• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you people deal with Olimar?

Silent Laughter

Smash Cadet
Seriously. He camps flawlessly. He throws Pikmin while never approaching and then he just grabs. I'm outranged like everywhere. And then...look I just need tips. >_>

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
You'll have to be a bit more patient than usual. No one has achieved truly perfect camp yet, you wait for him to make a mistake. Once you spot on opening, get him off stage and gimp as fast as possible.

Silent Laughter

Smash Cadet
You'll have to be a bit more patient than usual. No one has achieved truly perfect camp yet, you wait for him to make a mistake. Once you spot on opening, get him off stage and gimp as fast as possible.
Well, I say his camping is perfect because he has everything a cowardly player could ever ask for. And thanks.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Use bowser, once all those little pikman are on you.... BAMM Twirly pointed turtleshell of death. Bye bye pikman.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So wait, you'd spin the Pikmin away, which frees Olimar to pull out a new pikmin and grab you?

..?

Advance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlmaVulpix
3DS FC
0877-0828-1646
Try using projectiles, and if he throws a pikmin onto you, smash it off, that will kill it, and sooner or later he will have to pull another, then attack.

I guess.

K 2

Smash Lord
Tornado = blender
pikman = fruit

Tornado + pikman = Fruit Smoothie!!!!!!! - comes in 6 different flavors!

Royale

Smash Journeyman
He can grab you out of tornado if you dont use it carefully. I use tornado off the ground and approach with it. I also use it as a means to get him air borne so i can land in some lethal aerials. A good olimar knows he shouldnt get into an aerial game with MK. I also find approaching with dtilt at the edge of a stage can lead into a trip for him and a good dsmash for you. But i wouldnt rely on that too much, since your much safer approaching with a off ground tornado. Dont forget you need to kill any pikmin on you prior to nadoing, since the last hit of nado kills off pikmin. You cant afford to take extra damage.

Now, as a guy that likes playing Oli. Two of my favorite stages are Luigis Mansion and Mario Circuit. The platform hights make aerial approaches some times diffcult and i generally like to camp in the bottum middle of luigis mansion and under one of the ramps in Mario Circuit.

But yea like someone else pointed out, the key is Spacing. If he starts grabing back off, watch out for pikmin spam and punish when he makes mistakes.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
His strategy requires much patience since he can only grab you when you are recoverying from lag in a move. Since Meta Knight has very little lag in his aerials, I would advise that you approach with fairs and dairs continuously to keep yourself in the air so that he can't grab you. Uair is a good move to get the Pikmen off you and it allows you to fully refresh all your moves if you hit them ten times in a row so think of his pikmen toss as a opprotunity to refresh, not a pressuring tactic. Once you get Olimar in the air, you basically have the advantage so try to gimp his poor recovery and you should be good to go.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
Tornado = blender
pikman = fruit

haha yea I love beating crappy olimars.. But my friend p~s like ***** the **** out of me now a days. Try approaching him with that when he just knocks you out of it. He pivot grabs me as I am touching the group from a jump WHAT THE HELL is that... then he spaces so well I feel like I am at the disadvantage. You try gimping him off the stage and you go yes.. muhahaha!! then wTf whistle omg ??? I just got spiked somehow... when I tried to up+b to kill him and save my own life. Your best bet is try to get him off keep him off with a dair / fair and then hold the ledge. and pray that his up+b does not spike you off that random bs.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm going to go ahead and post what I posted in Atomisks thread..it kind of died after I posted this though XD.

:

I think it's in MK's favor at least 60-40.

You create options in this match-up as MK by approaching slowly and batting away projectiles as you go with fair, as you get closer to the end of the stage, olimar has less options and then you take advantage of that fact. Olimar can't pivot grab at the edge, he can't camp well there, so he's just going to try and get past you making most of his moves telegraphed(something that almost never applys to olimar).

This is the same way you should approach the match-up with GW, but MK does it better because of his aireals.

This match-up really shows how important stage control can be, and most people don't realize this.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Tornado = blender
pikman = fruit

*FACEPALM*

Don't listen to this person. Nado spam only gets you grabbed.

Martselsoep

Smash Cadet
I would say be patient and wait for an opening to attack.

Also a not for when he's in the air:

Use descending Uairs, spam it. He will have litteraly no options except to eat your Uair again and again

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to go ahead and post what I posted in Atomisks thread..it kind of died after I posted this though XD.

:

I think it's in MK's favor at least 60-40.

You create options in this match-up as MK by approaching slowly and batting away projectiles as you go with fair, as you get closer to the end of the stage, olimar has less options and then you take advantage of that fact. Olimar can't pivot grab at the edge, he can't camp well there, so he's just going to try and get past you making most of his moves telegraphed(something that almost never applys to olimar).

This is the same way you should approach the match-up with GW, but MK does it better because of his aireals.

This match-up really shows how important stage control can be, and most people don't realize this.
I am not saying that MK does not have the advantage. we are talking blow for blow. on the stage. Olimar can out DPS mk he does not need to apporach you with him throwing pikmin with good spacing. Purple ones straight murder. Off the stage yea.. Mk can own olimar but this is also considering he does not whistle your attacks and just get back on the stage anyway like he is some type of juggernot.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I would say be patient and wait for an opening to attack.

Also a not for when he's in the air:

Use descending Uairs, spam it. He will have litteraly no options except to eat your Uair again and again
This.

In theory, he should never be able to land on the ground. This may not be possible in practice, but it is a place you can outplay him...

arch knight

Smash Lord
odd how no one suggests hopping just when oli atempts a grab then dimension hit right behind him its worked for me a few times... just a suggestion

Martselsoep

Smash Cadet
odd how no one suggests hopping just when oli atempts a grab then dimension hit right behind him its worked for me a few times... just a suggestion
olimars grab comes out way faster then cape so when you ntoice the grab (which is hard to see) and you'll be like: DIMENSION CAPE KABLAAM, then you have to much lag to not be grabbed

arch knight

Smash Lord
olimars grab comes out way faster then cape so when you ntoice the grab (which is hard to see) and you'll be like: DIMENSION CAPE KABLAAM, then you have to much lag to not be grabbed
well that may be true but dimensioning in the air is actually kinda fast compared to just on ground

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
lol i dont think it does its great recovery and i use it so much. i cant do infinite but ill use it for both attackinga and defensive i dont think the cape sucks at all in my opinion its actually quite useful :laugh:
No offense, but you must lose a lot of MK dittos.

The general consensus is that cape, jab, and drill rush are his worst moves.

arch knight

Smash Lord
No offense, but you must lose a lot of MK dittos.

The general consensus is that cape, jab, and drill rush are his worst moves.
i rarely vs anyone that uses mk and i dont think any of those listed are bad moves at all i dont even use tornado often only to drive them back or for offensive recovery.
drill is by far a very strong and useful move just like cape..

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
i rarely vs anyone that uses mk and i dont think any of those listed are bad moves at all i dont even use tornado often only to drive them back or for offensive recovery.
drill is by far a very strong and useful move just like cape..
HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

Try spamming those moves against someone good. You'll get 3 stocked.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
For this match up i see how well i can do on land first before switching to air-****.

F-tilt,d-tilt, fsmash; dsmash spam.

and t-nado spam.

then o go for the d-air gimp.

get rid of the veggies and then own.

arch knight

Smash Lord
drill made middle tier and i personally think it doesnt really matter where moves are placed its how you use them not whats better... and some there even said that drill isnt that bad

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Its for recovery, not for attacks. It is actually quite useful to recover with.

And DC suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks compared to MK's other options.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I've actually been incorporating Drill Rush more into my gameplay for a little more than just recovery. (Although it is the main reason to use it.) It's actually not a bad move at all.

On topic, Olimar shouldn't be too hard to beat.

Approach with fairs and nairs to keep away pikmen. Approach with dairs as you get close, and anticipate that hyphen smash. Airdodge fastfall through it and shield. Watch his pattern from here. Alot of Oli's try another Usmash and you can punish from here. You should be able to get your grab off first. Landing behind him in the ADFF manner helps out as well. You can ftilt at them or even pivot grab them as most people don't expect it.

Edgeguarding him is overly easy. Just keep him off with fairs and dairs and just keep yourself placed well between the stage and him and there's not much he can do.

I see this as 6-4 in MK's favor. I really don't see how people were claiming this as a counter for a while there. :p

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I see this as 6-4 in MK's favor. I really don't see how people were claiming this as a counter for a while there. :p
People claimed that because he has a "Perfect camp" which has yet to be explained. Planking is "perfect" camping. Olimar can't plank.

People were claiming anything as a counter for awhile. Even the Jigglypuff boards thought she countered MK for awhile.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I am not saying that MK does not have the advantage. we are talking blow for blow. on the stage. Olimar can out DPS mk he does not need to apporach you with him throwing pikmin with good spacing. Purple ones straight murder. Off the stage yea.. Mk can own olimar but this is also considering he does not whistle your attacks and just get back on the stage anyway like he is some type of juggernot.
I don't think you understood my post at all. Go read it again and understand I was pointing out how to approach the match-up with MK and that most players fail to realize that they can create options through stage control.

Dojo

Smash Champion
People claimed that because he has a "Perfect camp" which has yet to be explained. Planking is "perfect" camping. Olimar can't plank.

People were claiming anything as a counter for awhile. Even the Jigglypuff boards thought she countered MK for awhile.

The word "Perfect" isn't relevant and shouldn't even be used for SSB. There is no such thing as a perfect camp. Or a perfect anything for that matter. To do something perfectly is to do it without any flaw throughout the entire process. To do anything "perfectly" is too know EXACTLY what to do in EVERY second of EVERY match.

This game has no perfect level to reach at the competitive. You can only keep improving. Nobody will ever have the perfect timing and spacing all the time. Nobody will ever have the perfect mindgames and know exactly what they're opponent is thinking all the time.

All obstacles can be overcome in this game, even if it's the slightest chance in hell.

Top Bottom