• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
No you don't

I saw G.I. Joe and District 9 at the drive in last night...

G.I. Joe= Loved it

District 9= One of the worst movies i have ever seen. i thought it was a joke
Yes. Tyson I agree. District 9 is a waste of time. It's kool at some parts(I won't mention that why I don't ruin the movie)

I heard from Razer that GI JOE was bad. Maybe he's wrong. IDK

But, "THE GOODS" is ****ing hilarous. It's kinda got that "BIG DADDY" comedy in it, mixed in with a little Will Ferral humor.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Yes, I saw that one as well. That movie is pretty good for the most part. Your gonna find everyone in the movie laughing because of Brad Pitt's accent but, oh well.
Lol he was so good and funny. So many people made cringing sounds and stuff at many of the gross/graphic parts. But it was good.

Dojo

Smash Champion
yea since when does the better player always need to win? ever heard of gimp? no, metanight cant be gimped. sure, ADHD won. he johns at genesis, and i think m2k won at evo, right? sometimes a character should lose to disadvantages. does mk have any? no just slightly good advantages is his low point. i can call you bias by the fact that you main diddy, so its easy to go along with him. i blame the genesis resuult, well actually ally, for confusing ppl the truth. if he woulda gotten 4th, mk would be banned. im not bias because of marth. but every person ive talked to who have been playing competitive games for awhle have said, ''mk is by far the most broken character i have ever seen''. but its the TOs that make the decision. just dont think im bias, when your character won the tourny.

Lol who are you talking to.

It's not bad at all. Especially here in Texas. I am the only MK player in Texas, that consistently places in top spots at every tourney. Even without that I still place progressively higher with my secondaries on NO practice.

MK doesn't take alot of our top spots until we attract the other top 2-3 MK players from around the country. It's happened TWICE in Texas, and that is it.

MK is the best character no doubt. He is in no means broken.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
yea since when does the better player always need to win? ever heard of gimp? no, metanight cant be gimped. sure, ADHD won. he johns at genesis, and i think m2k won at evo, right? sometimes a character should lose to disadvantages. does mk have any? no just slightly good advantages is his low point. i can call you bias by the fact that you main diddy, so its easy to go along with him. i blame the genesis resuult, well actually ally, for confusing ppl the truth. if he woulda gotten 4th, mk would be banned. im not bias because of marth. but every person ive talked to who have been playing competitive games for awhle have said, ''mk is by far the most broken character i have ever seen''. but its the TOs that make the decision. just dont think im bias, when your character won the tourny.
Lol really? Ivan Ooze and Pet Shop have something to say about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-g4TqMFemY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Fqvd1W358

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I just saw District 9. It's pretty good. Like, I dunno what sort of anticipation you guys had before watching it. I'll go see Inglorious Basterds this coming weekend.

And then it's Hobo time next one...I can't wait. :)

Morningstar

Smash Journeyman
District 9 was the most original movie I've seen in a long time, and I found it incredibly humorous and moderately accurate that the only likable characters in the movie weren't human.

GI Joe is good for mindless fun.

Inglourious Basterds was a well-made movie but left me feeling a little empty. Not enough Basterd screen time IMO and the action scenes (which I thought would be plentiful and mind-blowing) were over too quickly. I know Tarantino is mostly about dialogue but he can film some intense action scenes. It kind of disappointed me that there weren't more of them.

And P4, I like your avatar. :p

Broly

Smash Lord
pfft, you ARE the only mk here dojo. infinity was great, but never continued. my only problem is the random ppl who will counter pick players with mk just to abuse his brokness. melee1 on inui, sethlon on utd zac, bear on me, etc...

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
pfft, you ARE the only mk here dojo. infinity was great, but never continued. my only problem is the random ppl who will counter pick players with mk just to abuse his brokness. melee1 on inui, sethlon on utd zac, bear on me, etc...
You play to win the game. Why the heck would you spend money to enter a tourney if you arent willing to do whatever u have to (by the rules) to be successful.

Mk is definitely a great char dont get me wrong, but it comes down to matchup xp if people that dont main him are beating your mains. He is an "easy" char to pick up, but if you try to cp mk on a guy that knows the matchup backwards, you wont get very far.

I feel like mk has more of a huge mental advantage on alot of people rather than an insurmountable mechanical one.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Well, Broly, if it makes you feel any better, I beat you with Pika in the first set of our match. Marth is arguably Pika's worst match up. :)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
People are getting better. You know that ADHD was absolutely horrible against IC's at genesis? He knew it to. He sought me out and asked for friendlies so he could practice Diddy vs IC's. I wrecked him. He goes back to the EC, picks up IC's and studies them, practices and then beats Lain, the best IC player. Then proceeds on to beat M2K 3-0 and Ally in two sets, not even going to the 5th game.

That's called determination. Overcoming your walls through analyzing your play and correcting your faults. Practicing. Not setting false limitations on yourself because you believe you are bad at a match-up or can't beat a character because they are too good. Using your creativity to adapt and create options. Bettering yourself as a player to win instead of trying to take the easy way out.

The people that do this are the very people you see dominating tournaments. M2K, Ally, Dojo, ADHD, the list goes on. You know what they don't do on the boards? Complain.

So really think about how much you are limiting our state Xyro even with this one city banning Metaknight. You look to the EC and see player progressing over the best metaknight in the world through exposure and practice. Taking the easy way out isn't helping us in anyways, only limiting our exposure to the best character in the game, who is used at practically every other tournament in the world.

Unban metaknight. Please. Doing things the hard way will turn out for the better in the end. We have so many talented players here, and to top if off mostly everyone gets along and has a good time, We are one of the best states at this game easily, and counted as a region on our own by some. What kind of example do we set by just banning mk while other regions are instead beating him? While THEY have the MK problem, not us.

Let's just...win :).

On another note, everyone in texas better start preparing for Pound4 now. Plan out your tickets, inquire about getting off at work, see what your school schedule will be like..A lot of us are interested in going, and the more the better :). I don't want to see any last minute johns about not being able to go :). Everyone should make this. We need to set an example of how to have a **** load of fun while still being amazing at the game :p. Shove off all that EC and WC drama.

Texas gots this <3.

Broly

Smash Lord
You play to win the game. Why the heck would you spend money to enter a tourney if you arent willing to do whatever u have to (by the rules) to be successful.

Mk is definitely a great char dont get me wrong, but it comes down to matchup xp if people that dont main him are beating your mains. He is an "easy" char to pick up, but if you try to cp mk on a guy that knows the matchup backwards, you wont get very far.

I feel like mk has more of a huge mental advantage on alot of people rather than an insurmountable mechanical one.
so are you telling me utd zac sux against mk? or does inui suck against mk? ive played against mk since brawls release, yet mk on random *** cp like rainbow cruise, or delfino and you are fuked. i know very well mk is beatable, but is he abused in mid and low play, hell yea he is

yea bear, thats why ya went mk at the end right? where was the pika confidence?

Nike.

Smash Hero
On another note, everyone in texas better start preparing for Pound4 now. Plan out your tickets, inquire about getting off at work, see what your school schedule will be like..A lot of us are interested in going, and the more the better :). I don't want to see any last minute johns about not being able to go :). Everyone should make this. We need to set an example of how to have a **** load of fun while still being amazing at the game :p. Shove off all that EC and WC drama.

Texas gots this <3.
This guys. Go check out the tourny thread. The Texas hotel at Genesis was amazing. And Pound will prolly be just as fun

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK is definitely a great char dont get me wrong, but it comes down to matchup xp if people that dont main him are beating your mains. He is an "easy" char to pick up, but if you try to cp mk on a guy that knows the matchup backwards, you wont get very far.
I've seen the best DK players in the world lose to people that don't main Dedede. Matchup Experience will only go so far, it's entirely possible to still lose a matchup where your character has the disadvantage but you also know a LOT more than your opponent. Knowing a lot about a disadvantaged matchup will not change the fact that your character is... disadvantaged lol.

I would disagree. Most of the best characters in the game have insane frame data/options compared to the rest of the cast. The only Top tier character IMO that really has a "mental" advantage on people is Wario since a lot of people still don't fully grasp how well he can move. That or possibly Diddy.

If you look closer at MK's frame data, you would see more of a "mechanical" advantage. I'll give you some examples:

Grounded Shuttle Loop invincibility frames start at frame 5 (lasts til frame 8 I believe). This means that if you are at a standstill with another character and MK initiates Shuttle Loop at the same time that the other person initiates a grab, that MK will be invincible and avoid the grab while hitting back with his Upb.

His Bair, when autocancelled right, has a FRAME ADVANTAGE against the opponent. That means MK can Bair someone's shield AND ATTACK THEM AGAIN before they can move (they can attempt to Shield grab or Upb OOS, but they only have 4 frames to catch you assuming they move frame perfect, which means that even if you were in range for a shield grab that MK could spot dodge it).

But of course, you probably already knew this and decided anyways to say MK doesn't have that big of a in game advantage over people. :)

*I'm not posting that as a "Ban MK" or "Keep MK banned" message, I'm just bothered when people basically say or suggest "Lol MK's not that good you just need to get better". It's one thing if you don't think MK is broken, but to honestly think he doesn't have that big of an advantage over the rest of the cast when talking about frame data or hitboxes? Why else is he clearly the best character in the game if it's not because he has the best options? lol.*

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Broly...why would Beah try to risk his worst match up again? He just played it safe by CP'ing.

Nothing wrong with that. I also do not think MK should be banned.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Lol, you still lost the match. Also, I changed characters cause I love to counter pick. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that already. :) Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you lose a MM to Light's Sheik. That match up is almost a joke. C'mon now.

Pound 4, I've already scheduled for it.

Gnes

Smash Master
Ugh...i dont know what to say...but i basically agree with Hylian.

Though nothing will probably change though. I wonder how Pro-Banners fill about SNES, after a ****ING DIDDY won, not mk, not snake, but diddy whos not on either of those chrs. level.

Broly

Smash Lord
I've seen the best DK players in the world lose to people that don't main Dedede. Matchup Experience will only go so far, it's entirely possible to still lose a matchup where your character has the disadvantage but you also know a LOT more than your opponent. Knowing a lot about a disadvantaged matchup will not change the fact that your character is... disadvantaged lol.

I would disagree. Most of the best characters in the game have insane frame data/options compared to the rest of the cast. The only Top tier character IMO that really has a "mental" advantage on people is Wario since a lot of people still don't fully grasp how well he can move. That or possibly Diddy.

If you look closer at MK's frame data, you would see more of a "mechanical" advantage. I'll give you some examples:

Grounded Shuttle Loop invincibility frames start at frame 5 (lasts til frame 8 I believe). This means that if you are at a standstill with another character and MK initiates Shuttle Loop at the same time that the other person initiates a grab, that MK will be invincible and avoid the grab while hitting back with his Upb.

His Bair, when autocancelled right, has a FRAME ADVANTAGE against the opponent. That means MK can Bair someone's shield AND ATTACK THEM AGAIN before they can move (they can attempt to Shield grab or Upb OOS, but they only have 4 frames to catch you assuming they move frame perfect, which means that even if you were in range for a shield grab that MK could spot dodge it).

But of course, you probably already knew this and decided anyways to say MK doesn't have that big of a in game advantage over people. :)

*I'm not posting that as a "Ban MK" or "Keep MK banned" message, I'm just bothered when people basically say or suggest "Lol MK's not that good you just need to get better". It's one thing if you don't think MK is broken, but to honestly think he doesn't have that big of an advantage over the rest of the cast when talking about frame data or hitboxes? Why else is he clearly the best character in the game if it's not because he has the best options? lol.*
^^this

i wish i knew the game as much as this, or as in depth. i hate having to resort to my oppinion as an argument, so thx dmg. i could care lees wheather mk is in or not. i agree with hylian that texas needs to learn the matchup better. there should be a turn based tourny where mk is banned or unbanned each time. only thing is hylian, is do ppl care wheather texas gets better, or do they care bout getting 1st place? think about that

im sorry if i dont look at smashboards 24/7. i lost, are ya happy about it? dont give me that, '' i love cping'' bull when its mk. of course its safe. ITS MK. im not gonna get into a huge argument, so lets do a $10 mm, and better player wins, m'kay?

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
i would quote if i cared more, but ill just reiterate what i said before.

Matchups are only impossible for the disadvantaged if they are both being played to perfection.
DMG, obviously there are some LOL matchups out there, but those are few in number. Also, many chars have moves that are safe on block, i dunno what u meant by a few of those statements.

My point is if other people are able to go out and beat the top Mks using their mains, whats stopping the people that take this game seriously from beating those who dont even focus on him.

Im pretty sure Zac has said something about GaW and MK not being too far apart matchup wise before.

Anyways, if you actually care about getting better at this game, and are willing to put in the work to get there, you will start to see progress. Progress is a slow process, and never let the "facts" get in ur way of getting things done.

EDIT: i just put a level 9 marth against a level 9 mk and lowered the level of the mk until the marth won. level 6 mk v level 9 marth was competitive. LOL

TGM

Smash Lord
This weekend proved NOTHING(like normal). Metaknight WILL stay banned in HOBOs. You people think "well we dont have alot of metas in tx so we shouldnt ban him" or "OMG meta lost SNES, GEN, APEX....ect he shouldnt be banned"

thats not any where close to the point!

How many times have you seen a lower level player(non dojo,razer,gnes,utd) go meta and beat you? Light/Bear/santi.......ect and much much more. You beat the **** out of there main and they switch to meta and win(it wouldnt be so bad if meta had a counter char or stage, but he doesnt). Its not about a META winning an event, its about all the people who they steal wins from you during the tournament. However, this is just ONE of the MANY reasons why i banned him. I wont go into it because it will cause you guys to lose focus on why im posting.

HOBO 18 UPDATE:

Dugfinn can hold 4-5 people
Seiya claimed about 14-17 people(if you can help lighten his load, plz speak up)
Esca can hold 4-5
Smoom(maybe?) 3-4 people

PLEASE contact them ASAP for housing needs. Thier phone numbers are on the front page and on the "texas travel plans" group. Please bring full-set-ups(wii/tv/ssbb) and you will NOT have to pay your entry fee(good ol PZ) but if you choose to stay for the lock-in you will have to pay the remainder.

I cant check PMs on my xyro account, so has ANY oos player asked about housing for hobo18? if so, PLEASE give them priority when it comes to that issue. if you see them ask in the hobo 18 thread, please answer thier question while im away.

One last thing, please be at PZ on time. I WILL charge the 5$ late fee if you do not show up on time, after hobo17 ive "had it up to here" with people being late and not doing **** right. PLEASE BE ON TIME. Oh and TYS will NOT be at hobo18, de angelo is gonna sit this one out.

If you have ANY questions or comments, PM my xyro77 account(ill return on 26th) or call me at 409-692-0697 or aim me at xyro77

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
killing time.

Edit for nonsense: Steal wins? If you are that afraid of losing to meta and you feel like your character of choice cant compete, why not find a char that can. Lol @ lower level player.

If you cant beat said lower level player w/o inhibiting him, then you are lower than he. And if you still lose after inhibiting him then laughing shall ensue.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
would you have been happier broly is beah picked snake instead and still won? pika vs marth is a bad matchup for pika 65:35 iirc, he decided to turn the tables and go 35:65 on you, well against marth since he only has 1 horrible matchup so i gues tahts a bad example.

Broly

Smash Lord
haha its all good, i use to watch a 64 man tourny of cpus in melee. ganon always won except falco wont the last one.

magik, i miss you

Player-4

See you in 25 years
EDIT: i just put a level 9 marth against a level 9 mk and lowered the level of the mk until the marth won. level 6 mk v level 9 marth was competitive. LOL
I've watched a level 3 Lucas vs a level 3 Ness with heytallman.

there were so many empty short hops... and ****ing ness would always walk or roll in a charged up-smash.

so entertaining.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
i would quote if i cared more, but ill just reiterate what i said before.

Matchups are only impossible for the disadvantaged if they are both being played to perfection.
DMG, obviously there are some LOL matchups out there, but those are few in number. Also, many chars have moves that are safe on block, i dunno what u meant by a few of those statements.
I'll give you a GREAT example for matchups:

My Wario vs a Marth

I know that matchup extremely well. A lot of Marths don't know that matchup, certainly not to the extent that I do. Even if they are as good as me, I usually win if they don't know what exactly to do. Most people would agree that the matchup is somewhere around 60:40 Marth's favor. I CAN overcome a matchup by having more knowledge than the other guy, but I'm still fighting an uphill fight. If my opponent cannot adapt/isn't good enough to beat me when his character has a clear advantage over mine, that is his fault.

If I CP someone with MK, let's say Dedede who most people think loses 6:4 to MK, my lack of knowledge on how to play MK against Dedede doesn't change the fact that Dedede will be fighting an uphill fight. It MAY mean that he has a better chance of overcoming the matchup and beating me, but it doesn't change the fundamentals at all.

Im pretty sure Zac has said something about GaW and MK not being too far apart matchup wise before.
Zac firmly believes (last time I checked) MK is a terrible matchup for G&W, if not his worst matchup. I agree with him.

Anyways, if you actually care about getting better at this game, and are willing to put in the work to get there, you will start to see progress. Progress is a slow process, and never let the "facts" get in ur way of getting things done.
I WANT people to make progress and get better. The thing is, no matter HOW much they progress, it won't change the facts/fundamentals about the game and the characters in it.

You can have a MK player and a Wario player stride together improving, and it's not gonna change the fact that MK still has a good matchup on Wario. No matter HOW good I get, EVEN IF I WAS 2X BETTER THAN M2K, IT WOULD NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT WARIO LOSES TO MK! If I was that good and a MK player never ever beat me, the matchup WOULD STILL BE THE SAME!

Think about it this way: You ask players to improve with their characters, to strive to be the best and what not, to climb mountains with their character and achieve bigger and better things. That's fine, I applaud the encouragement to players out there. But when you talk about characters raising their metagame further to match MK, have you ever thought about MK raising his OWN metagame further?

It's clear ADHD stepped up his game at SNES to beat M2K and Ally, he did his homework and improved. Now, who's to say that M2K isn't going to go home and step up HIS game? If you are asking other characters to "level up" to get closer to MK's level, why assume that MK himself cannot climb ladders or reach new heights? If MK is the best character in the game, that would lead me to believe that he can reach a higher Metagame that any other character, otherwise why is he the best character?

If you are telling people who lose to MK to simply "get better" to overcome the matchup, then you should go tell the MK's who lose to characters they have an advantaged matchup against to "get better" so that the represent the matchup accurately.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I agree with hylian of course. The players are proving that MK shouldnt be banned. If he's the best character, he's more than likely gonna win more tournaments. But if other characters are winning, why ban him? Also, when the best smash player overall all is using the best character in the game, that also highers the chance of seeing MK at the top. If the best smash player was using a unbeatable character, he should win the tournament no problem. Not get 3-0'd by another character, and lose again to a character thats not even top 3.

Pleaaaase un ban MK. Or at least let the players decide during their match if they want to allow MK. For instance, I get dojo in bracket, if I agree to letting him use MK, then it should be legit =]

Broly

Smash Lord
that last part was dumb, jerm. ppl will just ban him to ensure a better matchup. i say even numbered hobos ban mk, odd numbered ones unban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom