• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

spider_sense

Smash Champion
1) I hope this was a sarcastic, joke post, cause we Ganon mains can't lose one of the elites.

2) If you're reading into the fact that I said "SS" I was referring to SuperSpright.

Also, Kage. You basically echoed my exact post, only you put it the warrior touch on it. Good to know we are on the same brainwave :D
lol Made an attempt at trolling. I failed hard at it.

Might as well actually contribute to topic at hand. Being technical gives you so many options that you can use in order to better access a situation and even mindgame the opponent into doing what you want. I've said before things like perfect waveland to moonwalks can be used as a great edge-guard against a C.Falcon or another Ganon, because it propels Ganon further off the stage without having to double jump, so you can get a quick edge guard and safetly make it back to the stage. When I do flashy things, yeah it's for fun, but it's to showcase many things that other players can use for themselves. I think that's a pretty solid contribution the G-boards. I've performed pretty well in the past; taking out notable players and placing well in previous tournaments. Anyways, there's nothing wrong with using being techy, as long as there is a reason for it. Usually if you're going for that; you're going to have to be proefficent on reading, predicting, and follow-ups.

Another example (if done sparingly on BF Ledge) Roll the end on one of the platforms and hold all the way back and do and isai drop with an aerial. If done correctly, Ganon should just ledge cancel and grab the ledge. I've done it for edge guarding and baits, and it's worked pretty well. Also, the run off ledge hop bair is amazing because if gives you invincibility frames while doing a bair. It's just the timing is really demanding and you have to be quick. But it's great to get some one away from the ledge. Again, these are situational, but practical. All these tech skills you can implement in your game can definitely widen the gap with your opponent.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Thanks Spidey. That's kind of how I feel. I'd rather be able to do all of these things than not. Plus, the way I figure it is, I can cover (nearly) any platform with edge-canceled aerials [mainly fair/uair]. If they are edge-canceled it just makes the aerials faster, which means they will be in shield-stun while I am able to react or follow up a little sooner.

Plus, being able to FF then perfect waveland right after is downright invaluable. Right now no one is doing this as far as I can see--at least on an intentional and as part of their game. But, being able to do a jump, aerial, then waveland all in one shot is better than an jump, aerial, another jump THEN a waveland. Ganon needs space. This gives him the valuable space he wants I feel. At least, it gives it to him safer. Which is the corner stone of his entire game. I also think it will lead to a stronger and scarier Ganon. Just the psychological effect is enough to manipulate an opponent to taking different paths. I'd rather have that as a possible option than not.

Oh btw!

Has anyone else tried a perfect waveland, then waveland back on? Maybe that wasn't quite how it happened--but I've wavelanded then as soon as I fall off airdodged back and was put back on the platform with virtually no cooldown. I'm trying to perfect it just as a mindgame. It has little use, but if you read something well enough this can bait it. Since, you'll be invincible, and the moment you're not, you're on a platform ready to do anything: platform drop, jab, etc. No lag. Never really seen anyone do it--but it's not particularly useful. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
1) I hope this was a sarcastic, joke post, cause we Ganon mains can't lose one of the elites.

2) If you're reading into the fact that I said "SS" I was referring to SuperSpright.

Also, Kage. You basically echoed my exact post, only you put it the warrior touch on it. Good to know we are on the same brainwave :D
Yep, pretty much.. sometimes it's good to repeat things or say it in different words to make sure someone understands. The power of words is strong.

Oh I will. I usually look toward you as a model for my Ganon. All efficiency, little to no flourish, and a high dependency on reads. But, I am not trying to do this for something fancy. Perfectwaveland to moonwalk to me is safe, and useful in some situations. I'd never use it more than one or twice a match. But, everything has a place. I am trying to find that place for this niche. Since Ganon is one of the rare characters to get a huge benefit from 1-2 attacks I think it's imperative to find any way I can to squeeze an extra fair, or uair out of a situation that I normally wouldn't identify as an opportunity.

Effectively, I want to look like I'm playing on AR.
Haha good luck on that. =)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I definitely agree Spidey...having the technical ability to perform wavelands/edge cancels and all other Ganon's technical tricks is essential to having the deepest and most potent Ganon possible.

On the same token, Spright, while being technically adept is something I approve of with Ganon, and strive to be myself, I just don't think that me looking like I'm playing on AR is going to be all that. You would have to constantly compromise your positioning and spacing and in the process you will be dominated. I think that having a mixed bag of technical tricks, and having a solid foundation built on spacing, good reads, and smart baits is the true power of Ganon. I used to spam all tech stuff, but I found alot more success when my "tricks" aren't something I go for time after time after time til the opponent sees it coming from a mile away.

Spidey you're from Florida right? Any interest in coming up to Arkansas one weekend for a tourney/smash fest or something? I can get you free housing easy bro and I'd love to get some games in with you.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya your best bet is play someone who is slightly stronger than you all the time so you can continue to have a goal and never stop growing. And you'll definitely see what works and what doesn't.. eventually your style is going to be really strong.

Edit: I'm probably teaming with Axe at Zenith, omg it's gonna be amazing!

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Ya your best bet is play someone who is slightly stronger than you all the time so you can continue to have a goal and never stop growing. And you'll definitely see what works and what doesn't.. eventually your style is going to be really strong.

Edit: I'm probably teaming with Axe at Zenith, omg it's gonna be amazing!
Pika/Ganon will be too good!!

Man that's exciting. Where's Zenith by chance? It'd be cool if I could make it.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I definitely agree Spidey...having the technical ability to perform wavelands/edge cancels and all other Ganon's technical tricks is essential to having the deepest and most potent Ganon possible.

On the same token, Spright, while being technically adept is something I approve of with Ganon, and strive to be myself, I just don't think that me looking like I'm playing on AR is going to be all that. You would have to constantly compromise your positioning and spacing and in the process you will be dominated. I think that having a mixed bag of technical tricks, and having a solid foundation built on spacing, good reads, and smart baits is the true power of Ganon. I used to spam all tech stuff, but I found alot more success when my "tricks" aren't something I go for time after time after time til the opponent sees it coming from a mile away.

Spidey you're from Florida right? Any interest in coming up to Arkansas one weekend for a tourney/smash fest or something? I can get you free housing easy bro and I'd love to get some games in with you.
I'm not talking spamming it. Just like late dair lcanceled can net you a grab on falco, this can give you an easy gimp sometimes, or a little extra damage output, or a surprise. I wouldn't spam it. But, I would like to perfect it. It's all air-speed dependent. If you have good spacing sense this shouldn't be a problem for anyone. I think wavelanding is harder to get consistent with than this honestly. Well, at least perfect wavelands.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Pika/Ganon will be too good!!

Man that's exciting. Where's Zenith by chance? It'd be cool if I could make it.
So can you actually make it? =)

Superspright, your sig is funny.. I'm going to guess they are refering to Brawl Ganon because if it's melee.. I'm actually doing both.. finding the meaning of life and being successful with Ganon. With the warrior, anything is possible! Light guides me. =)

Superspright

Smash Lord
So can you actually make it? =)

Superspright, your sig is funny.. I'm going to guess they are refering to Brawl Ganon because if it's melee.. I'm actually doing both.. finding the meaning of life and being successful with Ganon. With the warrior, anything is possible! Light guides me. =)
Haha, of course the brawl forums. I am a Ganon player no matter what. He's terribad though in brawl. It's not even possible to win a single matchup if your opponent is competent or falcon/ganon.

Someday I have to play you and get wrecked. But the meaning of life is probably something so simple that it would blow your mind.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Haha, of course the brawl forums. I am a Ganon player no matter what. He's terribad though in brawl. It's not even possible to win a single matchup if your opponent is competent or falcon/ganon.

Someday I have to play you and get wrecked. But the meaning of life is probably something so simple that it would blow your mind.
Heh, probably but you have to take it one step at a time or else it's too scary to go forward. It's like walking forward in an endless abyss of darkness.. you don't know where to go lol. But if you truly focus on what you can do right now then I believe the answer will come eventually.. It's basically just like leveling up in life. haha.

And peace :)

Zane what's the eta on devour 2?

Edit: got ninja'd

:phone:
LOL!

Palpi, trolling me with Buddhism? Never thought I'd see the day lol. I got trolled hard.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
And peace :)

Zane what's the eta on devour 2?

Edit: got ninja'd

:phone:
Honestly my buddy is working on it. I have no control over it being made. But I'll ask and find out. We picked the clips and music and I know last I checked he was syncing them.

Superspright

Smash Lord
in some situations, I'd say yeah. Knocks them just far away enough to hit them with another tipman. Could lead to an early gimp on fast fallers.

spider_sense

Smash Champion

lol I'd be down to go, seeing if school/work and money permit me. If you guys ever hold something serious over there, let me know about it.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
i always play this match-up from the sheik POV. . .

Ganon *should* be trying to space very well defensively. . . I want him to go on the offense though as sheik, in a lot of cases... I'll be more likely to have a spacing advantage this way. ace is really good at chaingrabbing me in the friendlies we play... or, good at getting grabs as well I mean. Of course, getting grabbed by sheik sucks balls. but if you can make it so the sheik is just as afraid to get grabbed, then they'll have to adjust(or get grabbed).

Not much help, but I've played the match-up a bunch, and that's what scares me about ganon the most ;>

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm...lost a 50 dollar/person teams mm today.

my team was ganon/fox, of course jim and stingers went ganon/peach.

it was best of 7. it went to game 7. pretty hyped. kinda bummed we lost. it'll be uploaded. you guys can watch if you want. i'll link when sneak uploads it.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I was at a tourney today and only pulled out ganon for ice climbers. I still love you him though! I think we can make this relationship work! I just, I just need some time and space. Oh ganon why are you so hard!

Manondorf

Smash Cadet
Ganon is hard but rewarding. Nothing else gives me joy like knocking a fox or a falco out of their cute little bootys.

I recorded some friendlies with a buddy of mine the other day. Let me know what you guys think. I'll let you know when I get around to uploading them.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I was at a tourney today and only pulled out ganon for ice climbers. I still love you him though! I think we can make this relationship work! I just, I just need some time and space. Oh ganon why are you so hard!
I'll show you how it's properly done, =P

Ganon is hard but rewarding. Nothing else gives me joy like knocking a fox or a falco out of their cute little bootys.

I recorded some friendlies with a buddy of mine the other day. Let me know what you guys think. I'll let you know when I get around to uploading them.
Go for it.

Edit: I did something pretty ridiculous yesterday vs Bam's Falco. I backaired him so he landed on the right platform of stadium and then as a combo I upaired reset him into DJ backair... he tried to shorten side B but I faired him anyway (Dropzone). 0-58. lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
One of the two hitboxes at the very end of the move does 6 damage, so yes, it can reset.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Dair edge-canceled to a tipman can reset too in certain situations. But it's probably easier to reset on a platform where you'd have time to aim with it. I've been working on resetting with uair after a missed tech. Nothing like a free fair, or bair.

Top Bottom