• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to remove 20 characters from Ultimate, who would they be?

D

Deleted member

I'm going to exclude echo fighters unless the original is cut; in which the echo goes down with them.

:ultcloud: Association with Nintendo is rather weak.

:ultcorrin: I don't dislike them, but they feel too "flavor of the month" to me, so they're on the chopping block.

:ultlittlemac: His balance gimmick is too awkward. Plus Punch-Out isn't too big.

:ulticeclimbers: Not super important; plus their mechanics are awkward.

:ultjigglypuff: She hasn't been relevant for years.

:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: I never liked Miis, and their era is long over.

:ultpichu: Joke character. Only came back for Ult because everyone else did.

:ultpikachu: Extremely overrated Pokemon who only got popular because of a bad anime. Also a bad Pokemon in the mainline games.

:ultpokemontrainer: (:squirtle::ivysaur:) - Not only is the Pokemon Trainer a bad idea imo, but these two don't really stand well on their own as solo characters.

:ultrobin See Corrin.

:ultroy::ultchrom: See Corrin/Robin.

:ultryu: Just not a fan of SF.

:ulttoonlink: Wind Waker was the weakest 3D Zelda; and it's art style did not need to extend to other games. Toon Link is neither cute or funny imo

:ultwiifittrainer: The "casual" crowd has long left Nintendo; plus the "Wii" era is over.

:ultyounglink: Only came back because "Everyone is Here!"

:ultzss: Doesn't reflect the Metroid series too well, given that she's basically Samus without her trademark Power Suit. Would work better as a "Justin Bailey" alt for Samus.

Last edited by a moderator:

firesnake45

Smash Rookie
just remove all the fire emblem characters besides ike marth and roy no one cares about them LMAO

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Might as well...

:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultgreninja::ultsheik::ulttoonlink::ultrob::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultlucina::ultbowserjr:

Not that I would want to cut most of these characters but if I had to it would probably be these 20.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun: - Mii Fighters in general are boring characters.
:ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: - These fighters are way too similar to another fighter. Sure they have different personalities, and bring some unique moves to the table, but unless Sakurai has intents to fully declone them, then I think the Smash Bros community can live without them.
:ultdoc: - I wanted to tone down the Mario franchise. I don't think a whole lot of people would know Doctor Mario as anyone if he wasn't in Smash Bros. This one also happens to be a semi clone, so he's the first to go from the Mario universe.
:ultrosalina: - Rosalina for some reason was a well loved character at the time of Super Mario Galaxy, and she got unnecessarily shoved into future games including Smash Bros. She's cool but not that cool.
:ultyounglink: - Legend of Zelda is a franchise with more representation than any one needs, and I don't think we will need three different Links if we have to cut this many fighters. Two is stretching it already.
:ultsheik: - Much like how we won't be needing three Links, we won't be needing two Zeldas. Plus, Sheik only appeared in three games, one of which is a spin off of another one she appeared in. So I don't think we need this character.
:ultpichu: - Another franchise with too many fighters. Need to cut a few, and Pichu is way too similar to Pikachu.
:ultpokemontrainer: - I don't feel like Pokémon Trainer is a particularly good addition. It adds way too many first generation Pokémon, and contributes towards what I feel is a misrepresentation of the franchise as a whole.
:ultgreninja: - I don't think he needs to be in. Cutting down the overinflated franchises requires me to make sacrifices. I would also like to say that I would have reduced the Fire Emblem roster, but cutting the echos already did that for me.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Feels like a boring character that doesn't bring anything to the table. Plus, the Wii's time is over.
:ultduckhunt: - Only ever in one game, and he hasn't been around for long enough. Plus, it isn't even them that does the fighting in their actual game, so I don't see where half their moves are based on.
:ultolimar: - This could just be me, but I really don't see this little spaceman as a fighter. Using his Pikmin as living battering tools and throwing weapons to attack feels both wrong and extremely inefficient.
:ultlittlemac: - Punch Out isn't a popular franchise, plus his fighting style feels very weird. I don't see Smash Bros as a home for Little Mac.

So I see others are doing it below mine so I will show the roster of remaining fighters here.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley:
:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:
:ultness::ultlucas::ulticeclimbers::ultfalcon::ultrob::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultgnw::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultryu::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Okay, let's see..

Characters I dislike:
:ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultwiifittrainer::ultrob:

Characters I feel like are pretty unnecessary:
:ultdoc::ultjigglypuff::ultgnw::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultrichter::ultdarkpit:

Other characters that are (to me) not too important:
:ultbayonetta::ultlucario::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultcorrin:

I've made a roster with only 30 characters out of all currently confirmed for Ultimate, so I had already thought about this and would be able to list the rest to remove if I had to.

But if it's just 20 then I'd remove these I guess.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Young Link. Dr. Mario, Cloud, Snake, Sheik, Daisy, Ryu, Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man, Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Bayonetta, Pichu, R.O.B, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner, Mii Swordfighter, Ice Climbers.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Lucario and Greninja are my two favorite Pokémon, so ouch, that hurt seeing them so many times
My 20
1.Jigglypuff: too many gen 1 mon. Give the other gens some love
2.Bayonetta: because Bayonetta
3-5.Miis: I prefer the miis to be their own fighter. Take moves from the games you used the miis in
6.Wii Fit: why?
7.Chrom: I don’t play FE, but doesn’t chrom come from the same game as Robin? Robin is far more unique
8.Lucinia: See Chrom
9.Dark Pit: Kid Icarus isn’t a big enough series
10.Pichu: Far better gen 2 mons
11.Falco: Tough but Wolf is way cooler. I swear I’m not a furry!
12.Corrin: I like playing as them but I don’t need this much FE
13.Young Link: Toon Link is just a better choice
14.Daisy: Who the hell wanted daisy?
15.Cloud: How about a FF character from a Nintendo console?
16.Shulk: WHO?
17.Snake: I think Bomberman would fit smash better
18.Ice Climbers: I never thought they were interesting
19.Dr.Mario: A bit pointless
20.Rosalina: I don’t think she’s important enough

Characters I left in:
Richter- He’s more popular in Japan than simon
Lucario & Greninja- Some personal bias and I think they should represent more than gen 1 in smash

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
:ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultrichter:
Too similar too another character / could be an alt
:ulttoonlink:
Young Link has more potential to be unique with mask transformations
:ultsheik:
Would rather have Impa
:ultike:
Would rather have Black Knight
:ultcorrin:
FE is fine with one 3DS era character
:ultpichu:
Clone character / would rather have a different 'mon from GSC, like Suicune.
:ultgreninja:
I'm fine with Pokemon cycling out the popular current gen rep.
:ultlucas:
Ness is okay as the sole Mother rep.
:ultwiifittrainer:
No real reason, just needed to bump towards 20
:ultcloud:
Would rather have Black Mage
:ultsnake:
Would rather have Bomberman
:ultryu:
Would rather have Arthur (Ghosts & Goblins)
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
I actually like the Mii fighters, but at the end of the day, I'm okay with them being the NPC opponents in multiman Smash.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
:ultmiifighters: - Who even cares about these guys? They're by far the least welcome addition to Smash.
:ultpichu: - Again, who cares?
:ultdarkpit: - A character that exists solely because Pit had a Black alt costume in Brawl. Quite possibly the laziest character in Smash.
:ultdoc: - Doesn't really deserve to be his own character. I don't know why they didn't make him an Echo. Either way, he shouldn't be in the game.
:ultjigglypuff: - I don't quite like her gameplay, and she's a bit of a boring choice, like Pichu.
:ultduckhunt: - If any character should regress into an Assist Trophy, it's this one. If you're pining for NES-era representation, Little Mac should be more than enough.
:ultdaisy: - I don't hate her, but I don't think she's interesting or unique enough to warrant a spot.
:ultsonic: - I despise Sonic. If he were to change to his classic design, I would welcome him with open arms, but in the meantime I can't stand his edgy 90s teenager aesthetic and what it represents.
:ultlucina::ultchrom: - Ok, this one is strange because I don't want these characters gone, but to be honest I cannot stand more Marth clones. I know that Chrom is 'technically' a clone of Roy, but Roy is/was a clone of Marth. Robin gets to stay because he's enough representation for FE:A, as well as having an interesting moveset. Same goes for Corrin.
:ultdarksamus: - I don't hate her, but she doesn't really deserve a slot if we're talking about removing characters.
:ultolimar: - Sorry to Olimar fans, but I've never played Pikmin, and I despise his moveset immensely.
:ultpacman: - I'm removing him on moveset alone. I knew that Pac-Man didn't have any moveset potential, and I was right. Not only that, but... he doesn't really feel like a good Smash candidate to me.
:ulttoonlink: - Sorry Toon Link fans, but Ocarina of Time takes precedence in representation over Wind Waker. Plus I detest the Wind Waker art style.
:ultpokemontrainer: - I don't like the triple character mechanic. Charizard alone was a better choice.
:ultbowserjr: - Doesn't really stand out enough in the Mario games to warrant an inclusion, honestly. He's, what, a C-tier villain, after Wario and Waluigi?
:ultgreninja: - I don't like most new Pokemon designs. Greninja is no exception.
:ultlucas: - As much as I like him, he's not really worth keeping.
:ultpit::ultpalutena: - I'm probably gonna catch some flak for this but... does anyone really care about Kid Icarus? Anyone at all?

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
So disappointed in all the people cutting Inklings and Olimar 2 characters that represent very popular Nintendo franchises in a NINTENDO fighting game but leaving characters like Snake and Cloud in when they have very little Nintendo history AT ALL. Granted I know you have to cut 20 characters so some Nintendo characters have to get the chopping block but man to me it just feels wrong. Like I said I'm in the minority but every 3rd party character would get the axe (or never would've gotten in) if I was in charge of Smash.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
:ultmiifighters: - Who even cares about these guys? They're by far the least welcome addition to Smash.
:ultpichu: - Again, who cares?
:ultdarkpit: - A character that exists solely because Pit had a Black alt costume in Brawl. Quite possibly the laziest character in Smash.
:ultdoc: - Doesn't really deserve to be his own character. I don't know why they didn't make him an Echo. Either way, he shouldn't be in the game.
:ultjigglypuff: - I don't quite like her gameplay, and she's a bit of a boring choice, like Pichu.
:ultduckhunt: - If any character should regress into an Assist Trophy, it's this one. If you're pining for NES-era representation, Little Mac should be more than enough.
:ultdaisy: - I don't hate her, but I don't think she's interesting or unique enough to warrant a spot.
:ultsonic: - I despise Sonic. If he were to change to his classic design, I would welcome him with open arms, but in the meantime I can't stand his edgy 90s teenager aesthetic and what it represents.
:ultlucina::ultchrom: - Ok, this one is strange because I don't want these characters gone, but to be honest I cannot stand more Marth clones. I know that Chrom is 'technically' a clone of Roy, but Roy is/was a clone of Marth. Robin gets to stay because he's enough representation for FE:A, as well as having an interesting moveset. Same goes for Corrin.
:ultdarksamus: - I don't hate her, but she doesn't really deserve a slot if we're talking about removing characters.
:ultolimar: - Sorry to Olimar fans, but I've never played Pikmin, and I despise his moveset immensely.
:ultpacman: - I'm removing him on moveset alone. I knew that Pac-Man didn't have any moveset potential, and I was right. Not only that, but... he doesn't really feel like a good Smash candidate to me.
:ulttoonlink: - Sorry Toon Link fans, but Ocarina of Time takes precedence in representation over Wind Waker. Plus I detest the Wind Waker art style.
:ultpokemontrainer: - I don't like the triple character mechanic. Charizard alone was a better choice.
:ultbowserjr: - Doesn't really stand out enough in the Mario games to warrant an inclusion, honestly. He's, what, a C-tier villain, after Wario and Waluigi?
:ultgreninja: - I don't like most new Pokemon designs. Greninja is no exception.
:ultlucas: - As much as I like him, he's not really worth keeping.
:ultpit::ultpalutena: - I'm probably gonna catch some flak for this but... does anyone really care about Kid Icarus? Anyone at all?
You’d be surprised how many people like kid Icarus. I think pit should at least stay.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Me: *sees lucina on a lot of these lists* *crosses fingers that lucina becomes a marth alt. like alph and the koopalings*
*sees Miis on a lot of these lists* *crosses fingers that if they get cut after ultimate, we get a different kind of character creator*
*sees ZSS on a lot of these lists* *frantically googling nintendo characters that fight like ZSS*

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Me: *sees lucina on a lot of these lists* *crosses fingers that lucina becomes a marth alt. like alph and the koopalings*
*sees Miis on a lot of these lists* *crosses fingers that if they get cut after ultimate, we get a different kind of character creator*
*sees ZSS on a lot of these lists* *frantically googling nintendo characters that fight like ZSS*
Your text is... really hard to read.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't remove so many characters. Just K.Rool and Ridley is enough.

Echos, certain semi clones + too much similarity with some FE characters were a piece of cake, then it just came down to who was expendable in terms of interest.

:ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultlucas::ultlucario:
:ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultmiifighters:x3
:ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ulticeclimbers:
:ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ulttoonlink::ultsheik::ultzss:

Started to get real tough at around the 14 character mark though.

Ganondorf and Young Link to be revamped, Sheik and ZSS to return as transformations.
Considered removing Ivysaur and splitting the other two but PT just scraped through.

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Only counting uniquely numbered characters:
  1. :ultjigglypuff: (#12) - Mildly reluctant cut. She was originally in 64 due to her being a clone of Kirby and has stayed since, but lack of relevancy in comparison to other Pokemon and other characters in general send her down here.
  2. :ulticeclimbers: (#15) - Mildly reluctant cut. Obscure retro character that probably got in due to a dual character gimmick - there are better choices out there from the NES era, IMO.
  3. :ultsheik: (#16) - Mildly reluctant cut. Notable character from one of the most popular games in the Zelda franchise - but there really wasn't much to work with, making her implementation feel uninspired.
  4. :ultdoc: (#18) - Non reluctant cut. With a moveset that really didn't need to exist and barely represents his franchise (besides Megavitamins), Dr. Mario would feel better as an alternate costume or an echo fighter.
  5. :ultpichu: (#19) - Non reluctant cut. Not much to say, but even if Pichu is the cutest thing around, there's not much about them that really felt like that they had to be in Smash.
  6. :ultfalco: (#20) - Mildly reluctant cut. I'm not much of a fan of the Star Fox series, but considering how Fox's moveset was already rather original due to his status as an Arwing pilot and not a ground-battler, I don't see the need for another character who doesn't bring anything new to the table besides a slightly remixed version of Fox's moveset.
  7. :ultyounglink: (#22) - Non reluctant cut. Pretty much replaced with Toon Link in Brawl, Young Link serves no purpose in Smash, especially when he barely has anything to represent his appearences in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Nothing but a dated Link clone.
  8. :ultroy:/:ultchrom: (#25 & #25e) - Non reluctant cut. Roy had no need to be in the game at all, and feels like a soulless advertisement. With a highly derivative moveset and not much from his original game (except his Final Smash), I wouldn't mind if the resources that went into Roy went elsewhere.
  9. :ultzss: (#29) - Mildly reluctant cut. Another situation of "character that has mostly an original moveset because there's not much to work with." ZSS really didn't feel needed at all, honestly, but Metroid doesn't have much in the way of representation without her.
  10. :ultike: (#32) - Reluctant cut. Beloved by FE fans, Ike leaving would be a sad thing for many, but I'd personally prefer if a more unique Lord from Fire Emblem took his place. Even if his moveset is more unique than other FE swordfighters, what he does bring isn't much impressive.
  11. :squirtle: (#33) - Relucant cut. The Pokemon Trainer gimmick is really interesting, but he and Ivysaur really only feel like they only exist to satisfy Pokemon Trainer's specialty. With their removal, though, there isn't anything in Smash like what Pokemon Trainer does bring.
  12. :ivysaur: (#34) - Reluctant cut. See above.
  13. :ultlucas: (#37) - Reluctant cut. Mother 3 is a great game and I do love the character, but his inclusion is less justified when he does rip quite a few moves from Ness.
  14. :ultlucario: (#41) - Mildly relucant cut. Lucario is the best rep for Gen 4 of Pokemon, but I can't help but feel his inclusion in Smash is lame. Mewtwo has a similar energy-ball attack. Ryu does a much better job at the whole "martial arts" thing. His rage mechanic is now shared by all characters, just in a less powerful form.
  15. :ultwiifittrainer: (#47) - Reluctant cut. Wii Fit is an incredibly high-selling franchise and is one of the icons of the Wii. However, no one really asked for her inclusion at all - though, personally I can't help but feel but appreciate her inclusion. I'm a fan of bizarre characters, what can I say?
  16. :ultrosalina: (#48) - Reluctant cut. Rosalina feels like a superfluous addition, but her niche isn't really something that already exists in Smash Bros. Plus, people like playing as their favorite princesses. However, she's not neccessary enough for her to be a mainstay. Sorry, Rosalina!
  17. :ultpalutena: (#54) - Reluctant cut. Some will say that Palutena get in due to Sakurai's own bias for his own franchises, and I would somewhat agree with that. Yet, there's enough love put in the character to make her absence noticeable.
  18. :ultcloud: (#61) - Mildly reluctant cut. I really do think Final Fantasy should have some sort of representation in Smash. But just because Cloud is the most iconic Final Fantasy protagonist doesn't mean he's best fit in Smash - his game wasn't even on a Nintendo console! And considering SquareEnix's stinginess with their franchise, he brings less to the table than any other newcomer. I'm a Black Mage guy myself, anyway...
  19. :ultcorrin: (#62) - Non reluctant cut. Honestly, a travesty of a character. Like Roy, they feel like another painful advertisement, and not only that, they're rather unique, too - meaning resources were used on a character barely beloved by the fanbase instead of more worthwhile inclusions. Sure, their moveset is unique - but there's no reason for them to be in the game when there are other FE characters or characters in general that would be better than them any day.
  20. :ultbayonetta: (#63) - Mildly reluctant cut. Yes, Bayonetta is pretty much a Nintendo exclusive nowadays. But, honestly, I really think there are other third party characters that would be more fitting in Smash, and there are other characters who would represent the character-fighter genre better. And with what I'm hearing, it doesn't even seem like Bayonetta was the actual ballot winner. It also doesn't help that she's a broken, OP character and disliked by the Smash fanbase at large.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
20 is a lot. This will be tricky.

1.:ultcloud:2.:ultdarkpit:3.:ultdoc:4.:ultpichu:5.:ultyounglink:
6.:ultcorrin:7.:ultroy:8.:ultlucina:9.:ultchrom:10.:ultbayonetta:
11.:4miibrawl:12.:4miigun:13.:4miisword:14.:ultsnake:15.:ultrichter:
16.:ultdaisy:17.:ultrosalina:18.:ultbowserjr:19.:ultgreninja:20.:ultdarksamus:

I put them in order of who I'd be most okay with getting cut. Most of these I actually don't want cut.

Shade Vortex

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShadeVortex
3DS FC
3179-6062-5596
I would -not- remove:
The original 12.

But I would remove:
:ultdoc:1:ultpichu:2:ultfalco:3:ultyounglink:4:ultganondorf:5:ultroy:6
:ultwolf:7:ultdiddy:8:ulttoonlink:9:ultolimar:10:ultlucas:11
:ultwiifittrainer:12:ultduckhunt:13:ultrobin14:ultlucina:15:ultdarkpit:16
:ultsimon:17:ultchrom:18:ultdaisy:19:ultdarksamus:20
I removed the most annoying characters that I personally don't like to play as/against (Olimar, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit) and like, almost all the clones and semi-clones, even if they're ones that I like, plus most the FE chars lol

EDIT: Changed my choices.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I know, I'm a bad person:

:ultbayonetta: - third party, unfitting
:ultcloud: - third party, unfitting, annoying moveset
:ultdoc: - semiclone, better to be a costume
:ultduckhunt: - annoying, bland, pointless, in the original game you kill the ducks, here the duck and the dog are friends?!?
:ultfalco: - semiclone
:ultgreninja: - annoying and boring moveset, unimportant character
:ultike: - boring moveset
:ultjigglypuff: - unimportant character ignoring the anime, kirby semiclone with less actual moves and more sleep gimmicks, improve Kirby instead
:ultlittlemac: - annoying and boring moveset, bland character design, should have never been promoted to playable
:ultlucario: - useless when you have Mewtwo, who's also more iconic
:ultlucas: - clone
:ultluigi: - yes I did it. Make it an alt of Mario like Louie is an alt of Olimar... unless you give him an original moveset based on Luigi's Mansion
:ultlucina: - why there are 2 Marths?
:ultmegaman: - he's cool but I'd rather have no third parties
:ultmiifighters: - I want Mii to be an unique not-customizable character with moves based on the Wii- games, not this unnecessary waste of development
:ultmiifighters: - same
:ultmiifighters: - same
:ultpacman: - same as Megaman, I like him but I'd rather have no third parties
:ultpalutena: - makes sense in the roster but her moveset sucks
:ultdaisy: - why not simply an alt?
:ultpichu: - no need to explain
:ultdarkpit: - same as Daisy
:ultrob: - never liked this "character", it looks like a generic toy robot and I find its moveset not that much interesting
:ultrobin - I don't like his moveset, I prefer Corrin
:ultroy: - I choose to keep Marth, so, alt or out.
:ultchrom: - unnecessary
:ultryu: - third party
:ultdarksamus: - clone who could have easily been an alt. costume
:ultsheik: - uninspired moveset, never liked it since Melee
:ultshulk: - boring and unfitting... the monado arts gimmick is fun but the moveset sucks; despite being first party it feels like a third party character
:ultsimon: - third party
:ultrichter: - third party
:ultsnake: - third party, never liked his moveset
:ultsonic: - third party, while I like Sonic as a character, I absolutely hate how he has been represented in Smash
:ulttoonlink: - I choose to keep Young Link because I like his design more, especially now that Link is from BOTW, Young is the more traditional one
:ultwario: - I like Wario, but I dislike this version of Wario
:ultzss: - I don't like her moveset, it's uninspired like Sheik but even more boring
:GCB: - reserved slot for Bandana Waddle Dee/Waddle Dee in case he makes it in the roster

I finished... 37 cuts (possibly 38)

The remaining roster is:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultfox::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda:
34 characters.
IMO a much better selection of iconic Nintendo characters without the unnecessary spam.
Luigi is not there but I explaiend, his actual semiclone moveset sucks, unless they give him the vacuum and the light.
Wario is excluded for a similar reason: give him a decent moveset, mostly based on the Warioland series, or keep him out from the roster.
I may add Palutena back the day when Sakurai will make a good moveset for her.
About Jigglypuff, I wouldn't mid if instead of just cutting her, she would be replaced by Meloetta instead... still a singer, but a more unique and interesting one IMO, especially because of the ability to switch between the two forms and fight while dancing (unique moveset potential).
Regardless of the cuts, this roster is still missing Classic Ganon to be a true Nintendo All Stars roster... it's the only important classic character who's missing (excluding Toad who's part of Peach).
Eventually, a last gen Pokèmon, since all the ones I kept in the roster are Gen 1 (not intentional though);

Honorable mentions who were considered for the cut:
:ultbowserjr: - I'm not really fond of his moveset... but I'm ok kinda (also he's not that important as a character)
:ultdiddy: - not a big fan of his moveset as well
:ultganondorf: - he shouldn't be a clone, but he deserves to stay in the roster
:ultkingdedede: - I don't like how he plays in Smash, but he deserves to stay
:ultmetaknight: - same as Dedede
:ultgnw: - same as Bowser Jr (minus the not important part) and Diddy
:ultwolf: - semiclone kinda... though he's important for the franchise, and at least is more unique than Falco
:ultyounglink: - well, I wouldn't ever cut him, but he seriously needs to be decloned and use masks into his moveset

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Note: I'm not taking note of development time or specific playstyles. More so trimming characters I don't feel who are very deserving of a spot.
1:ultbayonetta:- Franchise isn't historic or legendary quite yet, and so don't think she warrants a spot in the game.
2:ultbowserjr:- Koopalings aren't very interesting characters imo.
3:ultdoc:- Paper Mario deserves to be the second Mario. Dr. Mario could so easily be an outfit change.
4:ultjigglypuff:- I'll never be too sure why she was added in the first place. Not really that iconic of a pokemon at all.
5:ultlucina:- She's a cool character, but 3 Awakening reps is a bit too much.
6:ultdaisy:- Just a Mario side character. (sorry Daisy fans)
7:ultpichu:- Pichu is cute, but Pikachu is fine on his lonesome.
8:ultdarkpit:- No. Why.
9:ultrob:- Cool concept, but I like the idea of actual characters in the games more.
10:ultrosalina:- See Daisy.
11:ultroy:- Trim those FE reps some more I guess.
12:ultsheik:- Sheik was in one Zelda game. I get she's cool, but she was just a side character in Ocarina.
13:ultrichter:- Yeah, Richter is neat, but to make the 3rd party series representation fair, I'd say he should go.
14:ultwiifittrainer:- I get why she was added, but I'm a firm believer that not every Nintendo thing needs to be repped with a character.
15:ultyounglink:- We got Toon Link, do we need three?
16:ultzss:- Kinda weird to have 2 characters of literally the same person.
17:ultmiifighters:- I get why they're here, but why pick a generic human when you have so many iconic characters at your disposal.

Last 3 are more reluctant cuts.
18:ultcloud:- Is iconic, but not really Nintendo oriented.
19:ultsnake:- Similar situation to Cloud.
20:ultpokemontrainer:- I really like the idea behind this guy, but I guess just too many gen 1 reps at this point.

Just because I'm curious, here's the remaining roster:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultsamus::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultmarth::ultike::ultchrom::ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultolimar:
:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultness::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultlittlemac::ultgnw::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultsimon:
...eh not bad, prob need to balance franchise reps a little better, but it looks alright to me.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I persinally wouldn't cut anyone but If I had to choose:

:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultjigglypuff::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultchrom::ultsheik::ultsonic::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss::ultyounglink::ultpikachu:

So my roster would look like:

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw::ultmetaknight:
:ultpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultryu:
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
:ultbayonetta::ultdoc::ultlucas::ultmiifighters::ultdarkpit::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ulttoonlink::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultpichu::ultrichter::ultsonic::ultlittlemac::ultinkling::ultsheik:

I suppose it would be these guys for one reason or another. Either annoying to fight against, not really terribly iconic, not a character I personally like, fighting style I don't enjoy, redundancy with the rest of the cast etc. Etc.

Although I'm the type of person who prefers no cuts and generally respects everyone's inclusion in Smash. Except maybe Dark Pit.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I'm redoing my list from before, mostly because I've changed my opinions since then.

:ultdoc:- Honestly, I don't see why he isn't just an alt of Mario.
:ultlucas:- Mother is merely just a cult classic, I don't see why it has 2 reps. Yeah, I like Lucas, but if I'm removing characters, he's gotta go.
:ultmiifighters:(Swordfighter) - I do like the customization, but I think 3 versions of this character is overkill. I'm removing 2 of them.
:ultmiifighters:(Gunner) - See above.
:ultpichu:- I really like Pichu, but it isn't hard to see why it it's being cut here. Just feels a bit redundant.
:ultdaisy:- Like Pichu above, feels a bit redundant.
:ultdarkpit:- Can be rolled into an alt. Hell, that's his origin.
:ulticeclimbers:- Considering Ice Climbers isn't even one of the more famous classics, I don't really think they should stay.
:ultrichter:- Richter is cool to have, but he's a bit much for Castlevania representation. Plus, I bet most people only know him as the guy who said "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!".
:ultrosalina:- Who are you and why are you so popular?
:ultlucario:- You aren't even a starter or of importance to the Pokemon canon. Why are you in this game?
:ultyounglink:- Why are there 3 Links?
:ultwolf:- 3 of the same character is overkill, again.
:ulttoonlink:- Why are there 2 Links?
:ultjigglypuff:- I get she's a classic and popular in Japan, but literally isn't that special a Pokemon.
:ultwiifittrainer:- Who are you? Why are you here at all?
:ultdarksamus:- The assist trophy was kinda better, tbh.

And to finish, THE GREAT FE CHARACTER PURGE

I'm removing only the echo chamber (:ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom:) because they're redundant, the other characters are unique and I think this series should have 4 characters to rep them. Sorry.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
1. :ultbayonetta:-No way she actually won the smash ballot imo, plus she caused a lot of people to stop enjoying smash 4.
2.:ultroy:-Marth clone #1. As much as I used to like and play Roy, he would be an easy cut.
3.:ultlucina:-Marth clone #2.
4.:ultchrom:-Marth clone #3
5.:ultcorrin:-Flavor of the month character and as far as I know not many people like Corrin. I love FE, but the series is too obvious for cuts.
6.:ultjigglypuff:-Should have been cut after 64 imo
7.:ultgreninja:-Flavor of the month Pokemon
8.:ultpichu:-joke clone from Melee
9.:ultdoc:-should have stayed cut
10. :ultyounglink:-I love Yink, but 3 Links is a little too much and Toon actually represents a good chunk of games.
11.:ultcloud:-Kind of represents the time where Square left Nintendo so it's weird.
12.:ultdarkpit:-Why?
13.:ultwiifittrainer:-Great wtf character for one game, but not a character I see many missing.
14. :ultlucas:-It gets hard here, but he was already cut at the beginning of smash 4.
15.:ultrosalina:- Not a priority Mario character imo, nor an easy echo to just throw in.
16. :ultbowserjr:-See above
17. :ultduckhunt:- Make way for Banjo and Kazooie
18.:ultrob:- Would have made a great assist trophy
19.:ultwolf:- Don't kill me
20.:ultmiifighters:-Not many people really play as them.

D

Deleted member

I find it unusual that this fandom is suprisingly okay with the idea of characters being cut, or at least taking part in specualting who could be cut.
Well, regardless, my 20 would be something like this.
#1::ultdoc: Don't think there's a need for him to be around anymore
#2: :ulttoonlink: We have Young Link back. That's more than enough.
#3::ultdarkpit: Wasted potential.
#4: :ultpalutena:Meh. Don't really see a whole of people going crazy about her.
#5: :ultwiifittrainer: See Palutena
#6: :ultbowserjr:See Palutana and Wii Fit
#7::ultjigglypuff: I don't understand how Puff mangaed to say around as long as she has. Is she really that popular?
#8: :ultpichu: See Dr.Mario
#9: Either :ultpokemontrainer: or:ultmewtwo:. I think two Gen 1 Pokemon in Smash is enough.
#10: Either :ultlucario: or :ultgreninja:. Tough choice between these two.
#11::ultmiifighters: Who honestly cares about these guys?
#12: :ultbayonetta: *sighs* I love Bayonetta, in fact she's my second favorite female video game character behind Samus, but she would probabbly be one of the ones to go. And no, it's not because she is hilariously broken.
#13::ultryu: The most expendable Third Party character to me.
#14: A three way tie between :ultsnake:,:ultcloud:, and:ultrichter:. I cannot decide between these three.
#15: :ultike:
#16::ultroy:
#17::ultlucina:
#18::ultrobin
#19: :ultcorrin:
#20: :ultchrom:
Explination for Fire Emblem: Honestly, out of all of the characters we have right now, the Fire Emblem ones are the most expendable to me, or in other words, the characters that are the least likely to cause and uproar if they were cut. And yes, I am aware of how controversial that statement is.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
1) :ultbayonetta:. I never wanted you here and dislike you in general.
2) :ultpacman:. See above, but at least you're worthy of being here.
3) :ultmarth:. I know he's the "face" of the franchise but I never liked Marth much. Give his tipper and such to :ultlucina: and I'm much happier.
4) :ultduckhunt:. Basically same as :ultpacman:. I never liked the concept of his inclusion but again he's at least a classic character.
5) :ultlucario:. Pokemon really pushed Lucario and it never felt natural to me. You could take him out and miss nothing.
6) :ultmiifighters:. I don't mind Miis as a concept but they're not greatly implemented in Smash.
7) :ultdoc:. Why?
8) :ultwiifittrainer:. Why?
9) :ultsimon:. I personally don't have any attachment to Castlevania, and I'd rather leave :ultrichter: since he looks like he fits in a lot better in Smash, design-wise.
10) :ultyounglink:. Wasted potential
11) :ultdarkpit:. Wasted potential
12) :ultwolf:. I know he's "different" from Fox and Falco but come on man. Be a little more unique.
13) :ultjigglypuff:. Hate that wall 'o pain lol
14) :ultcloud:. I think other FF characters would be better fit for Nintendo
15) :ultryu:. I couldn't really give a crap about SF
16) :4charizard:. You had a game to yourself, you can sit this one out and let Squirtle and Ivysaur handle things.
17) :ultlittlemac:. Like I guess? He's not fun to play against
18) :ultolimar:. Brawlimar was way more fun
19) :ultchrom:. I think I'd have rather seen a new moveset rather than a mashup of other movesets, especially since we still have a few already with a very similar one. That said, I'm stretching here I have no problem with Chrom
20) :ultzelda:. She isn't :4zelda: so 0/10

Man. This was difficult. 20 is a lot. I don't really want any of these cut except :ultbayonetta: tbh

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm going to edit some of the rules:
If you truly feel reluctant to remove a character you can lower it to 15 or even 10. If there are so many characters you want to remove you can remove as many as you want.
If you want to remove characters from the pokemon trainer that does count as one/two/three characters removed even though the official website says otherwise.

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm going to edit some of the rules:
If you truly feel reluctant to remove a character you can lower it to 15 or even 10. If there are so many characters you want to remove you can remove as many as you want.
If you want to remove characters from the pokemon trainer that does count as one/two/three characters removed even though the official website says otherwise.
Excellent. That makes things simpler, so I'll leave an updated version of my previous one here:

Hm... In order from most to least I want to cut:

1. :ultdaisy:
  2. :ultrichter:
  3. :ultpichu:
  4. :ultcloud:
  5. :ultbayonetta:
  6. :ultdarksamus:
  7. :ultdarkpit:
  8. :ultlucina:
  9. :ultyounglink: (It's between him and Toon Link, and Toon Link is so much more distinct.)
  10. :ultmewtwo:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Cut them in a heart beat for more characters:
:ultyounglink: Because as much as I love him, Toon Link fills his spot much better.
:ultdoc: Because we only need one Mario, and there are better puzzle game characters to choose ( Like Lip ).
:ultpichu: I don't like joke characters. Call me anti-fun, but I would never play this character.
:ultroy: Because i'm not a Fire Emblem Fan and the way I hear it he's not even a very well liked FE character.
:ultdarkpit: Because I hate everything about this character's very existence. Even in his source game I don't like him. He should have remained an alt for Pit.
:ultlucina: Because I don't like Fire Emblem, and she's literally a Marth gender bend.
:ultcloud: Because I don't feel like he deserves his spot, even with FF7 finally coming to Switch. I don't care if he's popular, this is my call.
:ultbayonetta: Because I just don't care about her and think her series is too new. Would be different if she was first party but she's not.
:ultdaisy: Because I don't play the Mario spinoffs so I never developed any kind of fondness for this Peach recolor.
:ultrichter: I like him a lot but honestly we don't need more than one Belmont.
:ultchrom: I don't care about Fire Emblem, especially the sword guys.
:ultdarksamus: I love Metroid. Didn't think we needed more than Ridley. Never saw the appeal in Dark Samus, even in the source game.

Characters I would cut reluctantly:
:ultjigglypuff:I'm quite fond of the Puff but I still don't understand why it was picked out of all pokemon.
:ultfalco: We've got Fox already. I'd hate to see him go. But I'd probably just replace him with a more unique Star Fox character like Krystal.
:ultsheik: It's weird to me that they've stuck around as long as they have since she's a one off, but i'd just replace her with Impa anyway.
:ulticeclimbers: I don't think they're very good characters, and Ice Climber is not a very good game. ( I do like the idea of it though, i want a modern update. )
:ultsnake: I love Snake. Smash Bros made me check out his games... but I still stand by the idea that he never should have been in the game.
:ultzss: I just don't like the concept.
:ultpokemontrainer::squirtle::ivysaur: This is probably the most reluctant cut i'd make, but if they had to go, i'd be fine with it as long as I got to keep Charizard.
:ultlucas: I love Lucas, but I think i'd be willing to let go for more characters. I simply like Ness, and Mother 2 better.
:ultwiifittrainer: I know people like and expect the "wtf" characters... I don't care for them, I'd rather the whole roster be fan favorites.
:ultrosalina: Quite frankly I don't think she deserves it, and i'm very annoyed that she's become a recurring character, undermining her in fuction purpose.

I realize I exceeded the number 20 but I was basing this of a chart I made a while back of who i'd be the most willing to part with if it meant new characters.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I'm only playing this for the challenge. I actually don't want to drop anyone from a game where EVERYONE IS HERE.

:ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultjigglypuff::ultmiifighters::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultrichter::ultyounglink::ultzss::ultwiifittrainer:

Then, it gets that much harder...
:ultroy::ultpalutena::ultdoc::ultfalco:
:ultsheik::ultpichu:

Twenty.

If :ultmiifighters: counts as three (:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:), then cut them and I can salvage :ultfalco: and :ultyounglink:

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Gonna be controversial but.....
  1. Sonic
  2. Megaman
  3. Pac-Man
  4. Ryu
  5. Cloud
  6. Bayonetta
  7. Snake
  8. Simon
  9. Richter
  10. Robin
  11. Corrin
  12. Chrom
  13. Roy
  14. Dark Pit
  15. Palutena
  16. Jigglypuff
  17. Sheik
  18. Lucas
  19. Toon Link
  20. Dark Samus
  21. Ness
  22. Daisy
  23. Dr. Mario
  24. Pichu
  25. Lucario
  26. ROB
  27. Wolf
  28. Wii Fit Trainer
  29. Mii Fighters
  30. Duck Hunt
  31. K Rool
Here are my reasons
1-9: I feel like if you are going to do a soft reboot, you'd remove the guest and refocus on Nintendo. I personally feel the series has been moving away from that when it otherwise shouldn't. A refocus wouldn't be bad allowing you to be more creative with characters and stages. Also, there is a lot of bloat there and you can kind of see it when you need to come up with 20 cuts. I did about half with just those characters
10-13: Just to rebalance Fire Emblem. I think it should have a decent number of characters for its size but its gotten out of control (kind of like the guest but to a lesser degree). Keep Marth as the star and Lucina and Ike as popular characters
14-15:The character who could probably go are those that aren't contemporary. I don't see Kid Icarus getting more games (least not for a while) so I think you can cut these. By the way, I actually really like Plautena
16-17:I feel like these characters are more Smash characters than Nintendo characters. They only exist because of some quirk with past games. Again, if this is a soft reboot, they can go
18: Mother/Earthbound is a dead series and will never get another title. I'd actually cut Ness too for similar reasons.
19:Remove redundancy with Y. Link. Think he's more iconic
20:-31: These are moreso because, again, if I would do a soft reboot, I'd refocus the roster on more contemporary characters. For Ice Climbers, I'd make them the "Classic" series and maybe add another NES character (or maybe keep Duck Hunt). Some like Wii Fit are because they likely wont get a game in the future. Some like Lucario and Pichu are just to shrink the roster a bit. K Rool due to him not appearing as much and Wolf as there are usually gaps in Star Fox games. Pit and Little Mac stay because those series could get games in the future. Same for F-Zero (which I feel like will happen eventually given demand for one).

I'd assume this roster would have about 40 returning characters. Some of those characters may still stay but this is just me being aggressive. Basically, trim down the roster to the main lineup of Nintendo characters and then add on top of it. Maybe finally add Zelda and Kirby characters, characters from new series, and maybe a classic NES character

Top Bottom