• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I give up on the video thread.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I'll update on friday. And your match against KSK has 2 in it, so why did you label it First match.

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman
The ones that say "First Match" are ones that me playing DK has other stuff on it, too.

If you need me to, I'll edit out the second matches.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
oli and dk **** in teams, one grab combo and a pikmin latch and they're in ko range

there's also a throw trick that kos really early, but I won't have a video of that for a while

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fY6tkzLl60 <--- me and richbrown **** in teams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoHqW6vs3xs <--- olimar torpedo + more teams ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-V6mYuOQ4 <--- me vs vicegrip, we're both half asleep at the beginning, so it sucks at first

also, expect a ****load throughout the week

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry if he would have said LM I would have gone DK too trust me infinites don't mean **** on my mansion!

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Hes alright.

His execution is really slow.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he's better than average, but his execution and stage control is well, it leaves quite a bit to be desired.

He didn't know how to deal with snake, down b against a grenade happy snake is what to use because it forces them in the air which makes them much easier to deal with.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
In his defense, that video is half a year old. Although I've still never heard of him before.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
My friend got his recording stuff up and running again. SO i should be posting links to vids soon.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Wow I just played M7 and Jmex in doubles for AiB and they pulled off the greatest KO ever first match. My partner recorded it so hopefully it will be up soon. It was a fun set guys gg. Haven't played Japes on WiFi before/johns.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Lol, yea man it was a fun set. :) Surprisingly the lag was not as bad as i thought. But still lag is lag.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I was watching some videos of a japanese DK in this thread to see how he played.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232920

What does everyone think? I like the rising up b to lagless landing on platforms. I've been thinking about doing that for a while but never really applied it and I think he did that fairly well. I realized that he never used down smash once though. Thoughts?

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman
A very different DK, quite inspiring. But his opponents SD way too much. So it's too early to tell how he'd do in a high profile match.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure there are videos on that channel of his DK that aren't linked to in that thread so if someone is curious there is more to watch.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I checked out the first match against the Kirby. I LOL'd when DK used his up b super armor and they yelled AAARMAAAA, lol

Aside from that that match was kinda hard to tell but he did seem better than average.

I also saw the Metaknight one, being that he was playing against a metaknight im going to give him the benefit of the doubt but again he seemed like a solid Dk player.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yeah Hato's Donkey Kong is a little different. He's great at the UpB's, but he doesn't pay attention to Donkey Kong's grab game. He just does a backthrow and that's it. Great Donkey Kong though.

D0N

Smash Ace
My bad, I missed the thread for what I wanted somehow... ignore this.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here is the set vs Hyro (toon link) as promised.

Hyro is the best ToonLink in the world. I played pretty sloppy in the beginning, but started cleaning up. I did some pretty dumb things like get greedy w/ punch-charges, iunno. But all in all i'm really proud of the set, and its his revenge on me from the last few tournaments we played. =]

Matches 1 + 2 (he wins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzaN-rWq2MA&feature=PlayList&p=41D94FA8C227EDBB&index=1
i have no idea why I habitually airdodge after getting hit by a bomb. I SD'd both match endings that way. i'm ashamed.

Matches 3 + 4 (i win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY18vRhYgqg&feature=PlayList&p=41D94FA8C227EDBB&index=2

Match 5 (he wins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iJBtdxbopM&feature=PlayList&p=41D94FA8C227EDBB&index=3

projectile spam raaaaaaaaaaaaapes DK. but you just gotta break through and pawnch em in the FACE.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Here is the set vs Hyro (toon link) as promised.

Hyro is the best ToonLink in the world. I played pretty sloppy in the beginning, but started cleaning up. I did some pretty dumb things like get greedy w/ punch-charges, iunno. But all in all i'm really proud of the set, and its his revenge on me from the last few tournaments we played. =]

Matches 1 + 2 (he wins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzaN-rWq2MA&feature=PlayList&p=41D94FA8C227EDBB&index=1

Matches 3 + 4 (i win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY18vRhYgqg&feature=PlayList&p=41D94FA8C227EDBB&index=2

Match 5 (he wins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iJBtdxbopM&feature=PlayList&p=41D94FA8C227EDBB&index=3

projectile spam raaaaaaaaaaaaapes DK. but you just gotta break through and pawnch em in the FACE.
I only watched the first match one minute or something.... and from what I saw this Toon Link is really nice.
Anyway, I think you airdodge too often. You do it all the time at the start. It's not good. Jump away or somthing, but don't airdodge all the time...
And powershield the projectiles better (or just shield a bit too early and don't powershield if you're not sure that you can powershield it), you got hit by some that you could've avoided...

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I watched your matches against Hyro and you did very well against all that spam. I noticed some things you should probably look out for next time.

The first thing I noticed was that you kept charging the other way. You were probably thinking you would catch him off guard and punch backwards but you never pulled it off on him. It also got you punished because it extended your hurtbox into like 5 bombs and random aerials that wouldn't have hit you otherwise. It's kind of dumb but they can hit your arm during the swing so keep that in mind.

Another thing I noticed was that you never successfully followed up on Dthrow. You went for regrabs and on a floaty character with a quick spot dodge like Toon Link that's not a good idea. You always got punished for using it except once when he just tethered the ledge. The Ftilt would have been free damage and up b would punish air dodging into the ground and can SA through Zairs.

You landed into grabs a lot. An aerial side b would have been useful when you had no jumps and saw one coming. I saw a few times where an aerial side b could have been used to punish as well, especially since he tended to block waiting for your aerials.

When at high damage ledge jumping won't go through any projectiles. Since a few times he liked to wait a nice distance away from the ledge and spam, a ledge dropped double jump air dodge back onto the stage would have worked. Just time the jump and DI so that you won't land on an anything. Even if you land on something at least you are on the stage instead of back on the ledge.

While recovering you kept air dodging after getting hit with a bomb. I'm sure it was just the pressure getting to you or something though and this is the most obvious mistake you made in the set so I'm sure you know this. I just felt like mentioning it anyway since it will probably help you remember it.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
I only watched the first match one minute or something.... and from what I saw this Toon Link is really nice.
Anyway, I think you airdodge too often. You do it all the time at the start. It's not good. Jump away or somthing, but don't airdodge all the time...
And powershield the projectiles better (or just shield a bit too early and don't powershield if you're not sure that you can powershield it), you got hit by some that you could've avoided...
u should watch more than 1 minute before giving advice. especially considering i admitted to have been playing sloppy in the beginning (for reasons i wont john about)
anyway,

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
I watched your matches against Hyro and you did very well against all that spam. I noticed some things you should probably look out for next time.

The first thing I noticed was that you kept charging the other way. You were probably thinking you would catch him off guard and punch backwards but you never pulled it off on him. It also got you punished because it extended your hurtbox into like 5 bombs and random aerials that wouldn't have hit you otherwise. It's kind of dumb but they can hit your arm during the swing so keep that in mind.
i apologize in advance for defending myself with this post, but i'm actually offended.
in the entire set, i was bombed while charging backwards- twice. not 5. and i dont know what you're talking about random aerials. I couldn't find them in rewatching. i turn around charge because its positioning for b.air- which did work or force his airdodge. reverse punches are cool, but its not something i always plan for.

Another thing I noticed was that you never successfully followed up on Dthrow. You went for regrabs and on a floaty character with a quick spot dodge like Toon Link that's not a good idea. You always got punished for using it except once when he just tethered the ledge. The Ftilt would have been free damage and up b would punish air dodging into the ground and can SA through Zairs.
actually, i did follow up w/ f.tilt successfully. i attempted double d.throw...twice the entire set. i got punished for it once. and the other time he was too high damage for the f.tilt to work, and UpB does not work cuz airdodge-hookshot is fast enough to intercept.

When at high damage ledge jumping won't go through any projectiles. Since a few times he liked to wait a nice distance away from the ledge and spam, a ledge dropped double jump air dodge back onto the stage would have worked. Just time the jump and DI so that you won't land on an anything. Even if you land on something at least you are on the stage instead of back on the ledge.
edit: you were right, i did pull myself up twice in a row (both technical errors) in the end of the last vid. I believe i was trying to let go too early. Elsehow, its always release-DJ-airdodge for me.

While recovering you kept air dodging after getting hit with a bomb. I'm sure it was just the pressure getting to you or something though and this is the most obvious mistake you made in the set so I'm sure you know this. I just felt like mentioning it anyway since it will probably help you remember it.
it was so obvious, i mentioned it in the Original Post. I appreciate all the advice, but the exaggerations and language just made it come off as being picky and ignorant.

I think alot of people will not know what its like to fight a real toon link. You HAVE to rushdown. I accept the fact i'm going to take some damage to get in. Hyro was ranked 3rd in the entire AllIsBrawl ladder before he quit playing online. He aint good, he's amazing and amazingly difficult to approach without taking risks. i still say 50/50ish.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I lol at the fact people are giving unsolicited advice on this thread, seeing as Cyphus didn't ask to be critiqued... advice is a good thing, but only in the proper context.

Anyways, great stuff Cyphus. It gives me a few ideas to work with, namely uses for u-air. Thanks for posting it. :)

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
thank you. yea, DK's Upair is a great out-of-shield counter.

i'm fine with all mannered and intelligence advice. I wasn't trying to sound arrogant, but I apologize for not knowing how to handle that sort of thing better.

i made way too many technical errors in the set. I must have ForwardB'd like 3x (all accidents). but i think what kept me going was my DI and patient recovery.
next time i play him, i'm going to experiment shielding a little bit more. When he first moved to LA from michican (months back) he beat me, but tournaments after that, i changed to aggressive and haven't lost to him in tournament our past 4 or 5 encounters. He's been improving so much though, i know its my time to change it up too now.

EDIT: VVVV
yea, i've come to realize giant punch is great, even if u know they're going to shield it. it takes out half of it, and if they (mistakenly) try to punish, you can d.smash/jab/grab/etc...so mroe often they'll retreat, and it gives me the initiative to keep the pressure on, because from that point on, Forward and UpB clean up the mess.

yea. most of LA isn't too crazy w/ the wierd CP levels.

daisho

Smash Lord
Wow... all neutral set.

I was really surprised at the amount that you use U air, Punch and the lack of Up B. I felt you could have used it out of shield me but what do I know.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I watched the last match but thats about it. Good gimp at the beginning but i dont remember anything else.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
i apologize in advance for defending myself with this post, but i'm actually offended.
in the entire set, i was bombed while charging backwards- twice. not 5. and i dont know what you're talking about random aerials. Didn't happen. i turn around charge because its positioning for b.air- which did work or force his airdodge. reverse punches are cool, but its not something i always plan for.

actually, i did follow up w/ f.tilt successfully. i attempted double d.throw...twice the entire set. i got punished for it once. and the other time he was too high damage for the f.tilt to work, and UpB does not work cuz airdodge-hookshot is fast enough to intercept.

now your just way the **** off. I NEVER ledge-jump on the stage If you watched the vids i almost exclusively release-DJ-airdodge on.

it was so obvious, i mentioned it in the Original Post. I appreciate all the advice, but the exaggerations, wrong info, and pickyness just made it come off as being dlck and ignorant.
Well I don't know what button I pushed to get this kind of response to my good willed post but I will say your post is in bad tatse.

In the fifth match alone you ledge jump 3 times over 100 percent each getting you hit for doing so. Two at 4 mins and one at 4:45. You got hit with three bombs while charging backwards, two of which could have been avoided had you faced forwards (4:26 and 4:48). You walked into a Dair after Dthrow at 3:30 and missed the Ftilt at 0:30 so I wouldn't call it successful. In the third match you also jumped at 1:25 at over 100% so that makes it four times you did the ledge jump over 100%. If you are going to call me out on my numbers it is only fair I call you out on yours. Saying you never ledge jump over 100% and got hit twice while charging backwards and at the same time complaining about me exaggerating my numbers?

After watching five matches I'm not going to go through them and count every single time you Dthrow or whatever to make sure it really was five bombs and aerials instead of like 3 or 4 before I give advice. I did say "like five" not exactly five. You didn't Dthrow that often but you were punished for doing it and when you weren't you didn't follow it up with a hit. You weren't punished for it twice and i did say once but that doesn't make a big difference.

I mentioned the air dodging thing acknowledging that you are aware of it. I said "I'm sure it was just the pressure getting to you or something though and this is the most obvious mistake you made in the set so I'm sure you know this." I even said why I mentioned it. To help you remember it. Even if you don't think you need it was done with the intent to help you out.

I only mentioned what stuck out in my mind. Maybe they are small and seem nitpicky to you but maybe they stuck out in my mind because you are actually a good player who knew what he was doing and only had small problems that were noticeable. Everything I mentioned was friendly advice. Having to "defend" yourself from said advice is silly.

I wouldn't have bothered to respond to your post if you didn't flat out insult me. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes so I apologize for hurting your feelings and apologize for any mistakes but to call me out like that for stupid little things is not cool. Saying I don't know what I am talking about does not sit well with me.

Top Bottom