• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Think Melee is overated

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigiguy

Smash Rookie
Im gonna be so hated for this :( Melee to me got boring faster then Brawl Cause I get tired of fighting computers cause my friends suck. At Brawl I can play with my Internets friends who PWN me. All I hate in Brawl is the SSE. But Metal gear solid 4 owns all those Smash games :p
(LOL FLAME WAR IS GONNA START!!!!!!)

Cinder

Smash Master
Saying this in the Melee section? You want to start a flame war, don't you?

Don't EVER use your friends sucking as an excuse...go to a tournament...get your *** handed to you by pros, THEN try and tell me Melee's over-rated...trust me, you'll feel differently...

Grunt

Smash Master
Leech said:
Does the melee boards really have to be spammed by people's opinions?
Peaches > Oranges.
IV, V, VI > I, II, III
Melee > Brawl
ST > 3S
MVC2 > MVC
4Chan > 7Chan
RBY, RSE > GSC, DP
Luigi > Mario
SM64 > sunshine > Galaxy
Sonic > McDonalds

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I'm sorry that you feel that way. Melee has a richer experience to offer, just not as readily available as Brawl. However, I don't understand how you even like online as it is usually VERY laggy.

The solution is right in front of you. Infact, it should be Smashboard's motto. "Go to a tournament".

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
The problem is your friends sucking then, not the game in itself. Off course playing CPUs is boring and sucks ***, what are you stupid?
Regardless, nobody cares what you think.
EDIT: didn't read the entire post before I started flaming the guy, then I saw the MGS4 comment and I realized this could be an account made by a melee fanboy to make brawl fanboys look bad or something like that (since nobody is that stupid): Mods would you like to check his IP?

JRobPaq

Smash Rookie
ok just face it brawl sukkers! Melee>Brawl! and by the way who names a game BRAWL?

daisey

Smash Apprentice
Saying this in the Melee section? You want to start a flame war, don't you?

Don't EVER use your friends sucking as an excuse...go to a tournament...get your *** handed to you by pros, THEN try and tell me Melee's over-rated...trust me, you'll feel differently...
of course he wants to start a flame war. Using friends is a petty excuse and if your so much better and their willing to play, they might actually get better.

Go to a a tournament, get owned by almost everyone in the room, Im sure your going to have a diffrent opinion after that.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Melee has a richer experience to offer, just not as readily available as Brawl. However, I don't understand how you even like online as it is usually VERY laggy.

The solution is right in front of you. Infact, it should be Smashboard's motto. "Go to a tournament".
Online sucks, badly.

comparing brawl to melee, you call a spamming/campfest better than melee, that actually takes more technical skill and mindgames?! wtf. Just please go to an actual melee tournament.

majora_787

Smash Hero
...I will agree that Melee is overrated. HOWEVER, there are a few differences.

1: I'm not saying Brawl > Melee. I'm not.
2: It's not because my friends suck.

It's actually because of people like JRobPaq, who will make melee sound better than it really is whenever they compare it to Brawl. It's annoying. I also think that this argument as a WHOLE has become more of a flame fest than R.I.D.L.E.Y.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Melee can't be overrated, it never got hyped as much as brawl, all of melee's fame came from tournies and MLG status and the whole other 9 yards. Brawl got hyped for two years and didn't come out as well as expected, so Brawl is actualy the overated, melee dersves all the hype and status it got.

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
Oh great...Another complaining idiot...

Half of all Melee threads is always stupid people's opinions...

Of course CPUs get old...They are repetitve and you learn nothing from them...

Online sucks period...It can lag if someone else's connection is right next door...

Go blast this somewhere else...

PCHU

Smash Lord
Peaches > Oranges.
IV, V, VI > I, II, III
Melee > Brawl
ST > 3S
MVC2 > MVC
4Chan > 7Chan
RBY, RSE > GSC, DP
Luigi > Mario
SM64 > sunshine > Galaxy
Sonic > McDonalds
Excuse me, I noticed you said RBY RSE > GSC DPP (Platinum is coming sometime).
Are you out of your mind?
GSC had the best themes on Earth, not to mention the hardest final boss in all of the Pokemon games so far.
Also, you got a phoenix, not to mention a beast that causes 40-day storms by flapping its wings.

DPP has a Netherworld Giraffe, a time controller, a space manipulator, and much more than RBY RSE could ever offer.
It also has a green Sonic.

I agree with the rest of your statements, though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Melee can't be overrated, it never got hyped as much as brawl, all of melee's fame came from tournies and MLG status and the whole other 9 yards. Brawl got hyped for two years and didn't come out as well as expected, so Brawl is actualy the overated, melee dersves all the hype and status it got.
What I mean is whenever melee gets compared to brawl in an agressive way, i.e, by a complete idiot, it gets far more praise than it needs. I hate it when people do that to Brawl as well.

However, idc if you do it to smash 64, THAT is the TRUE classic.

luigiguy

Smash Rookie
Noone can repect a opinion? Hell I don't like Brawl that much I just prefer it to melee.

brg

Smash Ace
Peaches > Oranges.
IV, V, VI > I, II, III
Melee > Brawl
ST > 3S
MVC2 > MVC
4Chan > 7Chan
RBY, RSE > GSC, DP
Luigi > Mario
SM64 > sunshine > Galaxy
Sonic > McDonalds
this post reeks of win

Except for peaches > oranges, ***got !

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's cool to see that people still play smash 64, it's competitive potential has been very overshadowed by melee (and now brawl) :) Do you play it competitively in your area? Is there a community to speak of?
We have so few people who play smash 64 anymore, it's not a TOURNAMENT. It's a ROTATION match.

But back on topic. Another thing about the people in my area, our tournaments. If the tournament is a singles or doubles tournament, you can request the match to be in either game. The tourney team likes to get asw many people participating as possible, so we actually go both ways in the brawl versus melee debate...at once.

Crew rotation tournies are always in brawl, and nobody complains. It's because half the tourney team mains R.O.B.

Killress

Smash Ace
Peaches > Oranges.
IV, V, VI > I, II, III
Melee > Brawl
ST > 3S
MVC2 > MVC
4Chan > 7Chan
RBY, RSE > GSC, DP
Luigi > Mario
SM64 > sunshine > Galaxy
BURGER KING> McDonalds
Sorry, I fixed your typo.

On a thread related note, teach your friends to get good, or, like an above post said, go to a tourny. I think your mind will be changed.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sorry, I fixed your typo.

On a thread related note, teach your friends to get good, or, like an above post said, go to a tourny. I think your mind will be changed.
Tourneys didn't do anything to my view on smash, because we all share the same view.

If I honestly had to voice my opinion, I'd have to say that Brawl and Melee are the same game. Each one just works toward a certain person.

Melee is fast. Usually you need fast fingers and knowledge of advanced techs. Most emotionally competitive game I have ever seen.

Brawl is slightly slower. Doesn't rely as much on close combat. Made to please casual fans more than anything.

...I don't get what the point is of Melee versus Brawl, it sort of sounds like water versus ice to me.

...Smash 64 owns them both anyway. I demand that game for the wii, with graphic updates ONLY...and maybe the ability to fight on Metal Cave.

Grunt

Smash Master
GSC had the best themes on Earth, not to mention the hardest final boss in all of the Pokemon games so far.
Also, you got a phoenix, not to mention a beast that causes 40-day storms by flapping its wings.

DPP has a Netherworld Giraffe, a time controller, a space manipulator, and much more than RBY RSE could ever offer.

I never played GSC.
XD
I'm sure if i had a copy of one I would like it more than RSE, mainly because it has Tyranitar.
<3

majora_787

Smash Hero
What about sound fx?
I dunno, I kinda like the sfxes. They could be upgraded a bit if they had to, but I want the things I mentioned to be the ONLY things different.

Actually, they should do the same for Melee as well when SSB4 comes out.

Eventually, our graphics will be so good MELEE will have "****ty graphics," and graphics is actually the second biggest reason people have for playing brawl over melee...out of the people in my area.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I like Melee's sfx more.
Brawl's sound like everyone is hitting eachother with a whip.
...The image that placed in my mind made me rofl.

@Grunt: That sounds like the best idea ever. I didn't even know or UNDERSTAND why the different versions had different SFX.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Melee? Overated?

Brawl= Massive fanbase due to it's huge amount of hype, tons of noobs, bad competitive game
Melee= Pretty much only harcore smashers prefer it anymore, got it's big fanbase from years of Fan gathering, great competitive game

Yea, Melee is definetly overated

/Sarcasm

majora_787

Smash Hero
Melee? Overated?

Brawl= Massive fanbase due to it's huge amount of hype, tons of noobs, bad competitive game
Melee= Pretty much only harcore smashers prefer it anymore, got it's big fanbase from years of Fan gathering, great competitive game

Yea, Melee is definetly overated

/Sarcasm
Melee is overrated in a way that isn't usually used. When compared to Brawl, it is given more praise than it should get.

The opposite is true as well. Brawl fanboys and nublets make Brawl sound way better than it really is when comparing it to Melee.

...And nobody even mentions smash 64 anymore...

I'm done with smash 64 spoilers now. XD

PCHU

Smash Lord
You know, if Melee had as much stuff as Brawl has, then it might be comparable.
Brawl simply has too much stuff, whereas the only thing going for Melee is vs. Mode.
You can't customize taunts (or play online for that matter) or make stages.
You also can't send stages to other people.

If they're talking about gameplay, it's about a tie.
Brawl is starting to get tough.

But if we're talking stuff, Brawl wins.
There is simply so much to do.
Even if nobody shows up on With Anyone, there's making stages, taking pictures that don't take up all of your memory, making replays, etc.
Brawl is fun.

And don't call me a Melee hater, take a look at my sig.
It says otherwise.
I love Melee for very intense matches, or if someone is beating me in Brawl (which is quite rare), then I take them against my Melee Marth and they suffer.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Brawl simply has too much stuff, whereas the only thing going for Melee is vs. Mode.

Even if nobody shows up on With Anyone, there's making stages, taking pictures that don't take up all of your memory, making replays, etc.
Brawl is fun.

It says otherwise.
I love Melee for very intense matches, or if someone is beating me in Brawl (which is quite rare), then I take them against my Melee Marth and they suffer.
I agree SOMEWHAT. If melee got stage builder, an awesome adventure mode, the new characters, the modes, the trophies, the stickers, the taunts, AND the taunt word bubbles, and why not throw in the stages as well...

And give it some physics similar to SSB64... *everyone's so broken that nobody notices*

Melee would be the perfect game.

Actually, new graphics sound good too. But ya know.

Oracle

Smash Master

The time in GSC sucked *** and was hard to deal with. And red sucks, by the way. Just send in a steelix and all pikachu can do is quick attack, which sucks.

RBY was the original and had MISSINGNO!!!!!
RSE had MUDKIPZ!!!

I herd u liek them

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Noone can repect a opinion? Hell I don't like Brawl that much I just prefer it to melee.
You don't like melee or brawl, yet you join smashboards? Real bright...

RBY, RSE > GSC, DP
I think you have this one backwards...

I'd say DP > RSE > GSC > RBY.

As far as competitive play goes anyway.

Tyranitar is in all of them except RBY, so that shouldn't be valid reasoning at all. Tyranitar happens to be my favorite pokemon as well though...

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Brawl is overrated.
/thread
Im gonna be so hated for this :( Melee to me got boring faster then Brawl Cause I get tired of fighting computers cause my friends suck. At Brawl I can play with my Internets friends who PWN me. All I hate in Brawl is the SSE. But MGS4 owns all those Smash games :p
(LOL FLAME WAR IS GONNA START!!!!!!)
I'm not gonna write another longa** post about Melee vs Brawl..
You came to the wrong place buddy.

Brawl is fun.

It says otherwise.
This is ignorance at its finest right here. Gameplay is NOT a tie, Melee kills Brawl in that. Sure, Brawl has more stuff but not a lot of people USE that stuff. Brawl TOOK OUT stuff that A LOT of people used.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Brawl has a few nice things that we'll probably be seeing more of in different Wii games, but they sacrificed gameplay for it. Brawl's VS. mode is oversimplified and therefore glitches and significant gaps in character usage were created. Melee > Brawl, but most people are going to be playing Brawl so you better not slack..

Melee is much deeper. Not much to it. Just play both games for a long time and you'll figure that out for yourself.

EDIT: PCHU, no offense but you seem kinda cocky. I searched you on youtube only to find you barely win against someone using one hand in a Marth ditto. Before trying to beat Mew2King maybe you should try beating someone... around decent, first.

otg

Smash Master
/thread

Seriously though, the only thing that Brawl did as an upgrade is SSE which is crappy overall and only worth playing through once to unlock the characters. All the extra "stuff" in Brawl really doesn't matter, because it's all gimmicky and doesn't really get you anything after doing it awhile.

The only thing that TRULY matters in all of the Smash games is: Vs. Mode.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Brawl has a few nice things that we'll probably be seeing more of in different Wii games, but they sacrificed gameplay for it. Brawl's VS. mode is oversimplified and therefore glitches and significant gaps in character usage were created. Melee > Brawl, but most people are going to be playing Brawl so you better not slack..

Melee is much deeper. Not much to it. Just play both games for a long time and you'll figure that out for yourself.

EDIT: PCHU, no offense but you seem kinda cocky. I searched you on youtube only to find you barely win against someone using one hand in a Marth ditto. Before trying to beat Mew2King maybe you should try beating someone... around decent, first.
That wasn't me.
I was PkPCHU on youtube, the one that replied.
CRAP, I need to post my youtube name more.

And I'm sorry to have done this.
Be careful who you research on, it may not be them.
Seriously, the only youtube videos I have up are animations and a horrible piano playing (I do much better now).

But my Marth is way better than his.
I do have trouble with approaches, but once I get one hit in, it's all downhill from there.

Sorry if I sound cocky.
Not many people play in Jackson, if any.
And practically nobody knows what the crap wavedashing is, save one of my friends at school.
ONE.
From the sound of it, she's pretty good, but who am I to judge without looking.
So it stands to reason that I most likely have the best Marth in Jackson.

Also.......
Melee does hurt Brawl in competitive play.
But being competitive requires more thought in Brawl.
Doing the things you could in Melee is now difficult or impossible to do.
Wouldn't that at least make it AROUND as competitive?

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
Also.......
Melee does hurt Brawl in competitive play.
But being competitive requires less thought in Brawl.
Doing the things you could in Melee is now difficult or impossible to do.
Wouldn't that at least make it nowhere near as competitive?
fixed
beacause less variables have to be thought out and the slower and floatier physics, less thought is required to be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom