• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Superspright

Smash Lord
I feel like the shield-drop can become second nature. People will be using it with high levels of fidelity soon. It just requires some finesse. At least on my controller there is a little sweetspot that i aim for when I want to do it. I am not consistent with it at all, but I am working on it. Ganon NEEDS this option.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
So today I was picking out the clips and stuff for my next combo vid "Devour 2" with my buddy who's making it.

We had 12 or 13 minutes of footage recorded, but there's no way I'm having a video that annoyingly long. Plus with credits it'd be even longer. So we edited forever and managed to cut out 4 minutes, and we're STILL not done. We need to cut out around 2 more minutes to get it in a manageable time frame. Combo videos are more potent when they aren't forever and a day imo. Also, we are looking for a good Ganon-ish second song. So if anyone has a suggestion of anything hard rock, like Rob Zombie or Static-X please let me know and I'll check it out.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
So today I was picking out the clips and stuff for my next combo vid "Devour 2" with my buddy who's making it.

We had 12 or 13 minutes of footage recorded, but there's no way I'm having a video that annoyingly long. Plus with credits it'd be even longer. So we edited forever and managed to cut out 4 minutes, and we're STILL not done. We need to cut out around 2 more minutes to get it in a manageable time frame. Combo videos are more potent when they aren't forever and a day imo. Also, we are looking for a good Ganon-ish second song. So if anyone has a suggestion of anything hard rock, like Rob Zombie or Static-X please let me know and I'll check it out.
Ganon is dubstep.

Uh... maybe try some Pendulum? It's not rock, but it's ganon. Something like the vulture fits perfectly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZXAFJOvg0

or maybe the other side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zENtEumtyBI&feature=relmfu

Let's see here, for me most of the time, I laugh when I lose. But that's generally because I trained myself to enjoy all the little things and I'm also pretty happy most of the time. =P You do see when a pro makes a mistake, they nod instead of going nuts because of some BS that happened?

There is no BS, if you acknowledged why you made a mistake in the first place then you get to keep your composure at all times. If you lose your cool, you will die.. that's all there is to it. You have to continue to analyse your opponent when you play, you cannot worry about yourself. Just play the game and find holes in the opponent's play... whatever else that happens well you have to ignore it. Use wtv strategy at your disposal to win. Even if it means trashtalking your opponent in a real set if you can.. I mean there isn't any rule against this? Only the people that watch can't insult the players that play. =P

So ya if you get punished then take it, and try again... try to escape it with what you can and then continue fighting at 100%.

Edit: If you face someone equal or stronger than you.. then still keep playing, even someone stronger has holes you can exploit. If you think like OMG I'm facing m2k I'm going to get crushed then already you're not going to do very well because of the increased pressure. Just play with the decisions people make.
When you lose? Laugh. When you win? Laugh. When you aren't even playing? Laugh.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
No.. it fits YOU, not Ganon. Ganon is a big badass guy. He deserves to be epic with epic music.. at least to me. =)
Hit heavy with a heavy mofo. Deserves some heavy music.

If I see a ganon video with pop music, terrible things will happen :p

DippnDots

Feral Youth
i like some rap too with ganon, and it doesn't matter who you're playing as Jazz Fusion is always great melee background music

Edit: YO Gvice, i've always wanted to use this song for my own ganon combo video, but it looks like that'll never happen, so i'd like you to give it a listen, i think it would really match up well in a ganon combo video, and i clearly remember one time doing a combo in sync with it while i was hella baked.

Dilated Peoples - You can't hide you can't run

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Keep 'em coming.

It's gotta be just perfect, so I'm keeping all options open.

Dipp'n- I had picked out rap songs that worked, but that's more Linguini's thing. My theme has kinda been rock, so I'm sticking with my guns for the second one. Thanks tho dude.

Kage- I agree. Although, I think different style's of Ganon could call for different music, I feel that mine is well suited for up-tempo, fast paced, hard rock. I think yours would be like...I'm not sure how to describe it. But like the music in your combo vid from Victra.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Keep 'em coming.

It's gotta be just perfect, so I'm keeping all options open.

Dipp'n- I had picked out rap songs that worked, but that's more Linguini's thing. My theme has kinda been rock, so I'm sticking with my guns for the second one. Thanks tho dude.

Kage- I agree. Although, I think different style's of Ganon could call for different music, I feel that mine is well suited for up-tempo, fast paced, hard rock. I think yours would be like...I'm not sure how to describe it. But like the music in your combo vid from Victra.
Exactly, you do everything how you feel is right, in the end I can't really tell you anything since it's going to be your choice and everyone has their own preference. Everyone also has different styles.

Palpi

Smash Hero
What stage should I counter pick marths to as Ganon? I go double blob as fox, but if I lose badly, I might go Ganon against a Marth. Dreamland?

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You can be mad gay and go Brinstar/Kongo Jungle since both stages suck badly for Marth. But as for neutrals, ya Dreamland is alright. BF is really good too since you can edgeguard Marth a lot easier because he will never have a chance to tech anything. Stadium is decent too.

Personally, I don't mind any stage vs Marth except maybe FD.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I don't feel comfortable on counter pick stages...and I am not gay enough for that. I like the idea of Battlefield. I think because its smaller than dreamland, it allows ganon to utilize the platforms better.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Omg.. if you were good on Kongo vs Marth, it's almost an auto-win lol. He can't double jump to the top platforms very well so when you are trying to recover, you have multiple options to mindgame him. You can either go on top platform, go through it and grab the ledge or go on stage. Or just simply FF to the ledge. It's one of the stages which actually increase Ganon's recovery to not be so horrible... I mean if you are able to recover from very high most of the time. That's exactly why it's really good for Falcon too. While Marth's recovery, is mad ****ty lol.. even his grab game is weaker on KJ while yours is still relatively the same.

Also, playing by the rules is not really gay.. it's just playing to win.. you want to win don't you? =P Which is why it's important to have extensive stage knowledge.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
You can be mad gay and go Brinstar/Kongo Jungle since both stages suck badly for Marth. But as for neutrals, ya Dreamland is alright. BF is really good too since you can edgeguard Marth a lot easier because he will never have a chance to tech anything. Stadium is decent too.

Personally, I don't mind any stage vs Marth except maybe FD.
Agreed. I don't even mind Marth on Yoshi's, I always like that level. But yeah, I definitely don't like Marth on FD, but even still, it's better than Falco/Fox.

Kongo jungle is good for ganon in that matchup, yeah. But I been trying Brinstar lately, and it's too good for Ganon. I'm trying to make that my counter-pick level.

warlock-don-mia24

Smash Journeyman
so i havent been post nothing on the ganon thread in a min so i been think about so sick edge guards and platform guarding like ganon high till think about all of the combo u can mix up agaisnt people and wreck them i was thinking about this high till u-air down air off the board lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm not sure what he meant by all that either honestly. lol.

Reverse up air into downair edgeguard? Ya it's a faceroll edgeguard for Ganon vs almost anybody yes. But bair is safer if you chase them off stage, can't do **** about that! muaha!

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
So I have a problem. Everyone bans Brinstar. I need mindgames. Possibly an orangutan named Clyde.

Do you think familiarizing myself with Kongo enough to out-gay Brinstar would be a viable option?

Superspright

Smash Lord
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Kongo not a great stage for Ganon? Like, Fox can stall him there, peach, jiggly...a few others?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's probably way worse vs Falco and Falcon. I don't think it's that bad vs Fox, Peach or Jiggs. I find that it's a pretty good CP vs Peach since Peach can't abuse the edgeguard on that stage. Peach can't stall Ganon on that stage as long as Ganon is willing to approach and punish her properly.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
It's probably way worse vs Falco and Falcon. I don't think it's that bad vs Fox, Peach or Jiggs. I find that it's a pretty good CP vs Peach since Peach can't abuse the edgeguard on that stage. Peach can't stall Ganon on that stage as long as Ganon is willing to approach and punish her properly.
I don't know, I think it's bad for Fox. I mean if he's like Kels and campy and stuff Ganon could have trouble catching him on that map.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Okay, duly noted, thanks for the tips. Next question, falcon's nair plane is certainly something to fear. However, how useful is Ganon's nair?

I tend to use it when I find myself too close to my opponent and I know they are about to jump... but are there better options? Maybe something like wavedash back and bair/fair?

TL;dr how useful do you find the nair to be?

EDIT: Just adding on to this. How useful do you find the uair to be in situations other than ledge guarding? Personally, I tend to spam it. But once again, I feel there are better defensive options against space animals, I'm just not sure what they may be.

Superspright

Smash Lord
nair is useful(ish), and the last kick can hit like a weak fair. But, it doesn't have the speed, or the horizontal range of the uair. I think uair, fair, and bair are all kinda better than nair. As someone has stated earlier about it: you can FH nair onto battle field height platforms and it ACs after the last kick comes out. Maybe you can hit the top of their shield with the first kick and ff and maybe shieldpoke the bottom of their shield? I've never experimented with it much beside using it on those platforms like I said.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Kage, I adore Kongo jungle now. I thought it would be harder to play on the ledge, but is so easy, and I actually like it with falco and falcon too. Marths gonna get *****!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage, I adore Kongo jungle now. I thought it would be harder to play on the ledge, but is so easy, and I actually like it with falco and falcon too. Marths gonna get *****!
Heh good stuff! Well, go destroy that Marth now! =D

Alright so, Ganon's Nair.

The hitbox of it is pretty small compared to Ganon's legs so you kinda have to use it when you are basically right on top of the opponent. To me, it's really good as a tool to mindgame the DI as the 1st hit comes out extremely quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmeLhcrVGk at 20:30 to 20:36. (I think I should of upair for finish but ya that's the general idea how you could use Nair to continue a sick combo, since the knockback is less than upair.)

In general, you could use it after a downthrow on floaties like Peach/Marth when not even upair will hit sometimes not even bair will hit only nair.

It could be good after a downair too since you could possibly do a combo like Falcon, Nair into Fist or Nair into upair into Fair.. depending on % (normally at around 40-50%) It hurts a lot and puts people in ****ty positioning after that since they'll either be off stage or above you.

As for platform techchasing.. I think dair, upair or fair is much better, even grab too. Also with upair when the guy shields, it's a lot easier to shield stab. If the opponent fails to read you after a downthrow on a platform and then Ganon is in the middle, downsmash whoops cover the whole platform loll.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya it's mad strong, so much damage.. and I mean if the Nair double hits then it's still **** 22% haha.

Also I would like to add something useful for the jab. I know some players tries to CC the Jab so they can come back to attack you. But what you can do to prevent that.. is that you can jab and combo into dash attack if they do CC. Jab to dash attack is not used often but I think it can setup some nasty stuff at low % in that situation. I remember managing to knockdown the opponent after a dash attack and then techchase dair, followed by another combo... that's already 60+ dmg. And if not dair, you techchase fair. It works well on floaties and fast fallers.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Ya it's mad strong, so much damage.. and I mean if the Nair double hits then it's still **** 22% haha.

Also I would like to add something useful for the jab. I know some players tries to CC the Jab so they can come back to attack you. But what you can do to prevent that.. is that you can jab and combo into dash attack if they do CC. Jab to dash attack is not used often but I think it can setup some nasty stuff at low % in that situation. I remember managing to knockdown the opponent after a dash attack and then techchase dair, followed by another combo... that's already 60+ dmg. And if not dair, you techchase fair. It works well on floaties and fast fallers.
Yeah dude, I've been doing that ALOT. It almost always works, especially if you're playing someone that tries to react to the jab. It's pretty good, and depending on DI can lead to some wrecking.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah dude, I've been doing that ALOT. It almost always works, especially if you're playing someone that tries to react to the jab. It's pretty good, and depending on DI can lead to some wrecking.
Ah ya.. I remember doing something completely unorthodox with that combo today. I also wonder what causes the dash attack to send opponents where the dash attack went. It's so weird, like dash attack into fair actually comboed for some reason lol.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Ah ya.. I remember doing something completely unorthodox with that combo today lol. I also wonder what causes the dash attack to send opponents where the dash attack went. It's so weird, like dash attack into fair actually comboed for some reason lol.
Yeah, the coolest thing I've done with the dash attack was jab into dash attack to nair to fair. It was pretty cool. Dude, when are you getting a combo vid up? It seems like I'm the only Ganon trying to pop them out these days :/

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah, the coolest thing I've done with the dash attack was jab into dash attack to nair to fair. It was pretty cool. Dude, when are you getting a combo vid up? It seems like I'm the only Ganon trying to pop them out these days :/
Ya I've been thinking about it, but I need a lot more vids to make a combo video. I want to record so bad.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so i'm starting to get to the level where i can start to see spotdodges. but i don't usually know what to do with them. i don't feel like i have enough time to punish with dair, so all i get out of a solid read is a grab...which can **** but meh.

is there anything you guys think would be more useful out of a spotdodge read?

Superspright

Smash Lord
If you are reading the spotdodges, can't you merely time anything you want and hit? I mean, aside from really slow stuff like fsmash, utilt, warlock punch, etc.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
If you are reading the spotdodges, can't you merely time anything you want and hit? I mean, aside from really slow stuff like fsmash, utilt, warlock punch, etc.
Grabbing is pretty good as far as reads go. You get the throw damage, plus an almost guaranteed aerial following it. So I'm not sure what exactly you had in mind besides grabbing. You could always bair/fair/ftilt if you're trying to mix it up and mess up their DI out of the dodge. It's just situational.

Top Bottom