• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Sheik - CC, Chaingrab?

Peach - 1) Grab 2) Watch for DI and punish appropriately 3.) ???? 4.) Profit.

(Side note) Grab turnips. Those are so win, and don't hold down when she dsmashes, and when you have to recover, come from up under the ledge and get ready to tech. (*****es love it when n!ggas tech ****)

Falco - Powershield lasers, full hop bairs and fairs while going through lasers, jab or d angled tilt illusions and then punish up-b appropriately with a run off fair or dair.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Sheik - CC, Chaingrab?

Peach - 1) Grab 2) Watch for DI and punish appropriately 3.) ???? 4.) Profit.

(Side note) Grab turnips. Those are so win, and don't hold down when she dsmashes, and when you have to recover, come from up under the ledge and get ready to tech. (*****es love it when n!ggas tech ****)

Falco - Powershield lasers, full hop bairs and fairs while going through lasers, jab or d angled tilt illusions and then punish up-b appropriately with a run off fair or dair.
Rofl if you would play Vwins or Armada, you would not say that, grabbing turnips like we said before is freaking hard.. like the way they use it and the way they space is so weird.. I'm not sure how to punish it... Anyways but vs any other Peach.. then.. ya. lol.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Rofl if you would play Vwins or Armada, you would not say that, grabbing turnips like we said before is freaking hard.. like the way they use it and the way they space is so weird.. I'm not sure how to punish it... Anyways but vs any other Peach.. then.. ya. lol.
Definitely gonna have to play them to see what all the fuss is about. lol

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
VWins is coming to LBT2, right? :D yay

Spider sense, you said recover from below the ledge, is there a reason for this? I know that when they Dair -> Fair combo you, you can DI the Dair down and Up B quickly to survive, but what if they just Bair you? I'm sure they can Bair you -> Float off stage for another aerial since you're under the edge.

Also against Falco, at what % can you CC -> Grab/Jab his Nairs and Dairs? Thanks, guys.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
VWins is coming to LBT2, right? :D yay

Spider sense, you said recover from below the ledge, is there a reason for this? I know that when they Dair -> Fair combo you, you can DI the Dair down and Up B quickly to survive, but what if they just Bair you? I'm sure they can Bair you -> Float off stage for another aerial since you're under the edge.

Also against Falco, at what % can you CC -> Grab/Jab his Nairs and Dairs? Thanks, guys.
Believe it or not you can tech the bair. Which I suggested you come from up below the stage. Nairs are the only thing you kinda have to worry about, but if you DI correctly it just sends you up higher and outward, and usually you'll get a second chance to recover and it's usually easier.

About Falco. You can pretty much grab his dairs depending on the timing and space. and I think you can CC around 25-30% Usually down throw to up throw messes up their DI and if they're on top of a platform. It places them there in which case you the ledge hop to re grab. Oh and I recently told Guini you can d-throw to d-tilt at around 50% and it's guaranteed to hit and depending where they DI, it sets them up for a tech chase, up air or grab. Mess around with it. See what else you can do.

Linguini

Smash Master
lol good **** vs shroomed, it was mad funny when we started laughing our ***** off every time we got a hit while playing haha

Im so pissed my sets in 3rd round pools when i 2-0'd lucky and chu got erased, for some reason some of my coolest sets always get wiped out by some technical error.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lol good **** vs shroomed, it was mad funny when we started laughing our ***** off every time we got a hit while playing haha

Im so pissed my sets in 3rd round pools when i 2-0'd lucky and chu got erased, for some reason some of my coolest sets always get wiped out by some technical error.
It's a conspiracy, they never want to show amazing Ganon vids. I get pretty pissed too when I don't have good sets recorded, and it happens A LOT. I know how it feels.

Edit: I have recorded stuff from yesterday's weekly, it was fun lol. =P I hope hell get the stuff uploaded quickly.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

LOL, that's how it is man. If we would practice more together omg.. lol. When we played we were always just sooo close of doing ridiculous combos. Always one hit away from finishing the guy or continuing it. If we adjust just a bit more then I'm sure we can take any team lol.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
F*** Linguini's too good. You can do it, but I'm starting to think I can't get Ganon to beat a fox of that calibur. Houston's king is a fox main and I'm just tired of getting 3 and 4 stocked. I switched to Doc and promptly kicked ***. Ganon is still my main, but I'll use Doc or Falcon where I fail with Ganon.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Thanks Spider Sense. I'll be sure to play around with that DThrow -> DTilt thing. I assume its the same with Fox, but the %s would be off by just a little.

Also, supposed I was hit with a Dair -> Nair and I DI'd up and slightly in. I'm at high percent, so I get blasted very high. I have enough time to Down B + Jump, and I will still be over the ledge. Am I still going to be recovering from beneath, or would I be attempting to recover from above now?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
F*** Linguini's too good. You can do it, but I'm starting to think I can't get Ganon to beat a fox of that calibur. Houston's king is a fox main and I'm just tired of getting 3 and 4 stocked. I switched to Doc and promptly kicked ***. Ganon is still my main, but I'll use Doc or Falcon where I fail with Ganon.
Why not? lol.

Linguini

Smash Master
LOL, that's how it is man. If we would practice more together omg.. lol. When we played we were always just sooo close of doing ridiculous combos. Always one hit away from finishing the guy or continuing it. If we adjust just a bit more then I'm sure we can take any team lol.
defenitely man, **** was way too fun, remember when we almost broke alukards shield with double fair to double jab ROFL

Renth haha, i was so stoned/wasted throughout the whole 3rd day

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Thanks Spider Sense. I'll be sure to play around with that DThrow -> DTilt thing. I assume its the same with Fox, but the %s would be off by just a little.

Also, supposed I was hit with a Dair -> Nair and I DI'd up and slightly in. I'm at high percent, so I get blasted very high. I have enough time to Down B + Jump, and I will still be over the ledge. Am I still going to be recovering from beneath, or would I be attempting to recover from above now?
Come in from way above and make sure you save you jump, and try to land safety onto the platform, then get away asap to better position yourself, or better yet, try to get for the ledge without using your up-b.

A pretty good idea too see what I'm talking about is to watch old Renth vs Exarch vids.

This vids is also pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUolfua4-Fo <--- Notice how Rockcrock tries to come in under whenever possible?

@ Kage - lol DBL Ganon team is so silly. :p

Yo Kage I'll MM you for like $5?

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I never got the chance to play a Falco and try the DThrow -> DTilt -> Aerial thing.

So... Now I've encountered another problem. How do I get about a Fox that likes to waveshine me? Or... Just a very technical Fox in general. I feel very limited, and I die way too quickly. They say its easy to gimp Ganon.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You gotta Smash DI away the shine and you must control the middle, no matter what.. you cant play off stage with a spacie, it's just too risky. Jabs, jump back upair, F tilts, back jump fair too.. I think all that for defense strategies.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
lets see how to say this without sounding like a complete noob...

Crouch canceling is amazing. I got back from a tournament, and although i didn't really place well at all (9th out of 14...) i find it useful that at low %s, i can usually get a cc jab or a cc dtilt from a lot of things that fox or peach would do. problem is when i only start looking to cc, they start grabbing. i guess i just wanna say thanks for the advice, i did a lot better against one falcon in particular that i couldn't even touch a few months ago. (Darksyde/Josh, so u know, ACE) i usually got him down to 1 stock, and i'm pretty sure i beat him a few matches.

no real new problems came up that i think i want to ask about though. i need to work on the marth matchup, but i think part of that will come with understanding bair's hitbox better. i think i'm not spacing it right, and it gets me eaten alive.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Good **** Chris. CC grab is reeally good also. CC dtilt is gonna be really situational vs Fox though. I'm gonna see if I can make it out to duke this weekend. Hopefully you're going so we can play a ton of matches and go over some stuff.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well it took out some of the turnip -> fair combos. normally after the fair i'd get dash attacked then uaired and maybe something else...idk. but instead i'd get faired, then get my own jab or dtilt and then an uair, maybe more. of course, if a dsmash came, i'd get messed up, but stingers didn't really use it during our tourney match.

"a lot" wasn't really the right word. but it did take out dash attacks and nair/fair's, both of which were combo starters against me, but now are generally something i can get a jab or dtilt from.

and ace, that'd be awesome if you could. i played a few matches with jim while there. ganon dittos are... interesting, and i'm learning more and more as i play.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
It would have sucked if the Peach you played is very good at adapting, and noticed your CC. He would have just DSmashed after float canceling a Fair.

The Mighty Kiwi

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Ganondorf for a while now, I even used him in friendlies at tournament, but I was wondering if I should bother using Ganondorf. Does he have any good matchups?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I've been playing Ganondorf for a while now, I even used him in friendlies at tournament, but I was wondering if I should bother using Ganondorf. Does he have any good matchups?
For Ganon:
Hardest = Sheik, top level Fox
disadvantage = Falcon, Jiggs, Falco
Even = Ganon, Peach, Marth*
slight advantage = Doc, Mario, Luigi, DK, Samus*, ICs, Link, Pikachu
Advantage = everyone else.

*I think marth barely wins but this is probably the best spot for him.
*I also think Samus is very close to even, but about half of the ppl in that tier are

This is just my opinion. Overall Ganon doesn't have many matchups where you can mess around and still win lol.. A lot of his matchups, especially with the more common tourney characters, are close to even. This is why matchup knowledge is so important, especially for Papa Dorf. matchups like fox, sheik and falcon take a lot of effort and are not always fun, but they are all still winnable.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
He's my answer to Peach and Marth.

YS seems like the only stage where Ganon goes even with Marth. Everywhere else gives Marth the advantage.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
YS is good for both chars... better for marth imo, mostly due to the size of the stage and the auto-tippers on platforms. It being a small stage with narrow blastzones generally makes it easier for Marth to get Ganon offstage (Ganon dies).

I think DL64 could be in Ganon's favor, FD/BF are close to even, and Marth wins PS/FoD. It's so close though it's kinda hard to say.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I really like BF against marth :\ I feel like I get a lot of the same bonuses you'd find on YS without sacrificing fluidity where marth on the other hand can't fsmash tip you (NEARLY as easily) through platforms, ganon has the survivability advantage against marth there also, supposing you don't get gimped :O Dunno, it's definitely not a huge deal but i'd take BF over FD just cause of the platforms. Then again i'm also in love with FoD when I play as falcon >_>

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i feel like this is a generally odd question to ask on the ganon boards, but i think it might be useful to ask when i do pick up a secondary....someday

Who would you guys suggest as the best secondary to supplement ganon's play? would it just be fox, as it makes one of his worst matchups instantly even (fox ditto's) and the other in his favor (fox v shiek is in fox's favor...right?).

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well ya any alt characters would be Fox in general since he's the best character in the game lol.

But it all comes down to playstyle. I would use Falcon as a secondary because I don't care about matchups, I care about having the most fun while playing. lol.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
It really depends on your personal weaknesses as a player IMO. We have a fairly fleshed out idea of where characters go as far the basic matchup is concerned, but you should also prioritize based on what matchups you are good or bad at. For example, I'm much better against the space animals than I am against falcon, so I'd be more concerned about making sure I take care of that matchup first. Remember, they are secondaries. You aren't going to have time to learn them as well as your main, so they need to be used for things you have an issue with. Don't pick a secondary because someone told else told you that x is what you need to be concerned about.

That being said, why you would ever pick another character other than Ganon is a mystery to me.

Linguini

Smash Master
I only play sheik when I get cped to a gay *** level like rainbow cruise or corneria.lol people don't know i can play sheik until i bust her out and **** their **** on their cp haha

DippnDots

Feral Youth
im with kage >_> but uh, you should try mario or weegee, pretty solid combo game(edit: grab-> utilts and jabs all day) on spacies/falcon, you won't place high at a tourney with solely mario/luigi but if they're a secondary you won't be relying on that. You just still have to cry about sheiks.

ice climbers are a blast, and honestly, don't require nearly as much technical skill as you might initially think. Desynching requires more of a rhythm than fast paced button hitting, it just takes a while to get really precise/consistent with them. A lot of sheiks fear icies, though i hear at higher levels it's not in icies favor like most people believe.

On a not-tourney-serious side note, roy is really fun on FD

Top Bottom