• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

zero212

Smash Apprentice
i think the best way to learn yourself SHTL is just the standard controls since you'll train your fingers for speed as well while doing so. it might be hard at first but just don't give up imo. (at least this is how i did it)

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, I see. What really pisses me off is the fact that Im actually able to do it, but not on command. For instance, when Im in a stationary position for a bit, I can shtl on the second or the third time. Just to make sure, this AT is essential to being any good with Fox, right?

zero212

Smash Apprentice
nah it's just really usefull to have against smaller characters but if you have troubles doing the SHTL you can also time single lasers to hit small characters like kirby,MK etc.
it's great that you can SHTL but it doesn't make a decent fox a good fox in my opinion at least.

Kuares

Pizza
i think the best way to learn yourself SHTL is just the standard controls since you'll train your fingers for speed as well while doing so. it might be hard at first but just don't give up imo. (at least this is how i did it)
I know I did the Up-taunt->Jump control switch made this technique a ton easier. If it frustrates people so much then they should just switch it instead of just dealing with it.

Just to make sure, this AT is essential to being any good with Fox, right?
Not at all, that's just the toughest simple thing to practice, you can sit and practice it in training.

The more important thing to be able to do is to know when to use what attacks and what moves link up to others. Knowing about Jab->Grab has been way more useful than SHTL. Also being able to look at the speed opponents get knocked up from an uptilt and knowing whether I should do a Fair, Uair, or wait and try to do a short-hop uair->uptilt or other trickery.

But trying to say that to someone is alot more difficult to say than, "Short hop and then laser 3 times".

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Ah, I feel ya. Its just that single lasering is 2 predictable and foes can either punish accordingly or powershield it, while triple lasering can confuse the opponent giving you a chance 2 approach.

zero212

Smash Apprentice
i'm surpised to hear you say that a single laser can get you punished. i've yet to be punished with a single laser then. and also if they do shield just keep firing those lasers it's a good shieldpoker if you use it properly

Kuares

Pizza
Heh, it doesn't really stop people at all. Fox has like no real stopping power in his projectiles unlike every other character(Falco).

There's only 1 way to SHTL, so that's actually more predictable. All you need to do is power shield the ground one and walk forwards. Once the opponents in close they eat the 2-4% so they don't get the "You think your gonna shield, Ima grab you" thing and are in on Fox.

If you don't know how to deal with close combat, your going to get hurt. That's pretty much what I see Fox's need to work on.

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Didnt think about it that way, so I will keep that in mind. But I still feel that triple lasering is the better option most of the time, because most people just dont want to get hit by a any of those lasers to begin with xD

M@v

Subarashii!
Just to make sure, this AT is essential to being any good with Fox, right?

Nope. Its like Falco's bdacus. Useful, but you don't need it. SHTL is a whole lot easier to do consistently though.

Basically its this: Your firing 3 lasers at your opponent at a time rather than 2. More is better, right? :awesome:

Kuares

Pizza
Basically its this: Your firing 3 lasers at your opponent at a time rather than 2. More is better, right? :awesome:
I still disagree.

There was a Falco I played often enough that if he did a SHDL, I'd run Upsmash before he got to ground level. Once he started to Short hop single laser that was the end of it and he never got upsmashed again for lasering again.

M@v

Subarashii!
I still disagree.

There was a Falco I played often enough that if he did a SHDL, I'd run Upsmash before he got to ground level. Once he started to Short hop single laser that was the end of it and he never got upsmashed again for lasering again.
I'd consider that more his fault, not the moves, because he was shdling too close to you. In regards to Falco, SHDL isn't safe close to the opponent. SHL is safer, but still not 100% safe because you still have to go into a short hop, which limits you to 3 options: attack, airdodge, or double jump. If your going to shl close, you do it to combo or set up a followup, not to camp. The best option with Falco when the opponent is close is to not laser at all, but rely on his other moves, since he actually has really good approaches unlike fox :p.

Mind you Fox has so-so approaches, but Falco has a lot more, and they're better.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I use dair double jab cancel shine a bit with my fox. My question is, does DA and usmash actually connect afterwards? And if so, is Bdacus an easier way of getting that to connect or no? Oh and i see a lot of people get a buffered uair> DJ uair quite a bit. how legit is that? And does Fox's uair frame trap like Falcos?

M@v

Subarashii!
So this is a kinda noobish question for the level of skill im at (A.K.A. I should know this by now, shame on me), but how do you do the reverse upsmash while running(The inputs).

I case you dont know what I'm talking about it is when you dash, but when you upsmash, you face the way you dashed from.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
So this is a kinda noobish question for the level of skill of at(A.K.A. I should know this by now, shame on me), but how do you do the reverse upsmash while running(The inputs).

I case you dont know what I'm talking about is when you dash, but when you upsmash, you face the way you dashed from.
Dash, Reverse Arial Rush and cancel the jump with an up-smash.

Example moving from left to right:

Dash right.

Tap left.

Jump.

Cancel with an Up smash.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I use dair double jab cancel shine a bit with my fox. My question is, does DA and usmash actually connect afterwards? And if so, is Bdacus an easier way of getting that to connect or no? Oh and i see a lot of people get a buffered uair> DJ uair quite a bit. how legit is that? And does Fox's uair frame trap like Falcos?
Can anyone answer this?

Kuares

Pizza
Besides Oos upsmash, what are some other options Fox has out of shield?
Well Fox can specifically Jumpcancle shine, Jump-cancel Firefox, andJump-can-soul Illusion.

Other characters have the option to roll, jump, spotdodge, or even grab when they're in shield, sadly Fox can't do these.

TKD

Smash Lord
Fox only has JC usmash and JC upb. Shine and sideb don't begin until the end of your jump.
Fox's best options from block are shieldgrab, usmash from block, unblock & walk+smash/grab or dash attack/dash usmash. Unblock utilt is good too.

Fox's best stages are generally Battlefield and Yoshi's Island. Final Destination is neutral unless you're against a character that chain-grabs you. Brinstar is always bad for probably every char but MK/G&W (and Wario if he's not against them). Frigate and Halberd are subpar against crawlers and MK, but you can work around that. In general, Siege may be the worst (besides Brinstar).

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
I normally don't post here, but I have two questions:

First off, does fox's BDACUS serve any purpose?

And second, under Uzi's guide, shine to upsmash is listed as a true combo. I was just wondering how to do this, if it's possible. Is it just as simple as buffering a dash and then doing a running upsmash, or is there something else involved?

Thanks in advanced~

knuckles213

Smash Ace
YI is no that bad to play on unless you got bad match up, I have to agree with siege being the worst stage for fox becouse first two transformations. Brinstar only works against ICs and pika. And whats is a Bdacus for fox?

udov

Smash Cadet
It is only guaranteed as long as MK air releases, which shouldn't happen when facing knowledgeable Metaknights (when Fox grabs him, MK's feet are still on the ground, which means he will only air release if the player inputs a jump command).
However, on some stages where the ground is uneven (PS1, CS, Lylat, Delfino, ...), or if you grab MK when he is in the air, you can force him to air break (if you don't pummel).

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
It is only guaranteed as long as MK air releases, which shouldn't happen when facing knowledgeable Metaknights (when Fox grabs him, MK's feet are still on the ground, which means he will only air release if the player inputs a jump command).
However, on some stages where the ground is uneven (PS1, CS, Lylat, Delfino, ...), or if you grab MK when he is in the air, you can force him to air break (if you don't pummel).
actually this is not true. if fox grabs mk out of the air and buffers a pummel the mk will get grab released, mashing or no mashing.this is guaranteed :)

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
how do you do the RAR? Like if I wanted to do a reverse Usmash oos how would I do that?
Thanks!

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
So what should I do when I am being single chaingrabbed by the Ice Climers? Should I shine or jump or just sit back and relax? I just want to know what the best option to escape the chaingrab is in case they mess up.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
So what should I do when I am being single chaingrabbed by the Ice Climers? Should I shine or jump or just sit back and relax? I just want to know what the best option to escape the chaingrab is in case they mess up.
Jumping seems to work better but you run the risk of using your second jump in the middle of their chain grab. Like this one time I was solo cging a pikachu and he used his second jump when he was trying to mash out and didn't know about it, so he was put in a bad situation when he got Fsmashed at the edge. I havent played very many fox's with my ic's so its kinda hard to say :/

Btw does anybody know how to RAR? is it like a B reverse only with an areal or something? I saw on the fox guide you can do a reverse Usmash oos by using rar but I can't find any guides or how to's on how to do it :/

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Questions

• Which stages are the worst for Fox against Meta Knight? (Besides of Brinstar/Rainbow Cruise).

• What DI/SDI direction is the best to escape Fox's D-Air, Dash Attack (to not get U-Tilted/comboed) and U-Tilt combos? (Or any way to escape those attacks taking the least amount of damage possible)

• What DI/SDI direction is the best to survive Fox's U-Smash? And the best DI/SDI to survive Fox's second U-Air hit? And also, the best DI/SDI to escape Fox's second U-Air hit?

Thanks in advance!

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
@BadKarma
Thanks for the input.
Also to do a RAR you have to dash, smash the control stick in the other direction, then jump. You cancel the jump with an Upsmash to do a running pivot Upsmash.

@ZeRo
Don't you think you should ask the Meta Knight boards?

udov

Smash Cadet
Thanks for pointing that out CRZ :p

how do you do the RAR? Like if I wanted to do a reverse Usmash oos how would I do that?
Thanks!
I'll just copy/paste what I found :

"It is performed by dashing, then quickly smashing the control stick in the opposite direction, immediately jumping, and then using your back aerial."
More info here:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Reverse_Aerial_Rush
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Reverse_Aerial_Rush

Basically, to do a reverse Usmash you just need to do a RAR faster, so as not to leave the ground. To perform it, I just press X and A at the same time (while holding up) after tilting the control stick in the opposite direction. It's actually very easy.

So what should I do when I am being single chaingrabbed by the Ice Climers? Should I shine or jump or just sit back and relax?
I wouldn’t risk wasting your second jump because against competent players, that could mean losing a stock.
I usually go for shines but honestly, I've rarely ever seen Ice climbers mess up this chaingrab :(

Which stages are the worst for Fox against Meta Knight? (Besides of Brinstar/Rainbow Cruise).

Despite its low ceiling, I think Halberd is a bad stage for Fox, all the more so when facing Metaknight. The flying platform is very annoying and hinders Fox’s mobility.
Delfino Plaza, Frigate Orpheon and maybe Castle Siege too are good choices for MK.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
@BadKarma
@ZeRo
Don't you think you should ask the Meta Knight boards?
Well, the Fox mains know a lot about the Meta Knight match up and its properties. So, I tought that asking them directly was my best option for someone to answer my questions :).

Thanks for pointing that out CRZ :p
Despite its low ceiling, I think Halberd is a bad stage for Fox, all the more so when facing Metaknight. The flying platform is very annoying and hinders Fox’s mobility.
Delfino Plaza, Frigate Orpheon and maybe Castle Siege too are good choices for MK.
I see, I'm definitely going to try your reccomendations. What about Lylat Cruise? Is that a good or bad choice? Thanks for your answers!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Fox attempts to dair but I manage to shield it. What should I do then? There doesn't seem to be much room for punishing.

crifer

Smash Lord
Fox attempts to dair but I manage to shield it. What should I do then? There doesn't seem to be much room for punishing.
not sure, if serious....

If you´re mk... grab (works vor every character), nair, dair OOS, upB.
dair has 12 frames ending lag, enough room to punish.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I always had the image that it's pretty safe on shield. That should make things a lot easier now that I play Ice Climbers.

Top Bottom