• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:How to Murder Stuff:. A Guide to the 'Dorf'

@HomE

Smash Ace
@weinner

Hahaha, ummmm..... using two of the slowest moves in the game isn't really a viable way to deal with projectiles...

but for lucario's AS, just wizkick over and over til you hit him in the face

P.s. (if they just keep spaming AS, and you keep canceling the with Down-B does it refresh your moves?)

:034:

Smash Hero
Or you could shield or SHAD... >_>

Anyway, where is Swoops? He needs to include a section about Ganny's homeboys... Namely, us.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I was thinking recently we could make a new guide, or revamp our existing guides.

... I'm not sure why, just, there's been a lot of (great!) work this year on the forefront of Ganon's meta, but seemingly little attention given to prospective new Ganons.

I mean, sure, few no new people come by here, but maybe it doesn't seem easy to break into our board. I'm worried that even if we are personally approachable, people just don't know the format for talking to us. Things are perhaps not laid out in a newb friendly manner.

But before all that, I'm just thinking that, with how Ganon has changed, the guide could be presented differently, with respect to fair, bair, Usmash and so on.

Just... something to try again to get people to want to use him. It's kind of nice to have this tight community (Hell, we're just a club, by numbers), but we all know in addition to good Ganons, you can evolve a meta with just lots of Ganons.

Or maybe I'm being really imperceptive again.

Also, I believe weinner was saying that utilt's wind could negate Aura Spheres. If so.... that's awesome. I will try this.

Smash Hero
Perhaps...

I could do a pretty good guide, but I think this guide is still really good. Swoops just doesn't really post anymore (although he apparently still got online on April Fools!).

Full dibs on making a guide though. One idea that I already have is Wizkick positioning... Editing screenshots to show where you can wizkick cancel/wizkick offstage effectively and such. I think that would be pretty useful for new players as well.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I mean, sure, few no new people come by here, but maybe it doesn't seem easy to break into our board. I'm worried that even if we are personally approachable, people just don't know the format for talking to us. Things are perhaps not laid out in a newb friendly manner.
Yeah, from an outsider's standpoint, the board lacks a real "approachability" element. On occasion I've tried to get into this board, but it just seems that my efforts have been in vain, for whatever reason.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
people just don't know the format for talking to us.
Haha.. You make it sound like we are a bunch of hot chicks ^^D

Yeah, from an outsider's standpoint, the board lacks a real "approachability" element. On occasion I've tried to get into this board, but it just seems that my efforts have been in vain, for whatever reason.
Hi there, and welcome to the Ganun boardz!
PM me for lovely dittos ~

Smash Hero
That's because most new players are well.... they're stupid. :D Not all of them, though. And I guess we were all new at some point (except for me and Swoops, Ganveterans 4 lief).

And I won't lie, this board does discriminate a little. Let's say I ask a question, and I get five answers, 4 from new players that I don't know and 1 from Kalm, I'd sooner listen to Kalm then to the other 4, even if he said something like "I'm not sure about this though". It's just the way people roll.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Let's say I ask a question, and I get five answers, 4 from new players that I don't know and 1 from Kalm, I'd sooner listen to Kalm then to the other 4, even if he said something like "I'm not sure about this though". It's just the way people roll.
Well, that goes without saying. Most people would trust people they know over people they don't know any day.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Yea as far as new people posting here if your name isn't (DAD, Kosk, Kalm, TP, Z1gma, stRIP, Ect...) its pretty difficult to get anyone here to take you seriously.

Alot of that is probably because, there probably arnt that many "no name" Ganon players who can tell us anything new.. or at least FEEL they can't tell us anything new (they probably can't)

Smash Hero
DAD did it though. Back in the days, I used to think "who is this hyperstation guy anyway?" but now he's a respected ganon homeboy. So it's definitely possible, you just gotta keep your head up.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Haha.. You make it sound like we are a bunch of hot chicks ^^D
Crap, we aren't?

... oh damm... ****.

**** -!

Well, that goes without saying. Most people would trust people they know over people they don't know any day.
It's more like, Appeal to Authority is just how it works around here.

And it does work. I mean, you combine an argument that "You can't fake skill with video proof," with reasoning like "Look, a guy isn't going to come on here and misrepresent and lie to us systematically, unless he's a Troll*, so we should generally believe that things people say are trying to be honestly helpful." and well-supported claims like "The real best players aren't Trolls" and thus conclude that "Things said by apparent pros are probably true, or verisimilar."

And that's how that goes. *pant pant*

It's totally warranted.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Crap, we aren't?

... oh damm... ****.

**** -!

It's more like, Appeal to Authority is just how it works around here.

And it does work. I mean, you combine an argument that "You can't fake skill with video proof," with reasoning like "Look, a guy isn't going to come on here and misrepresent and lie to us systematically, unless he's a Troll*, so we should generally believe that things people say are trying to be honestly helpful." and well-supported claims like "The real best players aren't Trolls" and thus conclude that "Things said by apparent pros are probably true, or verisimilar."

And that's how that goes. *pant pant*

It's totally warranted.
Not to mention the amount of times we have been "informed" about what happens when Ganon jumps and hits Down-B right after

It gets discouraging for Ganon mains...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'ts pretty difficult to get anyone here to take you seriously.
I take every Ganon seriously... But I follow the hints/tips of the highlevel Ganons more often.

I learned a few things about down+b spiking just by watching your vid, @Home.

Sometimes you don't need to write stuff to contribute..

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Why doesn't one of you guys make a quick thread with links to useful threads to put near the top of the page for newbie readers... and a new up-to-date guide would naturally be wonderful... as opposed to having two dead ones, lol.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I take every Ganon seriously... But I follow the hints/tips of the highlevel Ganons more often.

I learned a few things about down+b spiking just by watching your vid, @Home.

Sometimes you don't need to write stuff to contribute..
Well that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

These days I only get a Down+B spike if I make the decision before the match to REALLY try to get one, but its Soooo worth it. try sometime telling yourself before the match "I'm gonna Down+B spike this person in this match" you would be suprised how easy it is if you actually look for the opening.

(Before anyone tells me the Down+B spike is worthless, I agree it is very situational and overall not to useful, it sure is sexy)

weinner

Smash Apprentice
Did I just revive a stickied topic? The guide to Ganondorf, no less?

Also, I believe weinner was saying that utilt's wind could negate Aura Spheres. If so.... that's awesome. I will try this.
Much to my dismay of announcing it, it does not (If the wind kept it in place, that would be interesting). I simply put those moves there in the event that some person would try to get a free hit in while we are charging those attacks (Warlock Punch scares the crap out of people so they do not dare bring their lights into to our lair!).

ShinGaruda

Smash Journeyman
I think the real reason why some of us don't take new guys seriously is because we're paranoid from the Quake threads.

Smash Hero
Why doesn't one of you guys make a quick thread with links to useful threads to put near the top of the page for newbie readers... and a new up-to-date guide would naturally be wonderful... as opposed to having two dead ones, lol.
PhantomX, I saw you're our new mod soooo... Hang out with us s'more. We're kinda cool, I guess.

I'll write a new guide after April 14th and I'll probably make a newbie guide to the boards anywhere between now and this week. DIBS!

Conspiricy

Smash Journeyman
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm online, Brawl
I agree with shingaruda. I get annoyed when I see quake threads.

also, The board is kinda hard to get into, I try, but I think that I phail every time. ;_;

I think that a list of all the strings and combo's should be made. (I wish I had enough spare time to make one.)

-SIEG

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
You haven't mentioned about the fact that Dair as a spike is actually a one-hit KO.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
PhantomX, I saw you're our new mod soooo... Hang out with us s'more. We're kinda cool, I guess.

I'll write a new guide after April 14th and I'll probably make a newbie guide to the boards anywhere between now and this week. DIBS!
I do hang out, it's just more of a silent hanging out :p And the newbie guide would be amazing.

@HomE

Smash Ace
No is not..
At least not if the opponent is at ground level just by the ledge.
Just because I'm curious who has the strongest spike in the game? I use to think it was Ganon but I know thats not correct, I'm thinking Ness or Zelda, anyone know for sure?

stRIP

Smash Ace
Just because I'm curious who has the strongest spike in the game? I use to think it was Ganon but I know thats not correct, I'm thinking Ness or Zelda, anyone know for sure?
Ganons Dair and his DownB spike are the strongest in the game

There was a thread with a Spike Ranking

Cant find it anymore :<

TP

Smash Master
Ganons Dair and his DownB spike are the strongest in the game

There was a thread with a Spike Ranking

Cant find it anymore :<
If we wanna get technical, Ness has the strongest spike until about 30%, at which point our Dair overtakes it. Our Down B is the second strongest after a certain point. Our sourspot Dair is fifth.

I just noticed all that talk about joining this board. My first post on the entire forum was making a thread here asking how to beat Wolf. That was back when I made sure I had at least one joke in every post so that people would like me. Good times, good times.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
If we wanna get technical, Ness has the strongest spike until about 30%, at which point our Dair overtakes it. Our Down B is the second strongest after a certain point. Our sourspot Dair is fifth.

I just noticed all that talk about joining this board. My first post on the entire forum was making a thread here asking how to beat Wolf. That was back when I made sure I had at least one joke in every post so that people would like me. Good times, good times.
I did this test myself, a while back.

Spiking Power: (Highest to Lowest.)
Percentage required in training mode (similar procedure) to KO Mario downward in the water of Pirate Ship.

Ganondorf: 25 (d-air), 45 (Wizard's Foot, initial hitbox)
Ness: 26 (d-air)
Zelda: 38 (dair)
Ike: 40 (d-air)
Snake: 45 (f-air)
DK: 50 (d-air), 62 (f-air)
Toon Link: 57 (d-air)
G&W: 67 (d-air)
Charizard: 67 (d-air, 99 fatigued)
Marth: 70 (d-air)
Diddy: 70 (d-air)
Samus: 76 (d-air)
Falcon: 76 (d-air), 119 (Aerial Raptor Boost)
ROB: 79 (d-air)
Lucas: 81 (bair)
Falco: 84 (d-air)
Wolf: 84 (d-air)
Yoshi: 90 (f-air)
Mario: 109 (f-air)

So basically, our Wizard Foot is the fifth strongest tied with Snake's spike.

Ness actually has the strongest constant-knockback spike, meaning it does the most knockback of any spike at 0%. This is similar to Ness's forward throw, which always throws the opponent a large constant distance and increases very little with damage. Ganondorf or Zelda have spikes with extremely high linear knockback, similar to Ness's back throw. At 0 % percent Ness' is the strongest in terms of knockdown speed from 15- 110% it's Ganondorfs.

Besides, Ness's spike is almost always fresh, while Ganons is not.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I did this test myself, a while back.

Spiking Power: (Highest to Lowest.)
Percentage required in training mode (similar procedure) to KO Mario downward in the water of Pirate Ship.

Ganondorf: 25 (d-air), 45 (Wizard's Foot, initial hitbox)
Ness: 26 (d-air)
Zelda: 38 (dair)
Ike: 40 (d-air)
Snake: 45 (f-air)
DK: 50 (d-air), 62 (f-air)
Toon Link: 57 (d-air)
G&W: 67 (d-air)
Charizard: 67 (d-air, 99 fatigued)
Marth: 70 (d-air)
Diddy: 70 (d-air)
Samus: 76 (d-air)
Falcon: 76 (d-air), 119 (Aerial Raptor Boost)
ROB: 79 (d-air)
Lucas: 81 (bair)
Falco: 84 (d-air)
Wolf: 84 (d-air)
Yoshi: 90 (f-air)
Mario: 109 (f-air)

So basically, our Wizard Foot is the fifth strongest tied with Snake's spike.

Ness actually has the strongest constant-knockback spike, meaning it does the most knockback of any spike at 0%. This is similar to Ness's forward throw, which always throws the opponent a large constant distance and increases very little with damage. Ganondorf or Zelda have spikes with extremely high linear knockback, similar to Ness's back throw. At 0 % percent Ness' is the strongest in terms of knockdown speed from 15- 110% it Ganondorfs.

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking, that ness's was stronger in one aspect but Ganon at some point was stronger overall, nice.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Not really. Ness can either save the dair for those times Ness is in an edgeguard against someone coming in low, where he can jump out, avoid gimping (i.e. being breathed on), descend on the target with his antigrav sneakers, spike, and PK Thunder back toward the stage with Sakurai's permission; or he can stomp around all game using its base power and apt-for-short-hop execution time for relatively safe pressuring and damage racking.

Guess which camp I'm in.

Ness actually has the strongest constant-knockback spike, meaning it does the most knockback of any spike at 0%. This is similar to Ness's forward throw, which always throws the opponent a large constant distance and increases very little with damage. Ganondorf or Zelda have spikes with extremely high linear knockback, similar to Ness's back throw. At 0 % percent Ness' is the strongest in terms of knockdown speed from 15- 110% it Ganondorfs.
Cool stuff, but what do you mean by linear? You can describe the launch speed : damage relation as a function y = Ax +B ?

EDIT: Or, do you mean the linear term has a large coefficient?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
At least Ganon's dair as a spike has just enough potential to OHKO in most cases. Thunder Stomp is more reliable since it powerfully spikes wherever and whenever it connects unlike Ness' and most spikes.

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
What about ICs Fair spike, ZZS Down B spike and DDDs Up B spike?

TP

Smash Master

Well, I'm halfway through with the newbie guide, so expect it somewhere tomorrow.
That was a week ago. Any progress? I would LOVE to do the newbie guide if you aren't gonna finish yours.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The question everybody's wondering ! !

Does Dair inflict 22% damage or 23% ?

It inflicts 23% damage in a actuall match, but 22% in training mode.
For some stupid reason, attacks does 5% (5% of its full power) less damage in training mode.

B!squick

Smash Master
I saw a thread about this. ALL attacks ALWAYS do their base damage in training mode. In actual gameplay, an attack is either fresh or stale, so it never does it's base damage.

Top Bottom