• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
I would argue it's just as hard to beat Darkrain on his home Midwest turf than it is to beat Kels. You don't just fight him, you fight every spectator in the entire venue, lol.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I only played Darkrain 2 matches in my life. I was so star struck that I ended up choking hard after really wanting a chance to play him. I got 3 stocked on FD, and 2 stocked on FoD.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I was also 2 stocked on FoD. I was actually up 3-2, playing the best I ever had, and then he did what darkrain does best... he adapted lol and I barely touched him. Nervous and choke johns to the max.

One thing that I did notice about him, however, was that his teching patterns were pretty readable at times.

EDIT: where can I watch all of kage's matches from fc? I saw them in person, but I would like to re-watch them... especially vs. Kels (I'm never gonna let Kelly live that one down haha)

If someone could provide a link, that would be awesome.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Kage, I just got around to watching that set between you and Mango and it was super awesome.

Like seriously, mad props.

One question though, were you doing powershield-shieldgrabs? It seems like you were shieldgrabbing mango more than he should be.

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
There's some great **** vs Fox in both those vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDPNk9SE-eM&list=UU1OoIWMRWyKRjH32i36AfXg&index=5&feature=plpp_video vs kels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIBQ5hJuOg&feature=g-all-u vs Mango

Jock, you asked me that a lot of KOs Mango got on me could've of been edge teched. I try every time to survive but I'm not very good at teching on walls while doing the SDI.. sometimes it's not possible though. As for shield grabbing well sometimes you can make your opponent mess up his spacing by tilting your shield a little so that he hits it earlier for a shield grab. A PS-Grab should not make a difference frame wise but to me it feels faster... and it causes different timings for your opponent too, it's harder to L-Cancel a move when you got PSed I think but usually Mango didn't mess up. But doing PS to jab is definitely awesome too, it throws off the momentum pretty much right away lol.

Are top players assumed to always be able to tech at will? That seems ridiculous.

Oh wow and finally doubles set from Impulse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmocEuTErr8&feature=related.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
There's some great **** vs Fox in both those vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDPNk9SE-eM&list=UU1OoIWMRWyKRjH32i36AfXg&index=5&feature=plpp_video vs kels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIBQ5hJuOg&feature=g-all-u vs Mango

Jock, you asked me that a lot of KOs Mango got on me could've of been edge teched. I try every time to survive but I'm not very good at teching on walls while doing the SDI.. sometimes it's not possible though. As for shield grabbing well sometimes you can make your opponent mess up his spacing by tilting your shield a little so that he hits it earlier for a shield grab. A PS-Grab should not make a difference frame wise but to me it feels faster... and it causes different timings for your opponent too, it's harder to L-Cancel a move when you got PSed I think but usually Mango didn't mess up. But doing PS to jab is definitely awesome too, it throws off the momentum pretty much right away lol.

Are top players assumed to always be able to tech at will? That seems ridiculous.

Oh wow and finally doubles set from Impulse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmocEuTErr8&feature=related.
Nice job beating Kels bro...I think I see some G.Vice tricks around 11:03 :)

Proud of ya.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
watched most of the set v. kels, wp kage. I noticed those unsafe firefoxes in the beginning, and apparently you did too which is why you went to punish that borderline one @ 2:30 and barely missed. ;>

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
someone call strongbad or sveet or bones or something. i really want to know. doesn't powershielding help your grab? it really seems like it does. I also seem to remember it affecting shield knockback, like how far the person in shield slides. But who knows: i never can remember how this game works

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
power shielding never helps grabs. you still suffer the same amount of shield stun but you suffer more shied push back.

the does help with attacking out of shield since you suffer no lag from shield dropping unlike when you just normally shield drop.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Not entirely.

Powershielding helps grabs because your opponent is virtually never expecting a powershield as much as the player attempting to powershield is (the element of surprise, you are more prepared than they are).

Also, does shield SDI/ASDI work with powershields? if so, the added pushback can be severely weakened (not sure though).

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well the pushback can help you gain a grab because if they tried to overshoot, you are still in range for a grab.. and also it helps stuff the next incoming move if they successfully L-canceled. You can definitely grab the shine or the jump even.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I wouldn't believe that were Kage if the Ganon wasn't green.

He's getting pretty good at technical stuff.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I wouldn't believe that were Kage if the Ganon wasn't green.

He's getting pretty good at technical stuff.
The things that he does that impress me do not involve the technical things. To me, that's not impressive, however his decision making and general spacing are amazing.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Well you could also use those technical things + decision making and then it looks even more awesome.
I think the major difference between you and some really solid Ganon players out there is your DI away from combos and hits. Like honestly, alot of time I might be thinking "oh yeah that's what I would have done" or sometimes I even say "ahhh that wasn't the best choice there." I can see what you want to do alot of time, but the difference is that you get in positions to actually do it instead of getting combo'd everywhere like me. It's the little things that impress me, not the waveland bair mixups. Those things are needed yeah, but it's your positioning and subtle things that make you so good.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Yeah those are the things I don't have as well, but are essential to higher level ganon play.

I recognize it, but can't replicate it very well.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The things that he does that impress me do not involve the technical things. To me, that's not impressive, however his decision making and general spacing are amazing.
Yeah, those are what's amazing. I didn't mean to say otherwise. Those are still the highlights of his play.

I was just observing that he's getting a lot better at the technical things that he used to be terrible at.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Yeah, those are what's amazing. I didn't mean to say otherwise. Those are still the highlights of his play.

I was just observing that he's getting a lot better at the technical things that he used to be terrible at.
He hasn't been terrible since 2009 technically. He's just not cramming it down our throats like myself, Spidey, or Blackchris do. Lol, he's been pretty solid since about 2010, but yes I agree. He is improving still.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ah yeah powershielding does help. You often get out of range of the shine due to the extra knockback. I knew it helped me as marth a lot.

and kage is amazing.. he actually applies pressure properly and shuts down options instead of just throwing out random aerials repeatedly like most ganons

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
He hasn't been terrible since 2009 technically. He's just not cramming it down our throats like myself, Spidey, or Blackchris do. Lol, he's been pretty solid since about 2010, but yes I agree. He is improving still.
Dude, you don't give yourself enough credit. I agree that sometimes you don't make the best decisions, to go for flash and stuff, but that's what makes your combo video so awesome :). You're far from a brainless ganon... I'm still working on that

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Dude, you don't give yourself enough credit. I agree that sometimes you don't make the best decisions, to go for flash and stuff, but that's what makes your combo video so awesome :). You're far from a brainless ganon... I'm still working on that

When you make a combo video you feature the flashy stuff. If only you guys knew how many times I would go for something and miss it and die lol.

Yeah, I'm not brainless, but I feel like if I took a page outta Kage's "basics" book it'd do me alot of good. Thanks for the props though man.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
G. Vice is 2nd/3rd best active Ganon in the world.

Great zero to death on vudujin kage, but we all know that is just horrible di on his part lol.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
G. Vice is 2nd/3rd best active Ganon in the world.

Great zero to death on vudujin kage, but we all know that is just horrible di on his part lol.
Hey, I'm just taking opportunity, no johns. Not my fault my presence is too much for him so it makes people scared to do the right things vs me. If that weren't true, I would have a much harder time to do well.

Top Bottom