the Demons, but it's renamed Infiltrator.
I also like Ocean Pollen and Industrial Strength. I added them as my menu music for brawl. The original names, if you want them, are "Donna to the Rescue" (e3m2) and "The Imp's Song" (e1m2), respectively.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Your song should be something that just fits well regardless of what you put into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_R1H9L4eI&feature=related

It really depends on what you want for the ambient feel of your video. A lot of ike videos have these overly "epic" tracks, even I did it in 2 or 3 individual tracks over the course of multiple videos.

You could easily go with basically almost any RPG series or war based anime sound track to find **** like that, code geass being one of the more blatant recent examples of the latter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZbiuNlDJvI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2uphKORCI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-XqUew00Lw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf6XRk4DmEI&feature=related

Rock related stuff can easily go down the track of anything fighting game related, Blazblue being the best most recent example.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
It really depends on what you want for the ambient feel of your video. A lot of ike videos have these overly "epic" tracks, even I did it in 2 or 3 individual tracks over the course of multiple videos.
Hmm, I personally wouldn't prefer that kind of music for it simply because it's been used so many times in other Ike compilations I've seen. Just my opinion but I'd rather this one have a new feel to it.

Rock related stuff can easily go down the track of anything fighting game related, Blazblue being the best most recent example.
Rock-theme may work... shouldn't be anything too heavy or fast-paced because it should match the tempo of Ike's gameplay (he's not the fastest at stringing together attacks). I'm a strong supporter of classic rock and rock-themed VGMs in combo videos.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Hmm, I personally wouldn't prefer that kind of music for it simply because it's been used so many times in other Ike compilations I've seen. Just my opinion but I'd rather this one have a new feel to it.
Personally I agree. At this point the video's gonna need to err on the faster side of things if you're going to keep people's attention for however long since ike videos are in blatant abundance (sorry) so the slow tempo classic tracks may just be overdoing it.

Even when I do add that kind of track I use faster paced stuff later on because it's just the natural progression of things. Keeping that pace for a whole video will eventually kill someone's attention span.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Depends on the rap music. Just like other underused music genres in combo videos.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I wouldn't say rap is underused in CVs... it's used more often than bluegrass, lol. And I dunno, maybe it depends on the song but I don't think rap/hip-hop/whatever you wanna call it would be fitting for an Ike CV at all.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
There's absolutely nothing wrong with rap if it fits the aesthetic of what you're trying to present. This is ignoring the fact that rap in and of itself doesn't determine the type of music/beat playing in the background. Using that logic you should just not use anything with lyrics whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARd7TBlkBms

Most blatant example of something that is very obviously based on what one would consider rap but fits what they were going for.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I haven't gotten around to listening to those songs posted for the OP/CV, but I'm sure they're great. I just came up with an idea though. How about for the intro of the CV when we introduce the Ike players featured in the CV, we use the Path of Radiance opening theme?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Hope that was a joke song, cause I don't think anyone here wants to use a YOSHI song.
Yah, video game rap music was brought up, so I immediately just thought of that, lol.

Using a theme from PoR or FE in general would seem kind of cliche or cheesy. That's just my opinion anyways. I mean it's been done before and it's worked sometimes... but I'd rather this be something new.

Edit: Brett you're online! We need to get this OP going.

Top Bottom