• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

bliu12

Smash Apprentice
how bad is the peach matchup? i have a friend here who says its like 70-30 or 60-40 peach. i personally cant prove him wrong. i cant stop turnips. any advice?

spider_sense

Smash Champion
peach is just as bad as falcon imo. but yeah pretty much what kage said. fox is super close w/sheik.
Meh, I think it's close to even (45-55) at the highest level. Turnips shouldn't really present a problem for Ganon; it's one of the few projectiles in the game that can be caught and thrown back.

I personally think Ganon's worst match ups are as followed. Sheik and Fox, and that's pretty much it. Fox is definitely winnable along with the rest of the cast, but Sheik is just plain silly.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
how bad is the peach matchup? i have a friend here who says its like 70-30 or 60-40 peach. i personally cant prove him wrong. i cant stop turnips. any advice?
You have to learn how to grab turnips that are thrown and use the turnips to create your own space since Ganon's throw is amazing. When a turnip is used, it's possibility for you to setup some neat stuff... I'm really bad at explaining what could be good but I mean using the stun of the turnip on shield could be a grab for you.. or if you hit her with it.. then there's a possible ground move or aerial... even on shield but that's more of a guess I suppose. You can't really challenge Peach's move much since her priority is pretty ridiculous which is why you really have to pick your moves and be patient. This matchup definitely requires patience and it's probably the matchup which will last the longest on average. You can stuff her float with Up angled Ftilt... and if you think she's coming down with a Fair, I think a regular Ftilt works too. In general, you want Peach above you for you to use those upairs.. Peach doesn't have much against that. =p

spider_sense

Smash Champion
You have to learn how to grab turnips that are thrown and use the turnips to create your own space since Ganon's throw is amazing. When a turnip is used, it's possibility for you to setup some neat stuff... I'm really bad at explaining what could be good but I mean using the stun of the turnip on shield could be a grab for you.. or if you hit her with it.. then there's a possible ground move or aerial... even on shield but that's more of a guess I suppose. You can't really challenge Peach's move much since her priority is pretty ridiculous which is why you really have to pick your moves and be patient. This matchup definitely requires patience and it's probably the matchup which will last the longest on average. You can stuff her float with Up angled Ftilt... and if you think she's coming down with a Fair, I think a regular Ftilt works too. In general, you want Peach above you for you to use those upairs.. Peach doesn't have much against that. =p
Can't you retreat uair the falling fair from Peach? Or does it trade? I've done the up angled ftilt more cause it seems safer.

Superspright

Smash Lord
If you're close and they shield as peach you can just keep bouncing the turnip off their shield. It's easy and stupid. But why isn't anyone talking about PSing them? :D Or, PSing her laggy attacks in the first place? Her fair is a joke to PS.

bliu12

Smash Apprentice
my friend whos a peach main says theres too much lag when ganon catches the turnip. whenever i caught the turnip, i always got faired or naired. what am i doing wrong?

i guess i could also learn how to PS them.

@blackchris: what should i be doing to make sure she stays off the ledge?

Superspright

Smash Lord
If you're coming at each other, and he throws his turnip and you catch it then yeah. if you're very close and you catch, that's no good. Try to catch them farther away. You'll get a feel for when it's safe to grab it.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
run around and look silly, make her think she's safe, and then waveland back in and back air her when she thinks she's actually able to get off the ledge.

actually edgeguarding her and keeping her from getting to the edge is a pain and usually not worth the effort.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
lol.....i played pp this this weekend though, we had some good *** matches!
I envy your skill in the falco matchup. Sheik/Falco/Fox vs Ganon really kinda depress me sometimes. Especially in a state that's very well trained vs all things Ganon :/

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
fox only depresses me when i play everlasting yay.

otherwise, it feels entirely playable, and somewhat enjoyable.

falco hasn't depressed me since i made some improvements, but i only got one semi-serious match with dr. peepee this last tournament, so maybe i just need a good dosing of his falco to strengthen some hate against the bird.

edit: also, yeah...sheik...yeah.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'm relatively new to playing Melee at a competitive level (You can probably tell that because this is my first post, and I just made this account). I play Melee a bit when I was younger, dropped it for a while, and picked it up again last summer.

So I was curious, what's the best way for me to practice. I've tried battling Level 9 CPUs, but they aren't much of a challenge. My Ganon has gotten pretty good at combat and edgeguarding , although I still have a lot of room to improve. I still haven't gotten the hang of short hops, fast falls, wave guarding, or moon walking. I figure I should learn those, but it's not much fun to sit around for hours jumping up and down.

Anyway, like I said, I can beat the Level 9 guys pretty easily. However, I don't really know anyone to play against. The few people I know who play the game think Brawl is better because is has nicer graphics, I have no chance against a Level 9 Fox because he's faster than Ganon (I can consistently 3-4stock a level 9 Fox, which I assume is the minimum requirement to play in a competitive tournament), etc. I suppose, if I had not other choice, I could spend time trying to teach them to get better. There aren't any tournaments near me for me to practice at. There is one 3 hours away that'll be held in a couple months, but I don't want to drive that far when I'm not very good at the game yet. Of course, if I'd looked here sooner, I would have noticed there was a tournament 5 minutes from where I live that was held last weekend. So are there any ways to make the CPU harder so I have someone decent to fight against? Or should I just make the people I know get better at the game?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
optimal is get people around you better if possible. CPUs don't end up helping much when playing other people.

i would assume that if there was a tournament 5 minutes away, that there would be some sort of community nearby, unless it was at a video game store...

be sure to look around your local threads in your region; you may be surprised at where some people live, especially if you have had a tournament nearby.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Alright, I just found the regional section of the forums. Like I said, I'm new to this, so don't know much about my region.

Out of curiosity, I read that you can play Melee online using Dolphin. Do a lot of people do that for practice? I get a lot of my practice done at school on my laptop (with a Gamecube controller, of course).

Also, this is the tournament that took place near me: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=312519 I assume you live near me, because you came fifth.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
OH lol yeah where do you live? HELL yeah more ganons.

also, if you're 5 minutes from there, you're in the most melee rich part of the state. NCSU has a multitude of good players, and raleigh overall has a significant amount of skill. if you continue on to chapel hill and durham, there's a 20 mile radius of pure melee heaven.

i'm in greensboro, and we have a good core here too.

you're in GREAT hands.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'm glad to hear the area is good. I'm in Apex, just off of Raleigh. How often do they have tournaments? I'd like to participate in the next one.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
the next NCSU just got announced. stingers is trying to decide whether to host during thanksgiving weekend, or the weekend before, or just hold off until later.

theres a player in apex/holly springs, tac, who will be good to play, and is probably closest to you. If you post in our nc brocator thread, you'll see where everyone is.

edit: Brocation: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271393

Top Bottom