• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike : A Detailed Matchup Guide; #33 - Ness

MrEh

Smash Hero
Ike could just be standing by the edge. Aether would **** Bowser from there.
Unless you predict the Bomb coming, the Bomb will move Bowser fast enough to grab the ledge before you can realistically use Aether most of the time. This is mostly theorycraft though, so I won't argue about it too much. :)

A lot of the time I'll try to Klaw you while landing, but that's just because it autocancels and beats out almost everything. (The Klaw is awesome.)

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Unless you predict the Bomb coming, the Bomb will move Bowser fast enough to grab the ledge before you can realistically use Aether most of the time. This is mostly theorycraft though, so I won't argue about it too much. :)

A lot of the time I'll try to Klaw you while landing, but that's just because it autocancels and beats out almost everything. (The Klaw is awesome.)
Except when you get usmashed or faired right out of it by Ike's dominating range.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Except when you get usmashed or faired right out of it by Ike's dominating range.
Yeah, the Klaw won't beat that. (Unless it's like, spaced very badly, which I doubt will happen.)

Bowser's options are really dependent on Ike's positioning though. ><

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yeah, the Klaw won't beat that. (Unless it's like, spaced very badly, which I doubt will happen.)

Bowser's options are really dependent on Ike's positioning though. ><
Its pretty much range and spacing vs grabs and fire..

But everyone knows you fight fire with fire :laugh:

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'd just like to take a brief moment to say that MrEh is one of the more civil posters I've seen anywhere for the longest time. He answers all queries in a proper fashion, kudos to you.

Plus his Italian Spiderman avatar and signature are amazingly hypnotic, eesh.

Anyways, the match-up is pretty straightforward. Powerhouse versus Powerhouse. Ike is a bit stronger than Bowser, but Bowser manages to even this out by being a bit heavier (horizontally for sure, vertically I can't say). Bowser is pretty easy not to be grabbed by, and generally the game is basically the Ike spacing a lot.

There was a time where I would have called this quite favorable for Ike, but it really is pretty good for both parties. If I had to give a solid number based on my experiences and the hard facts, I'd argue something like 55:45 Ike's favor.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Its pretty much range and spacing vs grabs and fire..
Pretty much. Remember that Bowser can space very well himself, and he can attack much faster then most would expect.

I'd just like to take a brief moment to say that MrEh is one of the more civil posters I've seen anywhere for the longest time. He answers all queries in a proper fashion, kudos to you.
My reaction.

Plus his Italian Spiderman avatar and signature are amazingly hypnotic, eesh.
Italian Spiderman is the greatest thing ever created.

Anyways, the match-up is pretty straightforward. Powerhouse versus Powerhouse. Ike is a bit stronger than Bowser, but Bowser manages to even this out by being a bit heavier (horizontally for sure, vertically I can't say). Bowser is pretty easy not to be grabbed by, and generally the game is basically the Ike spacing a lot.

There was a time where I would have called this quite favorable for Ike, but it really is pretty good for both parties. If I had to give a solid number based on my experiences and the hard facts, I'd argue something like 55:45 Ike's favor
I actually think it's even, but that's just from a Bowser player's perspective. Whether the matchup is 45-55, 50-50, or 55-45, it really don't matter much since all of those ratios pretty much mean "it's even."

Or really close to it.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Indeed, 45:55 to 55:45 is such a minimal difference that it really is just even. I'd even argue that 6:4 to 4:6 is still pretty much 99% player skill dependent.

And to anyone reading this topic who has not see Italian Spiderman, go on Youtube and watch it. A better use of your life than most of the stuff out there.

EDIT:
So any Ike players in hawaii MrEh? My friend actually tried dating someone online from hawaii before ;o
It appears both the Pacific ocean and the North American continent can't stop true love, can they?

:p

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

umm no you can react with aether from the bomb. this isn't theory crafting I've done it.

edit: not trying to sound like an *** and make another discussion turn into a flame war btw just saying.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It appears both the Pacific ocean and the North American continent can't stop true love, can they?

:p
NOPE... but religion can ^^ (She was Mormon and he wasn't [the complications are way too hectic])

umm no you can react with aether from the bomb. this isn't theory crafting I've done it.
Burrito you're probably the biggest theory debunker. There is something called reaction lag lol...

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
For the record, both the aerial and grounded versions of Aether hit on frame 18, the same frame (IIRC) that the super armor frames activate.

I had the hit data tested by a friend (hotgarbage) since I was curious to see if there was any discrepancy between the hit times.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'm not sure how to take your comment ussi. (I just tried spelling it commot for the second time today) Is it a good thing or an insult?

And there shouldn't be much reaction lag if bowser is above the ledge just be ready to aether simple as that. He floats in the air for a bit before falling and from there has has nowhere to go but towards your spike. I would just recommend avoiding this in the whole match because it's like Ike's QD recovery if your opponent is close to you your ****ed.

MrEh

Smash Hero
So any Ike players in hawaii MrEh? My friend actually tried dating someone online from hawaii before ;o
There is only one Ike player in Hawaii worth mentioning. His name is Lucky, and he's pretty darn good if I do say so. The dude is very tricky with his Fsmash, and I've experienced it first hand at a tournament. (I did win the set though, so yay me.)

Here's a video of Lucky, and the rest of his crew.

Lucky is seen throughout the video using Ike. Once with Pikachu.

edit: not trying to sound like an *** and make another discussion turn into a flame war btw just saying.
Nah, it's fine. I'm not the type to argue anyway. I'm just here to promote healthy debate. Plus, it's such a minor thing anyway. :p

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm not sure how to take your comment ussi. (I just tried spelling it commot for the second time today) Is it a good thing or an insult?

And there shouldn't be much reaction lag if bowser is above the ledge just be ready to aether simple as that. He floats in the air for a bit before falling and from there has has nowhere to go but towards your spike. I would just recommend avoiding this in the whole match because it's like Ike's QD recovery if your opponent is close to you your ****ed.
Consider it a insulting compliment :laugh: You debunk things that should be debunked but also I find some things iffy from what you say.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Yeah.
Charizards fire sucks balls, if you aim Bowser's correctly that little tiny bit will still own QD, as I've done on Renegade plenty of times.

Silly Charizard.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I think ftilt's range >fire's range. Haven't checked that though. Either way, it's close, so you wouldn't be able to keep fire out that long even if you do outrange ftilt with it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
are you out of it nidtendo? Fire vastly out ranges ftilt. However rolling behind is good idea if he jumped that close to you. Otherwise roll backs to restart. Or QD under.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Fire outranges like, everything. And yeah, it's way better then Charizard's.

As far as spot dodges go, having about 5 frames of vulnerability at the end of a dodge is average. Bowser has 9 frames, which shows how bad he is. ><

If Ike has a good spot dodge, then he most likely has something like 4 or 3 frames of vulnerability. I definately know that it's not as good as Yoshi's or Falco's, which is like 2 frames each.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Whoosh!

I just tested Quick Draw versus Bowser's Fire aimed up, down and neutral.

Fire was allowed to run all the way do and Quick Draw beat it consistently every time. You can see the little circles of outprioritization. Quick Draw also has a fast charge release, so it's a pretty good "counter" to Fire, I suppose.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Whoosh!

I just tested Quick Draw versus Bowser's Fire aimed up, down and neutral.

Fire was allowed to run all the way do and Quick Draw beat it consistently every time. You can see the little circles of outprioritization. Quick Draw also has a fast charge release, so it's a pretty good "counter" to Fire, I suppose.
Nice. I guess we now have another option against Bowser's Fire.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Yea, we were talking about how QD could beat out a fire all the way through since we can charge QD forever... We were doing a fire vs QD challenge.
Yeah, but a Bowser player will never keep shooting Fire if you're not getting hit by it. As soon as you break out, he'll stop shooting. If he misses the Fire altogether, then he'll just stop shooting as quick as possible.

No Bowser will just shoot Fire and let you Quick Draw in front of him. Fire is very punishable if you're not getting hit by it. XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yeah, but a Bowser player will never keep shooting Fire if you're not getting hit by it. As soon as you break out, he'll stop shooting. If he misses the Fire altogether, then he'll just stop shooting as quick as possible.

No Bowser will just shoot Fire and let you Quick Draw in front of him. Fire is very punishable if you're not getting hit by it. XD
But if you let go of fire we still punish you with QD, that's the thing.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion

I'm not sure what the fire cooldown time is, but QD's charge release time to hit is from 2 to 12 frames. I'm fairly sure that'll hit a Bowser that stopped using fire.

EDIT: Oh wow, Ussi got to it before me. Allow me to commit honorable suicide.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Uncharged quick draw does like, 10% right?

Definitely worth the risk. Fire is just too good to not use. :p

MrEh

Smash Hero
well its free damage lol... and QD can kill when charged..
It's really unlikely to be charged though. I can definately see myself getting hit by the uncharged version though.

Plus, it's Bowser. That dude survives insanely well. ><

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It's really unlikely to be charged though. I can definately see myself getting hit by the uncharged version though.

Plus, it's Bowser. That dude survives insanely well. ><
if it isn't charged we'll stop in front of you and utilt/jab >utilt :OOO Bowser's not a vertical survivor now is he now!

MrEh

Smash Hero
if it isn't charged we'll stop in front of you and utilt/jab >utilt :OOO
Bowser's Fire has considerable range. It's most likely that you won't be able to Jab or Tilt him after you've DI'ed out of it. Quick Draw is believable though.

Bowser's not a vertical survivor now is he now!
He has the 2nd best vertical survivability if I remember correctly, after Dedede.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You'd want to kill Bowser horizontally, not vertically. >_>

And yeah, Mr. Eh is awesome. He gave the Mario boards a good time. :p

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Bowser is better at surviving vertical attacks than Ike by 3% IIRC and a bit more horizontally, made up by Ike's power advantage anyhow.

In any case, regardless of how heavy Bowser is, nobody wants an extra 10% against a powerhouse, do they?

Top Bottom