• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
i realized that playing this game for the money is stupid and you should play with your favorites and have fun. ike was my first main cause i only played free-4-alls with my friends then we got into 1-1 and i picked up snake cause his f-tilt was broken and i loved throwing around nades. i personally don't think snake is #2 and all that great but he is good. But i don't like playing him anymore. If this game removes tripping and like the top 8-10 characters this game becomes balanced with everybody having a counter pick and more melee like which ive been playing for the last month and having fun playing. I also think playing melee has improved my spacing oddly enough. i heard this kid admiring a PT player at a tournament once and say he wished he could be as good as him then he went and played as MK and spammed nado all match. i'm just f****** tired of it.
that is true **** man we used to stay up all night doing 4s me as pika or toon link you as ike or zelda cacno as wolf and fu.cking steve lol. we did not know of smash boards chain grabs we played the game the way it was ment to be played till that one fateful day. the day we went to play at a real tournament and it changed everything. this term at FGCU i am going to pick up ganon and DK hard and get back to the way it used to be.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What position you play, Bored?

The vids look a lot faster than it felt when actually playing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Usually Shooting Guard or Small Forward. Depends on who I'm playing with to be quite honest. If for some strange reason I'm one of the tallest people on my team, I'll play down low, but at college I normally play guard.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, i'm back from my fest, and i know ive gotten better because that lucario that i had gotten critique on now gets destroyed by me along with various other people i now miracolously win against.

but now i need halp.
snakes d-air
luigi's d-throw combo's
diddy's banana crap.
anyone want to be helpful? these things just hurt me so bad

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Snakes D-air: SDI if you get hit by the first kick, preferably in the opposite direction Snake is going. If he's not moving left or right, then SDI away from him and not through him. But tripping shuts down your chance for SDI.

Luigi's D-Throw Combos: When he starts u-tilting you, SDI up and away from Weege. Usually, he then tries to approach with a u-air string to n-air. Air Dodge accordingly or use your second jump while air dodging.

I can't help you with Diddy's bananas

well, i'm back from my fest, and i know ive gotten better because that lucario that i had gotten critique on now gets destroyed by me along with various other people i now miracolously win against.

but now i need halp.
snakes d-air
luigi's d-throw combo's
diddy's banana crap.
anyone want to be helpful? these things just hurt me so bad
I'm not sure how the snake was using dair but if its after a tech chase there isn't anything you can do. You really shouldn't be getting hit by it other than that. All i can say is get better at sdi'ing out if its possible.

Don't play against luigi but i would think if you were spacing your nairs and fairs his traction would make it very hard to grab you. Is he baiting the air dodge, then nair FF and then jab to punish.

Unfortunately i don't think anyone has learned how to deal with bananas. I know that you you don't want to just throw them away because diddy will just pop out a new one close to him. Toss them in the air and learn to DACIT (dash attack cancel item toss). If anyone knows where that video showing how to do it is please post it and put in in one of our guides.

And can jigglypuff rest or luigi up us out of the jab combo and when we jab cancel.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Here's a vid for SDI'ing Snakes dair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Mez9ETEYQ . Shows you how to SDI some of his other moves too.

Luigi's dthrow combo's: DI better? Though at low %'s some of them are probably true combos.

Diddy's nanas: Learn to instant catch/throw/all those item stuffs. Don't let them get set up because it's really annoying. If you can't use nanas that well, just throw them up so they are out of the way for a while (because if you throw it at Diddy they can easily get control of it again).

Heartstring

Smash Legend
okay thanks guys, but i think i need to elaborate on stuff...

snake d-air: outo f the tech chase so im on the ground.

luigi d-throw combo's: jab1>dthrow>tipman u-air>tipman u-air>whatever he wants

narnas: jsut went and watched san vs gnes, guess the DACIT is useless then?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Doesn't help when they have a banana in hand.

DACIT's best use is instilling fear Diddy shouldnt be having about it :p

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Doesn't help when they have a banana in hand.

DACIT's best use is instilling fear Diddy shouldnt be having about it :p
I said if you've knocked him far away from his bananas. As in plural. He only has two. If they are both out, and then you knock him away from them: tada!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Unless you wanna do like a Full hop z drop banana catch fair to DACIT to chase him after the fair...

lol nvm maybe it's got some better uses outside of fear

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
dunno how practical this is, but can ike do the item bounce thing that peach does with her turnip?

Like getting above the opponent, dropping the item, grabbing it again and footstooling right after?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, i managed to instill fear into all the top players about eruption this fest
yay for the castle seige statues XD at the very leat gave mass amounts of lols.

also as for instant z-drop catching, ill get the resident diddy main to have a go, although i think it would only really work with b-air.

another side note, fair: great ledge tech chaser or greatest ledge tech chaser?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Catching bananas with Z-catch or nair (spaced) is good. Nair spaced is hard for diddy to punish (especially a well space retreating reverse nair), so either catching, then Z-drop-->nair, or nair catch works wonders, because it's simple and effective, among other thngs you can do.

I think DACIT is good if diddy's near the edge (so whatever attacks he may shield if it doesn't work he gets pushed offstage). I kind of temporarily forgot about DACIT when I was playing Gnes, lol. I'm just glad I can manage to play well vs top diddys on FD,SV, and BF.

Learning how to use items, and tricks like instathrow, etc at will is mandatory. Ike can instathrow items that are on the ground, and have room to do an aerial right afterwards. I haven't really tried this against diddy (works well vs snake), but it seems like it'll work very well.

For luigi, jump away and nair. Nair goes through just about every Luigi aerial approach, and tbqh, the luigi probably expects an airdodge, so if you do air dodge, you must have precise timing and decide whether you'll fast fall or not, etc.

Snake's dair, SDI the direction away from where snake is moving, I thnk.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
This may be a novice-ish thing to do, but has anyone tried releasing a QD at fox or falco's sideB?
Seeing that QD hits on frame 1 when connected, I'm thinking it might cancel their sideB (just like how san cancelled fox's sideB with his jab in that vid).

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
The startup for QD takes too long and is too recognizable for the fox/falco to sideB into it. I also don't think it'll hit, because QD and it's detection is pretty slow. + There's very little reward for getting a hit.

Jab is much easier, and you don't have to commit to using a move in case they do something else and you notice.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
i c, can you also cancel out their upB with jab?

Oh yeah, San, what you're impression on jab to dtilt near the ledge? Also, does it require you to be frame perfect so that they (any character) don't grab the ledge; or is it character specific (some won't grab the ledge as fast as others)?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can cancel out their upB with jab, but the timing is harder I think, because more than likely will be a dual collision.

jab-->dtilt? IMO try it whenever you can as quickly as you can. On floatier characters, jab-->dtilt is all you need and you should attempt it every time, but on heavier characters, you need to jab cancel a few times and cause them to be a little higher, like snake and Ike. You must be aware of how high they are above the ledge after you jab so you can expect the dtilt to work or not.

if you start jab canceling near the ledge, it may be an easier choice just to keep up the jab cancels rather than dtilt, especially against characters bad below the stage, or who lack quick aerials in front of them like snake and DK, especially if they're heavy. When they start to try to DI away from you, finish off the jab combo, or if you can't and they're getting too far away, downward ftilt or something like that.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Speaking of jab gimmicks on the ledge, I've been thinking about jab-> walk off Bair. If you can nail them with the hand portion of Bair then instead of sending them to the opposite side of the stage then it'll actually send them straight to the nearest blast zone. Seems less frame dependent than jab to dtilt as well (1 [variable]+7 versus 16).

7/22/2010
I am on vacation and I am writing about Ike's moves online. :/
Going to a place that I KNOW won't have internet tomorrow (some ****ty rustic backwoods area) so I'll catch you guys later.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I tested out jab-->walk off bair a few months ago. It's mostly only useful if they decide to double jump. It does have its uses though. I could see people dying to this, but it takes a good amount of commitment to use. It's well worth the risk at killing %.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
say, there's no chance for any of these to be guaranteed is there? People can airdodge to avoid anything that comes after jab near the ledge.

I'm guessing jab to walk off upair would take care of this, but not sure. And what about jab to aether, can that lead to aether spike ??

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
No, jab-->dtilt isn't guaranteed. It does almost always make the person have to air dodge under the stage, which isn't too bad, either.

walk off upair is way too slow to work. jab-->aether doesn't work because it's way too easy to DI. it may work on DDD or DK with a bit of luck, though.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Catching bananas with Z-catch or nair (spaced) is good. Nair spaced is hard for diddy to punish (especially a well space retreating reverse nair), so either catching, then Z-drop-->nair, or nair catch works wonders, because it's simple and effective, among other thngs you can do.

I think DACIT is good if diddy's near the edge (so whatever attacks he may shield if it doesn't work he gets pushed offstage). I kind of temporarily forgot about DACIT when I was playing Gnes, lol. I'm just glad I can manage to play well vs top diddys on FD,SV, and BF.
This is all good.. but I'll add that you should normally HIGHLY REFRAIN FROM ATTACKING DIDDY WHEN HE HAS A BANANA IN HIS HAND. Even spaced Nair on his shield gets punished by a tossed banana.
Also, a lot of Diddy Kongs dash in to follow up after they throw a banana, and I've gotten several by shielding or powershielding the banana and then jabbing or grabbing.

------------
People don't have to air dodge under the stage to avoid jab-dtilt. A lot can get a jump + air dodge in.
Also, even if they do air dodge, that air dodge will be over before you're done with Dtilt and on your way to Dair.

i can't alter the timing consistently enough but when you DACIT it can go different lengths the way the spacies can alter how far their side b goes. If one learned to master it every diddy would be scared of you having a banana because DACIT > Fsmash it a real threat from us. Also very situational but if you have a banana behind you and you grab diddy you could back throw diddy and maybe have enough time to follow up with a tilt of your choice or maybe up smash. Also grab diddy and your banana is right behind him is a perfect set up into Fsmash. Diddy should fear ike. You could even use the last one after a failed DACIT attempt where he side dodged the banana

Heartstring

Smash Legend

Learning how to use items, and tricks like instathrow, etc at will is mandatory. Ike can instathrow items that are on the ground, and have room to do an aerial right afterwards. I haven't really tried this against diddy (works well vs snake), but it seems like it'll work very well.

For luigi, jump away and nair. Nair goes through just about every Luigi aerial approach, and tbqh, the luigi probably expects an airdodge, so if you do air dodge, you must have precise timing and decide whether you'll fast fall or not, etc.

Snake's dair, SDI the direction away from where snake is moving, I thnk.
excellent, i now need to go find out what z-dropping and instathrowing is, though im going to take a guess that you jsut press A twice for instathrow...

also i try to jump away from the luigi, its hard as he normally hits me before hitstun ends or before i can use my second jump, ill have to wait till next smashfest to try this out TT_TT

sdi is a wierd thing, i dunno if its right but can you SDI with the tilt-stick?

edit: also yeah ally is in france, i was originally gonig to that tournament, but then i saw the price of international travel...
but the uk's top snake, marth, falco and diddy mains are gonig to this, if you take a look at the tournament and see a guy called calzorz, that would be the uk's best (he normally wins europe toruneys)

Top Bottom