• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't care much about MK, I care more about peoples mentalities holding them back. Can't overcome what you don't believe you can beat in the first place. There is a reason many top players don't care about match-ups.

Gnes

Smash Master
that last part was dumb, jerm. ppl will just ban him to ensure a better matchup. i say even numbered hobos ban mk, odd numbered ones unban
Speak for yourself son. I need my quality mk experience. I cant wait to go to Pound and get ***** by the OoS mks. It will be delicious.

True Hylian, though i do think of one matchup alot...mister grim turtle.

TGM

Smash Lord
Pleaaaase un ban MK. Or at least let the players decide during their match if they want to allow MK. For instance, I get dojo in bracket, if I agree to letting him use MK, then it should be legit =]
Even if both players agree, metaknight will not be allowed at my HOBOs.

If you want meta practice SOOOOOO much:

1. Pick him up
2. Friendlie meta mains
3. MM meta mains

No johns about "friendlies arnt serious!!!!" Make them serious. Case closed. Just cause YOU like or can beat good metas doesnt mean that the rest of the players should suffer.

UTD: im sorry about postin on this account but this meta ban stuff has to do with my rules at hobo 18 and pretty much ALL hobos

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Results from what I remember:

1st: ADHD(Diddy)
2nd: Ally(Snake)
3rd: M2K(MK)
4th: Lain(IC's)
5th: Atomsk(DDD/IC's/Luigi)
5th: Anther?(Pika)
7th: Reflex?(PT/Wario)
7th: Pikapika(Pikachu?)

I think those were it >_>.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Could you give me a reason why you wont allow players to agree on using MK? This way nobody suffers.

We cant even submit our hobo results to the characters rankings list cause of no MK =/

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Character rankings are trash, accept it.

Actually, they aren't that big a thing...so why worry?

Suspect

Smash Hero
wait, didnt atomsk beat anther?

so he couldnt have tied with him, so anther got 7th maybe

dang pikapika did good, seen him in the chat but never really heard of him

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
wait, didnt atomsk beat anther?

so he couldnt have tied with him, so anther got 7th maybe

dang pikapika did good, seen him in the chat but never really heard of him
Atomsk beat Pikapika.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, anther got 7th I think.

And I think the character rankings thread is pretty cool. Legit way to keep track of how a character is doing. And being one of the best TL's I cant help out my character much cause my biggest tournaments dont even count.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So if players agree to use MK in tournament you will DQ them both?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't care much about MK, I care more about peoples mentalities holding them back. Can't overcome what you don't believe you can beat in the first place. There is a reason many top players don't care about match-ups.
Perseverance is one thing, ignoring the fact that your character still loses to MK is another.

TGM

Smash Lord
Could you give me a reason why you wont allow players to agree on using MK? This way nobody suffers.

We cant even submit our hobo results to the characters rankings list cause of no MK =/
Chararcter rankings chart means 100% nothing. So many small time/no skill events get counted and it skews results big time. The standards are so low that ANYBODY can get 13 people at thier house and submit the results.

Dojo vs Jerm. Lets say each time you guys meet, you beat his diddy. But at hobo 18 you decide to let him go meta.....its obvious you WONT win where as normally you would have had he gone diddy.............in other words it skews results.

Hylian, yes. People are allowed to break certain NON important rules. Playing on FD all 3
games or allowing the foe to infinite them or whatever. But this meta ban thing is VERY important and i cant allow the rule to be broken.

now that i think about it, ive given up SOOOOOO much in the past. I banned a **** load of broken things and ive slowly made them legal again. metaknight will NOT be one of those.

or maybe it will. i have an idea.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Perseverance is one thing, ignoring the fact that your character still loses to MK is another.
My character doesn't lose to MK. Match-ups are subjective.

Chararcter rankings chart means 100% nothing. So many small time/no skill events get counted and it skews results big time. The standards are so low that ANYBODY can get 13 people at thier house and submit the results.

Dojo vs Jerm. Lets say each time you guys meet, you beat his diddy. But at hobo 18 you decide to let him go meta.....its obvious you WONT win where as normally you would have had he gone diddy.............in other words it skews results.

Hylian, yes.
Huh? You know Dojo beat Jerm at Hobo17 without MK right?

You banning mk is the only thing skewering results.

Edit: Xyro it's been a part of the standard ruleset for pretty much any smash tournament that if two players agree on something they can do it. It's generally even IN the rulesets.

Running MK banned tournaments is fine and all by me, but you can't force your opinion on others.

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
This discussion is fruitless.

All im seeing is a person with the control doing what he wants without thinking about the long term.
Maybe this will inspire another TO to get things the way they should be.

MK isnt going anywhere, so while texas is forced to run away from him and his "broknness" other states will get ***** and get better.

Also, if mk had d3-dk type matchups with many other chars it would be cause for concern, but to say it is unfair that you have to play better to get past mk is just wasting efforts you could be using to get better.

Also, if he is so brokn, then just play him yourself and win, should be easy.

TGM

Smash Lord

Huh? You know Dojo beat Jerm at Hobo17 without MK right?

You banning mk is the only thing skewering results.

Edit: Xyro it's been a part of the standard ruleset for pretty much any smash tournament that if two players agree on something they can do it. It's generally even IN the rulesets.

Running MK banned tournaments is fine and all by me, but you can't force your opinion on others.
its making them more clean if anything.

The day of bear/light/esca...ect(i am not against ANY of you, im just picking you because i see it ALOT) beat people who they do not deserve to beat are over. The days of not being able to CP meta by stage/char are over. if you want meta practice, ive stated how to get it(read a few posts above) which means if you have ways of not being "held back"

However, if you are up for a deal, i am willing to make meta knight legal again.

EDIT: im not forcing opinions, im forcing rules.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@TGM: It's fine.

The only problem i see with NOT allowing people to agree to use MK for THEIR OWN tourney match is that some people already do this, but in other forms.

For example, when DMG and I met at Game Exchange tournament, we played Duelist 2/3.
Another example, I know of some people who just flip-a-coin or play RPS instead of playing out their match (for w/e reason, but yes it happens).

I've never seen a TO say "No you guys can't just flip-a-coin or concede to the other person, you MUST play out your match with my rules." Imo, I think that's silly.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Well, if you want to use my match as an example. Dojo used kirby on me. I beat him game one, he won game 2, then game 3 was played to the timer, with him winning. So him not having MK, just made it much harder for him, cause he didnt have his main, but he still won.

Also, you still didnt answer my question, why cant both players agree?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
its making them more clean if anything.

The day of bear/light/esca...ect(i am not against ANY of you, im just picking you because i see it ALOT) beat people who they do not deserve to beat(. The days of not being able to CP meta by stage/char are over. Those days are over. if you want meta practice, ive stated how to get it(read a few posts above)

However, if you are up for a deal, i am willing to make meta knight legal again.

EDIT: im not forcing opinions, im forcing rules.

Why are you so insulting? NO ONE deserves to beat someone else. NO MATTER WHAT. Victories are not pre-determined. Anyone can play better in a match. All that matters is who won. Skill means absolutely nothing if you don't win with it. Saying that anyone doesn't deserve to beat someone is incredibly condescending and rude.

What is this deal?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You forget, he's a TYRANT.

I'd color the hood green, but it would take too long. :)

Gnes

Smash Master
Playing in a tourney environment is completely different than playing in a MM or friendlies. Dojo according to HOBO 17 will beat anyone except for me and razer...INCLUDING MIKEHAZE.(:3mike) with meta.

Hmm...im tired.

Arent we still the only major meta-banned state?

THAT PIC IS HILARIOUS!!!!!

THE GREEN LESBIAN EMPEROR!!! GO GO GO

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I'm fine with being a meta-banned state, even if it's the only one. I don't think we lose players from our tournaments because we ban MK. If the MK mains are ok with it, then go for it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
We aren't even an "offical" banned state, it's just Hobos that have him banned. Other Texas tourneys don't have MK banned, right?

So who cares, lol.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm fine with being a meta-banned state, even if it's the only one. I don't think we lose players from our tournaments because we ban MK. If the MK mains are ok with it, then go for it.
It's not about losing players, it's about our top players losing tournament experience against Dojo. You really think Gnes or Razer are satisfied beating Dojo's Diddy/kirby? They are as good as they are for a reason. They don't settle for an easy win. They want to improve.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Are you telling me IC's go 50:50 or better with MK? That's a pretty bold claim, one that I don't think has been backed with sufficient tournament results to prove it.

$10 MM my MK with your IC's, best of 3/5 or 4/7, SBR ruleset. If IC's truly do that good, then obviously I will see it in our MM.

@TGM: It's fine.

The only problem i see with NOT allowing people to agree to use MK for THEIR OWN tourney match is that some people already do this, but in other forms.

For example, when DMG and I met at Game Exchange tournament, we played Duelist 2/3.
Another example, I know of some people who just flip-a-coin or play RPS instead of playing out their match (for w/e reason, but yes it happens).

I've never seen a TO say "No you guys can't just flip-a-coin or concede to the other person, you MUST play out your match with my rules." Imo, I think that's silly.
^^^Yeah.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Why do we even argue about MK anyways? It's just about all anyone talks about and it never gets anywhere.

Now join me around the campfire as I get out my acoustic guitar.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Are you telling me IC's go 50:50 or better with MK? That's a pretty bold claim, one that I don't think has been backed with sufficient tournament results to prove it.

$10 MM my MK with your IC's, best of 3/5 or 4/7, SBR ruleset. If IC's truly do that good, then obviously I will see it in our MM.

^^^Yeah.
You completely missed my point, but sure why not. 3/5 $10 IC's vs MK.

Then we can do $10 IC's vs Wario 3/5 as well. That's a match-up I believe IC's lose.

Also, your logic is horrible lol. MM's don't prove anything. Match-up ratios are arbitrary and don't mean **** in high level play. It's just a mental block to most people.

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
@hylian: thats what ive been trying to say this entire time. if you cant beat some1's non-"main" with ur char of choice then find a better option to give urself more confidence in doing so.

Believing you are guaranteed a win, based on whatever, is just giving urself a handicap.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
We aren't even an "offical" banned state, it's just Hobos that have him banned. Other Texas tourneys don't have MK banned, right?

So who cares, lol.
Might aren't.

Only exception was a December tournament last year, because I was in the Christmas Spirit lol.

I'm on a mission to save the San Antonio scene since its kinda dead atm, so announcements will be coming later.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You completely missed my point, but sure why not. 3/5 $10 IC's vs MK.

Then we can do $10 IC's vs Wario 3/5 as well. That's a match-up I believe IC's lose.

Also, your logic is horrible lol. MM's don't prove anything. Match-up ratios are arbitrary and don't mean **** in high level play. It's just a mental block to most people.
You said IC's don't lose to MK. I offered a MM so you would have a fair chance to persuade me to think likewise. I personally do not think they beat or go even with MK. If you were to win, I would be more inclined to believe that they can do that well against MK.

Matchups matter, ESPECIALLY at high level play. Hell that is what matchups are supposed to be BASED off of lol. When we see M2K run out the clock on Meep, we're supposed to go "Hey, that looks pretty accurate matchup wise, and kinda gay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom