• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Belive M2K is now the most successsful smash player of all time.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
its not like he deserves credit for winning @ brawl
i dont think ive made that much lol. I really don't know how much, but a lot of it never got paid to me. Activegamers 2k, Snes 1k, Winterfest 1.5k is all owed to me and idk if I will receive them. Most of my money (or half or so) goes to my family. The rest goes to college and travel expenses to get to other tournaments and I am saving all of it up besides that so that I can have a good future after smash (if smash ever dies which.... imo won't happen for a long, long time).

i have definitely not made 50k lol unfortunately. A lot of big events I got unlucky at. Mlg finals last year was 3k 5k 10k for top 3 and I got 4th and 4th got paid 0 :(

Evo finals was 5k first and top 8 got paid I got 9th at got 0 :(

very unfortunate luck with the biggest events I am sad to say
why dont you whine and john some more

edit: i just saw all of his other posts ever made ever and that was all he did.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Wait like, are you serious? How would you feel if you won 3.5 thousand dollars, and never got any of it because of reasons outside of your control. Then, to top that off, when there is a big event with a humongous prize, you fight someone really hard early (KoreanDJ at MLG back when I had no answer to his sheik and Mango very, very early at Evo World) and got just outside the massive payouts for top 8, then have a lot of people steal from you or not pay you back

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Wait like, are you serious? How would you feel if you won 3.5 thousand dollars, and never got any of it because of reasons outside of your control. Then, to top that off, when there is a big event with a humongous prize, you fight someone really hard early (KoreanDJ at MLG back when I had no answer to his sheik and Mango very, very early at Evo World) and got just outside the massive payouts for top 8, then have a lot of people steal from you or not pay you back
you be whinin sometime lol. but this is legit.

don't even speak to mike. he is just a troll. he is trying to suck armada off via posting.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
maybe it hdad bcuz stealin thats not how it must have been went like that...

nkd

Smash Rookie
People do it every day. Infact some people have to work every day , not doing something they enjoy like playing a video game for a living. And even then some don't have enough for college. m2k is an amazing player and it does suck that he's been ripped of by some tournaments for big payouts. But stop being so self interested and accept the ****ing compliments

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
People do it every day. Infact some people have to work every day , not doing something they enjoy like playing a video game for a living. And even then some don't have enough for college. m2k is an amazing player and it does suck that he's been ripped of by some tournaments for big payouts. But stop being so self interested and accept the ****ing compliments
Compliments? The quote in question is ripping on him for whining about winnings he won but was never awarded.

Doesn't sound like a compliment to me.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
lol good ****

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
couple things m2k

youre still rolling around on cash you made playing your favorite video games, not having to get a job at all while still managing to get by. the rest of us all have to work at our jobs in order to get to attend tournaments, then leave $100 poorer and we completely expect it

also, you cant complain about not being able to beat people as being some unfair circumstance within the tournament

regardless of all of this, youve made a ton of money doing exactly what you used to do all the time for free. what possible reason could you have to think you have it worse off than any of us when it comes to attending tournaments?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
youre still rolling around on cash you made playing your favorite video games, not having to get a job at all while still managing to get by. the rest of us all have to work at our jobs in order to get to attend tournaments, then leave $100 poorer and we completely expect it

also, you cant complain about not being able to beat people as being some unfair circumstance within the tournament

regardless of all of this, youve made a ton of money doing exactly what you used to do all the time for free. what possible reason could you have to think you have it worse off than any of us when it comes to attending tournaments?
Good stuff. Kid makes a living/pays for college from playing a video game he enjoys. Some of the stuff he says makes him come off as being really spoiled.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
When I first started playing smash I knew of M2K as the guy who trained extremely hard and studied every detail. M2K treats smash like a real job and deserves every dollar he earns. Every time M2K wins an MLG he deserves it because he prepares himself and studies videos of potential opponents for the next event.

It is unfortunate that some large events much like GameUnicon have gone sour. These situations seem to occur when someone makes a promise they cannot keep because the attendance they hoped for is nothing like what they received. Fortunately the community is blessed with MLG which is growing faster than I ever could have imagined. But in the end some of these other events are just entirely out of our control. Live and learn, and see who the community can trust or not.

The argument of "get a real job" bothers me more than anything else, as I feel E-Sports will have a very strong future. Who's to say Professional Gamers will not be like Professional Athletes some day? Don't be jealous of his success, embrace Jason as the new King of Smash and support the community.

/badgrammarsleeptime

Fletch

Smash Master
When I first started playing smash I knew of M2K as the guy who trained extremely hard and studied every detail. M2K treats smash like a real job and deserves every dollar he earns. Every time M2K wins an MLG he deserves it because he prepares himself and studies videos of potential opponents for the next event.

It is unfortunate that some large events much like GameUnicon have gone sour. These situations seem to occur when someone makes a promise they cannot keep because the attendance they hoped for is nothing like what they received. Fortunately the community is blessed with MLG which is growing faster than I ever could have imagined. But in the end some of these other events are just entirely out of our control. Live and learn, and see who the community can trust or not.

The argument of "get a real job" bothers me more than anything else, as I feel E-Sports will have a very strong future. Who's to say Professional Gamers will not be like Professional Athletes some day? Don't be jealous of his success, embrace Jason as the new King of Smash and support the community.

/badgrammarsleeptime
I don't think anyone is mad at him for making money off of gaming, but more just saying that it's annoying to have him whine about a job that many people would dream of being able to make a living off of.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
fletch is right

the issue is not that smash isnt a real job

the issue is that, in a thread congratulating and praising m2k on his vast success as a smasher, all he has to say is how its not as much as we think it is and he should have more money from smash

it doesnt matter what he spends it on, its money he earned that hundreds of people tried for and couldnt. just because he doesnt augment his income with getting an official job doesnt mean that his huge winnings are somehow less impressive

Noraa

Smash Lord
[EVERYTHING IS NORTH AMERICA ONLY - WE ALL KNOW STARCRAFT IN KOREA IS LIKE A NATIONAL SPORT]

No other fighting game pays as much as Smash does. SF would be second. Then probably MvC from back in the day.

We get a lot now because of MLG. SF, for example at EVO, paid out somewhere between $15,000-$20,000 to their winners (EVO never released official numbers, kinda shady). At one regular MLG event there is $7,000 in prizes. At this years Dallas event there will be $35,000 in prizes for Brawl. If EVO wanted to give out $35,000 in prizes, they would need 3,500 entrants! Heck even Tekken 6 now gets more than SSFIV thanks to MLG.

Though DOA when it was on CGS technically paid the most. It depends on the season, but as little as 6 and as many as IIRC 18 DOA players were getting at min 20k a year. Now I've heard some controversy on whether they were actually given this money in the last year of the league (when the league folded) but they did get it for at least 1 season.

Outside of fighting games, Halo pays the most as a shooter (and as a competitive game in general), with several players making ~40k a year now. Many players make ~20k a year. They are also at a point where players are paid thousands monthly by sponsors, without having to win a tournament.

COD4 also pays a fair amount.

In terms of most winningest Smash player: I think Ken still has a leg up on M2K, but the margin has got to be <10K now. By the end of this year I'd say M2K would have passed Ken. However, if you count Ken's Survivor winnings, then M2K probably still has another 3-5 years before he fully passes Ken as making the most in the Smash community from winnings.
Are you talking over the course of the year? I really do think SF has more money it. Our "nationals" which are what like 400 once a year. Sf has over 8 tournies a year with 250+ not to mention more weekly tournys since they have them in the weekdays also.

Mybe im crazy though

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
couple things m2k

First of all stop thinking m2k is rich, like seriously.
He has hardly made over $50,000 and he has been dominating for about 4 years.
That is the worst job people can hope for.
He has to train very hard just to get to that level and it's not even guaranteed that he will win every tournament just for the fact there are people that are capable of beating him in both games.
He does not attend these for free, he has to pay for traveling, college, miscellaneous expenses, and actually attending tournaments. All that money he is getting he probably has to spend it on other things since he has no job.

If he had a career which he made salary, then this would be the perfect side job for any competitive video gamer and he would def. profit while have fun playing.
He is definitely successful at this game don't get me wrong

SheerMadness

Smash Master
First of all stop thinking m2k is rich, like seriously.
He has hardly made over $50,000 and he has been dominating for about 4 years.
That is the worst job people can hope for.
Haha really man? How is 13k+ a year for a 20 something year old going to college a bad job? That's a pretty good for anyone in their early 20's going to college, and that's not even factoring in the fact that it's his favorite video game. So get that **** out of here lol.

If you honestly think that's "the worst job someone could hope for" you are severely out of touch with reality.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
Haha really man? How is 13k+ a year for a 20 something year old going to college a bad job? That's a pretty good for anyone in their early 20's going to college, and that's not even factoring in the fact that it's his favorite video game. So get that **** out of here lol.

If you honestly think that's "the worst job someone could hope for" you are severely out of touch with reality.
Yes it is the worst job to hope for because not everyone in the smash community is going to school. All of people on this site aren't doing **** and hope they were in m2k's position. People in the real world have to pay mortgage, rent, gas, food, etc. You think if anybody were in m2k's position they can pay monthly for all this ****, heck no. Plus don't think just because he is successful in smash while he is going to college means it's a good job. When you are in school you have to freaking study, homework, take time during the day to go to classes, WORRY ABOUT SMASH, AND HOW YOUR GOING TO BEAT YOUR BIGGEST COMPETITION. This sounds to me like a very stressful job and tbh a big distraction if you are hoping to do well in school while earning money in smash. I hope you people realize Mew2king practices this game right?

sorry guy but you are severely out of touch with reality bro.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I can't even begin to comprehend your logic buddy.

Somehow, you're saying that a 20 year old who's going to college full time that makes 13k+ a year playing his favorite video game is a bad situation/job? What the hell are you talking about?

And most people in the smash community ARE going to school, I'd imagine. And we all have to pay for college/rent and **** just like M2K. Yet we still spend money/time on smash because we enjoy it. And 99% of us make no money from it, we do it for fun. So to say that he's in some sort of bad situation compared to the rest of us is ****ing ridiculous.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion

Somehow, you're saying that a 20 year old who's going to college full time that makes 13k+ a year playing his favorite video game is a bad situation/job? What the hell are you talking about?

And most people in the smash community ARE going to school, I'd imagine. And we all have to pay for college/rent and **** just like M2K. Yet we still spend money/time on smash because we enjoy it. And 99% of us make no money from it, we do it for fun. So to say that he's in some sort of bad situation compared to the rest of us is ****ing ridiculous.
I'm not saying he is in a bad situation, but to hope for a career in smash is not something anybody should hope for.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
cmon Hbox, you're a smart AP student and you still haven't noticed you spelled "believe" wrong? NOT IMPRESSED

Fletch

Smash Master

This this this. And it's not like he couldn't get another part time job to supplement this income anyways given that it basically requires weekends only and M2K has said he really doesn't "practice" any more at all.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
i dont think ive made that much lol. I really don't know how much, but a lot of it never got paid to me. Activegamers 2k, Snes 1k, Winterfest 1.5k is all owed to me and idk if I will receive them. Most of my money (or half or so) goes to my family. The rest goes to college and travel expenses to get to other tournaments and I am saving all of it up besides that so that I can have a good future after smash (if smash ever dies which.... imo won't happen for a long, long time).

i have definitely not made 50k lol unfortunately. A lot of big events I got unlucky at. Mlg finals last year was 3k 5k 10k for top 3 and I got 4th and 4th got paid 0 :(

Evo finals was 5k first and top 8 got paid I got 9th at got 0 :(

very unfortunate luck with the biggest events I am sad to say
Get on people's *** for that mang :)

Don't accept checks just accept it as cash, ha.

I definitely think you are though. M2K you may not have been as successful as Ken in terms of how much money you've made over your entire career(though you're probably **** close now), and maybe you're not what you once were at Melee but there hasn't been a player who has persisted over such a long period of time, getting at least top 5 at national tournaments for a game he doesnt even play as much as he once did. And the crazy part man is that this isn't even accounting for Brawl.

Best Brawl player in the world, Top 5 Melee player in the world, and from what I hear extremely good at SSB as well?

Definitely the most successful man, too fucking good.

Fletch

Smash Master
wow most of you guys are jerks, seriously. There is no way you could possibly try to argue that I "deserve" not getting paid what the TO said I would. If you guys got ripped off as much as I have, you would be pretty mad too.
I don't think anyone is saying you don't deserve to get paid; that is some shady business right there, and you have a right to be upset about it. I think people are more just saying you come off as whining when you have a position that most of us would love to have.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Easily, Im suprised he placed so well in Brawl and in Melee at apex, his name was being called every 5 mins, I would of went nuts!

PB&J

Smash Hero
i do agree with m2k getting cheated out on alot of money too many times, i also agree on this is a video game and only a few people in the smash community can even get in that situation..just from winning tournies the money is better than most of us make, but being content with that is where its important.
i think m2k should plan a little better or get people to plan certain things for him because this happens to him to much. Hopefully in the near future he gets some major sponsorship, but its who you know not what you know(most of the time)..so jason

talk to jv about u know what

oh and watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDWqALr4dQ8

Top Bottom