• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZTq5RiHZ4

But you guys know that this IS the credits music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWts75sxRBU
No buts about it.
Omg, YES! And we can have the clip of me Aetherspiking a Snake over and over again while he's trying to recover from below the stage playing in an endless loop in the background. That actually would be a great credits song, the CV should be awesome and then credits should provide lols.

:034:

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
yeah i know, what i said was a joke lol.. I remember zac talking to vanjones after phase 10 when he was driving me home about this new system he came up with for player rankings, i thought it was interesting, but of course it doesn't say who is better than who..
I love how you never do anything on the boards except try and prove that you're better than I am-- which nobody thinks. You should seriously stop trying.
Also, brett, stfu! XD the last tourney you placed higher than me was phase 9, practically every time before that we tied, so honestly i don't know what makes you say you are better than me. I never said i am better than you, I think we are pretty even but just 2 different playstyles. For example i went to game 3 vs Forsaken at phase 9 when you got 2-0ed, but you went to game 3 with Gnes when I got 2-0ed, granted there is a considerable time difference between those 2 days of playing Gnes. No button input johnz anymore! I find it stupid to be arguing about who is better because it doesn't matter.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
seriously, if youre worried about things sounding samey, I'd steer clear or rpg soundtracks period
this^

Too many RPG soundtracks sound the same. The ff13 battle theme is overrated and gets annoying really fast. I think everyone should stop posting so many recommendations for now. Nys doesn't even know how to set up the music in the first place, and even if he does, we already have like 20 to go through.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nys doesn't even know how to set up the music in the first place
This.

Anyways we should worry about the content of the OP and the guide before songs for our CV and stuff. You guys don't have to worry about the OP, that's more for Brett and me whenever he has time to spare, but feel free to pitch in ideas. As for the guide, the sooner we get it done the sooner we can start actual work on the CV.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Let's not rush into the CV. I know I have all of two possible clips for it and I'd rather take time to get worthwhile footage. And for that matter, let's not rush the guide or we might miss something.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Dont play music in the thread for the love of god.
Lol, I don't think we will, not even sure why that was brought up in the first place tbh.

Edit: The guide's going fine at the pace it is, I encourage rushing the first part (getting rough drafts of different sections done) so we have plenty of time to edit and add to it. Unfortunately my perfectionist nature prevents me from making a rough draft of anything, so my sections are taking quite awhile to do.

As for the CV, I didn't mean we should start putting clips together as soon as we're done the guide, I guess I should have worded that better. I just meant we could start seriously planning it out and thinking of songs/etc... the sooner we get the guide done.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
whats this talk about combo videos??? Ike boards making another one? i am in! since ryko didn't add me to get my clips for the last one -_-
We're not gonna be working on the CV for like... months probably. First we have the guide to finish and then we'll have to do quite a bit of planning before we actually start making it. We want it to be as good as it can possibly be.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Everyone just ignore Slaps. If he's gonna drop in once a month or something from now on, we might as well give him the CK treatment.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
No it's:

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I think you added an extra 'even', lol. I had that phrase as my sig for so long. That's right, I even pick apart a sentence that has no grounds in grammatical correctness whatsoever.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
That sentence works so well for anything.
Is the next Ike boards tourney thing this Sunday?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah, at 3:00 pm EST as usual. I have a local tourney tonight so I'm gonna be completely Brawled out by Monday.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Everyone just ignore Slaps. If he's gonna drop in once a month or something from now on, we might as well give him the CK treatment.
Bored its not my fault... I am not allowed to get on computer at all... Still waiting to get ungrounded which should hopefully be soon, the only time i can get on is when parents out of house lol... Also why give me the CK treatment? I don't spam the boards with 1-3 word posts or smileys XD.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Hey I'm not johning for the bi-weekly, I'm saying if I do anything Brawl-related on Monday I'll be dispirited.

Lol grounding. Some parents are funny.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bored its not my fault... I am not allowed to get on computer at all... Still waiting to get ungrounded which should hopefully be soon, the only time i can get on is when parents out of house lol... Also why give me the CK treatment? I don't spam the boards with 1-3 word posts or smileys XD.
CK really doesn't do that anymore, it's just a long running joke we've put on him. Now he just makes unintelligent posts. Kinda like you.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
No it's:

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I have been looking for that sentence being used in a "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" photoshopped question. This should totally be the name of this thread sometime. If you guys have the pic can you post it, because I want it.

Yamato Hong

Smash Apprentice
Hi, everyone! ^-^ I'm a Marth main who also seconds Ike. I want to know this.

How effective is the Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) in both casual and competitive play using Ike? I also want to know how to use it the easiest way possible. Answers will be appreciated!

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
How effective is the Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) in both casual and competitive play using Ike? I also want to know how to use it the easiest way possible. Answers will be appreciated!
Hey, welcome to the Ike boards! I noticed you lurk sometimes, lol.

Ike's RAR is not always an excellent option but it can be mixed up in many different ways. There are three effective uses for the RAR, all of them are easiest to do by using the C-stick to input the aerial.

A RAR with a Bair (run at your opponent, tap your control stick back and then up to turn and buffer a short-hop, while simultaneously tapping the C-stick towards your opponent to Bair) is fast, but arguably not as good an approach as just shield-canceling and using Jabs. It can be used to KO if you think your opponent will spot-dodge, because you can turn and short-hop, wait out the spot-dodge and then Bair with the C-stick. I like to call this a Delayed RAR, although it doesn't really have or need a name.

You can also RAR with Nair as a mix-up, and this is easiest to do with the C-stick control set to 'Attack'. It's basically the exact same inputs as a RAR Bair except you want to tilt your C-stick in a diagonal direction as soon as you short-hop. Make sure not to fast-fall, or else Nair's hitbox will not loop around behind Ike, which is what you want. An Nair RAR is great as a mix-up with Bair because if your opponent is expecting a Bair/Jab/Grab they will spot-dodge instantly, and Nair's hitbox will slowly go around and punish the spot-dodge.

Another use of the mechanics involved with a RAR is to do a retreating RAR Fair or Nair. Basically if you are running away from a fast opponet (MK, Sonic, etc...) you can flick your control stick back and up to buffer the turn-around and short-hop, then use your C-stick to input either an Fair or an Nair while keeping your control stick pushed back the way your were originally running. This means you will Fair back at the approaching opponent while retreating a safe distance. I would suggest an Nair instead of an Fair on particularly fast/close opponents though.

Hope that was sufficient, let me know if you'd like clarification on anything.

FD96

Smash Cadet
My friend and I started playing on a doubles team, he uses Ike and I use MK, do you think that the team could work? And if you have any tips on the team could you please post them?
Thanks!

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
My friend and I started playing on a doubles team, he uses Ike and I use MK, do you think that the team could work? And if you have any tips on the team could you please post them?
Thanks!
MK is a good teammate with just about any character, including Ike. There really aren't too many amazing team combos to be aware of, but since you use MK you should be ready to help Ike's recovery if necessary. If you notice he's going to get gimped or won't make it back, get down off-stage and hit him with an Uair, since recovery won't be an issue for you.

Otherwise... MK is just a good teammate for Ike because he's MK. Unfortunately MK doesn't have any throws with a low enough trajectory to string into an Ike Fsmash (can't think of any off the top of my head anyways... maybe he does?). You'll want to play stages with platforms like BF, have Ike control the center of the stage under the platforms while you go for gimps off-stage and control the airspace above the platforms. Ike should be stock-tanking and not taking any risks off-stage.

I don't do doubles too often so I'm sure someone else can add to that (Mr. Doom where you @). Hope it helps a bit though.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
MK is Ike's best partner in my opinion.

MK offers great stage control with his tornado, and Ike can easily fair/upair people as they pop out of it for low percent kills or general damage.

Platforms to indeed help, because of both characters generally being good with them and platforms helping Ike to get high enough to punish people who pop up out of MK's moves.

MK's Dthrow can sometimes pop them low enough for a fsmash, but both dthrow and up throw can both combo into an upair if you predict their DI well enough. His quick forward and back throws can also quickly get opponents into the range of Ike's moves. If the Ike can react quickly enough to situations, he can get a lot of ridiculous kills off of MK's general ridiculousness.

As for saving Ike, it's incredibly important to note that you have to hit him from behind while he's doing Aether or you're likely to get sucked in and die with him. If the Ike isn't going to make it then he has to reverse aether away from the stage so MK has time to get over and hit him. Also, it helps if the Ike stalls in the air with counter to give the MK partner enough time to get over to him.

It's really an amazing team.

Top Bottom