• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to remove 20 characters from Ultimate, who would they be?

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Easy!

:ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultdoc::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit:

Remove the (semi)-clones and Mii Fighters. No point in having them if we really have to "make space." (Yes I know Richter is the Echo but I just like how Richter looks more). That is 11 gone right there. Next you just select the next few you hate the most.

:ultduckhunt:
Since Ice Climbers came back, there isn't a big point in having Duck Hunt Dog as an NES rep.

:ultbowserjr:
I never really got the inclusion of Bowser Jr. and I never really enjoyed him. So he is easy to cut for me.

:ultwiifittrainer:
Wii Fit Trainer was put into "represent" the Wii era. However, I didn't enjoy his inclusion so she is gone for me.

:ultrosalina:
i main a grappler so **** this character

:ultpacman::ultmegaman:
I just don't care for these characters too much. After this point (last 4) it has gotten extremely hard for me to choose...

:ultgnw::ultrob:
It is hard for me to say my (theoretical) goodbyes to these characters. I don't play them at all, but they were a huge part of the story mode in Brawl and that made me love them.

:ultshulk:
He has an extremely cool concept and I love who he is, but... He is just such a bad character design wise and unless Sakurai buffs him, I don't really want him around. I know, I know, dumb reason to remove a character.

That is all the 20 people I'd remove. Hard choices on the last 3.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Anyone who cuts K.Rool in their roster needs to get taken out back, Old Yeller style. Sorry. If Ganondorf remains on your roster despite not having appeared in a main game since Twilight Princess in 2006, Bowser can remain on the roster despite missing only 3 Mario games (Land, SMB2 USA, and Land 2) just like K.Rool (Returns, Tropical Freeze, Jungle Beat), and Ridley remains on your roster despite missing Prime 2: Echoes, Metroid 2: Return of Samus, AND Federation Force and only just became "Relevant" again in Samus Returns last year. Tired of K.Rool getting hit with the "relevancy" bias but GUARANTEE you now that he's in Smash and Nintendo has seen the overwhelming positive reception to him he's never not gonna be in another DK game again.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Just because I love to cause myself suffering, I'm going to force myself to cut all BUT 20.

First I take the entire roster by franchise
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultwario::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultcorrin::ultness::ultlucas::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob::ultfalcon::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter:

If Smash Bros was rebooted, first thing I would do is focus solely on the Nintendo All Stars, so cutting all the third party characters.
Cut:
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Remaining:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultwario::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultcorrin::ultness::ultlucas::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob::ultfalcon::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:
Cuts Remaining: 41

Next Up Would Be Removing All Echoes and Some of the clones
Cut:
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultdarksamus::ultpichu::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultdarkpit:
Remaining:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultrosalina::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultwario::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultness::ultlucas::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob::ultfalcon::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:
Cuts Remaining: 32

Since I need to really trim the roster, I am removing at least one character in every franchise that still has more than one character, and four is the maximum amount a franchise can have. (I am going by how Smash organizes series)
Cut:
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultdarksamus::ultpichu::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultsheik::ultzss::ultmetaknight::ultfalco::ultlucario::ultjigglypuff::ultroy::ultcorrin::ultlucas::ultpalutena::ultvillager:
Remaining:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultwario::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultness::ultpit::ultisabelle::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob::ultfalcon::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:
Cuts Remaining: 18

Now is the time that how relevant each character is really counts (Smash, cameos, rereleases, virtual consoles and spinoffs do not count). These guys need to be characters people will see. I decided ten years seems good enough. Historical and/or retro characters will be added in sequel games.
Cut:
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultdarksamus::ultpichu::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultsheik::ultzss::ultmetaknight::ultfalco::ultlucario::ultjigglypuff::ultroy::ultcorrin::ultlucas::ultpalutena::ultvillager::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob::ultfalcon::ultness::ultmarth::ultike::ultganondorf:
Remaining:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultwario::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultrobin::ultpit::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:
Cuts Remaining: 9

The arguably hardest round of cuts were: :ultluigi::ultdiddy::ultwario::ultwolf::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultlittlemac::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:

The Only 20 Roster
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultpit: :ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultshulk::ultolimar:

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
All these people cutting characters that are the only ones representing their series...

I'd only cut characters from series that already have plenty of representation like Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
:ultbayonetta: - Never actually won the ballot, and not a fan.
:ultdoc: - if we have another Mario it should be Paper Mario. Can be an alt
:ultjigglypuff: - Would have cut awhile ago.
:ultpichu: - Really bad gen2 rep.
:ultlucina::ultchrom: - Just need 1 Marth, they can be alts.

Then a bunch that I think aren't needed because their series is represented enough (imo)

:ultyounglink: - I can't wait to use him again, but in reality having 3 Links is not needed, and Toon reps many games.
:ultdarkpit: - Alt him.
:ultdarksamus: - Alt.
:ultlucas: - This is just me not being an Earthbound/Mother/whatever fan and thinking Ness is enough.
:ultrichter: - Alt Simon, or Simon alt of Richter idc.

That's 11, now for some that I think should have been a one time thing, or I just think are outdated now.

:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultryu:

I guess I'd just make most of them alts. I didnt remove the Miis because I guess in my head they arent fighters, lol i just ignore them. I guess if I designed the game I would make many more alts, rather than echos and semi clones. I love that all the Koopalings are playable, and i dont care that they have the same moveset, it makes sense, so I'd alt Daisy as well, and probably a ton of others, even Lucas to Ness, then it would feel like a much bigger roster, no?

In reality tho the only characters I wouldn't have minded getting cut are Jigglypuff and Pichu, as a pokemon fan I'd really like it if we got one big hitter from each gen, or even just make PTs by gen, the exception being Mewtwo, since he's known to be one of the hardest pokemon to catch, it'd make sense he would be a standalone like Pikachu, who I dont like but hes the mascot so. *shrug*

my 2 cents.

DemonRhys

Smash Rookie
:ultyounglink::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultrichter::ultdaisy::ultwiifittrainer::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::ultpichu:
:ultchrom::ultroy::ulttoonlink::ultdoc::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultdarksamus::ultjigglypuff::ultsnake::ultduckhunt:

I personally found it hard to get rid of Dark Samus, Jigglypuff and Duck Hunt. But all the others were pieces of cake in my opinion and I wasn't gonna throw another Retro Character under the bus before I threw Bayonetta or Cloud under there. Simon, Mega Man, Ryu, Sonic & Pac-Man have a much more rich history on Nintendo consoles so they deserved to remain. Fire Emblem has too many clones outside of eachoes and I think Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin were the only unique characters out of that franchise. I wasn't going to sacrifice a villain that wasn't an echo either so Bowser, Bowser Jr, Wario, Wolf, K Rool and Ridley were definitely safe. Jigglypuff and Pichu had very uninspired moveset and in comparison to the other Pokémon reps they didn't really bring anything new to the table.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Ho ho ho muhahaha

:ultdaisy:Rather have Waluigi
:ultbowserjr:Well i prefer Bowser, also why does he always have to stay in the Clown Car, go out of the car and fight Bowser Jr !
:ultwiifittrainer:Weird to have a character MEANT FOR THE WII to be in a switch game
:ultjigglypuff:It's fame came from the 151 days now it's living in the dump
:ultdarkpit:Make him an alt
:ultbayonetta:Did she win the ballot ? i don't think so
:ultpichu:Not being mean but it's fine ESAM can love Pikachu but both ? Too much for me though i wanted Raichu but that's wishlist due to Pichu and Pikachu being in the game

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Anyone who cuts K.Rool in their roster needs to get taken out back, Old Yeller style. Sorry. If Ganondorf remains on your roster despite not having appeared in a main game since Twilight Princess in 2006, Bowser can remain on the roster despite missing only 3 Mario games (Land, SMB2 USA, and Land 2) just like K.Rool (Returns, Tropical Freeze, Jungle Beat), and Ridley remains on your roster despite missing Prime 2: Echoes, Metroid 2: Return of Samus, AND Federation Force and only just became "Relevant" again in Samus Returns last year. Tired of K.Rool getting hit with the "relevancy" bias but GUARANTEE you now that he's in Smash and Nintendo has seen the overwhelming positive reception to him he's never not gonna be in another DK game again.
Man, take a pill.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Please don't criticize other people's choices. If you disagree with them that's ok but don't make threats or try to convince them to change their decision.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yo man I love King K. Rool but let the people have their opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I change one of my answer to include :ultisabelle: but I'll have to decide which

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
20 is a lot but I'll do my best. Clones and echoes are a given, I never liked them. The only exception for me is Toon Link who should get a major rework, and Wolf who isn't even a clone to me. Then cut down on the excessive third party. Rest is simply personal bias.
:ultdoc::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbowserjr::ultlucario::ultfalco::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlucas::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultbayonetta::ultdaisy::ultroy:

Folt

Smash Ace
Like, if we're comparing the Zelda series to the Donkey Kong series, then Zelda is simply that much more popular.

Anyways, besides my cuts, I actually thought about who I'd include if I had to do an entire reboot, and came to this conclusion - sorted by which series would get playable reps if I were to do a reboot:

Mario - :ultmario:, :ultluigi:*, :ultpeach:, :ultbowser:, :ultbowserjr:*: 5

Donkey Kong - :ultdk:, :ultdiddy:: 2

Legend of Zelda - :ultlink:, :ultzelda:, :ultganondorf:*, :ulttoonlink:*: 4

Metroid - :ultsamus:, :ultridley:*: 2

Yoshi - :ultyoshi:: 1

Kirby - :ultkirby:, :ultmetaknight:, :ultkingdedede:: 3

Star Fox - :ultfox:, :ultfalco:* or :ultwolf:*: 2

Pokémon - :ultpikachu:, :ultmewtwo:*, :ultpokemontrainer:, :ultlucario:*, One new Pokémon character: 5 (with 7 movesets)

Mother - :ultness:*: 1

Super Smash Bros. - :ultmiifighters:: 1 (with 3 movesets)

Fire Emblem - :ultmarth:, :ultrobin, :ultcorrin:*, One new Fire Emblem character*: 4

Game & Watch - :ultgnw:*: 1

Kid Icarus - :ultpit:, :ultpalutena:*: 2

Wario - :ultwario:*: 1

Pikmin - :ultolimar:: 1

ROB - :ultrob:*: 1

Animal Crossing - :ultvillager:, :ultisabelle:*: 2

Punch-Out - :ultlittlemac:: 1

Xenoblade - :ultshulk:*: 1

Splatoon - :ultinkling:: 1

An asterisk denotes a secret character. Also, this isn't a finished roster in terms of newcomers and Guest Stars could still make it in (since this only concerns Nintendo characters for now).

As for why these choices? Rebooting something like Smash after Ultimate is going to require extreme trimming of the roster, so one-off characters and characters who are only really known due to Smash get cut (with some exceptions). For Fire Emblem, every character who only use a sword except for Marth get cut as well. For Mario and Zelda, characters were prioritized according to how likely they are to recur in the mainline games. As it is a reboot, there will be no Echo Fighters so despite some characters being based off of a character who is appearing here, they're excluded in favor of having a roster with uniques and semiclones.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. are all recurring iconic characters of the Mario franchise so all of them were kept. Rosalina is less relevant than the other five and Dr. Mario is the least relevant of them.

Donkey and Diddy Kong are THE icons of the Donkey Kong franchise so they are kept as well.

Link, Zelda, and to a lesser extent; Ganondorf and Toon Link, are also very iconic characters of the Zelda franchise with a high chance of appearing in future games so they are kept as well.

Samus and Ridley are the biggest icons of their franchise so they make the cut.

Yoshi speaks for himself.

Kirby basically has all the iconic Kirby characters here already so no cuts are made here.

As a floundering franchise, Star Fox for the purposes of the reboot is overrepresented, so either Falco or Wolf gets cut and the other stays on as a secret character.

For Pokémon, the cuts made are to Jigglypuff, Pichu, and Greninja. The rest are kept.

Time to address the elephant in the room: F-Zero and Mother are practically dead franchises since the GameCube/GBA era so cuts are needed to be done to excise one of these franchises of all playable representatives, with only one character out of Captain Falcon, Ness, and Lucas being kept. Ultimately, because Mother can't be repped well through stages like F-Zero can, Captain Falcon ended up on the chopping block. That leaves it up to deciding whether Ness or Lucas would be cut, and I feel Ness is the more iconic one of the two.

The Mii Fighters are kept as the Smash Bros. playable representative and as the customizable fighter of SSB.

As mentioned above, every Fire Emblem character who solely use a sword other than Marth end up on the chopping block, leaving Marth and Robin as the sole starter reps and Corrin + a new character as secret reps.

Mr. Game & Watch is one of the characters mostly relevant due to Smash to remain on the roster as a throwback to the Game & Watch handhelds.

Pit and Palutena are the sole reps of the Kid Icarus franchise.

Wario is the sole rep of his franchise.

Olimar stays the sole rep of his franchise.

ROB is the other character that's mostly relevant due to Smash to remain on the roster, due to his importance in Brawl's Subspace Emissary mode.

Both Villager and Isabelle are kept on the roster for Animal Crossing. Both rep the franchise completely fine on their own, so I do not see a need to add another AC rep.

Little Mac and Shulk are kept as a playable fighters; Little Mac because his franchise lends itself well to Smash and Shulk because Xenoblade is one of the newer and more relevant franchises these days.

Inkling is also kept due to Splatoon being one of the most successful recent IPs of Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Last time there was a thread on cutting (and replacing) characters, we couldn't even choose any clones or Miis. Now they're the easiest picks for seemingly most people here.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I'll take a whack at it. I'll use a rule someone made above, in which an Echo isn't removed unless the OG character is.
Starting with easy cuts that make the most sense:
  1. :ultpichu:: Doesn't have much significance at all, with the only three things going for it are 1) Is related to Pikachu, 2) Represents baby Pokemon 3) somewhat iconic due to Smash Bros and the cartoon.
  2. :ultdoc:: Is a clone of Mario, and not signficant enough to warrant being in the game.
  3. :ultyounglink:: Similar to Doctor Mario, because of his clone status as well as being not very significant.
  4. :ulttoonlink:: Same reasoning as Young Link.
  5. :ultbayonetta:: As a third party, Bayo doesn't have much significance. All the other 3rd parties are big in the gaming industry and they (or their series) have strong ties to Nintendo.
  6. :ultmiifighters:: Although they're iconic to Nintendo, they don't do much game other than act as a customizable character.
Now we move onto some of the harder cuts.
  1. :ultcloud:: From what we can tell, Square Enix is pretty stingy with their content (EX: only two songs in the game), so he seems like one of the harder characters to get back. (Therefore, he'd be an easier cut)
  2. :ultwiifittrainer:: Not an iconic character to Nintendo.
  3. :ultisabelle:: Although she is popular, Villager does a good job representing Animal Crossing on his own. Isabelle also isn't that important (especially compared to other characters.
  4. :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:: Although Simon is iconic to Nintendo, he's not as much of an All-Star as some of the others.
  5. :ultjigglypuff:: Jigglypuff just isn't iconic outside of Smash or the anime, and she hasn't been in it as a major character in a long time.
  6. :ultcorrin:: Although he's unique, he's not that popular or iconic of a character.
  7. :ultlucario:: He may be popular, but he's really not that iconic compared to other Pokemon.
  8. :ultgreninja:: Same as Lucario.
  9. :ultrosalina:: Rosalina isn't as big or important as the other Mario characters.
  10. :ultbowserjr:: Although he may be bigger than Rosalina, he doesn't quite reach the main four.
  11. :ultsheik:: Similar to Rosa and Junior's situation, Shiek just isn't that big compared to the other Zelda characters.
  12. :ultrob:: Although unique and iconic, he's not as iconic as Duck Hunt or Ice Climbers.
  13. :ultgnw:: Similar to ROB, he may be iconic to the Smash fanbase and to hardcore Nintendo fans, but he's much less recognizable to more casual fans.
  14. :ultzss:: It was ultimately down betweern her, Ike, and Falco. I cut ZSS due to her being a repeat of another character.
So after all my cuts the Ultimate Roster looks like this:
CutRoster.png

I'll address some things that I didn't above.
  • Mario is Overrepped: Maybe not the right term, but Mario does have the second most reps (4 characters and 1 echo). I think this justified because it is Nintendo's biggest series, and I did cut both Rosa and Junior.
  • Only Gen 1 Pokemon: While I wish it wasn't only Gen 1 Pokemon, these three are the most iconic of all the Pokemon characters.
  • Too Much Fire Emblem: Honestly the only reason they have so many is because I couldn't cut echoes.
  • 3rd Party Choices: I chose based on who I thought was most iconic, with really the only exception being Cloud. I figured he's probably the hardest character for Sakurai to get the rights to, so it just made sense to cut him.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Actually, I really like the idea of putting your roster in a chart. I'm not making it a requirement, of course, but it's certainly a convenience.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm glad 'everyone is here', but if 20 had to go:
:ultcloud: Tbh I just don't like playing against him
:ultdoc: I'm thinking of using Dr. Mario in Ultimate, but he's hardly important to the wider Mario series
:ultyounglink: We don't need three Links. Young Link is more expendable, as Toon Link represents Wind Waker and its sequels while Ganondorf already represents Ocarina of Time (as does Shiek). Young Link as he is barely represents MM, anyway.
:ultjigglypuff: I know she's seen as untouchable as she's been in since 64, but Jigglypuff really isn't that relevant to Pokemon anymore
:ultpichu:Pichu isn't that important to Gen 2 or Pokemon altogether; also it's easier to cut clones
:ultdarkpit: EZ PZ - bye bye
:ulticeclimbers: It would seem cruel to cut them when they've just come back, but they're probably the most expendable retro rep
:ultdaisy: Again, a fairly easy clone to cut
:ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom: I know Corrin's not all that popular, but I'd rather keep unique movesets
:ultsheik: Not that important to the Zelda series overall
:ultlucas:Mother is a pretty niche series, so it could be adequately represented by Ness alone
:ultfalco:Feel like we could probably get away with cutting one of the SF reps
:ultrichter: Again, echoes make for easy cutting
:ultdarksamus: See above
:ultrosalina: It remains to be seen, but she might not be as relevant in the post Wii/Wii U era: her not appearing in Odyssey was a possible sign of that.
:ultpalutena: Kid Icarus wouldn't be too hard done by if it was just repped by Pit alone
:ulttoonlink: I didn't want to cut one of my mains, but I'm running out of ideas for cuts...
:ultzss: We would still have Samus in the game - even if they play completely differently

Tbh this was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
(TL;DR, :ultdaisy::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultdoc::ultdarksamus::ultyounglink::ultmarth::ultroy::ultpokemontrainer:(all of them):ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultdarkpit::ultrichter::ultwiifittrainer::ultlucas::ultmiifighters:(all of them) )

Well, for starters, I'd remove the characters who have little relevance overall, or are "unnecessary/unpopular" echoes.
In my opinion, this means that :ultjigglypuff::ultroy::ultwiifittrainer::ultlucas::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus::ultyounglink::ultdoc::ultrichter:all go.

After this, I feel it's more reasonable to trim down some of the bigger series' rosters, rather than go for the few candidates other rosters have.
:ultbowserjr::ultmewtwo::squirtle::ivysaur::ultrosalina::ultmarth:

From here, it seems sensible to scrap the least popular characters among fans for the last few spots, with some exceptions made for certain characters in key franchises as their only rep.
:4charizard::ultrob::4miisword::4miibrawl::4miigun:

And that's that. I think after these 20 characters it becomes extremely difficult for me to trim down more characters, but if this were to happen, I think these are the best picks.

Some notable characters who I think a lot of people see merit in taking out, but I don't:
:ultbayonetta:I know after smash 4 everyone has a bad taste in their mouth, but Bayo's series is incredibly good and relevant due to Bayonetta 3 being on the horizon. She brings a unique set of tools to smash, and is worth keeping around.

:ultcorrin:Fire Emblem Fates sold well (better than any other entry in the series), and Corrin is both one of the easiest and most popular characters for people to play in Smash 4. Until we get a newer game in the series that outsells Fates, I think Corrin is important to keep in smash, despite how boring of a character Corrin is in their actual game.

:ultchrom: With Roy gone, he's literally just "Roy's moveset but on a character people actually like." Definitely worth keeping, is also a part of the main trio of probably the most important game in the series (even if old fans don't like it)

:ultlucina:Another part of the main trio of awakening. I think that, honestly, Lucina should replace Marth. Marth is one of the blandest characters in the entire FE series, and while I don't think Lucina's much better she's definitely more popular than Marth ever was. Though, Street Fighter did a similar thing of retconning members of the cast and replacing them with other characters who controlled the same, so maybe it would cause backlash...however, I believe that over time people wouldn't really mind anymore.

:ultfalcon:He is the epitome of Smash. His series may be dead, but Falcon is the smash bros character at this point.

:ulticeclimbers:Thought about it, but with how hard people rallied to bring them back, I think at this point they should stay for good.

:ultduckhunt:Even though I really don't care for this character at all, he's a very important part of Nintendo's history in gaming, which is the point of these retro reps.

:ultgnw: He's a colossal meme. While not to the same extent as Falcon, this character (or more specifically, his side-B) represent Smash.

:ultlittlemac:His niche is really cool and he's an awesome character who should never ever be removed.

:ultzss:Definitely thought about it, but her moveset is so unique that even though she's another Samus, I couldn't bring myself to remove her. Already removed Dark Samus too and Metroid is starving for reps, as well.

Some notable characters I scrapped:

:ultmarth:See Lucina's piece above.

:4charizard:Judging from competitive and casual player opinion, Charizard is a horribly flawed character who very few people play. He may be one of the most popular pokemon, but if nobody likes playing the character, he either needs a total overhaul, or he needs to be scrapped.

:ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer:(like damn dude, 5 pokemon reps? chill bro)
I think pokemon deserves its high number of reps considering how big of a series it is, but the gen 1 representation is wayyyyyyy too strong. Pikachu is all gen 1 needs as representation, and maybe Charizard as I mentioned above. It doesn't need 6 reps, there's six other generations to pull pokemon from, three of which don't have a rep yet.

:ultrosalina:Was relevant in one, debatably two games that came out 12 years ago, and has latched onto the Mario series like a virus ever since, showing up in every mario spinoff title despite being completely irrelevant. She definitely has her fans, and I personally love the Galaxy series and her appearance is nicer than Peach, but Peach is much more iconic to the series and Rosa serves little purpose.

:ultlucas:A character from a Japanese exclusive game from a series that sells worse than the Bayonetta series and hasn't been relevant in over a decade. Ness definitely needs to stay, but Lucas should have been left behind in Brawl in the first place.

Okay, I think that's about it. Doubt anyone's really gonna read this, but hey, writing this all up and thinking about it was a lot of fun.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm only making a post here so I can post something in this thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/if-...ate-this-time-who-would-they-be-part-2.458547

Going by the updated rules, I am only going to remove 10 characters.

Smash 64: :ultjigglypuff:

Sorry Jigglypuff. As time has marched on, Pokemon became popular independent of the anime, and most of your popularity went away when the anime more or less phased you out. While most of Captain Falcon's popularity comes from Smash, I also think F-Zero is a fantastic series and that it deserves some playable representation, so he stays.

Melee: :ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultroy:

People like the Ice Climbers because of them as a fighter, but not necessarily because Ice Climber was a masterpiece in game design or anything. There are better retro characters, sorry Popo and Nana. I think if Dr. Mario was included today, they'd be an alternate costume for Mario rather than their own character. I like Pichu but I have a different idea for a joke character. Roy is mostly popular because of Super Smash Bros. and while you could say the same about Marth, one's game is a pioneer in a genre and another's game was just the latest installment at the time, and FE6 is alright but not one of the most beloved FE games or anything so, no hard feelings Roy. I considered cutting Sheik but felt that they were an important part of Ocarina of Time, which is obviously considered one of the best games ever ever EVER, so they stay even if they are currently the only one-shot Zelda character as of now.

Brawl: :ultzss:

Brawl's newcomers were great all-around, but Zero Suit Samus just felt like an excuse to shove some fanservice into the game. Unlike Shiek who is also an alternate version of another character on the roster (Zelda from Ocarina of Time), ZSS isn't important to any of the Metroid games story- or gameplay-wise, just showing up in the last part of a remake of Metroid 1 and a little bit in the maligned Other M. I don't like her as much as I find her attractive and her moveset fun to use. Metroid isn't super character-focused so I don't feel bad since we still have the 3 most prominent Metroid characters in Smash if ZSS is cut, Metroid needs more stage and music representation than anything at this point.

Smash 4: :ultcorrin:

As much as I like Corrin as a fighter concept in Smash, FE: Fates is one of the most controversial games in the series. They're not entirely well-liked in their source game, which itself isn't entirely well-liked, and they're definitely not liked in Smash due to horrible timing for their inclusion. Seems like they can't win despite being part-dragon and having an awesome chainsaw sword. Nonetheless, similarly to the Ice Climbers, I'm cutting Corrin because their base game just isn't beloved enough.

Wow, I still need 3 characters to cut: :ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters:

I love all the third-party characters and almost all the current retro picks, and I love what Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters I have left after the cuts, ugh. I guess I'll pick all three Mii Fighters for the axe. I actually like the Mii Fighters quite a bit, but I suppose I'd rather play a proper character than a fighter made for customization.

R O F L

Smash Ace
The echos and clones would obviously go first::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultyounglink::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultdoc::ultdaisy::ultpichu:
The Miis of course::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters:
Fighters who never seemed important: :ultroy::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultlucas::ultgreninja::ultzss::ultbayonetta:
Personal Bias::ultlucario:

D

Deleted member

:ultyounglink::ultlink::ultwario::ultcorrin::ultkingdedede::ultgnw::ultlucas::ultfalco::ultcloud::4charizard:
:ultlittlemac::ultmegaman::ultkirby::ultinkling::ultmarth::ultsimon::ultryu::ultsonic::4miigun::ultlucina:

All decided via random number generator. TBF, there's no one I actively want cut.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
:ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultisabelle::ulticeclimbers::ultchrom::ultwiifittrainer::ultdoc::ultrichter::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultyounglink::ultdaisy::ultpalutena::ultdarksamus::ultroy::ultvillager::ultrobin::ultpichu:. I think that's 20.

An avarage Doc main

Smash Rookie
If it's a full reboot I would take out all characters that are CURRENTLY irrelevant within their own franchises, part of dead franchises, and 3rd party characters.:ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultrobinf::ultalph::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultpacman::ultness::ultgnw::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultbrawler::ultmiifighters::ultmegaman::ultlucina::ultmarth::ultlucas::ultlittlemac::ultkrool::ultjoker::ultjigglypuff::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultwiifittrainerm::ultwiifittrainer::ulttoonlink::ultsonic::ultincineroar::ultlucario::ultsnake::ultrichter:

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun: - Mii Fighters in general are boring characters.
:ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: - These fighters are way too similar to another fighter. Sure they have different personalities, and bring some unique moves to the table, but unless Sakurai has intents to fully declone them, then I think the Smash Bros community can live without them.
:ultdoc: - I wanted to tone down the Mario franchise. I don't think a whole lot of people would know Doctor Mario as anyone if he wasn't in Smash Bros. This one also happens to be a semi clone, so he's the first to go from the Mario universe.
:ultrosalina: - Rosalina for some reason was a well loved character at the time of Super Mario Galaxy, and she got unnecessarily shoved into future games including Smash Bros. She's cool but not that cool.
:ultyounglink: - Legend of Zelda is a franchise with more representation than any one needs, and I don't think we will need three different Links if we have to cut this many fighters. Two is stretching it already.
:ultsheik: - Much like how we won't be needing three Links, we won't be needing two Zeldas. Plus, Sheik only appeared in three games, one of which is a spin off of another one she appeared in. So I don't think we need this character.
:ultpichu: - Another franchise with too many fighters. Need to cut a few, and Pichu is way too similar to Pikachu.
:ultpokemontrainer: - I don't feel like Pokémon Trainer is a particularly good addition. It adds way too many first generation Pokémon, and contributes towards what I feel is a misrepresentation of the franchise as a whole.
:ultgreninja: - I don't think he needs to be in. Cutting down the overinflated franchises requires me to make sacrifices. I would also like to say that I would have reduced the Fire Emblem roster, but cutting the echos already did that for me.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Feels like a boring character that doesn't bring anything to the table. Plus, the Wii's time is over.
:ultduckhunt: - Only ever in one game, and he hasn't been around for long enough. Plus, it isn't even them that does the fighting in their actual game, so I don't see where half their moves are based on.
:ultolimar: - This could just be me, but I really don't see this little spaceman as a fighter. Using his Pikmin as living battering tools and throwing weapons to attack feels both wrong and extremely inefficient.
:ultlittlemac: - Punch Out isn't a popular franchise, plus his fighting style feels very weird. I don't see Smash Bros as a home for Little Mac.

So I see others are doing it below mine so I will show the roster of remaining fighters here.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley:
:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:
:ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultness::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultrob::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultryu::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:
With the recent additions, I want to go back and review my changes too.

:ultpiranha: - As much as I love how Sakurai is trying to add characters nobody expected, in a world where a ton of fighters must leave, this one will be a higher priority. Sorry Piranha plant, but you're just not cut out for a restrictive roster.

Everyone else can make a good addition to the roster and will be added. However, the exclusion of one newcomer means I can bring a formally cut veteran back. That's why I am putting Little Mac back in. So here's the new roster.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultpit::ultpalutena:
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultincineroar:
:ultgnw::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultness::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultrob::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultshulk::ultinkling:
:ultpacman::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultryu::ultken::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Last edited:
Top Bottom