• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How to Hatch a Healthy Yoshi: A Group Project - Who wants it?

Sharky

Smash Master
uh huh, that's nice =P

hehe jk, but I'm just going to assume that a non-yoshi player doesn't consider the stuff in your thread, Orion. =P

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
True enough. :laugh:

But then, most non-Yoshi players tend to assume Yoshi can't Egg Toss Jump either way, hehe.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
instead of posting a new thread i thought i'd ask this question here...
i've been developing ETS into my game recently and well sometimes i like run back but then slide forwards when i do it, is there a trick to preventing this?
I'm thinking this problem relates to how u can do a reverse upB in air which i also don't mean to do sometimes

if i get more info on this and get good at it i think i could make a video about it too like this Sheik DACUS one if it would be useful to ppl. (link is here if ur interested)

Sharky

Smash Master
I've actually been messing around with that, lately, believe it or not. I don't have a definite conclusion, yet, but I think it's the timing. To be more specific, I think that if you egg throw really quickly after your jump, you'll do the bouncing motion, and vice versa.

Again, I have no clue if that's right or not, yet. I'm still testing.

bigman40

Smash Master
It's wavebouncing the Egg Toss. to make sure you don't do it, you have to make sure that you go from running forward, to backwards/upwards. If you hit the B button anytime before it, you'll wavebounce it. (Yes, you can also wavebounce the ETS while running forwards)

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
hmm still don't get the timing its like i do the slide half the time and the bounce the other half

i guess the bounce isn't necessarily bad its just the slide is better

EDIT: now i think i'm getting slide more...the trick to me it seems is to delay the B after jump button a little more. Agreed?

.Marik

is a social misfit
I don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but this and Mmacs thread are sex. :yoshi:

auroreon

Smash Ace
Where oh where has our Mmac gone... looks like Cyan Yoshis are a dying breed =(

btw, what is this UBER PROJECT anyway?

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well this guide is amazing an all but hinders those who dont like reading blobs of text maybe it time to make a new one. that could be a project for the yoshi boards or just add some pictures to this one. i will help if anyone agrees with me

Airborne

Smash Lord
Keep that in mind, YI, but don't worry about making it. =)

Stay tuned...
yeah pictures make the guide more fun to read.... i don't know why, but that's the human mind for ya. =P

if this forum site was formatted to allow youtube vids on the threads instead of linking them, like haouken.tv, and i could get my series to be successful enough, that would be awesome..... but could you still help me if i need anything? btw, i might have to use a great deal of this information, since after all, i want this series be voiced by you and the rest of the YBR... not stupid, average me =P

Sharky

Smash Master
yeah pictures make the guide more fun to read.... i don't know why, but that's the human mind for ya. =P

if this forum site was formatted to allow youtube vids on the threads instead of linking them, like haouken.tv, and i could get my series to be successful enough, that would be awesome..... but could you still help me if i need anything? btw, i might have to use a great deal of this information, since after all, i want this series be voiced by you and the rest of the YBR... not stupid, average me =P
PM me about it. I'm sorry to say I haven't been able to put much time into smash at all, lately, due to school, work, rehearsals, etc, but if you need anything, in particular, I'll do my best to put at least a bit of time into it for you.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
i really wouldnt mind making one and since its the beginning of a new term ill have sooo much more time oh and

V V
just call me "Edge" i perfer it over yoshiislnader =]

bigman40

Smash Master
Would like to add to my part.

There are 3 types to DRing. You have a Tap jump method, a Tap off method, and the Slide method. We all know what the first two are, but what is exactly the third one? Well, simply put you setup the configuration to where you only need to either slide your thumb through either 2 jump buttons, or just through the whole thing.

This by far is the easiest method to mastering DR/DT. The only real thing you mainly have to worry about is finding the right slide so that the game won't register your jumps as one. As my method, Y B C-stick, is very consistant, when you find a method that can allow your thumb to slide too, you'll easily get to DRing/DTing like what I can.

Edit cause I'm a ****ing genious - Alright you people who hate to change configs. This method is using my method (sliding), and it's by far something that will EASILY eliminate mostly everyone's problems with DR/DT. All you would need to change is L to Attack (I'm sorry, but if you have that button used, then you could try the other shoulder buttons, but I'm horrible on my right hand). This is how you do it:

Make the tip of your thumb push in Y. Then slide your thumb across to X (yeah, it's gonna feel a tad wierd. Might as well stop being picky), and push in L while X is getting push in. That's it. You don't need any extra amount of energy to get it out. It's just that simple.

The tricky part is the fact that on the Official GC controller, (idk, my thumb is sort of medium sized...), you can accidentally make Y and X combine as one jump in game. You have to apply a light amount of pressure on Y so that when you get close (like millimeters lol) to X, Y will be back in it's original spot. This is the only part where you'd need to practice. Getting the right pressure is the main key to getting this method right.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Good job, YBR.

I'm guessing the grab-release-to-fair has been disproven on Sheik, Fox, and Wolf, since they were listed in Mmac's original thread but are absent here.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Would like to add to my part.

There are 3 types to DRing. You have a Tap jump method, a Tap off method, and the Slide method. We all know what the first two are, but what is exactly the third one? Well, simply put you setup the configuration to where you only need to either slide your thumb through either 2 jump buttons, or just through the whole thing.

This by far is the easiest method to mastering DR/DT. The only real thing you mainly have to worry about is finding the right slide so that the game won't register your jumps as one. As my method, Y B C-stick, is very consistant, when you find a method that can allow your thumb to slide too, you'll easily get to DRing/DTing like what I can.

Edit cause I'm a ****ing genious - Alright you people who hate to change configs. This method is using my method (sliding), and it's by far something that will EASILY eliminate mostly everyone's problems with DR/DT. All you would need to change is L to Attack (I'm sorry, but if you have that button used, then you could try the other shoulder buttons, but I'm horrible on my right hand). This is how you do it:

Make the tip of your thumb push in Y. Then slide your thumb across to X (yeah, it's gonna feel a tad wierd. Might as well stop being picky), and push in L while X is getting push in. That's it. You don't need any extra amount of energy to get it out. It's just that simple.

The tricky part is the fact that on the Official GC controller, (idk, my thumb is sort of medium sized...), you can accidentally make Y and X combine as one jump in game. You have to apply a light amount of pressure on Y so that when you get close (like millimeters lol) to X, Y will be back in it's original spot. This is the only part where you'd need to practice. Getting the right pressure is the main key to getting this method right.

I've always just used tap jump + X + A. Default controller configuration is just too ingrained in my brain.
It works pretty consistently for me, but I do find it hard to DT sometimes, would this be easier than having tap jump on? If it is then I may just have to attempt to turn tap jump off...

=(

EDIT: New guide looks amazing, this is a wonderful resource for aspiring Yoshis.
If theres anything I can do to help, Im more than willing to contribute.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Guys, the last edit on the guide was amazing.

Making the explanation about buffering, the offstage tips and thruths and last, but not least, the DR info are simply too sexy!! (*haves an orgasm*, sorry, I just had to).

Still, would also be nice some tips about DT, cause joining DR + Dash buffering isn't as simple, neither as obvious, as it seems. But I can wait till you guys are up to it. :)

Thanks for the too sexy guide (*holds himself from orgasming this time**phew*),
Love ya.

bigman40

Smash Master
I've always just used tap jump + X + A. Default controller configuration is just too ingrained in my brain.
It works pretty consistently for me, but I do find it hard to DT sometimes, would this be easier than having tap jump on? If it is then I may just have to attempt to turn tap jump off...

=(

EDIT: New guide looks amazing, this is a wonderful resource for aspiring Yoshis.
If theres anything I can do to help, Im more than willing to contribute.
At this point, stick with what you're comfortable with. Since you can work well with tap jump on, then it doesn't make sense for you to have to work again with tap jump off unless you choose to do it.

With my own setup it's super easy to both DR and DT simply because my left hand isn't worrying about pushing a button or tapping up. All it has to do is point left or right while my right thumb goes down the controller.

Guys, the last edit on the guide was amazing.

Making the explanation about buffering, the offstage tips and thruths and last, but not least, the DR info are simply too sexy!! (*haves an orgasm*, sorry, I just had to).

Still, would also be nice some tips about DT, cause joining DR + Dash buffering isn't as simple, neither as obvious, as it seems. But I can wait till you guys are up to it. :)

Thanks for the too sexy guide (*holds himself from orgasming this time**phew*),
Love ya.
Tips on DT might come soon. I'm gonna start using it in matches (mostly friendlies atm) so I can get it back into my system. Before, it was fairly detached from my game, where if I wanted to DR, I would become very grounded (which isn't good). I'm gonna try to apply it so it doesn't skewer my playstyle like last time.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I've used DT a few times in matches, just to see what I can do with it. Mainly I just used it to freak them out.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
I've searched the forum and haven't been able to find anything on this topic: the trajectory of Yoshi's throws. I'm specifically talking about f-throw and b-throw. Sometimes the throw sends the opponents a short distance horizontally and largely vertically. Other times it, preferably, sends the opponent on a primarily horizontal trajectory.

Does anyone know how to produce one trajectory over the other, or at least what factors might influence this trajectory? It might be random chance, but I'm hoping it isn't.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Afaik the f and bthrow have set knockback which cannot be DI't at low% but later (don't know exactly when) your opponent is able to DI which makes the influence lol

Bwett

Smash Ace
This is some advice I gave to a friend. I figured yall might need it as the offensive part of Yoshi's game. Use whatever piece you would like for the guide.

One of Yoshi's best approaches is with his bair. You should always weave in with bair to poke at their shield and retreat afterward. Yoshi has the fastest horizontal aerial movement in the game and won't be punished easily from this. If you ever poke your opponent and hit them with bair, you have several options. The safest option is to follow up with utilt, which can lead into repeated uairs, usmash, or pivot grabs. As a mix-up but punishable, you can do bair > ftilt > utilt. The ftilt has a few more start up frames but can throw off your opponent to add a bit more damage. Several other great mix-ups are to use only the first 1 or 2 hits of bair by fastfalling. Bair can also lead into down-b. I'm not sure if it is guaranteed ever, but it can hit and it does kill.

Yoshi's bair is deceiving and many people drop their shield too early so you can follow up with the combos safely, but once they learn to shield the entire hit and expect it, you can approach like you are about to bair, and instead turn around with an egglay. This will keep your opponent guessing whether they should shield your approach, or evade by either roll, spotdodge, etc.

In general, I find that there is a huge lack in use of egg lay, which is one of my favorite attacks. Although not a very damaging move, egg lay creates a great psychological effect on your opponent. When I play someone that isnt used to Yoshi, I prey on their inexperience of my grab game. Egg lay causes them to feel a loss of control and if you read them with multiple, it is quite damaging. Outside of mindgames, egg lay is a great move to force someone to stop shielding. Besides the last setup, you can SH over the opponent and egglay the other way as a cross up. You should also experiment with DJC egg lay.

Yoshi is really good at forcing your opponent to do what you want him to do.

Yoshi's grab offers a great tool at your disposal. Dash grab and pivot grab are probably going to be your most used forms. Unless you shield extremely laggy moves or multihit moves, you shouldn't shield grab. Repeated grabs annoy your opponent quite a bit and because of it's range, you can get off chains of 4 or more grabs if you read them properly. Spaced pivot grabs are extremely hard to punish and will force your opponent in the air, which, for most characters, is exactly where you want them to be.

Eggs, which I believe is one of the best projectiles in the game since it shield pokes and has the ability to hit the opponents shield twice, force your opponent to approach. A downside to egg throwing is that it can be alittle laggy so it shouldn't be used up close. Also, faster projectiles can force you to approach instead (fox, falco). As a habit, any time I throw an egg on stage, I use ETS. If I'm on the ledge, I generally never throw more than 3 eggs. The last two or more eggs that give me momentum, I use as a precaution in case the opponent knocks me back off before I can touch the ground.

Usmash and uair have AMAZING priority, range, speed, and damage. Abuse these moves. Usmashes can chain into other usmashes and same with uairs. Of course, they aren't guaranteed, but good given certain situations.

Furthermore, do not worry about saving any moves for a kill move. Unfortunately, yoshi has no move powerful enough that is worth saving. I use all moves at all times to rack up damage extremely fast and kill at ridiculous percents. Fortunately, Yoshi is an extremely heavy character and can usually live around 180% as long as you don't get hit by unusually strong attacks like DDD's and Snake's utilt. Because of this, you end up killing them before they can kill you.

For potential kill moves, usmash, uair, and downb (grounded) are the easiest to pull off. Once you get used to an advanced Yoshi playstyle, then you should work on nairs and fsmashes as well. The sweetspot of nair is surprisingly strong and can kill rather early.

Because Yoshi has such a hard time killing, you need a wide array of kill move setups. Here are a list of different setups that I use to kill:

1) While opponent is in the air, throw an egg. Punish air dodge with uair.

2) If opponent is close to you, jab once > downb.

3) While opponent is in the air, uair to force a dodge and uair again to punish.

4) While opponent is on the ground, SH approach. While in the air, once you reach grab range against opponent, rising nair. If done correctly, you cannot be shield grabbed.

5) If the opponent is on the ground or holding on the ledge, run towards them. Once you reach a roll's length away from them, double pivot into a charged fsmash. Opponent will try to grab your running animation or roll onto the stage, both into the fsmash.

6) If you are both in the air with opponent below you, dair. Fast fall so where you finish the dair below them and uair.

7) While edgeguarding, grab the ledge. Drop from ledge to rising nair. (If they time it correctly, this could gimp you so be careful)

auroreon

Smash Ace
Excellent little guide there Bwett, really nice summary of Yoshi's general options.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Possibly, I think that might work. I'll test it, if you'd like.

Sharky

Smash Master
Yoshinator, you should add my frame data list onto here.
I'm done with school for the semester in about 8 1/2 hours, I'll happily do it before the weekend is out. =)
I've searched the forum and haven't been able to find anything on this topic: the trajectory of Yoshi's throws. I'm specifically talking about f-throw and b-throw. Sometimes the throw sends the opponents a short distance horizontally and largely vertically. Other times it, preferably, sends the opponent on a primarily horizontal trajectory.

Does anyone know how to produce one trajectory over the other, or at least what factors might influence this trajectory? It might be random chance, but I'm hoping it isn't.
It's all about the DI. If they DI badly, it'll go horizontally, if they have good DI, it'll most often have a more upward trajectory (depending on the situation, of course).
This was a nice guide. Will definitely help my yoshi get a little better :)
much honored for the compliment, as I'm sure are the rest of the contributors.
This is some advice I gave to a friend. I figured yall might need it as the offensive part of Yoshi's game. Use whatever piece you would like for the guide.

One of Yoshi's best approaches is with his bair. You should always weave in with bair to poke at their shield and retreat afterward. Yoshi has the fastest horizontal aerial movement in the game and won't be punished easily from this. If you ever poke your opponent and hit them with bair, you have several options. The safest option is to follow up with utilt, which can lead into repeated uairs, usmash, or pivot grabs. As a mix-up but punishable, you can do bair > ftilt > utilt. The ftilt has a few more start up frames but can throw off your opponent to add a bit more damage. Several other great mix-ups are to use only the first 1 or 2 hits of bair by fastfalling. Bair can also lead into down-b. I'm not sure if it is guaranteed ever, but it can hit and it does kill.

Yoshi's bair is deceiving and many people drop their shield too early so you can follow up with the combos safely, but once they learn to shield the entire hit and expect it, you can approach like you are about to bair, and instead turn around with an egglay. This will keep your opponent guessing whether they should shield your approach, or evade by either roll, spotdodge, etc.

In general, I find that there is a huge lack in use of egg lay, which is one of my favorite attacks. Although not a very damaging move, egg lay creates a great psychological effect on your opponent. When I play someone that isnt used to Yoshi, I prey on their inexperience of my grab game. Egg lay causes them to feel a loss of control and if you read them with multiple, it is quite damaging. Outside of mindgames, egg lay is a great move to force someone to stop shielding. Besides the last setup, you can SH over the opponent and egglay the other way as a cross up. You should also experiment with DJC egg lay.

Yoshi is really good at forcing your opponent to do what you want him to do.

Yoshi's grab offers a great tool at your disposal. Dash grab and pivot grab are probably going to be your most used forms. Unless you shield extremely laggy moves or multihit moves, you shouldn't shield grab. Repeated grabs annoy your opponent quite a bit and because of it's range, you can get off chains of 4 or more grabs if you read them properly. Spaced pivot grabs are extremely hard to punish and will force your opponent in the air, which, for most characters, is exactly where you want them to be.

Eggs, which I believe is one of the best projectiles in the game since it shield pokes and has the ability to hit the opponents shield twice, force your opponent to approach. A downside to egg throwing is that it can be alittle laggy so it shouldn't be used up close. Also, faster projectiles can force you to approach instead (fox, falco). As a habit, any time I throw an egg on stage, I use ETS. If I'm on the ledge, I generally never throw more than 3 eggs. The last two or more eggs that give me momentum, I use as a precaution in case the opponent knocks me back off before I can touch the ground.

Usmash and uair have AMAZING priority, range, speed, and damage. Abuse these moves. Usmashes can chain into other usmashes and same with uairs. Of course, they aren't guaranteed, but good given certain situations.

Furthermore, do not worry about saving any moves for a kill move. Unfortunately, yoshi has no move powerful enough that is worth saving. I use all moves at all times to rack up damage extremely fast and kill at ridiculous percents. Fortunately, Yoshi is an extremely heavy character and can usually live around 180% as long as you don't get hit by unusually strong attacks like DDD's and Snake's utilt. Because of this, you end up killing them before they can kill you.

For potential kill moves, usmash, uair, and downb (grounded) are the easiest to pull off. Once you get used to an advanced Yoshi playstyle, then you should work on nairs and fsmashes as well. The sweetspot of nair is surprisingly strong and can kill rather early.

Because Yoshi has such a hard time killing, you need a wide array of kill move setups. Here are a list of different setups that I use to kill:

1) While opponent is in the air, throw an egg. Punish air dodge with uair.

2) If opponent is close to you, jab once > downb.

3) While opponent is in the air, uair to force a dodge and uair again to punish.

4) While opponent is on the ground, SH approach. While in the air, once you reach grab range against opponent, rising nair. If done correctly, you cannot be shield grabbed.

5) If the opponent is on the ground or holding on the ledge, run towards them. Once you reach a roll's length away from them, double pivot into a charged fsmash. Opponent will try to grab your running animation or roll onto the stage, both into the fsmash.

6) If you are both in the air with opponent below you, dair. Fast fall so where you finish the dair below them and uair.

7) While edgeguarding, grab the ledge. Drop from ledge to rising nair. (If they time it correctly, this could gimp you so be careful)
good stuff bwett, will add along with Scatz's frame info
Your tips are AWESOME !!!!!!!

Now Yoshi can own others !!!!!
nice pic =)

Noob question alert! Where is the "combo section"? cant find it=(
At the moment there is no "combo" section, per se. However, I'll try to get a section in the near future.

Top Bottom