• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've heard great things about Baldur's Gate...Ussi, you should by Creatures.

Zomg, Duke Nukem lmao. Earthworm Jim...I would be interested in FO...but there are other ways.

If I had to pick one, I would get the Sherlock Holmes game...I'm a sucker for mystery games.

PS3 > 360

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've heard positive things about GOG even though it's digital distribution, something that's still a touchy subject. I want to get more used to WRPGs. I hear planescape: torment is amazing all the time by gamers.

PS3=360 for me, although I don't have a 360. I'll get a PS3 once it's down to like $100 or something. Too many multiplatform games anyways, and I'm not interested in the PS3 exclusives enough to buy a system just for them.

Buying old games for cheap is much more rewarding than I thought. I will still probably get things like 3DS new though lol.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
.-. i had a feeling PS3 would get better games

I still ended up with a xbox though cause playing with IRL friends > playing by yourself

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I want the 3DS so bad. because of all the games coming out (Megaman Legends, KH, MGS, Zelda: OoT).

I agree with you on the concept of buying older games and such when they are past their prime...though it sucks to play a prequel or a similar game. I don't expect FO 1 and 2 to disappoint me, but the lack of great graphics and gameplay may. Heck, even Elder Scrolls Oblivion operates on FO's engine, but worse. Uncharted 2 was amazing, and then I proceeded ot play 1 after...felt really clunky.

I agree. Multiplatform games go even on both consoles pretty much. 360 has live, but I would not want to pay 50 bucks a year for that. That's essentially another video game I can own. PS3 exclusives look so much better, and I'm content with the online service. Oh and Blue Ray.

And if anyone asks, I don't care about either the Move or Kinect.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Well I don't do a whole year of Live. I just buy a month card whenever the month has a break/vacation and then a 3 month card for the summer. Then there are the free 48 hour trials that some games come with.

I agree with san about PS3=360. Wish I could have a PS3 too. My house would be the ultimate gaming place.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, winter break won't justify a theme song for you...I meant like a consistent 2-4 months.

Also, type with some syntax and grammar please...I don't think anyone likes to reread posts twice to three times over.

Questions are welcome, just don't make new threads. Ask your Q's here.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
we know you don't lurk either cause 2 pages ago i already said 3 of us don't even eat ham.

No sympathy to people who aren't committed.

Also its "My apologies"

Hist

Smash Cadet
we know you don't lurk either cause 2 pages ago i already said 3 of us don't even eat ham.

No sympathy to people who aren't committed.

Also its "My apologies"
WELL PLAYED!
<3

First question: How do I kill Olimar, without loosing 5 stocks in the process...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Dash attack is one of your best approaches in this match up. Be wary of Oli's pivot grab. Once you dash attack them, do your best to keep them airborn. So N-air, grabs, etc. Best place to keep them is off stage.

Also, I think there is a certain timing to dash attack. Olimar can simply sit back and spam f-smash if he wants.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah, and whatever you do, don't jump and air-dodge or try to approach with an aerial attack against Olimar. You may get lucky once or twice but 90% of the time you'll just get pivot grabbed. Either Dash Attack or mix it up by dashing in, predicting and spot-dodging his grab attempt and then punishing with some quick Jabs. Sometimes you can even get away with running in and just grabbing him if you condition him to hold his shield on first.

Like Bored said, once you've got Olimar in the air, keep him there.

:248:

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
The Tales series is probably one of the most entertaining around. The stories are somewhat generic (although they all have a few twists here and there) but the characters, battle system and sheer level of stuff to do in every game more than makes up for it.

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game of all time, by the way. Tales isn't my favorite series (that's Phoenix Wright) but ToS is definitely my favorite game.
YO THIS GUY!!...This is the guy

Also mah ganons going to get revenge yo

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
land out of Olimar's grab range. Whether it be behind him or something.

Jab cancel his shield repeatedly, i don't think he can grab Ike when its done perfectly. No grab armor makes it even better.

Olimar can whisle his way to the ground, so if you are against a whistle spammer, grab more often. Whistle works the same as a spot dodge except half the frames of lag.

Dash attack is the MVP in this MU

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
360>PS3

Companies like Activision like the 360 better, so they make sure that if there is a problem across multiple systems, the 360 version is fixed first. Look at the latest Black Ops patch. It makes the PS3 version even worse than it was before. Borderline unplayable for some people. It took one youtube producer who has a PS3 an hour to get one good, complete game done with a friend. The 360 version? It actually improved things. PC version? Still terrible.

Then you have to look at the fact that MS gets the exclusive bonus content more often than Sony as well, though it's not common regardless.

If you want multiplatform games, you gotta go 360. Better support from companies, more bonus DLC stuff, less updates, updates take less time, and IMO better exclusives. (Why hello there Halo, and Mass Effect-even-though-ME2-will-eventually-come-to-the-PS3-over-a-year-after-it-came-out)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hm, I've noticed a lot of Oli players like Delfino. Something to do with having a higher % of getting purple pikmin. Halberd is a no. RC at one point used to be a good stage, but I think most Oli mains have adapted. For neutrals, I would go with BF or YI. Both have a platform, and it's always smart to keep them on it instead of the ground.

========
And Niddo, you're right on the updates being more reliable for 360 games assuming they are multiplatform. Though updates taking less time? Dude, go make a sandwich if you don't want to sit in front of the tv, or even watch tv. The longest update I've had was 3-5 minutes. And I really could care less about DLC, because it does eventually make its way to the PS3, and even if I don't get it, DLC is overpriced and overrated generally for what you get anyways. I have yet to buy a single piece of DLC.

And no, 360's exclusive titles are starting to lag behind PS3. Sorry, but Halo is done if not overdone. Really, all they have going is...Halo, Gears...Forza....ME......Fable. Eventually, the 360 is going to be a mass FPS center. And please don't give me a statistic on sales, because let's face it...a majority of gamers don't even have a clue on what's good and not (little kids).

PS3: MGS4, GT5, Uncharted, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Valkyria Chronicles, GoW, Heavy Rain, Mod Nation Racers, Infamous, Demon Souls....man that was hard to think of.

360 may have the better support as of now, but by no means does it beats PS3 in exclusive titles. An average gamer like me, who doesn't even plan to own all these titles given how much money I would have to spend, is content to have all these choices AND those multiplatformer games as well.

Oh and Blue-Ray

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ Yep, this pretty much. Olimar's up smash is faster and is harder to punish.

Also, Brett this is what I was talking about when you have to be wary in regards to Olimar spamming F-Smash. You have to time your dash attack in and take note of which pikmin he is f-smashing with.

Hist

Smash Cadet
Battlefield would help make Olimar more approachable. If the Olimar does not know how to pivot grab, would I be able to get around his grab and do my own pivot or would his grab still get me.
And yes no low ceiling Olimars Uair and Usmash HURT!
Dash attack does wonders so far.
Is the Fair spacing very strict? Can't seem to get great results from my attempts.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
========
And Niddo, you're right on the updates being more reliable for 360 games assuming they are multiplatform. Though updates taking less time? Dude, go make a sandwich if you don't want to sit in front of the tv, or even watch tv. The longest update I've had was 3-5 minutes. And I really could care less about DLC, because it does eventually make its way to the PS3, and even if I don't get it, DLC is overpriced and overrated generally for what you get anyways. I have yet to buy a single piece of DLC.

I've heard of updates on the PS3 taking upwards of an hour. Buy new PS3 -> Update multiple times to catch up to current level -> update game multiple times to catch up to current level + PS3 updates taking longer than 360 updates to start with, and 360 only needs most current update instead of going through them all = lol

And no, 360's exclusive titles are starting to lag behind PS3. Sorry, but Halo is done if not overdone. Really, all they have going is...Halo, Gears Overrated gorefest...Forza don't care about races....ME......Fable. Eventually, the 360 is going to be a mass FPS center. And please don't give me a statistic on sales, because let's face it...a majority of gamers don't even have a clue on what's good and not (little kids).

Sales are sales. That's all that matters to a company. Why else do you think both PS3 and 360 now have motion controls, despite all of the "BAAAAAAAAAAW, MOTION CONTROLS ARE ONLY FOR CASUALS!" going around? If one style of game sells extremely well, there will be a knockoff on the other system eventually.

Also: 360 had more exclusives in the running for video game awards than the PS3 did. That should also tell you that the 360's are better.

PS3: MGS4 If Halo is "overdone", then so is MGS, GT5 Don't care about racing games., Uncharted, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance Meh series at best., Valkyria Chronicles, GoW Overrated gorefest, Heavy Rain, Mod Nation Racers Don't care about racing games., Infamous Most PS3 owners that I talk to don't like this game. Might not wanna list this one., Demon Souls Have barely heard of it before.....man that was hard to think of.

360 may have the better support as of now, but by no means does it beats PS3 in exclusive titles From what I saw for VGA awards and nominations: yes it does.. An average gamer like me, who doesn't even plan to own all these titles given how much money I would have to spend, is content to have all these choices AND those multiplatformer games as well.

Oh and Blue-RayWait for Blue-Ray to actually take over DVDs, then buy a better one for $100. That's like me throwing in the ESPN channel on the 360 as a reason for 360>PS3: pointless to do.
Honestly, I'll be surprised if Sony is still in the console business within two game generations. PSP and it's various versions sucked up a lot of their money. PS3 has been deadlast this generation for quite a while, and it's highly unlikely to change, even if/as they sell the PS3s at a loss. Move doesn't exactly seem to be flying off the shelves. Sony is losing a lot of money in all of this.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Niddo, I just browsed through the VGA nominees, and the only exclusives I saw were ME, Forza, Fable, and Halo. All four games that I mentioned to begin with on my list, and all four that came out this year. Just because they are nominated for multiple categories does not make the 360 more abundant in exclusives. The PS3 has an overall better library when it comes to exclusives. Also, you fail to take into account exclusive titles from 2009 and back.

I can't comment on your side of the updates taking such a long time, because everyone I know, from people who have owned PS3s for a long time to those who recently bought them haven't had that problem. But I'll still acknolwedge it's no biggie if you just step outside of the house and have a life.

Blu-Ray is highly popular in Plano and Austin o_O. It far surpasses DVDs in quality. And for people like me who enjoy movies and games, a PS3 is a huge bargain. I guarantee there is a hefty audience who desire a blu-ray player and gaming console. Blu-Ray will take over DVDs soon...I would be more concerned about what 360 plans to do about future games in general. Assuming games continue to become bigger and grander, will we see multiple disks like we did for FF13? The next generation of consoles is still 4 years minimum away.

Nevertheless, I still like the PS3 on paper. I can't fault them for there being so many fanboys. I also think a big reason to the 360's success was its one year headstart. People jumped the ship for the earliest next gen console to come out. The same happened with the PS2. Both consoles suffered in hardware due to early releases. 360 with their RROD, and PS2 with their laser lens issues.

Also, YOUR opinion on games like GoW, Gears, GT5 don't matter, because there is still a heavy audience attracted to these kind of games. Just because you don't like them, doesn't make them invalid as games.

And I don't know what kind of people you talk to about Infamous. It's a Greatest Hits game for a reason.

Finally, I do agree that in this generation, PS3 will finish last. Nevertheless, I can't help but appreciate the variety of games it has in regards to genres and the overall quality. I never supported the PSP, but I am definitely interested in the PSP2 and PSP phone/Google Android thing. I would definitely love to own a phone like that.

Nevertheless, Nintendo will always own the portable console world.

Battlefield would help make Olimar more approachable. If the Olimar does not know how to pivot grab, would I be able to get around his grab and do my own pivot or would his grab still get me.
And yes no low ceiling Olimars Uair and Usmash HURT!
Dash attack does wonders so far.
Is the Fair spacing very strict? Can't seem to get great results from my attempts.
Okay so, if you are playing an Olimar who can't pivot grab...well don't play them. That's one of the key things an Oli main should know. Don't try pivot grabbing vs Olimar...his grab beats you and if you try run past them, read spot dodge, and pivot grab, you can get D-smashed as well.

F-air spacing is tight, but I like to use it if they are anticipating me using DA by doing continous f-smashes. Though short hop airdodge is more useful here.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Niddo, I just browsed through the VGA nominees, and the only exclusives I saw were ME, Forza, Fable, and Halo. All four games that I mentioned to begin with on my list, and all four that came out this year. Just because they are nominated for multiple categories does not make the 360 more abundant in exclusives. The PS3 has an overall better library when it comes to exclusives. Also, you fail to take into account exclusive titles from 2009 and back.
You are more than welcome to look up the older VGAs as well. From what I remember, that has always been the case: more 360 than PS3. The 360 has more top rated exclusives, which makes their library of exclusives better.

The next generation of consoles is still 4 years minimum away.
I say 2 years max. I'm betting we'll get a sneak peak of the next gen next E3.

I also think a big reason to the 360's success was its one year headstart.
And the stupidly high initial price tag. $700? For a gaming system and what was at the time barely used tech (Blue-Ray player)? lol no.

Also, YOUR opinion on games like GoW, Gears, GT5 don't matter, because there is still a heavy audience attracted to these kind of games. Just because you don't like them, doesn't make them invalid as games.
Then you don't get to invalidate DLC, and the PS3 taking as long as a year to get DLC the 360 has. *shrugs*

PSP2 will fail. Not only will it be fighting the 3DS, it will be eventually against the Sony Gaming Phone thingy. Sony keeps trying to fight against itself for some odd reason, like with the PSP Go and PSP Slim or w/e the combo of PSP products was. I don't know why, it's rather silly do to that.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, between the ps2 and ps3, the release dates are 6 years apart. I can't see much improvement graphics wise coming, so if there is a console released in 2012 (6 years), it would be more focused on "innovative" features.

Edit: Imagine that...PS3 is only 4 million units behind 360.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
There's a thing you can do against Olimar when he respawns->plucks Pikmin.
I remember Nair-ing all of them right after he plucked them when Olimar still had invincibility(or maybe not).
I'll try looking into this more. Whenever I feel like turning on brawl. I've been lazy to actually play the game now. lol

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
So how about that Wii? Last I checked it wasn't doing so well compared to the 360 and PS3. Then again I don't keep up with that kind of stuff and I don't really care.

Oh and I took an hour "nap" and woke up feeling like I ended up on some parallel universe. Besides that I remembered dreaming and I remembered the dream right when I woke up, but forgot it instantly. :( It even felt like it was an awesome dream or something.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wii has sold 73 some million units...there's only so many they can sell. 360 is behind with like 47.

However, a lot of people toss their Wiis away after they are done playing Wii Sports lol.

Top Bottom